The Death Penalty

Comments

• ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    DS1119 wrote:
    Well since this was your quote

"Except people like Seung-Hui Cho at Virginia Tech, or Adam Lanza at Newtown, didn't have criminal records, and yet they still managed to get their hands on guns and carry out a massacre. So your point is moot."

What does this have to do with the death penalty then? :?

Because you said this:
    DS1119 wrote:
    Once you are convicted of a crime all bets are off...including owning a weapon and in the States where they support capital punishment your life.

Nothing to do with drunk driving.
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Byrnzie wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    Well since this was your quote

"Except people like Seung-Hui Cho at Virginia Tech, or Adam Lanza at Newtown, didn't have criminal records, and yet they still managed to get their hands on guns and carry out a massacre. So your point is moot."

What does this have to do with the death penalty then? :?

Because you said this:
    DS1119 wrote:
    Once you are convicted of a crime all bets are off...including owning a weapon and in the States where they support capital punishment your life.

Nothing to do with drunk driving.

Still makes zero sense. This is a talk about the death penalty. :?
    DS1119 wrote:
    Still makes zero sense. This is a talk about the death penalty. :?

So then why did you bring it up?
    DS1119 wrote:
    Not lame at all. Someone writes an article...a subjective one at that...and I guess we should all read it and take it as some divine truth. :lol:

So you're claiming the figures she presents are false?

Here's what she said:

'Executions have decreased 75% since their peak in 1996, and Connecticut joined 17 other states and the District of Columbia in abolishing capital punishment. All in all, the United States justice system killed 43 people last year.'

'..we imprison more people than any other nation ever has – more than China, more than the Soviet Union at the height of the gulags. We have 5% of the world's population, but 25% of the world's prisoners. And we lock up more of our children than anyone else: more than 70,000 kids were in jail in 2010, and Texas alone has sentenced more than 400 minors to life behind bars.'

'More than three quarters of death penalty convictions are for crimes involving white victims, even though half of all murder victims in the US are black. And a black defendant accused of murdering a white victim is three times more likely to get the death penalty than a white person accused of killing a white victim.'

You say the article is subjective and that her facts are false? So now put your fucking money where your mouth is and show us how and why they're false.
    Byrnzie wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    Not lame at all. Someone writes an article...a subjective one at that...and I guess we should all read it and take it as some divine truth. :lol:

So you're claiming the figures she presents are false?

Here's what she said:

'Executions have decreased 75% since their peak in 1996, and Connecticut joined 17 other states and the District of Columbia in abolishing capital punishment. All in all, the United States justice system killed 43 people last year.'

'..we imprison more people than any other nation ever has – more than China, more than the Soviet Union at the height of the gulags. We have 5% of the world's population, but 25% of the world's prisoners. And we lock up more of our children than anyone else: more than 70,000 kids were in jail in 2010, and Texas alone has sentenced more than 400 minors to life behind bars.'

'More than three quarters of death penalty convictions are for crimes involving white victims, even though half of all murder victims in the US are black. And a black defendant accused of murdering a white victim is three times more likely to get the death penalty than a white person accused of killing a white victim.'

You say the article is subjective and that her facts are false? So now put your fucking money where your mouth is and show us how and why they're false.

You did read the link to the website I posted earlier in the thread correct? And there you go with your old trick of trying to put words into people's mouths. I never said her statistics were false. I think I posted about that earlier too. Her translation and inclusion and exclusion of statistics is fully subjective.
    DS1119 wrote:
    You did read the link to the website I posted earlier in the thread correct?

Probably not. Maybe you can explain how your link has any relevance to anything you've posted on the last two pages of this thread?
    DS1119 wrote:
    And there you go with your old trick of trying to put words into people's mouths. I never said her statistics were false. I think I posted about that earlier too. Her translation and inclusion and exclusion of statistics is fully subjective.

:lol::lol: Having fun playing your silly little games are you?

Go ahead and enlighten us all with the statistics that that you claim she left out of her article, and that render her article a 'ridiculous fluff piece'.

I'm waiting.
    Byrnzie wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    You did read the link to the website I posted earlier in the thread correct?

Probably not. Maybe you can explain how your link has any relevance to anything you've posted on the last two pages of this thread?
    DS1119 wrote:
    And there you go with your old trick of trying to put words into people's mouths. I never said her statistics were false. I think I posted about that earlier too. Her translation and inclusion and exclusion of statistics is fully subjective.

:lol::lol: Having fun playing your silly little games are you?

Go ahead and enlighten us all with the statistics that that you claim she left out of her article, and that render her article a 'ridiculous fluff piece'.

I'm waiting.

Again...check the link that you said you didn't read...and actually I think you stated you wouldn't read a few pages back. All of the stats you need.
    DS1119 wrote:
    Again...check the link that you said you didn't read...and actually I think you stated you wouldn't read a few pages back. All of the stats you need.

I can't be bothered to look for it. So why don't you post it again and explain how it directly contradicts the figures posted by Jill Filipovic in the Guardian article?

Or perhaps you didn't actually read anything on the page to the link you posted, but just saw that it was a pro-death penalty website and so thought you'd drop it into the fray without having a fucking clue about what it contained?
    Byrnzie wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

I can't be bothered to look for it.?

Your scroll button doesn't work?
    DS1119 wrote:
    Byrnzie wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

I can't be bothered to look for it.?

Your scroll button doesn't work?

It works fine. But I'm not gonna play your silly games. Also, I happen to think you're full of shit, and that you haven't actually looked at the webpage you posted the link to. I think you don't have the faintest fucking clue what that webpage contains, even less how it contradicts the statistics of the article I posted above.
  • As I said earlier, I know I'd have a hard time not wanting revenge if someone killed my loved ones, but here is an interesting story:

http://todaynews.today.com/_news/2013/0 ... es-us?lite
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    As I said earlier, I know I'd have a hard time not wanting revenge if someone killed my loved ones, but here is an interesting story:

http://todaynews.today.com/_news/2013/0 ... es-us?lite
    I'm glad that their own strength (and religion) helped them get through this. I doubt I could be as...(what is the word I'm looking for)...as they are, especially during those days while their daughter was on life support.

Good on them, if it brings peace.
    Byrnzie wrote:

It works fine. But I'm not gonna play your silly games. Also, I happen to think you're full of shit, and that you haven't actually looked at the webpage you posted the link to. I think you don't have the faintest fucking clue what that webpage contains, even less how it contradicts the statistics of the article I posted above.

I suggest you should look at it. There's at least a 1000 links to various articles. Interesting reading actually.
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    Maryland will be the 18th state to outlaw the death penalty
    I have a feeling in the coming years we will see more of this trend...

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/03 ... alty?lite=

A bill to outlaw capital punishment cleared the state House of Delegates on Friday and has already been approved by the Senate. Gov. Martin O’Malley, a Democrat, has said that he will sign it.

O’Malley told reporters after the vote that the ban validates a “core belief that we share in the dignity of every human being.”

“Overwhelming evidence tells us that the death penalty does not work,” he said earlier in the day on Twitter. He added: “Especially in tough times, if a public policy is expensive and does not work, then we should stop doing it.”

The vote in the House was 82-56.

Maryland has five men on death row; the new legislation would allow the governor to commute their sentences. The state last executed someone in 2005. It has put five people to death since reinstating the death penalty in 1978.

The House of Delegates rejected more than 20 proposed amendments to the ban, most proposed by Republicans, including some that would have allowed the death penalty in certain cases, such as child murders and the killing of police officers.

The other 17 states that have outlawed the death penalty are mostly in the Midwest and Northeast. The District of Columbia has also banned it. Maryland is the sixth state in six years to enact such a ban, according to the Death Penalty Information Center.

O’Malley has been mentioned as a possible Democratic presidential candidate in 2016.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Maryland will be the 18th state to outlaw the death penalty
    I have a feeling in the coming years we will see more of this trend...

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/03 ... alty?lite=

A bill to outlaw capital punishment cleared the state House of Delegates on Friday and has already been approved by the Senate. Gov. Martin O’Malley, a Democrat, has said that he will sign it.

O’Malley told reporters after the vote that the ban validates a “core belief that we share in the dignity of every human being.”

“Overwhelming evidence tells us that the death penalty does not work,” he said earlier in the day on Twitter. He added: “Especially in tough times, if a public policy is expensive and does not work, then we should stop doing it.”

The vote in the House was 82-56.

Maryland has five men on death row; the new legislation would allow the governor to commute their sentences. The state last executed someone in 2005. It has put five people to death since reinstating the death penalty in 1978.

The House of Delegates rejected more than 20 proposed amendments to the ban, most proposed by Republicans, including some that would have allowed the death penalty in certain cases, such as child murders and the killing of police officers.

The other 17 states that have outlawed the death penalty are mostly in the Midwest and Northeast. The District of Columbia has also banned it. Maryland is the sixth state in six years to enact such a ban, according to the Death Penalty Information Center.

O’Malley has been mentioned as a possible Democratic presidential candidate in 2016.

This is great news for sadistic, serial, and child murderers!

What a crock of shit this is: we share in the dignity of every human being. I guess this implies that people who seek a stronger sentence for disgusting crimes are indignant? I wonder if Martin O'Malley would still feel so enlightened if it was his daughter that was savagely killed by some creep taking his 12th victim?

If someone thinks a cell in isolation, fresh coffee in the morning, 3 squares, satellite television, sex dolls, newspapaers, crossword puzzles, air conditioning, the best medical and dental plan available to man, massage therapy, and an opportunity for parole is appropriate justice for... oh... say, Ted Bundy... their head is lodged firmly up their ass.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    keep death penalty..more massacre are coming
    viewtopic.php?f=13&t=205837
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... gn=Content

5 Surprising Facts About the Death Penalty Worldwide

Amnesty International's annual report reveals downward trend.

Alexis Manning
    National Geographic News
    April 12, 2013

Amnesty International released their 2012 annual report on capital punishment this week, highlighting information on the differing ways countries handle execution around the world.

Here are five of the most interesting death penalty facts from last year:

1. The United States ranked fifth for the highest number of executions.

The U.S. takes a spot behind China, Iran, Iraq, and Saudi Arabia for the most executions in the world last year, sitting ahead of Yemen and the Sudan.

This ranking comes as no surprise to Brian Evans, Amnesty International's acting director on the Death Penalty Abolition Campaign, who said the same countries are in the top eight every year. (See video: "Inside Death Row.")

But why is the U.S.—which seems like somewhat of an outlier politically, culturally, and geographically—always in the top five?

According to Evans, the U.S. has a strict attitude toward punishment in general. Having a severe attitude toward the death penalty is only natural when you consider that the U.S. leads the world in mass incarceration of prisoners and holds records for solitary confinement and sentences to life in prison.

2. Saudia Arabia saw the execution of one man by "crucifixion."

Methods of execution vary between regions based on culture and available technology, and they usually include standard tactics, such as hanging, beheading, firing squad, and lethal injection. In Saudi Arabia, however, one accused man was put on display after being beheaded in a practice known as crucifixion, according to the country's state news agency, SPA.

The reasoning behind executions also vary around the world. In Papua New Guinea, for example, a woman and her two daughters are currently being held captive with charges of sorcery and risk a death sentence. It's common in the Pacific country for those accused of sorcery, especially women, to face horrific acts of violence that often end in death.

3. China keeps its execution numbers secret.

The Chinese government is notorious for keeping statistics about their criminal executions secret, and in past years, Amnesty International was forced to rank China based on the minimum number of executions that researchers could confirm. Since that number was always drastically lower than the assumed reality, researchers now use reliable media sources and human rights groups—rather than official government sources—to estimate the number of executions in China.

Using this data, the 2012 report estimates that thousands of criminals were killed in China last year alone, while the tally for the rest of the world combined stands at 682.

4. Japan's executions actually increased in 2012 after a long hiatus.

While the global trend for the death penalty is actually declining around the world, Japan—and other notable countries such as India and Pakistan—resumed executing criminals after a long stint of being execution-free. At least seven death row inmates were killed in Japan last year, ending a 20-month period without executions.

Why the change? "It all depends on which political party is in power," Evans said. One prime minister will come into power and abolish the practice, then the next will just reinstate it, leaving the lives of criminals in the hands of changing political whims.

5. Just 21 countries in the world carried out the death penalty last year.

In the broad scope of things, only a fraction of the world's total countries (the total being 195 by National Geographic's count) actually used execution as a means of punishment last year. That number is down from 28 countries just a decade earlier, suggesting a downward trend in the global practice.

The few countries that do still practice execution are situated in "regional pockets" around the world, Evans noted. Just four countries in the Middle East, for example, are responsible for all the executions in the region. And in the U.S., death penalty laws differ by state, with hotbeds of execution in the U.S. South, Ohio, and Arizona.

In December 2012, 111 countries—or more than half the world's countries—voted in favor of a United Nations resolution that would declare a global moratorium on executions.

As for the other countries? "They'll come around when they take a longer look at their death penalties," Evans said, "but it'll be a while."
    If someone thinks a cell in isolation, fresh coffee in the morning, 3 squares, satellite television, sex dolls, newspapaers, crossword puzzles, air conditioning, the best medical and dental plan available to man, massage therapy, and an opportunity for parole is appropriate justice for... oh... say, Ted Bundy... their head is lodged firmly up their ass.

Except that isn't what life in a U.S jail consists of.
  • Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    Byrnzie wrote:

I am curious, what do you know about spending time in a US jail ?

Godfather.
    one more question, how many were put to deth in the US during this time and what were their crimes ?

Godfather.
    Godfather. wrote:

I don't have first-hand experience - do you? But from what I know it's not the cozy retreat that Thirty Bills painted it to be in his above post.

(I've read descriptions of conditions within U.S jails from such people as Mumia Abal Jamal, Leonard Peltier, and Damian Echols, among others).
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    Morgan Spurlock on his show 30 days stayed in a jail for... well... 30 days.

He stayed in solitary for a day or two as well.

He said he couldn't imagine spending months or a year in there, as it was so terrible... little contact with the outside world was driving him nuts. And this was just in a low level, low security jail.

If you're interested and have Netflix, check out the episode.
  • Godfather. wrote:
    Byrnzie wrote:

Godfather.

most go bonkers from being caged like an animal for years on end.
    most live in fear for their physical well being, if not their lives, for 24 hours a day.
    3 squares does not include lobster, steak, or lemon pudding. not even close.
    if I was locked up for 20 years, a crossword puzzle would not make me think "wow, this place isn't so bad".
    sex dolls are, if true, probably there to reduce aggression and/or rape between inmates.
    if you are going to lock someone up, you can't deny them basic physical care.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    25 years in solitary.....

http://solitarywatch.com/2013/03/11/voi ... han-death/

it's a good read.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    HFD,(pardon my spelling) most inmates that do an extended amount time in prison become instunitionalized
    and have a hard time coping with life outside of prison, long timers become "important" in the prison world and have status amung their group, point is that while I never heard of anybody getting a blow up doll they do become comfortable in their soroundings and get thing's like T.V''s coffee and coffee pots,drugs,and even money so when you hear people that have never been to prison say it's a country club that may be what they are refering to.

Godfather.
  • 81 wrote:

it's a good read.

yep, exactly what I've been saying for years why the death penalty isn't even needed. solitary is worse than a death sentence.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Godfather. wrote:
    HFD,(pardon my spelling) most inmates that do an extended amount time in prison become instunitionalized
    and have a hard time coping with life outside of prison, long timers become "important" in the prison world and have status amung their group, point is that while I never heard of anybody getting a blow up doll they do become comfortable in their soroundings and get thing's like T.V''s coffee and coffee pots,drugs,and even money so when you hear people that have never been to prison say it's a country club that may be what they are refering to.

Godfather.

I know, and that's what I mean. they somehow believe just because they have very few of the amenities that "free" people do, they think it's an easy life. if you stuck me in my basement for 20 years, even with my tv, computer, and music, I'd go bonkers inside of a week. never mind years.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Godfather. wrote:

Godfather.

Clifford Olson was the beneficiary of generous prison conditions.

Sex dolls and dollars for bodies were a few that seem a little excessive to me.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Godfather. wrote:

Godfather.

Clifford Olson was the beneficiary of generous prison conditions.

Sex dolls and dollars for bodies were a few that seem a little excessive to me.

that's the exception, not the rule, if that's even true.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,355
    81 wrote:

it's a good read.

yep, exactly what I've been saying for years why the death penalty isn't even needed. solitary is worse than a death sentence.

I'd be willing to bet that if the death penalty is banned, the next thing under attack will be solitary confinement as it will be seen as cruel and unusual punishment.
    hippiemom = goodness