Options

Jobs

shadowcastshadowcast Posts: 2,178
edited September 2011 in A Moving Train
I am a department head at my job. Over the past 3-4 years I have noticed this arrogant sense of self entitlement with the Twenty something’s coming out of college in interviews. We are currently looking for someone right now and I have had multiple interviews and I have to say that they will not be working for me. Anyway, I came across this article and boy did it nail it on the head. I just think we spoiled these kids rotten and no one wants to come up through the ranks. I think it’s time to get rid of the “Everybody is a winner” award or “Participation awards”

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2011/0 ... nemployed/
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    hostishostis Posts: 441
    thoroughly agree. I have a standard rule that I will not interview anyone who has come straight out of Uni. They just feel the world owes them a living and arent prepared to graft. Some poeple are in for a massive shock in the real world....
  • Options
    fifefife Posts: 3,327
    hostis wrote:
    thoroughly agree. I have a standard rule that I will not interview anyone who has come straight out of Uni. They just feel the world owes them a living and arent prepared to graft. Some poeple are in for a massive shock in the real world....

so you want people to suffer cause they are young and have had to easy a life? is that your answer.
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,951
    hostis wrote:

This is why half of the "twenty somethings" are unemployed. Broad, unrealistic generalizations such as this are keeping the young from getting jobs, not our attitudes.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    Tom KTom K Posts: 842
    SVRDhand13 wrote:

This is why half of the "twenty somethings" are unemployed. Broad, unrealistic generalizations such as this are keeping the young from getting jobs, not our attitudes.

Yep...
    I'm gone ..Long gone..This time I'm letting go of it all...So long...Cause this time I'm gone
  • Options
    JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238
    What insipid nickname are they calling the "twentysomethings" these days anyway? They called us Generation X for whatever reason but I haven't really heard much by way of a catchy monicker for the current crop of shiftless layabouts.
  • Options
    shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    shadowcast wrote:
    I am a department head at my job. Over the past 3-4 years I have noticed this arrogant sense of self entitlement with the Twenty something’s coming out of college in interviews. We are currently looking for someone right now and I have had multiple interviews and I have to say that they will not be working for me. Anyway, I came across this article and boy did it nail it on the head. I just think we spoiled these kids rotten and no one wants to come up through the ranks. I think it’s time to get rid of the “Everybody is a winner” award or “Participation awards”

this is nothing new.

you say "we've" spoiled these kids... have you raised a child who is now twenty something?

are you on a bit of a power trip perhaps?
    did you see me? i saw you.
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    the narcissistic epidemic
  • Options
    Perhaps this generation feels entitled because they've watched their parents overspend for years. Now that the so-called greatest generation doesn't have the means to retire, they continue to work well into their sixties reducing the number of job-opportunities for recent graduates. When you have two or three degrees and you struggle to find meaningful employment, you quickly find yourself being labeled as lazy, incompetent or entitled.

There is a generation that has been kicked down and spat on by its predecessors. These 20-somethings have been told they need a massive amount of education to find work only to then be informed that they don't have any real-world experience. The jobs they went to school for were never available without the appropriate social network. Subsequently they find that they have invested thousands of dollars for nothing. When you have an obscene amount of education, yet you can't find work outside of your local Home Depot or Walmart something is seriously wrong.
  • Options
    fife wrote:
    hostis wrote:

so you want people to suffer cause they are young and have had to easy a life? is that your answer.

That statement makes no sense. If they have easy lives, they won't be suffering.

I think his point is, that, as a business man, it would not be prudent for him to hire someone with an entitled attitude/zero life experience, as they would plausibly be more prone to be unproductive in the workplace.
    I knew it all along, see?
  • Options
    Perhaps this generation feels entitled because they've watched their parents overspend for years. Now that the so-called greatest generation doesn't have the means to retire, they continue to work well into their sixties reducing the number of job-opportunities for recent graduates. When you have two or three degrees and you struggle to find meaningful employment, you quickly find yourself being labeled as lazy, incompetent or entitled.

There is a generation that has been kicked down and spat on by its predecessors. These 20-somethings have been told they need a massive amount of education to find work only to then be informed that they don't have any real-world experience. The jobs they went to school for were never available without the appropriate social network. Subsequently they find that they have invested thousands of dollars for nothing. When you have an obscene amount of education, yet you can't find work outside of your local Home Depot or Walmart something is seriously wrong.

Well, hey, sorry if they feel as if they're above jobs like Home Depot.

I don't understand why people feel that sitting in classrooms for years somehow makes them more important than those who work those jobs.

People working blue-collar jobs are the backbone of this economy, to be honest.

Also, thank your Republicans, who made it easy for companies to destroy the bargaining power of employees and exporting jobs overseas. And thank the Democrats, for ruining the housing market by entitling people to homes that couldn't reasonably qualify, and for allowing less-qualified applicants to get jobs that would've been better for others. Keep voting in the same shitheads every couple of years, and see how much this country progresses.

Now, back to the original point: sorry if peeps with advanced degrees have to tough it out working jobs that're beneath them for a few years. Better jobs will eventually open up. Perhaps their time spent struggling to get by will make them better appreciate the more prestigious jobs they eventually get, so that they can avoid overspending, which, as you pointed out, their predecessors were guilty of.
    I knew it all along, see?
  • Options
    fife wrote:
    hostis wrote:

That statement makes no sense. If they have easy lives, they won't be suffering.

I think his point is, that, as a business man, it would not be prudent for him to hire someone with an entitled attitude/zero life experience, as they would plausibly be more prone to be unproductive in the workplace.

If you read his post you can see that he believes that all new graduates feel that the world owes them so therefore he won't hired them. he doesn't even met these students but believes that they will all be the same. he is basically punishing them for what he believes they are like these people who have had all the things given to them.

secondly, i believe your wrong in your second point, he didn't say that. he said he would not even interview a new graduate cause we all know only the youth have entitlement issues. this is ageism. i believe we can all see that many people not just youth can be egoistical and believe that the world owes them
  • Options

I don't understand why people feel that sitting in classrooms for years somehow makes them more important than those who work those jobs.

People working blue-collar jobs are the backbone of this economy, to be honest.

Also, thank your Republicans, who made it easy for companies to destroy the bargaining power of employees and exporting jobs overseas. And thank the Democrats, for ruining the housing market by entitling people to homes that couldn't reasonably qualify, and for allowing less-qualified applicants to get jobs that would've been better for others. Keep voting in the same shitheads every couple of years, and see how much this country progresses.

Now, back to the original point: sorry if peeps with advanced degrees have to tough it out working jobs that're beneath them for a few years. Better jobs will eventually open up. Perhaps their time spent struggling to get by will make them better appreciate the more prestigious jobs they eventually get, so that they can avoid overspending, which, as you pointed out, their predecessors were guilty of.[/quote]

this is complete bs. who the hell are you to say that these kids won't appreciate their work. how do you know that these kids like me came from really poor situation and worked their asses off to get what they have.
  • Options

Now, back to the original point: sorry if peeps with advanced degrees have to tough it out working jobs that're beneath them for a few years. Better jobs will eventually open up. Perhaps their time spent struggling to get by will make them better appreciate the more prestigious jobs they eventually get, so that they can avoid overspending, which, as you pointed out, their predecessors were guilty of.

If you get stuck in a dead-end job for a few years your window of opportunity has passed. These opportunities you speak of will be made available to fresh graduates; not failures working at a Home Depot. Spending $50,000 for an education you will never utilize and losing 4-8 years of your life training for a job you will never obtain doesn't make you entitled. It creates frustration! These 20-somethings feel above working at the Home Depot because they have invested heavily into a future that never came to fruition. They lost a huge chunk of cash, carry large amounts of debt and are now well behind the people they graduated high school with.

There's nothing wrong with blue collar-workers or blue-collar jobs. There is something fundamentally wrong with somebody with a master's degree working a job that doesn't require that sort of training. Do you really think that eating that kind of humble pie is easy for people? Heck, a lot of the unskilled labor market frowns on people with education for this very reason making it pretty hard for recent graduates to land work of any kind.
  • Options
    JTH wrote:
    What insipid nickname are they calling the "twentysomethings" these days anyway? They called us Generation X for whatever reason but I haven't really heard much by way of a catchy monicker for the current crop of shiftless layabouts.
    millenials
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    Does this mean we can officially end the "time-out" fad and get back to beating the shit out of our kids like back in the good 'ol days?

What we need now is an increase in wood sheds! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238
    shadowcast wrote:
    JTH wrote:
    millenials
    Ah, I think that word was in the article you linked. Didn't realize it was an actual term being used.
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,733
    shadowcast wrote:

Cue the cranky old guy.

Every generation says this about the next.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    shortstack wrote:
    shadowcast wrote:

this is nothing new.

you say "we've" spoiled these kids... have you raised a child who is now twenty something?

Currently have a 10 month year old son so no millenial for me. Not on a power trip at all just telling it as I see it. You see I want to hire somebody. Believe me. My staff and myself are taking on extra work load. also, there is nothing more fufillling to me (job wise) than to offer someone a job that they deserve.

With the spoiled kids comment I could have pharsed it a bit better. So let me put it to you this way. People grow in adversity, they don’t really get worse…. I think you’ll see more leadership skills being used if a losing team tries to recuperate than if they never got into that situation at all.

S
    Post edited by shadowcast on
  • Options
    Go Beavers wrote:
    shadowcast wrote:

Cue the cranky old guy.

Every generation says this about the next.
    You are probably right...Back in my day we didn't have safty belts. when you got into an accident you knew right where you were going. Right through the winshield.....And we liked it!!!
  • Options
    shadowcast wrote:
    shortstack wrote:
    shadowcast wrote:

this is nothing new.

Currently have a 10 month year old son so no millenial for me. Not on a power trip at all just telling it as I see it. You see I want to hire somebody. Believe me. My staff and myself are taking on extra work load. also, there is nothing more fufillling to me than to offer someone a job that they deserve.

With the spoiled kids comment I could have pharsed it a bit better. So let me put it to you this way. People grow in adversity, they don’t really get worse…. I think you’ll see more leadership skills being used if a losing team tries to recuperate than if they never got into that situation at all.

S

the problem is that you don't know the graduates that will apply for the jobs. they already might have faced alot of adversity in just getting to this point in their lives. i think it all depends on the person. i know many older people who have worked high paying jobs and got fired and they never learned from that and just became bitter thinking that the world owes them for what they have done in the past.

my biggest issue is the guy who said that he would not even interview a new graduate.
  • Options
    marcosmarcos Posts: 2,111
    Their music sucks, whatcha expect, although there is a growing number of twenty something's that listen to PJ now it seems, so this does not apply to those that listen to PJ of course. It's Ga Ga's fault :D
  • Options
    sorry, but some clarification is needed here. I interview people of any ages if their cv is of interest, has no spelling mistakes and they are not unemployed coming straight out of uni. I have hired people of all ages and from a variety of backgrounds, I just have found, through a lot of trial and error, that people straight out of uni are the hardest to train and teach the values of work and a good work ethic.

lets take, for example, my current team. 6 people, from 17 to 46. 1 from school, 1 used to run a pizza shop, 1 ex photographer, 1 ex factory, 2 from unemployed, none straight from uni. THE best team I have worked with. And in this team I had hired a couple of ex uni people (and I regret) as their attitude so affected the dynamics and morale of this ace team.... All techies, all code monkeys and all desiring to work hard for us and the customers...

in my experience people from uni are so much harder to train educate and develop as they always feel the job is just a foot in the door and nothing else. And this always causes issues...

I may not be perfect but I always do what I feel is right for team and my customers. And if I feel its right but you don't agree, then sorry.
  • Options
    hostis wrote:
    sorry, but some clarification is needed here. I interview people of any ages if their cv is of interest, has no spelling mistakes and they are not unemployed coming straight out of uni. I have hired people of all ages and from a variety of backgrounds, I just have found, through a lot of trial and error, that people straight out of uni are the hardest to train and teach the values of work and a good work ethic.

lets take, for example, my current team. 6 people, from 17 to 46. 1 from school, 1 used to run a pizza shop, 1 ex photographer, 1 ex factory, 2 from unemployed, none straight from uni. THE best team I have worked with. And in this team I had hired a couple of ex uni people (and I regret) as their attitude so affected the dynamics and morale of this ace team.... All techies, all code monkeys and all desiring to work hard for us and the customers...

in my experience people from uni are so much harder to train educate and develop as they always feel the job is just a foot in the door and nothing else. And this always causes issues...

I may not be perfect but I always do what I feel is right for team and my customers. And if I feel its right but you don't agree, then sorry.

but that's not what you said before and why i was upset. you wrote that you won't interview people straight from university. i will never say that someone must always hired a new graduate but i do believe that they should be given their full chance.

secondly, i got a job right from uni. and you know what i did look at it as a stepping stone cause in reality it is. the era of working the same job for your whole life is gone. what my work did was give me promotions as they found my skills to be important to them. again i will say that this has nothing to do with being young as again i know people in their 30's and 40s who feel the same way.
  • Options
    I personally give can give two shits if they went to school or not. All I'm saying is that Uni's usually don't make the final group of interviews. I give everyone a fair shot. I actually do not even look to see if they have a degree until after I've interviewed them or I will look at their schooling during the interview. I have interviewed 15 people already and looked at hundreds of resumes. Job is still posted.
  • Options
    fife wrote:
    hostis wrote:

but that's not what you said before and why i was upset. you wrote that you won't interview people straight from university. i will never say that someone must always hired a new graduate but i do believe that they should be given their full chance.

secondly, i got a job right from uni. and you know what i did look at it as a stepping stone cause in reality it is. the era of working the same job for your whole life is gone. what my work did was give me promotions as they found my skills to be important to them. again i will say that this has nothing to do with being young as again i know people in their 30's and 40s who feel the same way.

no, it was. I said I won't interview people straight out uni. That's correct. I won't. Anymore. I learnt the hard way and if you get upset by a statement like that then you wouldn't last 2 mins I my team.

its a tough life,I'm a tough boss,a job isn't a stepping stone to all. To you it might be but to some it is their career and if you expressed that view out loud to some in my team you could expect to get short shrift. A lot of customers feel comfortable with continuity and low impact changes so don't ever underestimate that, how ever high you go....
  • Options
    tinkerbelltinkerbell New Zealand Posts: 2,161
    How are young people supposed to gain experience if no one is willing to give them a shot? I have just turned 30 and my generation (somewhere in the middle between gen X and gen i-pod) have always been given shit from the older generations for being lazy and some are! But having worked with a huge range of ages and stages over the years I have found that age has nothing to do with work ethic. At my current job I work with 2 in their 20's 1 43 yo and 2 in their 50's. I have found with this group the 57 yo is the one with a sense of entitlement - his belief is that because he is so much older and has worked for 40 odd years he shouldn't have to work as hard as the youngins. I was taught by my parents that if you work hard then you are rewarded accordingly.

I think as long as when you hire someone you make it clear what the expectations are then you might be surprised with how much someone has to offer.
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • Options
    CommyCommy Posts: 4,984
    shadowcast wrote:

thing is the upper class has had that mentality for centuries. yeah kids these days are lazy, but they fucking should be. why work your ass off so someone else makes the money? kids these days are smart, not lazy. why work your ass off for some schmuck that's gonna exploit heir labor and treat them like shit? good luck in your search but don't blame the youth for the problems of today. they happen to be the only smart ones in this scenario.
  • Options
    no, it was. I said I won't interview people straight out uni. That's correct. I won't. Anymore. I learnt the hard way and if you get upset by a statement like that then you wouldn't last 2 mins I my team.

its a tough life,I'm a tough boss,a job isn't a stepping stone to all. To you it might be but to some it is their career and if you expressed that view out loud to some in my team you could expect to get short shrift. A lot of customers feel comfortable with continuity and low impact changes so don't ever underestimate that, how ever high you go....[/quote]

First off you don't know me or what i do for a living so don't assume that i could not handle working for you for 2 minutes. sure life is tough. a job is a stepping stone to everyone until they get to the job that they dream off. do you really believe that the 17 year old you have on your team doesn't want to move up in their jobs. are course they do and as a boss you should want them to.

i have a good friend whose boss and company tell him that a job is a job for 4 year and at that point you should be looking to advance. Why do you believe that jobs will give training or pay for people to go back to school? the reason is that they want good people working for them.

now i understand that you want a team that works well together and as a good boss that is smart. but your believe that only recent uni grads are all looking out for them selves and don't care about their jobs is foolish.
  • Options
    Commy wrote:
    shadowcast wrote:

thing is the upper class has had that mentality for centuries. yeah kids these days are lazy, but they fucking should be. why work your ass off so someone else makes the money? kids these days are smart, not lazy. why work your ass off for some schmuck that's gonna exploit heir labor and treat them like shit? good luck in your search but don't blame the youth for the problems of today. they happen to be the only smart ones in this scenario.
    Why work your ass off? Because maybe by working hard you will move up the ladder faster by proving yourself then you become stable and pay off your loans and get ahead in life. This is the attitude that will have you living at home for the rest of your life. So please have this attitude as this will make it easier for people to weed out the slackers and hire somebody that wants to work hard. Also, I did not blame the youth for the problems of today ever. All I said was that they are almost not hirable. I blame schools & parents.
  • Options
    fife wrote:
    ...but your believe that only recent uni grads are all looking out for them selves and don't care about their jobs is foolish.

my belief is based on my direct experience. thanks.