Options

Outrageous!! Check out local radio contest for 6/16 Columbia tickets

2»

Comments

• Options
    in_hiding79in_hiding79 Posts: 4,315
    over_bends wrote:
    If the girls don't feel sorry for themselves, then we shouldn't either.

well put....:)
    And so the lion fell in love with the lamb...,"
    "What a stupid lamb."
    "What a sick, masochistic lion."
  • Options
    I really don't understand why you are so pissed? :confused:

Linking PJ to it? they are giving away radio stations PJ tkts (all radio stations have them) ... a radio station tkt giveaway in no way links the band (any band) to the terms of their contest...

and guess what? when you are handicapped and on a wheelchair when radio stations give tkts away you dont have a chance either, well you do but then what the heck do you do with mid-row tkts on a wheelchair?

Men have always categorize girls deciphering "hot or not"!!!
    And the truth is, that if you are talking about appearances there are girls that are hot and there are girls that are definately NOT!

I think you are overreacting! :rolleyes:

i figured someone would say that. and i doubt anyone in a wheelchair will even win this. it will most likely be the girl who looks the least handicapped. its an unfair advantage for some. (thats just what i think) but the whole contest is wrong on many, many levels. i agree with King47 when he says:
    KING47 wrote:
    I feel that this is far too "touchy" of a subject for a radio station to deem weather a person is "hot" or not - or- "handicapped" or not. For the lucky one that does receive the tickets congrats, but I feel sorry for the ones that now may feel inadequate in their looks in addition to any pre-existing condition.
    "The love received is the love that is saved." -E.Vedder
  • Options
    Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    No one's mentioned the blatant sexism of the contest yet? :rolleyes:

do you call or write to bitch about every contest were only hot girls are eligible?

What surprises me here is that this only has gotten a rise outta you guys because there are peal jam tkts involved....

I don't see that many threads on the Moving Train about all the sexist contests radio stations have on the daily basis......

So I guess the question really is is this bothering all of you guys because of the sexist, discriminatory nature of it OR is this really bothering you because PJ tkts are involved?

Let say this..... since I have somewhat changed my mind after seeing these people's myspace...

I dont think the contest has a discriminatory nature, BUT seeing the type of show these guys run and the clips they have on their page I'm expecting for them to try and humiliate the people that participate (now shame on the participants as well if they want to subject themselves to that) in this contest.... if their whole purpose is have a morning show having a laugh at the participants that would be pretty sad and mean... (i'm only assuming though that's what they are doing) ....

So depending on their intentions I would say this is a pretty shitty contest NOT BECAUSE they are offering tkts to handicapped because now seeing the nature of the show, no matter who'd yhey offer the tkts to it seems like they would make fun of anyone regardless....

BUT the one thing I haven't changed my mind on is TO HAVE A CONTEST LIKE THIS YOU ALSO NEED PARTICIPANTS WILLING TO DO IT!
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options
    tdubtdub Posts: 226
    My guess is that since 10c has all the good seats, that local radio stations couldn't get their hands on anything but the handicap reserved spots on he back/side of the floor.

...thus, the contest.

just a guess.
  • Options
    InHiding19InHiding19 Posts: 2,385
    I think this is pretty rediculous and uncalled for.....just my opinion
    Out of the Blue and Into the Black................Uncle Neil Philly 08 here I come!!!!
  • Options
    do you call or write to bitch about every contest were only hot girls are eligible?

What surprises me here is that this only has gotten a rise outta you guys because there are peal jam tkts involved....

I don't see that many threads on the Moving Train about all the sexist contests radio stations have on the daily basis......

So I guess the question really is is this bothering all of you guys because of the sexist, discriminatory nature of it OR is this really bothering you because PJ tkts are involved?

Let say this..... since I have somewhat changed my mind after seeing these people's myspace...

I dont think the contest has a discriminatory nature, BUT seeing the type of show these guys run and the clips they have on their page I'm expecting for them to try and humiliate the people that participate (now shame on the participants as well if they want to subject themselves to that) in this contest.... if their whole purpose is have a morning show having a laugh at the participants that would be pretty sad and mean... (i'm only assuming though that's what they are doing) ....

So depending on their intentions I would say this is a pretty shitty contest NOT BECAUSE they are offering tkts to handicapped because now seeing the nature of the show, no matter who'd yhey offer the tkts to it seems like they would make fun of anyone regardless....

BUT the one thing I haven't changed my mind on is TO HAVE A CONTEST LIKE THIS YOU ALSO NEED PARTICIPANTS WILLING TO DO IT!

Um... my post was tongue in cheek. :p
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    Um... my post was tongue in cheek. :p

:D I was so busy making my point that I didnt see the question mark and rolling eyes face at the end of your post :D
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Not sure if its been said yet but the radio station is clearly making fun of PJ for all of the causes they donate money to. They're giving away tickets to handicapped chicks as if its something PJ would do for a cause. personally I think its fucked up and I hope someone from10C contacts them.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    emeraldkityemeraldkity Posts: 370
    I guess I don't pay attention to Howard Stern- to know if this is something he would do-
    but I agree that to ask attractive girls to send their pictures into the radio station for a couple knuckle draggers to drool over , seems self serving and not a stunt that is going to win them points with the band.

they go for the cheap laugh I see
    You must be the change you want to see in the world
    -Gandhi
  • Options
    King47King47 Posts: 23

This is not a hot or not site, it is a Pearl Jam site, so anything pretaining to PJ is relevant. If someone took the time to bitch about all the sexist bullshit on the web then fine, but as long as they are not using Pearl jam to promote then it would not an issue for the Pearl Jam message Pit....?
    FREE THE WEST MEMPHIS THREE! www.wm3.org
  • Options
    :D I was so busy making my point that I didnt see the question mark and rolling eyes face at the end of your post :D

I eagerly await the "Driest Joke" competition that the station's running next. ;)
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    King47King47 Posts: 23
    Oh, okay, so that makes it right.

My panties aren't in a bunch. I'm just offering my opinion. I think it's wrong, but I'm certainly not overly concerned about it. Plus, it's in uhhh...the South, so who even gives a shit :D:D:D
    Since the panties aren't in a bunch maybe you could enter... if ignorance is a "handicap":D, why must we battle over this north south thing when we should be trying to eliminate differences and unite. I think that a huge problem Americans are now facing is the fact that no one really sems to be "overly concerned" about much of anything. But I am now getting off the original pont and my soapbox... maybe I can find a thread about posters.. or more seriously, one about people excited about Pearl Jam's summer tour!!!! Kepp on Rockin' be it North, South, East, West and all points in between!
    FREE THE WEST MEMPHIS THREE! www.wm3.org
  • Options
    mehitabelmehitabel Posts: 14
    I whole heartedly support the absolute right of every person to be an ass in whatever manner suits him/her best. That doesn’t mean that I need to be OK with every dumb ass thing done by every dumb ass out there.

Yeah, we’re all going to categorize every one we see rich/poor, hot/fugly but most of us don’t go around giving lollipops only to the cute ones. We, as a society, would be a lot healthier if we would stop letting it be OK to hand out free passes –for the beautiful only. Pretty damned sure the band would be against it.

Maybe they can give tickets to some 9 yr old (hell, anyone) who manages to brush his teeth after every meal for a week.

NEXT WEEK! AAAAAAHHHHHHHH!
  • Options
    CrazyMollyCrazyMolly Posts: 24
    tdub wrote:
    My guess is that since 10c has all the good seats, that local radio stations couldn't get their hands on anything but the handicap reserved spots on he back/side of the floor.

...thus, the contest.

just a guess.

Fucking Hilarious!
    Eddie Vedder (Berkeley1) 4/7/08
    Eddie Vedder (Santa Cruz) 4/5/08
    Bridge School 10/21/06
    SF3 07/18/06
    SF2 07/16/06
    LA2 07/10/06
  • Options
    http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a272/mistdragon47/trg.jpg

Greenville's local radio station is holding a contest for free PJ tickets to the Columbia show. See the link above for the "official" advertisement where they promote the contest next to a picture of Pearl Jam, as if this were somehow approved by the band. Here are the rules from the Myspace Bulletin board:

""WE'RE LOOKING FOR THE HOTTEST HANDICAPPED GIRL

In the latest installment of our HOTTEST contests, we have announced our latest - THE HOTTEST HANDICAPPED GIRL! Are you handicapped? Do you think you're hot? Then we want you! And if you win you'll get tickets to see PEARL JAM on June 16th in Columbia. If you want to participate and can be in studio on Friday JUNE 14th, please email us your name, a current photo, your handicap, and your daytime number to TheRiseGuys@aol.com ASAP!

Tickle it guys!
    Skip & Matt""

>>>>I think this is so wrong in so many ways, and this doesn't seem to me like a message Pearl Jam would want to be associated with. What gives these guys the right to tie PJ to such a superficial and discriminating contest? Shame on THE RISE GUYS!

they're southerners. it's not their fault they don't know any better.
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    just for this stunt,

they'll get a 1 off Sleater Kinney appearance and they will perform " Leaving Here " 28 times in a row
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    hobbes wrote:

Mildly Offensive Stereotyping: Humour to make you Hee-Haw! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Mildly Offensive Stereotyping: Humour to make you Hee-Haw! :rolleyes:

i know. but it's funny anyway. it's just so easy. kind of like making fun of the welsh.

but really i do love the south and southerners (and i'm probably going to end up marrying one). i've spent quite a bit of time out there.
  • Options
    They should get a good parking spot also.
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    They should get a good parking spot also.

Oh god...
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    MudfestMudfest Posts: 1,015
    hobbes wrote:

Revised ... "play the south thread..."

I guess this answers lots of questions...

M
    ===
    "OH Canada...You are so Beautiful when you are Drunk." Eddie
    1993-08-14 Gimli Mb Motorsport Park
    03-05-30 Vanc;05-09-08 Wpg
    05-09-07 Sask Sk;05-09-04 Calg
    05-09-05 Edm Alb;05-09-02 Vanc
    06-07-02/ 03 Denver 1 + 2;06-10-21/22 Bridge 1 +2
    4/3 + 4/2/08 Vanc Vedder ; 6/24+25 MSG /Toronto 09/buffalo 10/EV Chic 1-2
  • Options
    edvedderrocksedvedderrocks Posts: 1,001
    Even if the radio station doesn't intend it to be a joke (which I would find hard to believe) many people find making fun of handicapped people funny. That's sad. We're not talking about a person with a broken leg. We are talking about physically and/or mentally handicapped people who are born this way. Having a handicapped brother, I have been to many events & a lot of those girls want nothing more than for someone to think they are pretty & special. The way they would perceive this contest if they entered it would be MUCH different than the ignorant people who watch it. (and make fun of it).

Listen to Howard Stern. Whoever thinks his bits making fun of the handicapped people have no idea what it is like to see someone making fun of someone else who has the same problems as a very important person in your life that can't do anything to change the way they are.

Sorry to rant, this is a very sensitive subject with me... some of the comments on this thread make me sad. I'm sure pearl jam has no idea of the contest.

BTW - my brother took home 2 gold medals & 1 silver. Couldn't be prouder!
    "I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me. Guaranteed."

1996 Merriweather, MD; 1998 Camden, NJ; 2000 Camden, NJ; 2003 Camden, NJ; 2005 Philly, PA; 2006 Camden, NJ(nights 1 & 2); 2006 Arnhem, NED; 2008 Camden, NJ(nights 1 & 2), Washington DC, MSG(night 2) 2009 Philly Spectrum Shows(nights 1,2,3,4) 2010 Hartford,CT and MSG(night 2)

ED Solo - 2008 Washington DC, 2009 Philly, PA(nights 1&2)*Met Eddie =)
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    Even if the radio station doesn't intend it to be a joke (which I would find hard to believe) many people find making fun of handicapped people funny. That's sad. We're not talking about a person with a broken leg. We are talking about physically and/or mentally handicapped people who are born this way. Having a handicapped brother, I have been to many events & a lot of those girls want nothing more than for someone to think they are pretty & special. The way they would perceive this contest if they entered it would be MUCH different than the ignorant people who watch it. (and make fun of it).

Listen to Howard Stern. Whoever thinks his bits making fun of the handicapped people have no idea what it is like to see someone making fun of someone else who has the same problems as a very important person in your life that can't do anything to change the way they are.

Sorry to rant, this is a very sensitive subject with me... some of the comments on this thread make me sad. I'm sure pearl jam has no idea of the contest.

Good for your bro! That rules!

and you are totally right... people just never get it unless they experience it first hand
  • Options
    edvedderrocksedvedderrocks Posts: 1,001
    thanks
    "I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me. Guaranteed."

1996 Merriweather, MD; 1998 Camden, NJ; 2000 Camden, NJ; 2003 Camden, NJ; 2005 Philly, PA; 2006 Camden, NJ(nights 1 & 2); 2006 Arnhem, NED; 2008 Camden, NJ(nights 1 & 2), Washington DC, MSG(night 2) 2009 Philly Spectrum Shows(nights 1,2,3,4) 2010 Hartford,CT and MSG(night 2)

ED Solo - 2008 Washington DC, 2009 Philly, PA(nights 1&2)*Met Eddie =)
  • Options

i got to experience being a wheelchair for two hours during a disabled people and the law seminar. we had to go all over the campus i was at to see what it was really like to be try to use "wheelchair accessible" stuff on campus (you'd be amazed how much of a bitch some stuff is. it was hard to get around. i was tired. people treated us like we were aliens.) needless to say it was something i will never forget and really changed my perception how easy it really is for those of us who don't have to use them.
  • Options
    thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    it's a blatant rip off of Howard Stern too