Options

Outrageous!! Check out local radio contest for 6/16 Columbia tickets

mistdragon78mistdragon78 Posts: 6
edited June 2008 in The Porch
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a272/mistdragon47/trg.jpg

Greenville's local radio station is holding a contest for free PJ tickets to the Columbia show. See the link above for the "official" advertisement where they promote the contest next to a picture of Pearl Jam, as if this were somehow approved by the band. Here are the rules from the Myspace Bulletin board:

""WE'RE LOOKING FOR THE HOTTEST HANDICAPPED GIRL

In the latest installment of our HOTTEST contests, we have announced our latest - THE HOTTEST HANDICAPPED GIRL! Are you handicapped? Do you think you're hot? Then we want you! And if you win you'll get tickets to see PEARL JAM on June 16th in Columbia. If you want to participate and can be in studio on Friday JUNE 14th, please email us your name, a current photo, your handicap, and your daytime number to TheRiseGuys@aol.com ASAP!

Tickle it guys!
Skip & Matt""

>>>>I think this is so wrong in so many ways, and this doesn't seem to me like a message Pearl Jam would want to be associated with. What gives these guys the right to tie PJ to such a superficial and discriminating contest? Shame on THE RISE GUYS!
"The love received is the love that is saved." -E.Vedder
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,899
    I'm sorry but I find this to be funny. They're just taking a page out of Howard Stern's book.
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    AtlantaJammerAtlantaJammer Posts: 2,611
    http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a272/mistdragon47/trg.jpg

Greenville's local radio station is holding an unorthodox contest for free PJ tickets to the Columbia show. See the link above for the "official" advertisement where they promote the contest next to a picture of Pearl Jam, as if this were somehow approved by the band. Here are the rules from the Myspace Bulletin board:

""WE'RE LOOKING FOR THE HOTTEST HANDICAPPED GIRL

In the latest installment of our HOTTEST contests, we have announced our latest - THE HOTTEST HANDICAPPED GIRL! Are you handicapped? Do you think you're hot? Then we want you! And if you win you'll get tickets to see PEARL JAM on June 16th in Columbia. If you want to participate and can be in studio on Friday JUNE 14th, please email us your name, a current photo, your handicap, and your daytime number to TheRiseGuys@aol.com ASAP!

Tickle it guys!
    Skip & Matt""

>>>>I think this is so wrong in so many ways, and this doesn't seem to me like a message Pearl Jam would want to be associated with. What gives these guys the right to tie PJ to such a superficial and discriminating contest? Shame on THE RISE GUYS!

Its not wrong if the girls "volunteer". Just my opinion.
  • Options
    um yeah, that's a bit weird...
  • Options
    covered in blisscovered in bliss chi-caw-go Posts: 1,330

I agree with this. If a girl wants to do it, who are you to say that she is wrong and that the contest is outrageous? If I was handicapped, I would be all over this opportunity.

Meh.
  • Options
    Notch89Notch89 Posts: 71
    From someone who is handicapped, and have had to use a wheelchair for the last 19 years. I see nothing wrong with this at all, as long as it's done tastefully and the girls openly volunteer.
  • Options
    pateljampateljam Posts: 340
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    I'm sorry but I find this to be funny. They're just taking a page out of Howard Stern's book.

Yep just a Stern rip off....

but its damn funny.

Please it won't be tasteful at all thats what will make it funny.
    2000-10-28 San Bernardino
    2003-06-02 Irvine
    2003-10-26 Mountain View-Bridge School
    2006-07-09 Los Angeles
    2006-07-10 Los Angeles
    2006-10-22 Mountain View- Bridge School
    2008-07-19 UCLA-Who Rock Honors
    2009-10-1 Los Angeles-2
    2009-10-9 San Diego
  • Options
    covered in blisscovered in bliss chi-caw-go Posts: 1,330
    Maybe the radio station is trying to find a date for the brave soldier that PJ honored at Lollapalooza last year. Pardon me but I don't remember his name.

The radio station is using PJ as bait! He's golden!
  • Options
    over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
    If the girls don't feel sorry for themselves, then we shouldn't either.
    Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

• Options
    I agree with this. If a girl wants to do it, who are you to say that she is wrong and that the contest is outrageous? If I was handicapped, I would be all over this opportunity.

Meh.

I'm not saying the girl would be wrong, I just don't think the band would support such a contest.
  • Options
    Eliot RosewaterEliot Rosewater Posts: 2,684
    Uhhh...yeah, it is. If they're mentally "handicapped" then they're not really in the frame of mind to make decisions such as this, right? This is just sad. Another reason to NOT listen to the shitty radio or watch the shitty TV. Media = shit.

period.
  • Options
    washedinblack91washedinblack91 Posts: 3,078
    Uhhh...yeah, it is. If they're mentally "handicapped" then they're not really in the frame of mind to make decisions such as this, right? This is just sad. Another reason to NOT listen to the shitty radio or watch the shitty TV. Media = shit.

period.

wow, uptight much :D

it's a silly contest. its not like they want to do a contest thats like RETARD WITH THE LOWEST IQ GETS TICKETS! people need to lighten up. so handicapped people get a chance to score tickets, what's wrong with that? if i was handicapped i'd be all up in this!
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
    eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
    SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!
  • Options
    AtlantaJammerAtlantaJammer Posts: 2,611

period.

It makes them feel happy... Moreover, IMPORTANT. If the radio station is using the contest to straight up make fun of handicapped people, then, yes its wrong. But who does that?
  • Options
    King47King47 Posts: 23
    I agree 100%! Who gives these obvious coat-tail riding hacks the right to post a picture of the band promoting a contest such as this? If you want to give tickets away then do just that, but let's not catagorize a select group of people,and don't use Pearl Jam's image in the advertisement. I think a few may be getting away from the point that there is nothing at all wrong with the participants voluntering, but the promotion itself. I stand behind the outrage having gone from not being able to move, then to a wheeelchair, then a walker, then crutches, now a cane which hopefully will soon be also a thing of the past. I feel that this is far too "touchy" of a subject for a radio station to deem weather a person is "hot" or not - or- "handicapped" or not. For the lucky one that does receive the tickets congrats, but I feel sorry for the ones that now may feel inadequate in their looks in addition to any pre-existing condition.
    FREE THE WEST MEMPHIS THREE! www.wm3.org
  • Options
    MudfestMudfest Posts: 1,015
    I dont think 10C or the band would approve ?

I bet this ends soon ...the pic with the "contest" seems to violate a TM ?
    I am sure legally this wont last

Eddie has supported Bridge school for the last decade and I am sure would not find this funny.
    (I am sure Uncle Neil would feel the same)

M
    ===
    "OH Canada...You are so Beautiful when you are Drunk." Eddie
    1993-08-14 Gimli Mb Motorsport Park
    03-05-30 Vanc;05-09-08 Wpg
    05-09-07 Sask Sk;05-09-04 Calg
    05-09-05 Edm Alb;05-09-02 Vanc
    06-07-02/ 03 Denver 1 + 2;06-10-21/22 Bridge 1 +2
    4/3 + 4/2/08 Vanc Vedder ; 6/24+25 MSG /Toronto 09/buffalo 10/EV Chic 1-2
  • Options
    King47King47 Posts: 23
    Mudfest wrote:

Eddie has supported Bridge school for the last decade and I am sure would not find this funny.

M
    Exactly !! Just the point I was trying to make. I can only hope that someone on the legal department reads this.
    FREE THE WEST MEMPHIS THREE! www.wm3.org
  • Options
    gettingrightgettingright Posts: 550
    this contest is wrong on so many levels it is difficult to even comment on it, but i did not want to say nothing, either.

the only way this contest could even be close to okay is if the people holding the contest are all handicapped themselves.

saying that if a woman chooses to participate, then there is nothing wrong is being overly deterministic.

perhaps we should not assert that the participation of people in a contest legitimizes it, but question why a contest like this even exists for people to participate in.
    "...what a different life had i not found this love with you..."
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    Why does EVERYONE copy Howard Stern...

This is stupid and both very tasteless but hey... some girl is gonna be one lucky lady...
  • Options
    It's also wrong IMO because they're rewarding people for looks. I wouldn't agree with it even if it were the hottest non-handicapped girl getting tickets.
  • Options
    Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    I'm not saying the girl would be wrong, just that the rise guys link PJ to it. I don't think the band would support such a contest. The hottest girl is a matter of opinion, and if you aren't female + handicapped you don't even have a chance to win. Not to mention that I am appalled to know that men now further categorize women when deciphering 'hot or not'.

I really don't understand why you are so pissed? :confused:

Linking PJ to it? they are giving away radio stations PJ tkts (all radio stations have them) ... a radio station tkt giveaway in no way links the band (any band) to the terms of their contest...

and guess what? when you are handicapped and on a wheelchair when radio stations give tkts away you dont have a chance either, well you do but then what the heck do you do with mid-row tkts on a wheelchair?

Men have always categorize girls deciphering "hot or not"!!!
    And the truth is, that if you are talking about appearances there are girls that are hot and there are girls that are definately NOT!

I think you are overreacting! :rolleyes:
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options
    I guess I need a little clarification. Are they referring to MENTALLY or PHYSICALLY handicapped??
  • Options
    It's also wrong IMO because they're rewarding people for looks. I wouldn't agree with it even if it were the hottest non-handicapped girl getting tickets.

It's a radio contest... why are you people gettin' your panties in a bunch about this?

Let's leave the handicapped part out, and just the hot part in... there is a gazillion contests on TV, radio and etc that reward people for looks, what's the big deal about this one, it bothers you because they are PJ tkts?

What if the radio stations has handicapped seats only, you know those big boxes where you can actually fit a wheelchair?

Unless they are making fun of people who are handicapped in the process then I think you guys need to lighten up!
  • Options
    there is a gazillion contests on TV, radio and etc that reward people for looks
    Oh, okay, so that makes it right.

My panties aren't in a bunch. I'm just offering my opinion. I think it's wrong, but I'm certainly not overly concerned about it. Plus, it's in uhhh...the South, so who even gives a shit :D:D:D
  • Options
    Mudfest wrote:

M

The radio station doesn't need the bands approval to give those tkts away those are tickets given to the radio stations by the concert promoters.
    If anything I guess the band or the 10C could ask for the pic to be taken down at best.

Radio stations have contests with band tkts left and right, I've seen contests for who has the biggest boobs, the hottest looking MILF to win concert tkts...

If there are contest for girl that look hot and no one seems to care why is there a difference in between contests for handicapped girls that look hot? You guys are making it of a discriminatory nature by being so pissed about it... IMO
  • Options
    Oh, okay, so that makes it right.

My panties aren't in a bunch. I'm just offering my opinion. I think it's wrong, but I'm certainly not overly concerned about it. Plus, it's in uhhh...the South, so who even gives a shit :D:D:D

Im not saying it's right.... I don't give a shit either way... to have concerts like that you have to also have people willing to participate...

my point is that if they had offered tkt to the hottest looking cowgirl this probably wouldn't even made it to the pit, BUT because they are offering it to handicapped girls then it does.... sometimes people themselves by being so pissed at stuff are the ones who give things a discriminatory nature...
  • Options
    BlackCorduroyBlackCorduroy Posts: 1,374
    it does sound pretty fucked up and i agree that PJ wouldn't approve

Do you think it's possible that the station has tickets that are in wheelchair seating? Although it doesn't specify that that has to be your handicap, so I don't know.
  • Options
    Yellow BedwetterYellow Bedwetter NYC Posts: 2,832
    i'm pretty sure the radio station needs permission to use PJ's picture w/smthg like this
    So, if they didn't get permission this contest will be pulled
    But, if they did, then the band knows and the contest is full-on
    2005: Borgata 2, Philly
    2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
    2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
    2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
    2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2
    2012: Made in America
    2013: BK1, BK2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizens
    2016: MSG 2 (ISO MSG1)
    EV Solo: NJPAC 2008; Tower Theatre, PA 2009; Hartford 2011
  • Options
    Is a strong lisp considered handicapped?
  • Options
    I guess I need a little clarification. Are they referring to MENTALLY or PHYSICALLY handicapped??

it doesn't specify. so basically anyone from the mentally retarded to the blind could enter.
  • Options
    No one's mentioned the blatant sexism of the contest yet? :rolleyes:
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    i'm pretty sure the radio station needs permission to use PJ's picture w/smthg like this
    So, if they didn't get permission this contest will be pulled
    But, if they did, then the band knows and the contest is full-on

The one thing I can agree with is that the picture may have been used w/out permission, I don't know exactly know these things work...unless someone works in a radio station and can chime in ...

Im thinking for example Clear Channel who has the control pretty much every freaking venue and radio station in this country, when they give out the tkts to the radio stations for promotional purposes.. is that on the contracts with the bands?

Are the bands signing an agreement with the concert promoters that radio stations can have contests with their tkts and use their likeness?.... Im sure that big tour contracts have A LOT of fine print and clauses that we have no clue about, I have a hard time believing that every radio station including my local radio station whose also giving tkts away take the chance of a lawsuit by using photos with no permission...

and my BIGGEST point here I guess is:

to have contests like this you need people to participate, all you have to do is check this people's myspace page http://www.myspace.com/theriseguys and take from there the type of listeners they have...the only thing I would consider wrong is if they are using this contest as a humiliating tool.... and that would be with anything handicapped or not... if there isn't any humiliation involved I don't see why handicapped people can not have contest were only they qualify ....