Options

Age question

edited June 2008 in The Porch
How old should a child be before going to his first PJ concert? My 11 year old is begging to go.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    scw156scw156 Posts: 442
    this thread is asking for trouble. there was a question like this posted a few month ago and people began arguing about it endlessly.

it all depends on what type of parent you are and if you think your kids are mature enough to handle the possibility of drugs/drunks etc being asses around you

thats all im saying
    The Sentence Below Is True
    The Sentence Above Is False
  • Options
    EBowieEBowie Posts: 529
    Let 'em go!
  • Options
    mattcozeamattcozea Posts: 377
    Obviously it depends on the venue, I mean you wouldn't take your 5 year old to Bonnaroo. I see no problem in taking an 11 year old to an arena show though.
    6-27-98 Alpine Valley
    10-8-00 Alpine Valley
    10-9-00 All State Arena, Chicago
    4-23-03 Assembly Hall, Champaign
    5-16-06 United Center, Chicago
    6-30-06 Marcus Amphitheater, Milwaukee
    8-05-07 Grant Park, Chicago
    8-21-08 EV, Auditorium Theater, Chicago
    8-22-08 EV, Auditorium Theater, Chicago
  • Options
    Vedder1029Vedder1029 Posts: 179
    We just took our son to the Va Beach show and will be at the upcoming DC show.... he's 8 months in utero... :)
    He who forgets, will be destined to remember...
  • Options
    smile05smile05 Posts: 600
    let them go, how fuckin cool would that be the next day at school
    1:Black 2:Corduroy 3:All Those Yesterdays 4:I Got ID 5:Smile

They can buy but cant put on my clothes
    Throw down my ace in the hole~~~~~~

Let's go for three in a row, no sorry i can't think of anything thats not funny. - Paul Merton

London96,Manchester00,Berlin06,London07
  • Options
    I_Got_ShitI_Got_Shit Posts: 325
    My dad took me to my first concert when I was 10 (Pink Floyd, Foxboro Stadium, Division Bell Tour 1994). It was amazing and really cemented my love of music.

I just wish I could remember it better, 14 years later. I was pretty stoned though.
    *Does not include encore of Garden and Leash.
  • Options
    TangerineTangerine Posts: 880
    Bring him/her! You're bound to run into at least a couple of people that have had too much of whatever they're doing (just steer clear of 'em) and you'll most likely at least smell smoke while your there (not much you can do about that) and Ed swears (how many 11 year olds haven't heard people swear before?). I think 11 is old enough for a first concert as long as they're prepared for the noise (bring earplugs!!!!) and you're prepared to have the whole drug/drunk discussion with them.

We brought our son to his first concert (Chris Cornell) when he had just turned 12 and he's been to 4 more since then (Muse, Video Games Live, Foo Fighters and REM), June 30th will be his 6th show (1st PJ show :D) and he loves going. We've never had any problems bringing him with us. I think taking him to live shows has increased his love of music, he can't go anywhere without his ipod and he listens to a huge range of music from classical, techno, classic rock, rock, hip hop (really just the Gorillaz).

Be smart, talk to them about what they may see/hear/smell before you go, obviously stay with them at all times (ie. don't let them go to the restroom by themselves...outside of a concert you'd be fine letting an 11 y/o go in alone but there are wierd/messed up people at concerts) and please, please, please bring good earplugs.
    2006: Boston I, Camden II
    2007: Chicago
    2008: Hartford, Mansfield I & II, EV Boston
    2009: Philly III & IV
    2010: Boston
    2011: PJ20
    2012: Philly
    2013: Worcester I & II, Brooklyn I & II
  • Options
    Screw the kid- Bring me!!!!
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,508
    don't be like my 'rents.

i wanted to go to a pj show when i was 13.
    didn't get to til i was 19

6 fucking wasted years.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options
    jmccue7jmccue7 Posts: 119
    take the kid
    Merriweather '00
    East Troy '03
    Boston I '04
    Pittsburgh '06
    Lollapalooza '07
    DC '08
    MSG I & II '08
  • Options
    luvisatowerluvisatower Posts: 1,078
    i took my daughter to Lolla last year for her first PJ show when she was 10. I would've taken her before then if there had been an outdoor show within driving distance of chicago in 05 or 06. she's a little claustrophobic in big, indoor crowds.
    it really does depend on the child.
    she was on the rail down mike's side courtesy of some very, very nice fans. she was fine with all the people around and everyone around us was very nice, no one lit up any smoke and they all sort of formed a barrier around her to keep crowd surfers, etc from landing on her head
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Get it now, get enough, before its gone, let's everybody carry on, carry on....
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    www.wishlistfoundation.org
    WE WANT YOU!!!!
    join the street team
    http://wishlistfoundation.fancorps.com

"headphones are highly recommended...." Jeff Ament
  • Options
    Of course she should go.......i only wish my 13 yo girls knew more about PJ than Evenflow (thank you Wii!!!!)

They have no interest, unless Miley Cyrus is making a cameo......
    if hope could grow from dirt like me.....

"well I know for sure that if we met up eye-to-eye....a little wine would bring us closer...you and I"...Pete Townshend
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,265
    My nine-year-old loves Pearl Jam. I asked him if he wanted to come along, and he said he did not think he was "ready for being around a bunch of screaming people who are drinking lots of beer." Maybe next year, he said.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    Lukin66Lukin66 Posts: 3,063
    Take the kid and bring he/she some earplugs. Kids have better hearing than most adults, and you wouldn't want to overwhelm the poor thing.
    deep, deep blue of the morning
    gets to me every time
  • Options
    lowlight10lowlight10 Posts: 619
    please buy some EARPLUGS for your child if you take him/her to a show.
    -

"In your case, I'll check my brain at the door and we'll start even, okay?"

Have you thanked a taper today?
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,253
    I'm bringing my 11 year old niece to DC. It sounds like someone is bringing her 12 year old son, and another person bringing her 15 year old daughter.

In 2006 at E. Rutherford, I took my then 10 year old nephew and 12 year old niece (different niece.) No problems whatsoever. They didn't even need the earplugs, and we were near the front. I had them on hand, and offered them, but they didn't want or need them. People kept mentioning how my nephew didn't move much. My brother said he's just sedate. People notice the kids, and seem genuinely cool to see them.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    I_Got_ShitI_Got_Shit Posts: 325
    Of course she should go.......i only wish my 13 yo girls knew more about PJ than Evenflow

Was that a menstruation joke?
    *Does not include encore of Garden and Leash.
  • Options
    I was almost ten when I went to my first concert. It was the Rolling Stones Voodoo Lounge Tour with the Counting Crows as the opening band. I will never forget the rush of the music and the crowd. I think it shaped my view of live music, which is the best way to experience music anyway. Let them go...and it's Pearl Jam! Your kid has awesome taste in music!
    "...thoughts arrive like butterflies..."
  • Options
    guacamolejoeguacamolejoe Posts: 2,396
    What better supervision than his parents. Not only will he or she have the time of their life but you'll have a memory you'll never forget as well.
    So, What you Giving ?........ (Thanks Speedy, Alesek, & Arq+friends)
    What You Giving

I suggest you step out on your Porch.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh, See the World!
  • Options
    Given to...Given to... Wyoming Posts: 4,977
    Take em!

My kids have each been to 3 PJ shows. My son is 16 and my girl is 12. They enjoy it almost as much as I do. It scares me, but they both like to get up front at alot of the WARPEd tour shows. PJ is fairly tame compared to what there once was and what there is now that tries to push the exteme.

I'd never let them go to any country act though!!!
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • Options
    riffrandallriffrandall Posts: 685
    I took my 10 year old to see Uncle Neil last December (with earplugs). I did it mainly because I didn't want her first concert to be something shitty, like Hannah Montana.

If she expressed any interest whatsoever in seeing PJ I would take her in a second, but since she's been overloaded her whole life with it in the car and at home, I'm guessing it won't be this tour.

The only reason I'd hesitate at all in taking a child to a concert is because they don't have the worlds longest attention spans and it might frustrate you if you actually want to watch the show. Other than that, I say take 'em.
    "If you're looking for someone to pull you out of that ditch, you're out of luck."
  • Options
    pjhunz28pjhunz28 Posts: 206
    i think 11 is a good age. my son went to his 1st concert at 12. he's going to his 1st PJ show on the 30th :) my 4 year old wants to go but that sure isnt gonna happen. ;)
    9/26/96, 9/15/98, 8/29/00, 7/2/03, 9/28/04, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 7/23/06, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08
    EV
    Boston 1
  • Options
    moses562moses562 Posts: 1,382
    Just inform them of the possibilities... there may be drunk people, there may be a funny smell in the air... etc.

Also, set your expectations before the concert begins. Do you want them to stay with you at all times?

If you give them a heads up of all of this, then I would think you should be good to go.
    "A man has the right to be as big as he feels it in him to be." Ken Kesey
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,253
    With my niece and nephew I decided we would go to the entire shows so that they could experience an entire concert, and have a shot at posters if they want them. Those shows included the opening acts.

For this DC show, we're just going to the PJ part. Her mom was more comfortable with that idea due to the length of the concert.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    jordn6971jordn6971 Posts: 675
    I went to my first show at 11, and now my life has been taken over.....
    "There was a band playing in my head, and I felt like getting high"
  • Options
    meisteredermeistereder Posts: 1,555
    11 is not all that young. He may even be sexually active already, the way kids are nowadays.
    San Diego 10/25/00, Mountain View 6/1/03, Santa Barbara 10/28/03, Northwest School 3/18/05, San Diego 7/7/06, Los Angeles 7/9/06, 7/10/06, Honolulu (U2) 12/9/06, Santa Barbara (EV) 4/10/08, Los Angeles (EV) 4/12/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield 6/28/08, VH1 Rock Honors The Who 7/12/08, Seattle 9/21/09, Universal City 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, San Diego 10/9/09, Los Angeles (EV) 7/8/11, Santa Barbara (EV) 7/9/11, Chicago 7/19/13, San Diego 11/21/13, Los Angeles 11/23/13, 11/24/13, Oakland 11/26/13, Chicago 8/22/16, Missoula 8/13/18, Boston 9/2/18, Los Angeles 2/25/22 (EV), San Diego 5/3/22, Los Angeles 5/6/22, 5/7/22, Imola 6/25/22, [Los Angeles 5/21/24], [London 6/29/24], [Boston 9/15/24]
  • Options
    FrankBauerFrankBauer Posts: 448
    For those that went to the Tampa show, a dad brought his 3-4 year old daughter and sat probably 10th row center. Ed went nuts, was so happy, grinning ear to ear. Becoming a dad really changed him to a big ol' softie. he gave the daughter something too, couldnt see what it was, and called special attention to them near the end of the concert. you'll will be able to hear it on the boots. it was pretty funny.
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    11 is not all that young. He may even be sexually active already, the way kids are nowadays.

Especially if he's ever visited Neverland Ranch
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    bringing my 14 year old brother, i'm only 20 myself though. not expecting problems...
    PJ: Hartford 6/27/08 Mansfield 6/30/08 Philly 3 Oct. 30 2009
    Philly 4 Oct. 31 2009 Hartford May 2010 Boston May 2010 MSG 1 May 2010
    EV: Albany 1 and 2 June 2009 Providence June 15 2011 Hartford June 18 2011
  • Options
    I went to my first concert at 13 and never once felt out of place or too young to be there.

However, at Bonnaroo I saw a kid who couldn't have been more than 10 holding his dad's cigarette for him while his dad took a hit from a bowl that was being passed around. Don't be those parents. . .