My Dad passed away on Friday morning

JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
edited September 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
My loving father died very peacefully at 12:55am on Friday morning.

My entire immediate family was at his bedside in his final hours of life. My sister flew in from NYC immediately after the nurse told us that the end was near, so luckily, she was able to spend the last few hours with my dad.

The scene was very peaceful, and even after he passed away, there was still calm in the room. Sitting in my parent's living room at 2am waiting for the mortuary to come pick him up was very trippy, but we were able to share some humor.

Today was his funeral, and it was a beautiful event. Seeing so many friends and family members really brought comfort to my family and I. My sister, brother and I each spoke about my dad, and it was great to share some anticdotes with everyone in attendance.

At the graveside service, my mom, wife, sister and I spent time together at his coffin.....it ended with some
chuckles. Once he was lowered into the ground, everyone had the chance to shovel dirt over the coffin (Jewish custom), and this created a nice vibe of togetherness. My mom thanked me for being her son......the most powerful moment of my life.

Thanks for reading.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    oh Joe! :(

I'm so sorry to hear of your father's passing, I know this year has been tough for you and your family. I wish you peace in your heart and my thoughts are with you.

Your father must be proud to have you as a son.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    My thoughts and prays are with you and your family.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • I am sorry to hear this. Much love, light and peace for your dad, you and all your family. Hugs
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    So sorry to hear but I'm glad it was peaceful and you got quality time with the whole family. Big hugs to you. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • iamicaiamica Posts: 2,628
    Very sorry for your loss.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    :(
  • my condolences..alll the best to you and your family
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Oh, Joe, I am so very sorry to hear that. My heart and prayers go out to you and your family. *HUG*
    My last message to you ~

You're right. You are a monster! You are sick! Get help!

At least, I am not a fuck-up! A lying fuck-up!
  • Sorry to hear that Joe. Thoughts with you and your family.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • What a way to go. In bed and with a family that was just there.

By your post it seemed almost to me, a joyous event. That is to say, that you weren't mourning rather reflecting those most treasured keepsake moments. Celebrating what a man your father was.

Still, I'm sorry for your loss.
  • Good luck with everything. I cant imagine losing my father.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • PRL1JAMPRL1JAM Posts: 787
    so sorry Joe to hear about your dad's passing. My prayers are with you and your family tonight.
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    :(
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,412
    Thoughts & prayers are with you & your family, Joe.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • :( I am so sorry Joe, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    Thanks for the kind words. it was a joyous event, but I do realize that mournful times are sure to follow.

In a weird way, i believe that PJ20 last weekend was a gift from my dad. He lived long enough so that we could attend the show before he left us soon after. We were lucky enough to hit the front row lottery, and the wife and I were fortunate to meet Ed backstage on Sunday. Thanks, dad!
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Thanks for the kind words. it was a joyous event, but I do realize that mournful times are sure to follow.

In a weird way, i believe that PJ20 last weekend was a gift from my dad. He lived long enough so that we could attend the show before he left us soon after. We were lucky enough to hit the front row lottery, and the wife and I were fortunate to meet Ed backstage on Sunday. Thanks, dad!

:clap:
  • JOEJOEJOE wrote:

Wow, that was definitely a gift from the universe for sure!

I really feel for you, I know too well what it's like....if I could take the pain of this from you I would.
  • RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    My thoughts and prayers are with you my friend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLCrYxlGzSU&feature=feedf
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10
  • I'm very sorry to read this; I hope you seek peace in the support given to you and the memories you have. My thoughts are with you and your family.
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    RYEzupSF wrote:
    My thoughts and prayers are with you my friend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLCrYxlGzSU&feature=feedf

Thanks for the link!

I Played the Vault #1 version of "Release", and straight away, I wept!
  • wow! SO sorry to hear this.. my prayers and those of my family are with you for sure! But you're very lucky to have such a great family to fall back on.. Again you all are in our prayers..
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    So sorry to hear this Joe. My thoughts are with you and your family.
  • Hey,

I know how much your dad meant to you and for him to pas with such grace was a Mitzvah...

I an so glad he got to see you as happy as you have been

I hope this time passes easy
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    Thoughts are with you

R.I.P
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • So sorry for your loss Joe. Sounds like you and your dad had an amazing relationship and that never goes away. My thoughts are with you and your family.
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,816
    sorry for your loss man :( . my dad passed away when i was kid. We actually had the funeral on my birthday
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    You are blessed to have a wonderful father who will be with you in spirit as I have had mine
    these past 21 years.

Loving thoughts and prayers to you and yours
  • afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    So sorry to hear about your loss.
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    doveiv.jpg

In each incarnation we weave or unravel a few more stitches in the garment of life. At a certain point, one has finished and can go home. Rabbi...J. Omer

My condolences to you and your family....I'm just very happy for you and your family that your Dad was able to pass on at home while your family was there....stay strong my friend and may your father Rest In Peace.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)