Catching Hell The Bartman Story

elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,375
edited September 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Anybody else see this last night? Chicago peeps, what do you think. This is some crazy shit this guys gone through.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    bunch of comments in the Cubs thread and the MLB thead....

i missed the first 30 minutes, but overall, very solid movie. I really enjoyed seeing the video and hearing the story post catch attempt. There were some serious douche bags at that game from all the assholes chanting asshole, to the douche that walks over and chucks a beer, to the dude holding up a sign saying we are going to kill you. just wow. It makes me not want to go to sporting events. People take that shit way to serious.

If you dig around on ESPN, you can find the Bartman story that the writer talks about during hte film.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • i saw it. i feel bad for the guy and he didn't deserve what happened to him.

however, bottom line is that he fucking ruined everything. the cubs would have had two outs with one runner on base if alou is allowed to catch that ball. over the years i had convinced myself that alou probably would not have caught the ball, but re-living everything last night, ugh... he was going to catch the ball.

i hear all about the alex gonzo error... who knows what would have happened had alou caught the pop up... butterfly effect and everything. that said, if that same ground ball somehow gets hit to gonzo with two outs, it becomes an immensely easier play bc he's not thinking about rushing to turn the double play...

there's no way of knowing what would have happened if the fans had done what they're supposed to (as a fan sitting adjacent to the field of play, before the game even starts, you should tell yourself "any pop-up hit in front of myself is off limits" ... that way, it is not a split second decision)...

but it is 100% certain that the bartman play was the beginning of the unraveling.
    the question remains....would you eat the bartman ball infused sauce????

i'd pass. just seems like it's eating bad karma
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    81 wrote:

i missed the first 30 minutes, but overall, very solid movie. I really enjoyed seeing the video and hearing the story post catch attempt. There were some serious douche bags at that game from all the assholes chanting asshole, to the douche that walks over and chucks a beer, to the dude holding up a sign saying we are going to kill you. just wow. It makes me not want to go to sporting events. People take that shit way to serious.

If you dig around on ESPN, you can find the Bartman story that the writer talks about during hte film.

guy who threw the beer was a total douche. he looked like he was possessed when they showed him creeping up on him. From your other post, yea the other guy to his left i think the bar owner? did pull back a bit..Glad to hear bartman didnt move out of town. Hopefully thats evidence he still lives a decent life.
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • 81 wrote:

i had not heard about the sauce... i looked at my wife and said, "that is some effed up shit."
    NoCode416 wrote:
    i saw it. i feel bad for the guy and he didn't deserve what happened to him.

however, bottom line is that he fucking ruined everything. the cubs would have had two outs with one runner on base if alou is allowed to catch that ball. over the years i had convinced myself that alou probably would not have caught the ball, but re-living everything last night, ugh... he was going to catch the ball.

i hear all about the alex gonzo error... who knows what would have happened had alou caught the pop up... butterfly effect and everything. that said, if that same ground ball somehow gets hit to gonzo with two outs, it becomes an immensely easier play bc he's not thinking about rushing to turn the double play...

there's no way of knowing what would have happened if the fans had done what they're supposed to (as a fan sitting adjacent to the field of play, before the game even starts, you should tell yourself "any pop-up hit in front of myself is off limits" ... that way, it is not a split second decision)...

but it is 100% certain that the bartman play was the beginning of the unraveling.

i agree with your statment on if you are sitting in the first row....or even second row when the home team can reach into the stands.

not sure i can agree with him ruining everything. he didn't give up 8 runs. perhaps Dusty should have come out of the dugout and brought the entire team together on the mound for a quick chat and say...look...it was just anouther foul ball.

and people say there is no pressure in the cubs gm job. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

Blowing up the ball...fine. But making a sauce??? Wouldnt touch it.
    NoCode416 wrote:
    81 wrote:

i had not heard about the sauce... i looked at my wife and said, "that is some effed up shit."

and the posh hotel party the night before. :lol:

Chicago fans are nutty. Couple of years ago, they did some funeral thing to try and ditch the curse.

http://www.cantmisspress.com/crematingthecurse/
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Wma31394 wrote:
    81 wrote:

guy who threw the beer was a total douche. he looked like he was possessed when they showed him creeping up on him. From your other post, yea the other guy to his left i think the bar owner? did pull back a bit..Glad to hear bartman didnt move out of town. Hopefully thats evidence he still lives a decent life.

from my bad memory...it looks like he was still reaching but knew he couldn't get it without pushing steve out of the way....i could be wrong.

from what i can gather...i'm guessing bartman is making some pretty goood coin
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:
    NoCode416 wrote:
    i saw it. i feel bad for the guy and he didn't deserve what happened to him.

i agree with your statment on if you are sitting in the first row....or even second row when the home team can reach into the stands.

not sure i can agree with him ruining everything. he didn't give up 8 runs. perhaps Dusty should have come out of the dugout and brought the entire team together on the mound for a quick chat and say...look...it was just anouther foul ball.

and people say there is no pressure in the cubs gm job. :lol:

i probably shouldn't have said "ruined everything"

but what happened is 99% less likely to have happened with 2 outs as opposed to 1 out.

granted, the odds of scoring 8 runs with one out and the best pitcher in baseball on the hill are pretty awful to begin with.
    NoCode416 wrote:

but what happened is 99% less likely to have happened with 2 outs as opposed to 1 out.

granted, the odds of scoring 8 runs with one out and the best pitcher in baseball on the hill are pretty awful to begin with.

i would agree....2 outs...it's a differnt ball game. maybe the marlins are dejected at that point.

maybe they can have an old timers game and replay that inning with two outs. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:
    Wma31394 wrote:
    81 wrote:

from my bad memory...it looks like he was still reaching but knew he couldn't get it without pushing steve out of the way....i could be wrong.

from what i can gather...i'm guessing bartman is making some pretty goood coin

in my opinion he was still reaching... in super slow-motion it appears that he retracts some, but i would think that's a natural reaction when a ball is about to land right in front of you... who knows.
  • JTHJTH Posts: 3,238
    I aaaaaaaadmit it...

I was at that game. And I was one of the assholes chanting "asshole". We were literally about as far away from the play as you can possibly get and still be inside Wrigley Field (upper deck, almost all the way down the first base line).

If I was in that seat, I'd probably have done the exact same thing. And fuck Moises Alou and his completely unprofessional reaction. No chance he catches that ball. And Dusty Baker, when your team is obviously rattled, how about a quick team meeting on the mound to settle shit down?

I haven't actually seen the documentary yet.

P.S. My wife works with Steve Bartman.
  • it was a great movie, gotta feel for the dude.
    Peace, and Love, Jeff O.
  • 81 wrote:
    NoCode416 wrote:

i would agree....2 outs...it's a differnt ball game. maybe the marlins are dejected at that point.

maybe they can have an old timers game and replay that inning with two outs. :lol:

i didn't expect the documentary to affect me like it has (i didn't lose sleep or anything, but i've written 5 posts in the past 10 minutes...)

the cubs have lost 9 straight playoff games.

i hope they get a solid GM and win it all in 2015.
    After bartman, after gonzo, get some guys out! Didnt 6 more batters reach consecutivly? Players have to take all the blame. They could have been down 4-3 or 5-3 after the inning. I know what your saying about being aware of were your sitting..i would have liked to think i would have been..but who knows. Just a reaction thing I guess.
  • JTH wrote:
    No chance he catches that ball.

you should watch the documentary... naturally, you see the replay about 1,000 times... i am now 99% certain he was going to catch it... and i definitely didn't use to feel that way.
    edited September 2011
    JTH wrote:
    I aaaaaaaadmit it...

I was at that game. And I was one of the assholes chanting "asshole". We were literally about as far away from the play as you can possibly get and still be inside Wrigley Field (upper deck, almost all the way down the first base line).

If I was in that seat, I'd probably have done the exact same thing. And fuck Moises Alou and his completely unprofessional reaction. No chance he catches that ball. And Dusty Baker, when your team is obviously rattled, how about a quick team meeting on the mound to settle shit down?

Tell your wife to tell bartman that wma31394 from the pearl jam message boards give him props for keeping his composure in a tough spot. And to train and challenge that douche bag who threw beer on him to a fight at murphy's opening day 2012. The crowd will be on his side! :lol:
    JTH wrote:

:shock:

i was going to ask some bartman questions...but he likes privacy. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Wma31394 wrote:
    Tell your wife to tell bartman that wma31394 from the pearl jam message boards give him props for keeping his composure in a tough spot. And to train and challenge that douche bag who threw beer on him to a fight at murphy's opening day 2012. The crowd will be on his side! :lol:

:lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    NoCode416 wrote:
    JTH wrote:

you should watch the documentary... naturally, you see the replay about 1,000 times... i am now 99% certain he was going to catch it... and i definitely didn't use to feel that way.

i agree...i think he likely would have caught it. if you see the replay where they take all the fans out, it looks like it is headed right for his glove....that's not to say it couldn't have popped out. i'd give him a 90%+ chance of bringing it in.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Wma31394 wrote:
    JTH wrote:
    I aaaaaaaadmit it...

wma31394, you joined the message boards two weeks post bartman. were you wearing a bartman costume when you joined? :lol:
    81 wrote:
    NoCode416 wrote:
    JTH wrote:

i agree...i think he likely would have caught it. if you see the replay where they take all the fans out, it looks like it is headed right for his glove....that's not to say it couldn't have popped out. i'd give him a 90%+ chance of bringing it in.

yea i liked that spot where it was only bartman and alou as well. If i remember correctly alou was just an average fielder and your right there probably was a decent chance it could have fallen out.
  • jasonjason Posts: 468
    What a great talker and a great show. The whole thing is messed up! Here this dude is that paid good money to have a great seat, cheering on the home town team and then has the entire city of Chicago hating him by then end of the night. I would agree and disagree with alot of what is being said. Its easy to say, I would have let the ball drop, but what if you were really in that seat, would you have? If you look around, Bartman is not the only one with his hands up, others are trying to catch it. I didn't see anyone stand up and they all hold their arms infront of each others chests holding each other back. The natural reaction is to try to catch it. I would probably cover my eyes and scream, but that's just me.

Granted, if Alou catching that ball there is 2 outs, but has he never came in contact with a fan before. He has played for over 10 years and to react like that is just STUPID! It looks like he has a shot at it, but who knows, he does not have Lebron ups. To piss and moan and then throw the glove? Come on man, its not like he ran onto the field and tackled you and no one saw it. Then the botched double play ball? No one talks about that. THESE ARE PROS AND THAT WAS AS ROUTINE AS IT GETS!!! MAKE THE PLAY!!! He makes that play no one talks about Bartman ever again. These are pros and need to regroup. If MLB doesn't want the revenue of good seats, then push everyone back. You don't see fans blocking NFL passes out of the air do you? How about in the NHL, does anyone stop a puck going 100 mph? NOPE!!! So just deal with it and move onto the next pitch, not be a total baby!

To the guys throwing beer and pizza and whatever, what a joke. The one dude saught him out and threw a beer at him. He got kicked out and they asked if he had been tossed out of a game before, he replied yes. REALLY???? You are that guy that played 9th grade football and never played past then, but tries to dominate in the coed softball game. I can understand getting pissed at the guy, but I would be more sick about the performance on the field. It makes for a great story in baseball and Cubs history, but really its not one guys fault. I love those ESPN stories, they do a great job.

Nice topic discussion on the board.
    NoCode416 wrote:
    Wma31394 wrote:
    JTH wrote:
    I aaaaaaaadmit it...

wma31394, you joined the message boards two weeks post bartman. were you wearing a bartman costume when you joined? :lol:

:lol::lol:
    jason wrote:
    What a great talker and a great show. The whole thing is messed up! Here this dude is that paid good money to have a great seat, cheering on the home town team and then has the entire city of Chicago hating him by then end of the night. I would agree and disagree with alot of what is being said. Its easy to say, I would have let the ball drop, but what if you were really in that seat, would you have? If you look around, Bartman is not the only one with his hands up, others are trying to catch it. I didn't see anyone stand up and they all hold their arms infront of each others chests holding each other back. The natural reaction is to try to catch it. I would probably cover my eyes and scream, but that's just me.

Granted, if Alou catching that ball there is 2 outs, but has he never came in contact with a fan before. He has played for over 10 years and to react like that is just STUPID! It looks like he has a shot at it, but who knows, he does not have Lebron ups. To piss and moan and then throw the glove? Come on man, its not like he ran onto the field and tackled you and no one saw it. Then the botched double play ball? No one talks about that. THESE ARE PROS AND THAT WAS AS ROUTINE AS IT GETS!!! MAKE THE PLAY!!! He makes that play no one talks about Bartman ever again. These are pros and need to regroup. If MLB doesn't want the revenue of good seats, then push everyone back. You don't see fans blocking NFL passes out of the air do you? How about in the NHL, does anyone stop a puck going 100 mph? NOPE!!! So just deal with it and move onto the next pitch, not be a total baby!

To the guys throwing beer and pizza and whatever, what a joke. The one dude saught him out and threw a beer at him. He got kicked out and they asked if he had been tossed out of a game before, he replied yes. REALLY???? You are that guy that played 9th grade football and never played past then, but tries to dominate in the coed softball game. I can understand getting pissed at the guy, but I would be more sick about the performance on the field. It makes for a great story in baseball and Cubs history, but really its not one guys fault. I love those ESPN stories, they do a great job.

Nice topic discussion on the board.

Cover your eyes and scream??? Come on buddy!!!! :lol::lol:
  • I’ve always felt so bad for that guy.

But seriously, there is no way of ever telling how the game would have unfolded had he not done what he did.

You can speculate all you want, but there’s no way to say for sure the Cubs would have won.
    Wma31394 wrote:

Cover your eyes and scream??? Come on buddy!!!! :lol::lol:

:lol:

turn on in man card???? :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • JTHJTH Posts: 3,238
    Let me clarify. There's no chance MOISES ALOU OF THE CHICAGO CUBS catches that ball. Moises Alou of the Pittsburgh Pirates, Montreal Expos, Florida Marlins or possibly even Houston Astros? Maybe.

I'll watch the doc at some point, but I firmly believe this to be true. Maybe he gets a glove on it, but he doesn't come down with it in his possession.
  • the worst part of the whole thing... other than the final score... bartman's friends bailing on him!