i hear they suck but i have a few questions:

do they put you under?
do i need to take time from work?
what is the healing time?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    I had one about 20 years ago when I was a teenager.

They may have to use one of those rubber-things which completely cover your mouth, except for the tooth they're working on. ...so, hope you are not heavy on the gag reflex.

Aside from that, I don't recall it being much different than getting a filling, except for the length of time which I believe was longer.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Options
    Gibson72Gibson72 Posts: 1,245
    I had one recently...
    Had to get put under due to gag reflex.

Didn't get back to cap it & broke the root.

Had to get tooth pulled.
    Gibson1972
  • Options
    Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    I had one about 5 years ago and to be completely honest, it was easier than a normal dental checkup! Went in after work, they put tons of novocaine in (so no you don't go under unless your insurance covers it I think), and I almost fell asleep throughout the procedure. When it was done they gave me some super Ibuprofen and I never had any pain. Went to work the next day!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    I had one about two years ago and it was fine. They didn't knock me out, they gave me pain killers after (maybe tylenol and codeine?) but I never had to take them. It really wasn't bad. I think crowns are worse.
  • Options
    neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    edited September 2011
    Davidtrios wrote:

do they put you under?

no no and quick

might give u some antibiotics
    Post edited by neilybabes86 on
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Options
    maj4emaj4e Posts: 605
    Not too bad at all.
  • Options
    davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    thanks for the info...i had a cavity filled in last week and ever since then, i have an intense, long lasting shooting pain if i chew on that side...on top of that, a migraine ensues...it fucking HURTS
  • Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Top one's pop out, bottoms are a little tougher, really did not hurt, kind of amazed.
  • Options
    dottlesdottles Posts: 9,136
    Never had dental work ;) but I hope you get it sorted and feel better soon!
    2009 - Manchester. 2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London, Berlin, Arras, Werchter. 2011 - PJ20 i & ii, Montreal, Toronto i & ii, Ottawa, Hamilton. 
    2012 - Manchester i & ii, Berlin i & ii, Stockholm. 2014 - Amsterdam i & ii, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Leeds, Milton Keynes.
    2016 - Boston Fenway i & ii, 2018 - Amsterdam i & ii, Pinkpop, London i & ii, Padova, Krakow, Barcelona, Seattle i & ii. 
  • Options
    rude post removed by admin
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Options
    dottles wrote:
    Never had dental work ;) but I hope you get it sorted and feel better soon!

Eh? Lol
    Because we have the NHS, it'll cost you £15 for a check up every 9 months and £45 for a filling or root canal ... And if something goes wrong again within a few months, no further charge.
    I don't think 32 is a bad age to reach with not even a filling :)
    based on your location..iam not surprised :lol::lol:;)
    2009 - Manchester. 2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London, Berlin, Arras, Werchter. 2011 - PJ20 i & ii, Montreal, Toronto i & ii, Ottawa, Hamilton. 
    2012 - Manchester i & ii, Berlin i & ii, Stockholm. 2014 - Amsterdam i & ii, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Leeds, Milton Keynes.
    2016 - Boston Fenway i & ii, 2018 - Amsterdam i & ii, Pinkpop, London i & ii, Padova, Krakow, Barcelona, Seattle i & ii. 
  • Options
    conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    just remember, vicodin is your friend
  • Options
    JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238
    rude post removed by admin
  • Options
    Davidtrios wrote:
    thanks for the info...i had a cavity filled in last week and ever since then, i have an intense, long lasting shooting pain if i chew on that side...on top of that, a migraine ensues...it fucking HURTS

You need to stop going to medical professionals that your parents recommend. Just because they are Russian doesn't mean they have credentials!! Dentist is going to tell you "100 grams and borscht."
  • Options
    Davidtrios wrote:

You need to stop going to medical professionals that your parents recommend. Just because they are Russian doesn't mean they have credentials!! Dentist is going to tell you "100 grams and borscht."

:lol:
  • Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    conman wrote:
    just remember, vicodin is your friend

This! it's wonderful.
  • Options
    well, I guess we can't all bleach and straighten our teeth within an inch of our lives and pay the price of a transplant for it ...or maybe we just aren't as vain and can handle being a bit different and not uniform...

I'll keep my perfectly straight, natural white teeth with no fillings, cavities, or dentures...for nowt ;);)

Dave, did you sort your root canal?
  • Options
    ive scheduled an appt wed...i have a business trip the day after so ill have to schedule the procedure on monday or something...someone told me its going to suck flying with tooth pain...i hate my life right now.
  • Options
    I had one this morning. And I'm back at work right now. No big deal - they froze the area, put on a dental dam, and worked at it for about 1.5-2 hours. More discomfort than pain, pain was minimal.

Good luck!
  • Options
    Davidtrios wrote:
    ive scheduled an appt wed...i have a business trip the day after so ill have to schedule the procedure on monday or something...someone told me its going to suck flying with tooth pain...i hate my life right now.

:( huggles, hopefully if your dentist can't do the work on Wednesday, he can at least give you something to help calm it down, help with the pain until you're back from your business trip.
  • Options
    thank you for the well wishes
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Davidtrios wrote:
    It's possible you don't need a root canal. The filling might just not be shaved down to the tooth enough and if that's the case a quick shave with the drill and you'll be good to go.
    Root canals, if you need one, aren't generally that bad unless you're infected. Won't hurt more than a regular filling, and as soon as they get the needle in the centre of the tooth you won't feel a thing for the rest of the procedure.
    Other than having your mouth frozen, it's unlikely you'd even need to miss any work or whatever other than your appointment time.
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    Davidtrios wrote:
    It's possible you don't need a root canal. The filling might just not be shaved down to the tooth enough and if that's the case a quick shave with the drill and you'll be good to go.Root canals, if you need one, aren't generally that bad unless you're infected. Won't hurt more than a regular filling, and as soon as they get the needle in the centre of the tooth you won't feel a thing for the rest of the procedure.
    Other than having your mouth frozen, it's unlikely you'd even need to miss any work or whatever other than your appointment time.

that gives me some hope! thanks
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I'm sorry... good luck hope it goes real easy for you

I won't tell you my experience cause it was more on the unusual and I ended up losing the tooth
    and needing a bridge after the root canal from hell.
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Davidtrios wrote:

do they put you under?

I've had two done with two crowns to match.

They did not put me all the way under but game me a halcyon cocktail so I don't remember much about the procedure.
    I only missed the afternoons I had them done.
    I could eat later that night once the numbness wore off.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    Davidtrios wrote:
    It's possible you don't need a root canal. The filling might just not be shaved down to the tooth enough and if that's the case a quick shave with the drill and you'll be good to go.

Root canals, if you need one, aren't generally that bad unless you're infected. Won't hurt more than a regular filling, and as soon as they get the needle in the centre of the tooth you won't feel a thing for the rest of the procedure.

Like Rygar said...High fillings throws your bite off and can cause heavy duty radiating pain. I am a dental assistant, and it happens because at the time the filling is done, you are frozen and can't feel how you bite. Your description of the pain sounds like it. I hope that's all it is. :)
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!
  • Options
    It does sound like the bite could be off. I hope they did an xray first to determine that it does really need a root canal. And, if you do get one...make sure you follow up with a crown. Good luck :D
  • Options
    Sorry. I'm a puss for shit with my teeth. I chipped my front tooth when I was a kid. Double riding when my dad forbid me too. ;)
    But I went to a new dentist and I think he just wanted more money so he said I needed a root canal on my front tooth. It sucked balls. Not so much pain while doing it, more of an annoyance. But after, FML. I think it got infected. So as long as it's not your front ones it should be a cake walk. Good luck.
    Just, not enough.
    I need more.
    Nothing seems to satisfy.
    I said, I dont want it.
    I just need it.
    To breathe, to feel, to know Im alive.
  • Options
    It does sound like the bite could be off. I hope they did an xray first to determine that it does really need a root canal. And, if you do get one...make sure you follow up with a crown. Good luck :D

+1 on the getting the crown if you get the RCT
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Sorry. I'm a puss for shit with my teeth. I chipped my front tooth when I was a kid. Double riding when my dad forbid me too. ;)
    But I went to a new dentist and I think he just wanted more money so he said I needed a root canal on my front tooth. It sucked balls. Not so much pain while doing it, more of an annoyance. But after, FML. I think it got infected. So as long as it's not your front ones it should be a cake walk. Good luck.
    mine got infected after the root canal, after the crown was put on,
    then it had to be pulled ,then had to go through a bridge

the call to save the tooth from the start was wrong...
    it should have been pulled but dentists do everything they can to save teeth
    as it should be...

but it was a lot to go through

I ended up so frazzled that in deep sleep I began serious uncontrollable chopping down ...
    like snap! it would wake JB up.
    I could have bite my tongue off... no jokes please ;):lol:

Bad part too ... bridges and crowns only last 10-15 years and time flies.