Options

Lost 9 friends they'll never know 8 years ago today...

Comments

• Options
    spearheadspearhead Posts: 600
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOCODE#1
    yea i get all teary about people i never met like when celebs die, ya didnt know them get over it.

I gotta say that I agree with this. No reason to get all depressed over this. It really doesn't hit home, I think you are exaggerating a little bit.
    >>>>>>>>>>>

I figured that sooner or later somebody would say something like this ...
    Here's why it matters ... have YOU ever been to a Pearl Jam concert?
    Then we could possibly be remembering YOU today, or ME.
    These were people, real people just like you and me who loved Pearl Jam.
    They were probably having the time of their life, and suddenly they're dead.
    Tell their family to get over it. Tell them they're exaggerating a little bit.
    I was alone and far away when I heard the band start playing!

...I was always a DeadHead, but when I first heard Winston Rodney, aka the Burning Spear, sing, I became a SpearHead too!
  • Options
    JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,257
    I gotta say that I agree with this. No reason to get all depressed over this. It really doesn't hit home, I think you are exaggerating a little bit.

Trying to the the "Ultimate" PJ fan..

uhm, respecting 9 innocent lives lost at a concert is not "getting all depressed". they went to a show and died. its happened before in history at gigs/sports events/entertainment shows of all sorts....and will eventually happen again.

whos to say it wont be you or someone you know? or that it wasnt someone any of us knew? or that i knew? mind you manners

RIP
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    this was sad to hear the time it happened and it's still a bummer today

going to see PJ is such an ultimate high and makes me feel so great to be living life, to think that the complete opposite could happen is hard to wrap my mind around
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    cutback wrote:
    think ed will do 'arc' tonight?

I actually think Off He Goes will be played as a tribute.
  • Options
    i can't believe it's been 8 years. I remember I was going to the racetrack with my dad and he told me about it, and I was so upset he thought we should go home. What a terrible waste. In tororonto '03, it was around the anniversary and ed added "anthony can you see us now" to release. I almost lost it. I cry at everything. I cried at Wall E last night.
    I like bands.
  • Options
    you areyou are Posts: 1,651
    JordyWordy wrote:
    uhm, respecting 9 innocent lives lost at a concert is not "getting all depressed". they went to a show and died. its happened before in history at gigs/sports events/entertainment shows of all sorts....and will eventually happen again.

whos to say it wont be you or someone you know? or that it wasnt someone any of us knew? or that i knew? mind you manners

RIP

exactly! i didn't know them, but just saying that we remember the tragedy is not 'getting all depressed.' if you don't like it, then don't read the thread. that's not asking too much is it?

R.I.P.
    No need to be void, or save up on life...
    You got to spend it all
  • Options
    mnpjgrrlmnpjgrrl Posts: 38
    I think of this date every year even though I wasn't there... I have some weird connections with dates related to the tragedy.

June 30th, 1998 was my first PJ concert, exactly 2 years before PJ's concert at Roskilde.

After the tragedy, Pearl Jam got support from Pete Townshend because of 11 people who died at The Who's December 3rd, 1979 concert. December 3rd, 1979??? That was the day of my birth.

So... thinking of all of them and hope they are resting in peace.
  • Options

Trying to the the "Ultimate" PJ fan..

Come on, man.

First of all, you're telling people how to feel. Don't do that. Never do that. You don't have to get teary eyed about something, but you're in no position to call someone's emotion forced because you don't share it. Your "trying to be the 'ultimate' fan" really irks me though. What does that even me? People are faking sadness over fellow Pearl Jam fans dying at a Pearl Jam concert because it gives them Pearl Jam fandom credibility points? Do you realize how absurd that sounds? I can see no possible way that you were around back then to go through this event and make a comment like this, so I'll chalk it up to you just not understanding it.

And these aren't celebrities. These are real people. These were people with lives who died at the one place that all of us consider our comfort-zone, our sanctuary, the one place where our problems are supposed to be left elsewhere. Shit...
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
    there is some solace in knowing/hoping they are all in a wayyy better place right now
  • Options
    Rest in Peace.
    "...Never take it seriously. You never take it seriously, you never get hurt; you never get hurt, you always fun; and if you ever get lonely, just go to the record store, and visit your friends."
  • Options
    WhyNotSwedenWhyNotSweden Sweden Posts: 4,272
    3 danish - 17, 17 and 22 years,
    3 swedish - 20, 22 and 22 years,
    1 german - 26 years,
    1 Netherlands - 23 years,
    1 australier - 24 years.

Ed tryed to get fans to step back, 1,2,3 step back. When that didnt happen he sad- Well, fuck you guys and left the stage.
    -95, Stockholm (MirrorBall Tour)
    -00, Stockholm
    -07, Copenhagen
    -09, Berlin
    -10, Berlin
    -11, East Troy 1+2
    -12, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen, EV London 2
    -13, London, Chicago
    -14, Amsterdam 1+2, Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo
    -16, TOTD San Francisco 1+2
    -17, EV Amsterdam 2+3
    -18, Amsterdam 1+2, London 1+(2), Barcelona, London 2
    -19, EV Brussels

• Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3
  • Options
    angryyoungmanangryyoungman Medford, NY Posts: 1,028
    ironic that i had that interview stone did with integral institute in my email for months and finally listened tonight, and he was talking about it. . .didn't realize this was the day. . .so tragic
    i have wished for so long, how i wish for you today
    JEFFREY ROSS ROGERS 1975-2002

9.10.98 NYC / 8.23.00 JONES BEACH /4.30.03 UNIONDALE / 7.9.03 NYC /5.12.06 ALBANY/ 6.1.06 E.RUTHEFORD/ 6.3.06 E. RUTHEFORD/ CAMDEN 6.19.08/ NYC 6.24.08/ NYC 6.25.08/ HARTFORD 6.27.08/ CHICAGO 8.24.09/ PHILLY 10.31.09/ HARTFORD 5.15.10/ NEWARK 5.18.10/ NYC 5.20.10/ CHICAGO 7.19.13/ BROOKLYN 10.18.13/ BROOKLYN 10.19.13/ HARTFORD 10.25.13/ NYC 9.26.15/ 4.8.16 FT. LAUDERDALE/ 4.9.16 MIAMI / 5.1.16 NYC/ 5.2.16 NYC / 8.5.16 BOSTON / 8.7.16 BOSTON/ 8.20.18 CHICAGO/ 9.2.18 BOSTON/ 9.4.18 BOSTON/ 9.18.21 ASBURY PARK

finally, FUCK TICKETMASTER
  • Options
    UrohawkUrohawk Posts: 77
    spearhead wrote:
    I figured that sooner or later somebody would say something like this ...
    Here's why it matters ... have YOU ever been to a Pearl Jam concert?
    Then we could possibly be remembering YOU today, or ME.
    These were people, real people just like you and me who loved Pearl Jam.

I hope when I die people will remember me for more than being just a PJ fan.

I have never understood this outpouring of emotion for total strangers in an event like this. I am not saying it's bad or wrong...just something I don't understand. If you were at the concert and traumatized by the event or associated with the band I could see the anniversary holding some significance.

I am not belittling the value of human life or the significance of the loss of their respective family members. I think it is normal for all of us to have empathy toward those who have experienced the loss. The event is a sad commentary on human existence. That we can just trample one another like cattle puts into perspective our own self value and brings into question how civilized mankind really is.

I am not sure how being a PJ fan draws you any closer to these individuals or is an anniversary that you would remember. That being said do you sit at home and weep over the 4113 soldiers killed in Iraq? The 69, 185 dead in the Chinese quake? The seven members of the Challenger mission?
    "pearl jam tickets $150 a pair.....
    the pearl jam coloring book....$200
    multi-millionaires singing a song telling me...
    the gas in their tanks...is like money in the bank
    PRICELESS!!!!!!" -SpeedyMcCready...You may be banned but the message lives on!
  • Options
    over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
    Urohawk wrote:

I have never understood this outpouring of emotion for total strangers in an event like this. I am not saying it's bad or wrong...just something I don't understand. If you were at the concert and traumatized by the event or associated with the band I could see the anniversary holding some significance.

I am not belittling the value of human life or the significance of the loss of their respective family members. I think it is normal for all of us to have empathy toward those who have experienced the loss. The event is a sad commentary on human existence. That we can just trample one another like cattle puts into perspective our own self value and brings into question how civilized mankind really is.

I am not sure how being a PJ fan draws you any closer to these individuals or is an anniversary that you would remember. That being said do you sit at home and weep over the 4113 soldiers killed in Iraq? The 69, 185 dead in the Chinese quake? The seven members of the Challenger mission?

If lifelong bonds can be formed through people from sharing a similar interest (in this case Pearl Jam) in life, then why can't this be achieved also in death? Music transcends everything and it really does make you feel closer to someone if you know that they had the same interests, went to the same events, listened to the same music that you did. This type of connection shouldn't be cut off as a result of death, in fact, it may even become stronger as a result of it.

Like an above poster stated, this was an event everyone can relate to. Pearl Jam concerts have been our haven for years, and suddenly in a moment, that was taken away from 9 people, and consequently from us.
    Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

• Options
    MikeLammi23MikeLammi23 Posts: 109
    I can see how this affects people.

The fact that they all died in a moment that meant something to them, doing something they love, is reason enough to send condolences. It's nothing more than a moment of thought for people who could have been you or me (based around this band that we all Love).

I am sure that any one of the people sending a thought through this thread would easily do the same to a war veteran they met, or family/friend of a victim of any other kind. I know I would.

R.I.P. to those 9.
    10c #TBD

"They said timing was everything, made him want to be everywhere,...there's a lot to be said for nowhere."
    "Let them wash away,... all those yesterdays."

09/10/98, 08/23/00, 08/24/00, 08/25/00, 04/30/03, 07/09/03, 07/14/03, 06/01/06, 06/03/06, 06/24/08, 06/25/08
  • Options
    elevation622elevation622 Posts: 926
    Rip
  • Options
    ONCE DEVIDEDONCE DEVIDED Posts: 1,131
    Gone But Never Forgotten
    AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE
  • Options
    spearheadspearhead Posts: 600
    Urohawk wrote:

Yep...you are absolutely right. You don't understand.
    It's cool.
    You don't gave to.
    No hard feelings.
    Do what you want to do .
    That's what I do.
    I was alone and far away when I heard the band start playing!

...I was always a DeadHead, but when I first heard Winston Rodney, aka the Burning Spear, sing, I became a SpearHead too!
  • Options
    puertopacopuertopaco Posts: 46
    3 danish - 17, 17 and 22 years,
    3 swedish - 20, 22 and 22 years,
    1 german - 26 years,
    1 Netherlands - 23 years,
    1 australier - 24 years.

Ed tryed to get fans to step back, 1,2,3 step back. When that didnt happen he sad- Well, fuck you guys and left the stage.

This is totally innacurate. I have the bootleg from the concert and when the crowd doesn't continue to move back to help get the pile of bodies, Ed, horrified, says 'Aw fuck you guys. PLEASE. I really need your help...I don't think we could live knowing that someone got hurt so bad at a show like this. Okay? PLEASE on the count of three will you take three big steps all at once in this area here would you PLEASE PLEASE for me say yes yeah? (crowd says 'YES') PLEASE on the count of three...three steps back PLEASE one-two-three. One take a step back. Two Take a step back. Three. PLEASE. great. better...' That's the last thing he says and he was seen crying on the monitor right after that because they were finally able to start pulling bodies out from the area where the accident happened.

Your quote totally misrepresented him and is completely heartless. Please have some respect for the nine precious lives that were lost and the band, who was deeply affected by this tragedy.
    06/27/98-E.Troy, WI 06/29/98-Chi, IL
    10/08/00-E.Troy, WI 10/09/00-IL 10/01/05-A.C., NJ 10/03/05-Phil., PA
    *05/05/06-Irving Plaza, NY, NY*
    05/12/06-Albany, NY 05/30/06-DC
    06/01/06-NJ 06/03/06-NJ 08/05/07-IL 06/19/08-NJ
    06/20/08-NJ 06/24/08-NY, NY 06/25/08-NY, NY 06/30/08-Mansfield, MA
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    puertopaco wrote:
    This is totally innacurate. I have the bootleg from the concert and when the crowd doesn't continue to move back to help get the pile of bodies, Ed, horrified, says 'Aw fuck you guys. PLEASE. I really need your help...I don't think we could live knowing that someone got hurt so bad at a show like this. Okay? PLEASE on the count of three will you take three big steps all at once in this area here would you PLEASE PLEASE for me say yes yeah? (crowd says 'YES') PLEASE on the count of three...three steps back PLEASE one-two-three. One take a step back. Two Take a step back. Three. PLEASE. great. better...' That's the last thing he says and he was seen crying on the monitor right after that because they were finally able to start pulling bodies out from the area where the accident happened.

Your quote totally misrepresented him and is completely heartless. Please have some respect for the nine precious lives that were lost and the band, who was deeply affected by this tragedy.
    You are absolutely correct.
  • Options
    over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
    puertopaco wrote:

Phew... I didn't know that this is how it all went down. Wow. Just reading this got me shooken up. I can't even imagine.
    Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

• Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    I remember reading about this in the papers.
    R.I.P :(
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    puertopaco wrote:

Can I get a copy of that boot? Or else can you upload it to youtube... it sounds very interesting.
  • Options
    Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    Urohawk wrote:

:confused: As someone else pointed out, when you're a PJ fan... AT a PJ concert... JUST like those kids who died... it certainly brings you closer than a soldier who died at a war which has nothing to do with us... or someone who died in space where we've never been. Hopefully no more BUT it could happen at any concert or sporting event. We've all been to concerts... we all imagine we'll come home from them too.

Also, a lot of the bands music afterwards was obviously influenced by what happened... a lot of the songs we love.

I was asked why the big deal a couple of times last year before the Copenhagen concert... the concert where some families were in attendence. I don't get what's so hard to understand?

RIP :(
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    8 years ago me and my two brothers were close to die in the front rows in front of the Orange Main Stage at Roskilde. Their and especially my favourite band was playing for the first time in front of us - > Pearl Jam

§ Grey, grey, grey, rainy clouds rolling by, lights fading out into eternal life §

It was truly the worst experience in my life, and it will be strange going there for the fifth time tomorrow.

I will personally pass those prayers when I am there in front the Orange Stage.

I guess life goes on,

R.I.P
    Roskilde
    Astoria
    Barcelona
    Bologna
    Verona
    Milano
    Torino
    Berlin
    Athens
    København
    Nijmegen
  • Options
    puertopaco wrote:

Well, why should this be discussed at all?

I was there and both what you two guys say are right. Ed lost it for a moment and said "well fuck you guys" and started to cry and left the stage and one of PJ's bodyguards repeated what Eddie said with the "three steps back". At this moment I had been able to come some feets longer back, and some friends of mine, also injured at the first fence said it was absolutely impossible for them to move three feet back. They tried to sort of put their legs on the fence, stretch their arms and move their backs back, but it was SOOOO over-crowded with people and security was very poor. It rained and was probably 14C so a series of all these things caused the accident

Ed was also seen fly-kicking a water-machine when he went backstage. A truly strange night for Mr. Vedder, being told before going onstage that his friend Chris Cornell had just become a father...
    Roskilde
    Astoria
    Barcelona
    Bologna
    Verona
    Milano
    Torino
    Berlin
    Athens
    København
    Nijmegen
  • Options
    Super VedderSuper Vedder Posts: 1,531
    Can I get a copy of that boot? Or else can you upload it to youtube... it sounds very interesting.

hmmmmmm, yeah it probably is interesting seeing the distress it caused someone! :rolleyes:
    Black, the greatest without a doubt........
  • Options
    Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    Well, why should this be discussed at all?

I was there and both what you two guys say are right. Ed lost it for a moment and said "well fuck you guys" and started to cry and left the stage and one of PJ's bodyguards repeated what Eddie said with the "three steps back". At this moment I had been able to come some feets longer back, and some friends of mine, also injured at the first fence said it was absolutely impossible for them to move three feet back. They tried to sort of put their legs on the fence, stretch their arms and move their backs back, but it was SOOOO over-crowded with people and security was very poor. It rained and was probably 14C so a series of all these things caused the accident

Ed was also seen fly-kicking a water-machine when he went backstage. A truly strange night for Mr. Vedder, being told before going onstage that his friend Chris Cornell had just become a father...
    I'm sorry :( I just can't and don't want to imagine what that must have been like :(
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    I'm sorry :( I just can't and don't want to imagine what that must have been like :(

I guess it was a true hell for Pearl Jam hearing the people in the back singing "Ohhhh, I am still alive"... and people were literally dying in front of them...
    Roskilde
    Astoria
    Barcelona
    Bologna
    Verona
    Milano
    Torino
    Berlin
    Athens
    København
    Nijmegen