Options

'Pearl Jam Begin Work on Ninth Studio Album' - from Rolling Stone

uglybabouglybabo Posts: 518
edited May 2008 in The Porch
"Pearl Jam have begun work on early demos for their ninth studio album *— which will be their first with producer Brendan O’Brien since 1998’s Yield, according to guitarist Mike McCready.

“It’s really in its infant stages right now,” McCready tells Rolling Stone. “We have about five ideas that have been worked on.” The band, whose last album was 2006’s well-received Pearl Jam, isn’t sure yet about the direction of the new release. “Brendan is another set of ears that we respect, and he’s going to give us a different way to go but I don’t know what that is yet,” McCready says. The band has already had one session with O’Brien, and will probably resume work on the album in July after finishing their June U.S. tour. (Also in July, the band is planning to appear on VH1’s Rock Honors special, which will honor PJ faves the Who.)"

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2008/05/02/pearl-jam-begin-work-on-ninth-studio-album/
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    SpinTheBlackOSpinTheBlackO Posts: 385
    holy hannah that's neat
    Follow the ageless tide.
    Follow the angled light.
    Follow the strangest tribe.
  • Options
    poto101poto101 Posts: 398
    sweeeeet. exactly two years after avocado came out!

i'm psyched they're working with o'brien, i just hope this one won't take over a year like the last record
    It's all happening....

East Troy 2003
    Chicago x2, Summerfest x2, 2006
    Chicago THE VIC, Lollapalooza, 2007
    bonnaROOOOOOO 2008
    Chicago x2 2009

(EV chicago 2008 night 2)
  • Options
    No problem.

I also like the fact that this confirms the Who show.
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,474
    I like the different direction part on what this album may end up like. Very cool they are open to different sounds

awesome

also sounds like '09
  • Options
    swallowedwordsswallowedwords Posts: 1,093
    Let's hope this means a massive 2009 Tour!!!
    Free the West Memphis Three
    www.wm3.org

Ron Paul 2012
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,886
    Let's hope this means a massive 2009 Tour!!!

exactly
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    Besides the album/O'Brien news, I'm a bit excited to know they're planning to do the Rock Honors show in tribute to The Who.

Thanks for posting this!

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    Yellow BedwetterYellow Bedwetter NYC Posts: 2,832
    mwilmot4 wrote:
    "Pearl Jam have begun work on early demos for their ninth studio album *— which will be their first with producer Brendan O’Brien since 1998’s Yield, according to guitarist Mike McCready.

“It’s really in its infant stages right now,” McCready tells Rolling Stone. “We have about five ideas that have been worked on.” The band, whose last album was 2006’s well-received Pearl Jam, isn’t sure yet about the direction of the new release. “Brendan is another set of ears that we respect, and he’s going to give us a different way to go but I don’t know what that is yet,” McCready says. The band has already had one session with O’Brien, and will probably resume work on the album in July after finishing their June U.S. tour. (Also in July, the band is planning to appear on VH1’s Rock Honors special, which will honor PJ faves the Who.)"

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2008/05/02/pearl-jam-begin-work-on-ninth-studio-album/

Yes
    Yes
    Yes
    And Go Duff
    2005: Borgata 2, Philly
    2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
    2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
    2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
    2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2
    2012: Made in America
    2013: BK1, BK2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizens
    2016: MSG 2 (ISO MSG1)
    EV Solo: NJPAC 2008; Tower Theatre, PA 2009; Hartford 2011
  • Options
    I really hope BOB aims for better sound quality on this than he did on Springsteen's latest. But I'm literally bouncing on my seat with anticipation, and caffeine-overload.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    Yeah YEAH YEAH! Hoping for late 08!!! Can't Wait!!!

On a serious note though, for you older folks, in the past when words has released that they're working on an album, how long does it typically take to finish? Considering their a little light on touring, and they've had 5 days of sessions....how many days of sessions equals an album. I'm rambling a little i know but am very eager for answers. thanks!
    PJ: Hartford 6/27/08 Mansfield 6/30/08 Philly 3 Oct. 30 2009
    Philly 4 Oct. 31 2009 Hartford May 2010 Boston May 2010 MSG 1 May 2010
    EV: Albany 1 and 2 June 2009 Providence June 15 2011 Hartford June 18 2011
  • Options
    wilmack88 wrote:
    Yeah YEAH YEAH! Hoping for late 08!!! Can't Wait!!!

On a serious note though, for you older folks, in the past when words has released that they're working on an album, how long does it typically take to finish? Considering their a little light on touring, and they've had 5 days of sessions....how many days of sessions equals an album. I'm rambling a little i know but am very eager for answers. thanks!

I would guess about a year. Of course that depends if they have a few songs left over from the last album; and if they follow the Radiohead model then we may get the album soon after it's mastered.
  • Options
    My guess is the album would be out late winter/early spring '09.
  • Options
    woundedorganwoundedorgan Posts: 607
    what about a "2010 watch it go to fire" Tour....
    God Loves Pearl Jam
  • Options
    bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008
    It's beautiful to hear that O'Brien will be back!
    I'm really excited for this album, I know it will be amazing..and then a huge tour to follow? Can a fan get any happier? :D
  • Options
    HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    It's go time
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Options
    given2fly10given2fly10 Posts: 485
    what about a "2010 watch it go to fire" Tour....
    ahhh you mean the last cd and farewell tour, is that what you mean. haha just kidding. thank god O'Brien is back
    And he still gives his love, he just gives it away, The love he receives is the love that is saved, And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky, A human being that was given to fly

no bed=no brian

coke sucks
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    If B.O'B had produced Binaural (like he did the remixes for the singles from that album), Binaural would be on top of everyones lists because the production would be "better" (I think it kicks ass as/is) and songs like "Sad" and "Fatal" probably would have made the album.
  • Options
    Im still hereIm still here Posts: 826
    Bump
    PEARL JAM~Lubbock, TX. 10~18~00
    PEARL JAM~San Antonio, TX. 4~5~03
    INCUBUS~Houston, TX. 1~19~07
    INCUBUS~Denver, CO. 2~8~07
    Lollapalooza~Chicago, IL. 8~5~07
    INCUBUS~Austin, TX. 9~3~07
    Bonnaroo~Manchester, TN 6~14~08
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,474
    Ra Ra Ra......Best album in years....Ra Ra Ra
  • Options
    InHiding19InHiding19 Posts: 2,385
    How wicked wild!!!
    Out of the Blue and Into the Black................Uncle Neil Philly 08 here I come!!!!
  • Options
    yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    This is certainly good news.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Options
    as Beavis might say as he's about to sport wood:

"BOOOOOOOIIIIIINGGGGGG!"
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,631
    If B.O'B had produced Binaural (like he did the remixes for the singles from that album), Binaural would be on top of everyones lists because the production would be "better" (I think it kicks ass as/is) and songs like "Sad" and "Fatal" probably would have made the album.

I thought I read somewhere that Tchad Blake's (sp?) favorite song from those sessions was Fatal. I think Pearl Jam the band was responsible for Binaural. Even O'Brien came in and couldn't save God's Dice, Breakerfall, and Evacuation.

Pearl Jam sabotaged Binaural by leaving off some great songs and releasing NAIS first. Although, Pearl Jam do not and will never have to worry about sabotaging any of their future records.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,631

I thought I read somewhere that Tchad Blake's (sp?) favorite song from those sessions was Fatal. I think Pearl Jam the band was responsible for Binaural. Even O'Brien came in and couldn't save God's Dice, Breakerfall, and Evacuation.

Pearl Jam sabotaged Binaural by leaving off some great songs and releasing NAIS first. Although, Pearl Jam do not and will never have to worry about sabotaging any of their future records.
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549

If they were capable and successful (according to you) in 99/00, what makes them immune from doing the same thing to another record down the road?

Boom? He and O'Brien are the two major factors of difference between then and now.

I'm having trouble understanding your overall point. :confused:

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    SpinTheBlackOSpinTheBlackO Posts: 385
    the album in question here is by far my favorite album
    Follow the ageless tide.
    Follow the angled light.
    Follow the strangest tribe.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,203
    bovy_j wrote:
    It's beautiful to hear that O'Brien will be back!
    I'm really excited for this album, I know it will be amazing..and then a huge tour to follow? Can a fan get any happier? :D

agreed!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Stone IronsStone Irons Posts: 430

Actually, the band decided on the final tracklisting for Binaural with Brendan when they remixed several of the tracks with him. It's mentioned in this article: http://www.giventowail.com/new/mike/articles/gw700.php
    Can't escape from the common rule...
    If you hate something, don't you do it too
  • Options
    Sharon_Hearts_PJSharon_Hearts_PJ Bristol, PA Posts: 1,383
    If Brendan's back, is Boom out? This is interesting stuff. I'm thrilled that they're working on new stuff, though! I agree, though, that this is making it look good for a tour in 2009. Which would mean I will have seen them in 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, and 2009. No wonder 2007 sucked so much!
    *Rock and/or Roll!*
  • Options
    Marie CurieMarie Curie Posts: 1,250
    billboard article:
    http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003798154

Pearl Jam Reteams With Brendan O'Brien For New Album

Pearl Jam has started recording its ninth studio album with producer Brendan O'Brien, guitarist Mike McCready told Seattle radio station KISW yesterday (May 1). Though only "four or five" songs are being worked on so far, McCready said the band is hoping to release the record in 2008.

The new effort, a follow-up to its self-titled 2006 album, finds Pearl Jam reteaming with longtime producer Brendan O'Brien (Bruce Springsteen, Rage Against the Machine) for the first time since 1998's "Yield." O'Brien has also produced Pearl Jam's "Vs." (1993), "Vitalogy" (1994) and "No Code."

The two parties first reunited last year to record a cover of the Who's "Love Reign O'er Me" for the soundtrack to the Adam Sandler film "Reign Over Me."

"Brendan works really fast," Pearl Jam bassist Jeff Ament told Billboard.com in March. "He's a super pro. I've always felt, working with him, that he understood me as a bass player and that's not always easy. A lot of producers are there to please the singer. But I've always had a great rapport with him. I can tell him I want something to sound like the O'Jays or Led Zeppelin or PJ Harvey and he gets it."

"We've always been friends," O'Brien told Billboard.com last fall. "They were great to me when we were making records together [before], and we still remained very good friends ... I still think they're a great band. Eddie [Vedder] has one of the best, if not the best, voices out there. When he sings, people believe them."
    “Life is life everywhere. Life is in ourselves and not outside us. There will be men beside me, and the important thing is to be a man among men and to remain a man always, whatever the misfortunes, not to despair and not to fall - that is the aim of life, that is its purpose.”
    Fyodor Dostoyevsky