Drinks seem more powerful at a bar

CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
edited September 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Am i the only person who believes in this phenomenon? If I am at home watching the game and have some beers and a shot or 2, I am usually fine.. If I am at the bar watching the game, I usually leave there fucking ripped (don't worry folks, there are 17 establishments with liquor licenses within walking distance of my home, I dont drive) It just seems I get drunker at bars. I don't get it..
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    I think it's the ambiance that has something to do with it.

Go to a crappy bar=people there you don't care for you aren't gonna have as much fun

Go to a fun bar=you have people around you that are fun, you have a good time

same thing at concerts

if I just went to PJ20 without knowing anybody, I don't think I'd have as much fun. Since I did know a lot of people, and liked them, I had a lot of fun. Probably why I didn't drink...I would have been out of control. :lol:

or it could be that the bartender is just doubling your drinks because they like you....or they pump extra oxygen into the bars...
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • I dont know what it is.. but I do like it! I wasn't complaining ;)
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    edited September 2011
    its the alcohol reacting with the endorphins released by the mood you find yourself in by being in a bar.
    Post edited by catefrances on
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • its the alcohol reacting with the endorphins released by the the environment you find yourself in in a bar.
    Hmmm.. this sounds plausible..
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    its the alcohol reacting with the endorphins released by the the environment you find yourself in in a bar.
    Hmmm.. this sounds plausible..

i just thought of it.. but it made sense to me.

though if youre in a downer alcohol enhances that too so....

... i guess alcohol is like a highlighter of sorts. either way its yummy.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    It's one's nerves ... an excited nervous system is more effected by alcohol
    this very true at house parties too... even in your own home

also if you've been drinking and then eat you are more inclined to feel the alcohol effects
    even a short term blackout if you've consumed a lot of drink

so eat as you drink when you are out ... drink slow and relax

I've learned this from way too many lampshade awards ;)
  • the reason is there are women at the bars....
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,950
    it's the roofies you've been given. Remember you are VGL are you not? :mrgreen:
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • hostishostis Posts: 441
    have you also noticed how drinks are more potent if drunk in the afternoon and not evening? a pint at lunch gets me buzzed so quickly....
  • mickeyrat wrote:
    it's the roofies you've been given. Remember you are VGL are you not? :mrgreen:

:lol::lol:
  • surprising since you are drinking watered down liquor
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    mickeyrat wrote:
    Remember you are VGL are you not? :mrgreen:

so he says..... :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    do you end up drinking more at the bar?

bigger beers?

better beers?

bigger shots of liqour?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    RKCNDY wrote:
    Probably why I didn't drink...I would have been out of control. :lol:

:(
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    81 wrote:

bigger beers?

better beers?

bigger shots of liqour?
    i always get the 22oz drafts........ just sayin
    conman wrote:
    81 wrote:

bigger beers?

better beers?

bigger shots of liqour?
    i always get the 22oz drafts........ just sayin

could be the count is off..

at home he has two 12oz cans of beers...at the bar..two 22oz glasses of beer.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    surprising since you are drinking watered down liquor

watered down liqour?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:

watered down liqour?
    Definately not at my regular bar.. And Yes I usually drink the 22oz. of whatever Sam Adams is in season..
    I think they just go down faster, easier out of the big frosted glasses.. not to mention all of the roofies.. I always wondered why I wake up next to strange women ;)
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    norm.jpg
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    hostis wrote:
    have you also noticed how drinks are more potent if drunk in the afternoon and not evening? a pint at lunch gets me buzzed so quickly....

Maybe because you have less food in your stomach in the afternoon? I've noticed this too - there's nothing worse than a day-drunk hangover!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,150
    81 wrote:

watered down liqour?
    Definately not at my regular bar.. And Yes I usually drink the 22oz. of whatever Sam Adams is in season..
    I think they just go down faster, easier out of the big frosted glasses.. not to mention all of the roofies.. I always wondered why I wake up next to strange women ;)

Frosted glasses kill the taste of beer. You should only use a frosted glass when you are trying to put down crappy beer fast :lol:.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    SVRDhand13 wrote:

Frosted glasses kill the taste of beer. You should only use a frosted glass when you are trying to put down crappy beer fast :lol:.

we need an expert to make a ruling on this...d-man?
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    how about "whipple shots"? that is the name I came up for the alcoholic whipped cream or really the act of giving one a whipple shot by spraying a bunch in their mouth.
  • RKCNDY wrote:
    SVRDhand13 wrote:

Beer aficionados say never to chill a beer glass. It will dilute the beer, alter the taste, etc.. However there is nothing like the look and feel of a nice frosted glass full of fermented goodness in the summertime.
  • afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    how about "whipple shots"? that is the name I came up for the alcoholic whipped cream or really the act of giving one a whipple shot by spraying a bunch in their mouth.

Whipple shots...I like the sound of that...so what does this make the person distribuing the shots (81)? Mr. Whipple? Or should we just call him shot girl? :D
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • afroannnie wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

Whipple shots...I like the sound of that...so what does this make the person distribuing the shots (81)? Mr. Whipple? Or should we just call him shot girl? :D

Google "Mr. Whipple" That's 81 all right...
    RKCNDY wrote:
    SVRDhand13 wrote:

Beer aficionados say never to chill a beer glass. It will dilute the beer, alter the taste, etc.. However there is nothing like the look and feel of a nice frosted glass full of fermented goodness in the summertime.

proper beer should be served at cellar tempature. call it 45-55 degrees depending on the beer....

if you are really lucky, you will visit a bar with a beer engine.... 8-)
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    afroannnie wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

Google "Mr. Whipple" That's 81 all right...

I knew that smoking baby looked familiar... :D
  • Half Shipyard Pumpkinhead, Half Guinness. Pour in a shot of Stoli Vanilla. Mix with spoon. It's called the Ichabod Crane. Now that's a powerful drink. The bartender made us several of those last weekend in Portland.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    Half Shipyard Pumpkinhead, Half Guinness. Pour in a shot of Stoli Vanilla. Mix with spoon. It's called the Ichabod Crane. Now that's a powerful drink. The bartender made us several of those last weekend in Portland.
    Sounds delish...