Jobs

2»

Comments

• fifefife Posts: 3,327
    hostis wrote:
    fife wrote:
    ...but your believe that only recent uni grads are all looking out for them selves and don't care about their jobs is foolish.

my belief is based on my direct experience. thanks.

so you have never met some high school kids like that or 30 somethings or 40 somethings like that?
  • hostishostis Posts: 441
    fife wrote:
    hostis wrote:
    fife wrote:
    ...but your believe that only recent uni grads are all looking out for them selves and don't care about their jobs is foolish.

my belief is based on my direct experience. thanks.

so you have never met some high school kids like that or 30 somethings or 40 somethings like that?

not yet, and if I did I am sure my views would evolve....
    my belief is based on my direct experience. thanks.[/quote]

so you have never met some high school kids like that or 30 somethings or 40 somethings like that?[/quote]

not yet, and if I did I am sure my views would evolve....[/quote]

sure it would. of course your view will never change concerning new grads since you have decided never to interview them again.
  • EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    JTH wrote:
    shadowcast wrote:
    JTH wrote:
    What insipid nickname are they calling the "twentysomethings" these days anyway? They called us Generation X for whatever reason but I haven't really heard much by way of a catchy monicker for the current crop of shiftless layabouts.
    millenials
    Ah, I think that word was in the article you linked. Didn't realize it was an actual term being used.
    I have also seen/heard Generation Y.
    fife wrote:
    sure it would. of course your view will never change concerning new grads since you have decided never to interview them again.

correct indeed.
  • EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    These opportunities you speak of will be made available to fresh graduates; not failures working at a Home Depot. Spending $50,000 for an education you will never utilize and losing 4-8 years of your life training for a job you will never obtain doesn't make you entitled. It creates frustration! These 20-somethings feel above working at the Home Depot because they have invested heavily into a future that never came to fruition. They lost a huge chunk of cash, carry large amounts of debt and are now well behind the people they graduated high school with.

There's nothing wrong with blue collar-workers or blue-collar jobs. There is something fundamentally wrong with somebody with a master's degree working a job that doesn't require that sort of training. Do you really think that eating that kind of humble pie is easy for people? Heck, a lot of the unskilled labor market frowns on people with education for this very reason making it pretty hard for recent graduates to land work of any kind.
    :shock: I'm not 20 something anymore, but I eat that kind of humble pie every day. :?
    hostis wrote:
    fife wrote:

correct indeed.

oh well good luck with that. :? of course i'm assuming that you were different when you graduated university.
    fife wrote:
    hostis wrote:
    fife wrote:

correct indeed.

oh well good luck with that. :? of course i'm assuming that you were different when you graduated university.

you're assuming I went to university...
    correct indeed.[/quote]

oh well good luck with that. :? of course i'm assuming that you were different when you graduated university.[/quote]

you're assuming I went to university...[/quote]

no i actually know you didn't cause if you did then you would never have said that you never met a uni grad who was worth hiring. :D
    well if you knew that why did you state "of course i'm assuming that you were different when you graduated university"?
    hostis wrote:
    well if you knew that why did you state "of course i'm assuming that you were different when you graduated university"?

just wanted to see if you would say that yes you were different.