Options

I'm pretty sure I need a root canal

Comments

• Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685

Like Rygar said...High fillings throws your bite off and can cause heavy duty radiating pain. I am a dental assistant, and it happens because at the time the filling is done, you are frozen and can't feel how you bite. Your description of the pain sounds like it. I hope that's all it is. :)
    I'm no dental assistant, but I probably have enough experience hours logged lol
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:

Like Rygar said...High fillings throws your bite off and can cause heavy duty radiating pain. I am a dental assistant, and it happens because at the time the filling is done, you are frozen and can't feel how you bite. Your description of the pain sounds like it. I hope that's all it is. :)

SAME HERE.... :evil:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:

SAME HERE.... :evil:
    The sad part is that I look after my teeth!
  • Options
    unlost dogsunlost dogs Greater Boston Posts: 12,553
    I had one years ago, and agree with the previous posters who said it wasn't bad at all. I know I was given a whiff of nitric or something that took the edge off, and I remember the oral surgeon gave me a set of humungous headphones and offered me a couple of musical options. I picked Springsteen _ good choice for dental procedures, since the Big Man's sax will drown out the sounds of the instruments.

I remember being surprised at what a reasonably pleasant experience it was. And I don't remember having pain afterwards. But boy, the pain beforehand _ yeeeeouch!
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • Options
    JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238
    pandora wrote:
    Bad part too ... bridges and crowns only last 10-15 years and time flies.
    That's why, if you're getting a crown on a molar, opt for gold. Forget that porcelain crap unless it's on a tooth that's visible with a "normal" smile.

I was getting a crown on one of my molars and the dentist never even suggested gold, but I asked him about it. He said that hadn't done a gold crown in years, but he'd do it if that's what I wanted. I asked him if he were in my shoes, what he'd do. He said he'd go with gold without a doubt.

Later on, I had to get a root canal on that same tooth, so the gold crown needed to be replaced. A different dentist replaced it with porcelain and the thing broke in less than three months. There's gold there now.
  • Options
    EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    Good luck Davidtrios, hopefully it won't need a root canal. I have had dental issues like forever (I don't know if it's 'soft teeth' or what, but I've had problems since I was little regardless of more than adequate dental hygiene)..I have had two root canals in my life. The pain is not that bad; it's really just like a filling, just takes longer. They don't put you under and it's not incapacitating. :) My one tip of advice: make sure that you go to someone who knows how to do them and has alot of experience. The first one I had was done by an oral surgeon to whom I was referred by my dentist---totally fine, one trip total, excellent experience, never have had a problem with that tooth again 11 years later. The second one, however, was done by a relatively new dentist--4 trips total, substandard job, $3600. Five years later, I now have a cavity under that crown because it wasn't sealed properly or something, and it's going to cost $900 to fill the cavity and have the crown replaced. So, do some research and ask some questions just to make sure. :mrgreen: I hope it turns out well! Don't stress it.
  • Options
    davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    Rygar wrote:
    Davidtrios wrote:
    thanks for the info...i had a cavity filled in last week and ever since then, i have an intense, long lasting shooting pain if i chew on that side...on top of that, a migraine ensues...it fucking HURTS
    It's possible you don't need a root canal. The filling might just not be shaved down to the tooth enough and if that's the case a quick shave with the drill and you'll be good to go.

Root canals, if you need one, aren't generally that bad unless you're infected. Won't hurt more than a regular filling, and as soon as they get the needle in the centre of the tooth you won't feel a thing for the rest of the procedure.
    Other than having your mouth frozen, it's unlikely you'd even need to miss any work or whatever other than your appointment time.

shimmy, i hope you use butler/gum products in the offce! ;)
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    JTH wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    Bad part too ... bridges and crowns only last 10-15 years and time flies.
    That's why, if you're getting a crown on a molar, opt for gold. Forget that porcelain crap unless it's on a tooth that's visible with a "normal" smile.

I was getting a crown on one of my molars and the dentist never even suggested gold, but I asked him about it. He said that hadn't done a gold crown in years, but he'd do it if that's what I wanted. I asked him if he were in my shoes, what he'd do. He said he'd go with gold without a doubt.

Later on, I had to get a root canal on that same tooth, so the gold crown needed to be replaced. A different dentist replaced it with porcelain and the thing broke in less than three months. There's gold there now.
    very good advice

the dentist who did the work 20 years ago never mentioned gold ... he was going for the
    no filling look ... which I didn't understand or realize until the work was done

I'm not a singer and really could have carried less if I had visible fillings in my mouth
    on my molars.

I think he did unnecessary work to accomplish the cosmetic effect
    which puts me in a pickle this many years later.
    I trusted too freely ... get the facts

My father passed with his gold crowns ... probably 50 year olds crowns
  • Options
    Rygar & neilybabes86, I didn't mean any offense by it. Sorry guys. I have seen a lot in offices and no one can seem to determine why some people end up with more work than others, especially when they do take good care of their mouths.

Davidtrios, I would temp for lots of dentists, so their assistants could have time off with their families, so whatever that office has is up to them. However, I have learned it's how a patient uses the products that make the difference. :)
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!
  • Options
    Rygar & neilybabes86, I didn't mean any offense by it. Sorry guys. I have seen a lot in offices and no one can seem to determine why some people end up with more work than others, especially when they do take good care of their mouths.

Davidtrios, I would temp for lots of dentists, so their assistants could have time off with their families, so whatever that office has is up to them. However, I have learned it's how a patient uses the products that make the difference. :)
    There was no offense taken!
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:

There was no offense taken!

Good :D I love that Mr. Bean avatar! :lol:
  • Options
    dottlesdottles Posts: 9,136
    David,
    How did it go at the dentist?
    2009 - Manchester. 2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London, Berlin, Arras, Werchter. 2011 - PJ20 i & ii, Montreal, Toronto i & ii, Ottawa, Hamilton. 
    2012 - Manchester i & ii, Berlin i & ii, Stockholm. 2014 - Amsterdam i & ii, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Leeds, Milton Keynes.
    2016 - Boston Fenway i & ii, 2018 - Amsterdam i & ii, Pinkpop, London i & ii, Padova, Krakow, Barcelona, Seattle i & ii. 
  • Options
    Ill be headed there after work...fingers crossed its an easy fix...ill keep everyone posted. :)
  • Options
    dottlesdottles Posts: 9,136
    Davidtrios wrote:
    Ill be headed there after work...fingers crossed its an easy fix...ill keep everyone posted. :)

Gawwddamn time difference, it's 17.28 here :D
    Fingers crossed.
    2009 - Manchester. 2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London, Berlin, Arras, Werchter. 2011 - PJ20 i & ii, Montreal, Toronto i & ii, Ottawa, Hamilton. 
    2012 - Manchester i & ii, Berlin i & ii, Stockholm. 2014 - Amsterdam i & ii, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Leeds, Milton Keynes.
    2016 - Boston Fenway i & ii, 2018 - Amsterdam i & ii, Pinkpop, London i & ii, Padova, Krakow, Barcelona, Seattle i & ii. 
  • Options
    Davidtrios wrote:

Between your sore mouth and my stomach bug, looks like we will be dining on soup this evening??
  • Options
    im eating hop n sour soup now...perhaps ill get on some wonton tonight? :D
  • Options
    Davidtrios wrote:

I don't even know what this means!!!
  • Options
    Davidtrios wrote:

I don't even know what this means!!!

:lol:
  • Options
    that will be the last time i self diagnose from 'facts' on the internet...the dentist said my filling was a little high...she shaved it down, rounded it it off and it feels a lot better...still a little tender, but i think i will be fine....whew
  • Options
    Davidtrios wrote:
    that will be the last time i self diagnose from 'facts' on the internet...the dentist said my filling was a little high...she shaved it down, rounded it it off and it feels a lot better...still a little tender, but i think i will be fine....whew

:D Glad you are okay...it will feel better really fast!
  • Options
    Davidtrios wrote:

:D Glad you are okay...it will feel better really fast!
    Good stuff!
  • Options
    Davidtrios wrote:
    :thumbup:
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    Well, I'm glad I found this thread . . . .

I was thinking of starting one to ask about people's experiences with root canals. Somehow I've made it this far in life without having one and now I'm scheduled for one on Monday morning. Saw the dentist this past week after having a lot of pain for several days.

I like my dentist a lot. I had a lot of work done two years ago when I had to have one of my molars extracted and a bridge put in. She said I handled that so well that she doesn't think a root canal is going to stress me out.

But people always talk about how painful and miserable they are. This thread makes it sound like it's not a big deal.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505

I was thinking of starting one to ask about people's experiences with root canals. Somehow I've made it this far in life without having one and now I'm scheduled for one on Monday morning. Saw the dentist this past week after having a lot of pain for several days.

I like my dentist a lot. I had a lot of work done two years ago when I had to have one of my molars extracted and a bridge put in. She said I handled that so well that she doesn't think a root canal is going to stress me out.

But people always talk about how painful and miserable they are. This thread makes it sound like it's not a big deal.

It's fairly simple. Just a long process, usually in 2 appointments, much like a bridge. If you feel anything while your dentist is working, just tell them. They have no qualms about making you feel more comfortable with a little more freezing. :D I hope it goes smoothly and quickly on Monday for you. :mrgreen:
  • Options

It's fairly simple. Just a long process, usually in 2 appointments, much like a bridge. If you feel anything while your dentist is working, just tell them. They have no qualms about making you feel more comfortable with a little more freezing. :D I hope it goes smoothly and quickly on Monday for you. :mrgreen:
    Thanks! I started out kind of nervous but now I feel fine about it. Ready to get it taken care of. :mrgreen:
  • Options

Thanks! I started out kind of nervous but now I feel fine about it. Ready to get it taken care of. :mrgreen:

How did it go?
  • Options
    How did it go?
    It took a little longer than my dentist thought it would. It was about 2 hours. I felt fine afterwards but by last night I was having some pain. I felt like my mouth had been stretched into a new shape!

A little bit of pain this morning but not a real big deal. The tooth had been bothering me a lot so it's a definite improvement. I go back next Monday to get it finished.

Thanks for asking! You are very thoughtful. :angel:
  • Options
    How did it go?
    It took a little longer than my dentist thought it would. It was about 2 hours. I felt fine afterwards but by last night I was having some pain. I felt like my mouth had been stretched into a new shape!

A little bit of pain this morning but not a real big deal. The tooth had been bothering me a lot so it's a definite improvement. I go back next Monday to get it finished.

Thanks for asking! You are very thoughtful. :angel:

You are very welcome! I am glad it went well. You will definitely have more improvement over the week. :thumbup: :mrgreen:
  • Options
    I was just wondering how a root canal compares to the removal of wisdom teeth as far as pain. I had neglected my choppers for a while basiaclly because I knew as soon as I went to the dentist he would tell me i had to have my widsoms removed but last year I woke up the most awful pain in the middle of the night and had no choice but to go. The removal actually and the days after actually weren't nearly as bad as I had feared and had been told to fear. The oral surgeon used twilight sleep so while I was pretty much out of it I was coherent through the whole thing...it was weird hearing the saw or whatever and knowing what he was doing but not feeling anything.
    I took a pain pill after and took one before bed that night but I never had the need for one after that..and actually the one at bedtime was just precautionary. The worst part was not being able to drink or smoke for a week. But i went for my follow up a week later, he gave a good report and I immediately went to the closest steakhouse at 11 in the morning, ordered me up a big slab of meat and sucked down a few beers. Best meal I had had in a while

Ok..now I've bored everyone to death but my original question still remains :lol:
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Options
    I was just wondering how a root canal compares to the removal of wisdom teeth as far as pain. I had neglected my choppers for a while basiaclly because I knew as soon as I went to the dentist he would tell me i had to have my widsoms removed but last year I woke up the most awful pain in the middle of the night and had no choice but to go. The removal actually and the days after actually weren't nearly as bad as I had feared and had been told to fear. The oral surgeon used twilight sleep so while I was pretty much out of it I was coherent through the whole thing...it was weird hearing the saw or whatever and knowing what he was doing but not feeling anything.
    I took a pain pill after and took one before bed that night but I never had the need for one after that..and actually the one at bedtime was just precautionary. The worst part was not being able to drink or smoke for a week. But i went for my follow up a week later, he gave a good report and I immediately went to the closest steakhouse at 11 in the morning, ordered me up a big slab of meat and sucked down a few beers. Best meal I had had in a while

Ok..now I've bored everyone to death but my original question still remains :lol:
    For me, I had all 4 wisdom teeth removed at the same time, and have had 2 root canals. The pain from all the wisdom teeth at once was definitely worse for me, but still only lasted a few days. The pain meds helped and made me sleep through most of the day. The root canals were only mildly sore for a few days.