Options

In a relationship, married or not... this is worth the read.

ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505
edited September 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Someone shared this 'note' with me. They said to pass it on and I am. It touched me so deeply.

MARRIAGE (passed onto me by Kimmies Floral)

When I got home that night as my wife served dinner, I held her hand and said, I've got something to tell you. She sat down and ate quietly. Again I observed the hurt in her eyes.

Suddenly I didn't know how to open my mouth. But I had to let her know what I was thinking. I want a divorce. I raised the topic calmly.

She didn't seem to be annoyed by my words, instead she asked me softly, why?

I avoided her question. This made her angry. She threw away the chopsticks and shouted at me, you are not a man! That night, we didn't talk to each other. She was weeping. I knew she wanted to find out what had happened to our marriage. But I could hardly give her a satisfactory answer; she had lost my heart to Jane. I didn't love her anymore. I just pitied her!

With a deep sense of guilt, I drafted a divorce agreement which stated that she could own our house, our car, and 30% stake of my company.

She glanced at it and then tore it into pieces. The woman who had spent ten years of her life with me had become a stranger. I felt sorry for her wasted time, resources and energy but I could not take back what I had said for I loved Jane so dearly. Finally she cried loudly in front of me, which was what I had expected to see. To me her cry was actually a kind of release. The idea of divorce which had obsessed me for several weeks seemed to be firmer and clearer now.

The next day, I came back home very late and found her writing something at the table. I didn't have supper but went straight to sleep and fell asleep very fast because I was tired after an eventful day with Jane.

When I woke up, she was still there at the table writing. I just did not care so I turned over and was asleep again.

In the morning she presented her divorce conditions: she didn't want anything from me, but needed a month's notice before the divorce. She requested that in that one month we both struggle to live as normal a life as possible. Her reasons were simple: our son had his exams in a month's time and she didn't want to disrupt him with our broken marriage.

This was agreeable to me. But she had something more, she asked me to recall how I had carried her into out bridal room on our wedding day.

She requested that every day for the month's duration I carry her out of our bedroom to the front door ever morning. I thought she was going crazy. Just to make our last days together bearable I accepted her odd request.

I told Jane about my wife's divorce conditions. . She laughed loudly and thought it was absurd. No matter what tricks she applies, she has to face the divorce, she said scornfully.

My wife and I hadn't had any body contact since my divorce intention was explicitly expressed. So when I carried her out on the first day, we both appeared clumsy. Our son clapped behind us, daddy is holding mommy in his arms. His words brought me a sense of pain. From the bedroom to the sitting room, then to the door, I walked over ten meters with her in my arms. She closed her eyes and said softly; don't tell our son about the divorce. I nodded, feeling somewhat upset. I put her down outsidethe door. She went to wait for the bus to work. I drove alone to the office.

On the second day, both of us acted much more easily. She leaned on my chest. I could smell the fragrance of her blouse. I realized that I hadn't looked at this woman carefully for a long time. I realized she was not young any more. There were fine wrinkles on her face, her hair was graying! Our marriage had taken its toll on her. For a minute I wondered what I had done to her.

On the fourth day, when I lifted her up, I felt a sense of intimacy returning. This was the woman who had given ten years of her life to me.

On the fifth and sixth day, I realized that our sense of intimacy was growing again. I didn't tell Jane about this. It became easier to carry her as the month slipped by. Perhaps the everyday workout made me stronger.

She was choosing what to wear one morning. She tried on quite a few dresses but could not find a suitable one. Then she sighed, all my dresses have grown bigger. I suddenly realized that she had grown so thin, that was the reason why I could carry her more easily.

Suddenly it hit me... she had buried so much pain and bitterness in her heart. Subconsciously I reached out and touched her head.

Our son came in at the moment and said, Dad, it's time to carry mom out. To him, seeing his father carrying his mother out had become an essential part of his life. My wife gestured to our son to come closer and hugged him tightly. I turned my face away because I was afraid I might change my mind at this last minute. I then held her in my arms, walking from the bedroom, through the sitting room, to the hallway. Her hand surrounded my neck softly and naturally. I held her body tightly; it was just like our wedding day.

But her much lighter weight made me sad. On the last day, when I held her in my arms I could hardly move a step. Our son had gone to school. I held her tightly and said, I hadn't noticed that our life lacked intimacy.

I drove to office.... jumped out of the car swiftly without locking the door. I was afraid any delay would make me change my mind...I walked upstairs. Jane opened the door and I said to her, Sorry, Jane, I do not want the divorce anymore.

She looked at me, astonished, and then touched my forehead. Do you have a fever? She said. I moved her hand off my head. Sorry, Jane, I said, I won't divorce. My marriage life was boring probably because she and I didn't value the details of our lives, not because we didn't love each other anymore. Now I realize that since I carried her into my home on our wedding day I am supposed to hold her until death do us apart.

Jane seemed to suddenly wake up. She gave me a loud slap and then slammed the door and burst into tears. I walked downstairs and drove away.

At the floral shop on the way, I ordered a bouquet of flowers for my wife. The salesgirl asked me what to write on the card. I smiled and wrote, I'll carry you out every morning until death do us apart.

That evening I arrived home, flowers in my hands, a smile on my face, I run up stairs, only to find my wife in the bed - dead.

My wife had been fighting CANCER for months and I was so busy with Jane to even notice. She knew that she would die soon and she wanted to save me from the whatever negative reaction from our son, in case we push thru with the divorce.-- At least, in the eyes of our son--- I'm a loving husband....

The small details of your lives are what really matter in a relationship. It is not the mansion, the car, property, the money in the bank. These create an environment conducive for happiness but cannot give happiness in themselves. So find time to be your spouse's friend and do those little things for each other that build intimacy. Do have a real happy marriage!

If you don't share this, nothing will happen to you.

If you do, you just might save a marriage.

Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.
Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    this is too depressing a read for a Friday afternoon

but I understand the sentiment in posting it
  • Options

It's Friday? When did that happen! :shifty: I didn't even think of the day...sorry guys :? :oops:
  • Options

It's Friday? When did that happen! :shifty: I didn't even think of the day...sorry guys :? :oops:

Geez...I'm trying to ramp it up for PJ20 tonight...
  • Options
    Geez...I'm trying to ramp it up for PJ20 tonight...

:oops: :oops: :oops: I am so sorry :(
  • Options
    StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    wow that last part really shocked me

very touching

very sad
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • Options
    EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    edited September 2011
    That is really touching.. and it IS the little things that matter. And every minute counts. The underlying message speaks loud and clear. It brought tears to my eyes.
    Post edited by EmBleve on
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,250
    My first reaction was anger at the writer. How could you not know your wife is fading right in front of you?

But, there was distance displayed from both parties. During the last month, the writer thought of himself, which was his norm, and the wife was thinking of the son which was her norm.

It's a complex story.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    My first reaction was anger at the writer. How could you not know your wife is fading right in front of you?

But, there was distance displayed from both parties. During the last month, the writer thought of himself, which was his norm, and the wife was thinking of the son which was her norm.

It's a complex story.
    it is. Very observant. I hadn't thought of it that way.
  • Options
    EmBleve wrote:
    Ms. Haiku wrote:

It's a complex story.

it is. Very observant. I hadn't thought of it that way.

I was angry at the start of it too. As I read on, I had understood it as we get caught up in ourselves and what's important to us at the time, and how lose sight of the other person and why we loved them in the first place. I loved the complexity of the story too. But that's just me. :oops:
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,227
    Ms. Haiku wrote:

I'm certain its a piece of fiction, like most internet tales, because no matter how fractured the marriage, the wife would tell her husband she'd been diagnosed with cancer.

Either way Jane is a bitch.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Poncier wrote:
    Ms. Haiku wrote:

I never liked her.
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,250
    Yep, I agree that Jane is a bitch.

I've never been in a long-term relationship . . . do people in relationships for years lose sight of each other just as a matter of course? Is it just the norm for long term relationships? I think this story was extreme, or rather the distance may be similar to relationships where the two parties end up going their separate ways.

For the ones that stick it out, there always has to be a very strong thread to hold on to, isn't there? What is *good* in a relationship after 10 years?

My twin has a strong marriage, and they were married in 1992. Both parties think they have a strong relationship. My twin said her husband doesn't *complete* her, but they enjoy each other's company.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    Ms. Haiku wrote:

I've never been in a long-term relationship . . . do people in relationships for years lose sight of each other just as a matter of course? Is it just the norm for long term relationships? I think this story was extreme, or rather the distance may be similar to relationships where the two parties end up going their separate ways.

For the ones that stick it out, there always has to be a very strong thread to hold on to, isn't there? What is *good* in a relationship after 10 years?

My twin has a strong marriage, and they were married in 1992. Both parties think they have a strong relationship. My twin said her husband doesn't *complete* her, but they enjoy each other's company.

The thing is, in strong long term relationships, the other person should never complete you. You are already complete and have your own strength, as do they. If you are waiting for someone to make you strong and complete...you are going to be waiting forever. There are a lot of *good* thing after 10 years. I can attest to that in my own life, but that's just my experience.
  • Options
    pinkbutterflypinkbutterfly Posts: 1,391
    edited September 2011
    Post edited by pinkbutterfly on
    My last message to you ~

You're right. You are a monster! You are sick! Get help!

At least, I am not a fuck-up! A lying fuck-up!
  • Options
    That was a really powerful and moving thing to read. I had tears in my eyes...

Thank you for sharing.
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options
    Poncier wrote:
    Ms. Haiku wrote:

I'm certain its a piece of fiction, like most internet tales, because no matter how fractured the marriage, the wife would tell her husband she'd been diagnosed with cancer.

+1

Good sentiment, but yeah... that part irritated me. You'd have to be pretty fucked up to be fighting cancer for months and not tell your husband or son whom you live with.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    I started to read this but couldn't be arsed with how long it was to get to the moral of the story
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    My last message to you ~

• Options
    Yes, I did find that part very odd, where the wife did not tell the husband about her illness. I would tell my husband for sure. I would need his support. Unless...she didn't feel she would get the support she needed?

This story brings up a lot of thought-provoking questions about how close we think we are to the ones we love. It has given me much to think about.
  • Options
    Poncier wrote:

+1

Good sentiment, but yeah... that part irritated me. You'd have to be pretty fucked up to be fighting cancer for months and not tell your husband or son whom you live with.

Yeah, but how can you not pick up that the person you live with is not well! Really! I mean, I know my husband's moods, remind him to take medication. This is really gross, but I even know his bathroom habits, lol. This guy in the story obviously didn't give a f*ck, literally.

Yeah, it works both was... that's why it's obviously not a real story.

Like I said, I get the sentiment... We probably all could appreciate everything about our spouses more.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276

too many words for me. i'm out.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    That was so moving, I was trying to hold back the tears. I'm going to let my other half read this too.
    PJ Manchester MEN - 20.06.12
    PJ Manchester MEN - 21.06.12
    EV Manchester O2 Apollo - 28.07.12
    PJ Leeds Arena - 08.07.14
  • Options
    well, that was kind of a heavy read for a Friday.
    But, Life is a Bitch
    and this hits real close to home for me.
    My dad left my mom for his "jane".
    So yes, Jane is a marriage killing bitch!!
    But in the end, unlike my mother, the wife in this story has the last laugh (from the grave yes, but us women are vengeful like that...she was laughing in the end for sure), cuz she got the husband to come to his senses and realize what he had all along. Im sure the bitch Jane took him back after though. She's a ho like that.
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• Options
    edited September 2011
    My last message to you ~

• Options
    StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    Ms. Haiku wrote:

short answer to the highlighted part of your question is Yes...most definitely .... sometimes they do

hopefully no one we know...but unfortunately....not always
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Someone shared this 'note' with me. They said to pass it on and I am. It touched me so deeply.

When I got home that night as my wife served dinner, I held her hand and said, I've got something to tell you. She sat down and ate quietly. Again I observed the hurt in her eyes.

Suddenly I didn't know how to open my mouth. But I had to let her know what I was thinking. I want a divorce. I raised the topic calmly.

I avoided her question. This made her angry. She threw away the chopsticks and shouted at me, you are not a man! That night, we didn't talk to each other. She was weeping. I knew she wanted to find out what had happened to our marriage. But I could hardly give her a satisfactory answer; she had lost my heart to Jane. I didn't love her anymore. I just pitied her!

With a deep sense of guilt, I drafted a divorce agreement which stated that she could own our house, our car, and 30% stake of my company.

She glanced at it and then tore it into pieces. The woman who had spent ten years of her life with me had become a stranger. I felt sorry for her wasted time, resources and energy but I could not take back what I had said for I loved Jane so dearly. Finally she cried loudly in front of me, which was what I had expected to see. To me her cry was actually a kind of release. The idea of divorce which had obsessed me for several weeks seemed to be firmer and clearer now.

The next day, I came back home very late and found her writing something at the table. I didn't have supper but went straight to sleep and fell asleep very fast because I was tired after an eventful day with Jane.

When I woke up, she was still there at the table writing. I just did not care so I turned over and was asleep again.

In the morning she presented her divorce conditions: she didn't want anything from me, but needed a month's notice before the divorce. She requested that in that one month we both struggle to live as normal a life as possible. Her reasons were simple: our son had his exams in a month's time and she didn't want to disrupt him with our broken marriage.

This was agreeable to me. But she had something more, she asked me to recall how I had carried her into out bridal room on our wedding day.

She requested that every day for the month's duration I carry her out of our bedroom to the front door ever morning. I thought she was going crazy. Just to make our last days together bearable I accepted her odd request.

I told Jane about my wife's divorce conditions. . She laughed loudly and thought it was absurd. No matter what tricks she applies, she has to face the divorce, she said scornfully.

My wife and I hadn't had any body contact since my divorce intention was explicitly expressed. So when I carried her out on the first day, we both appeared clumsy. Our son clapped behind us, daddy is holding mommy in his arms. His words brought me a sense of pain. From the bedroom to the sitting room, then to the door, I walked over ten meters with her in my arms. She closed her eyes and said softly; don't tell our son about the divorce. I nodded, feeling somewhat upset. I put her down outsidethe door. She went to wait for the bus to work. I drove alone to the office.

On the second day, both of us acted much more easily. She leaned on my chest. I could smell the fragrance of her blouse. I realized that I hadn't looked at this woman carefully for a long time. I realized she was not young any more. There were fine wrinkles on her face, her hair was graying! Our marriage had taken its toll on her. For a minute I wondered what I had done to her.

On the fourth day, when I lifted her up, I felt a sense of intimacy returning. This was the woman who had given ten years of her life to me.

On the fifth and sixth day, I realized that our sense of intimacy was growing again. I didn't tell Jane about this. It became easier to carry her as the month slipped by. Perhaps the everyday workout made me stronger.

She was choosing what to wear one morning. She tried on quite a few dresses but could not find a suitable one. Then she sighed, all my dresses have grown bigger. I suddenly realized that she had grown so thin, that was the reason why I could carry her more easily.

Suddenly it hit me... she had buried so much pain and bitterness in her heart. Subconsciously I reached out and touched her head.

Our son came in at the moment and said, Dad, it's time to carry mom out. To him, seeing his father carrying his mother out had become an essential part of his life. My wife gestured to our son to come closer and hugged him tightly. I turned my face away because I was afraid I might change my mind at this last minute. I then held her in my arms, walking from the bedroom, through the sitting room, to the hallway. Her hand surrounded my neck softly and naturally. I held her body tightly; it was just like our wedding day.

But her much lighter weight made me sad. On the last day, when I held her in my arms I could hardly move a step. Our son had gone to school. I held her tightly and said, I hadn't noticed that our life lacked intimacy.

I drove to office.... jumped out of the car swiftly without locking the door. I was afraid any delay would make me change my mind...I walked upstairs. Jane opened the door and I said to her, Sorry, Jane, I do not want the divorce anymore.

She looked at me, astonished, and then touched my forehead. Do you have a fever? She said. I moved her hand off my head. Sorry, Jane, I said, I won't divorce. My marriage life was boring probably because she and I didn't value the details of our lives, not because we didn't love each other anymore. Now I realize that since I carried her into my home on our wedding day I am supposed to hold her until death do us apart.

Jane seemed to suddenly wake up. She gave me a loud slap and then slammed the door and burst into tears. I walked downstairs and drove away.

At the floral shop on the way, I ordered a bouquet of flowers for my wife. The salesgirl asked me what to write on the card. I smiled and wrote, I'll carry you out every morning until death do us apart.

That evening I arrived home, flowers in my hands, a smile on my face, I run up stairs, only to find my wife in the bed - dead.

My wife had been fighting CANCER for months and I was so busy with Jane to even notice. She knew that she would die soon and she wanted to save me from the whatever negative reaction from our son, in case we push thru with the divorce.-- At least, in the eyes of our son--- I'm a loving husband....

The small details of your lives are what really matter in a relationship. It is not the mansion, the car, property, the money in the bank. These create an environment conducive for happiness but cannot give happiness in themselves. So find time to be your spouse's friend and do those little things for each other that build intimacy. Do have a real happy marriage!

Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.

Thank you for posting.
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Love has ebb and flow ... the lucky ones ride it through :D
  • Options
    TS96221TS96221 Posts: 45
    edited September 2011
    It was on snopes. I think it is a piece of fiction that has been altered. IMO, the wife should have shared that she had cancer and maybe the husband would have helped her throughout the treatment. Unfair of her to not reveal it...
    http://www.snopes.com/glurge/carry.asp
    Post edited by TS96221 on
  • Options

Really??? I could change that guys name to mine. WTF.
    Just, not enough.
    I need more.
    Nothing seems to satisfy.
    I said, I dont want it.
    I just need it.
    To breathe, to feel, to know Im alive.
  • Options
    I kept thinking that "Jane" was going to be a pseudonym for marijuana, and this was a disguised anti-drug message. Thanks the lord that wasn't the case!
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.