Options

PJ slam in the Miami New Times needs some challenging!

samnationsamnation Los Angeles, CA Posts: 277
edited June 2008 in The Porch
Some guy named John Linn used the upcoming West Palm show to slam Pearl Jam in his little event post at miaminewtimes.com. He's goes on and on about how "Everything they endorse turns to poop." I don't know what planet John Linn is living on but if he can't recognize all the good things PJ has done over the past 15 years he must have some serious blinders on.

Is Pearl Jam REALLY a worthwhile target for a negative slam anyway? I'm not saying they're perfect but they do a helluva lot more good than the majority of the bands out there. They at least have the courage and integrity to stand up for what they believe in and try and make a difference. Slamming them is really ridiculous and makes John Linn look like a real jerk.

There is a comments section on the article page. Let's let him and his readers know the GOOD things PJ has done! Check out the article:

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/events/pearl-jam-1023105

Fightin’ the Good Fight
Dennis Rodman’s favorite band keeps on rockin’ in the free world.
BY JOHN LINN

Pearl Jam has always been a political sort of band — recall the Ticketmaster boycott, Eddie Vedder’s public Bush bashing, and the group’s aversion to big business, including their own record labels. Unfortunately, their political maneuvers don’t always work out. It’s like the Midas touch in reverse: Everything they endorse turns to poop. Their refusal to follow label orders dropped them pretty far off the radar during the late Nineties and put them in a bad way with Epic Records. What’d they do? They swore off record labels, hoping to do it on their own, but then ended up signing with J Records for their 2006 self-titled release — J Records being owned by Sony BMG, the same group that owns Epic. Oops. In early May, they backed an Oregon senatorial candidate, Steve Novick, a tiny (four-foot-nine) liberal Democrat, even pledging concert proceeds to his campaign if he won his primary. He lost.

Yeesh. Let’s just hope no one was listening when the group declared its support for Obama with a little ditty called “Rock Around Barack,” a reworking of the Bill Haley & His Comets classic. The band plays the Cruzan Amphitheatre at 7:30 p.m., the very first show of its North American tour. Secure your ticket starting at $42 plus any outrageous service charges at http://www.ticketmaster.com. Hey, even rock stars need to pick their battles.
Sam
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    stickfig13stickfig13 Posts: 1,532
    any journalist that uses the word "Poop" in an article should not be taken seriously!
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,778
    I'm not wasting my time on someone who actually uses the word "poop" in their article.

enough said
  • Options
    kh65kh65 Posts: 946
    He's a poophead.
    "If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much room."

Gambling=a taxation on stupidity.

Remember, you can walk anywhere, as long as you have the time.

http://www.ryanmontbleauband.com/

http://www.myspace.com/jessedee
  • Options
    MattyJoeMattyJoe Posts: 1,424
    Seems like he's still riding the anti-Pearl Jam wave that began around 1995. He probably forgot all about Pearl Jam until their newest album and is just now deciding to say something now that it's hype has worn off. Don't let him get away with it!!

Although I have to be honest, I can't stand Rock Around Barack either, and not just musically.
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    Don't see anything factually wrong in the article....
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • Options
    chromiam wrote:

Not at all.....

He's just glossing over the fact that they have sold millions. Pioneered concert bootlegs. Sold out MSG.....The list goes on....
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013
  • Options
    chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    stickfig13 wrote:
    Not at all.....

He's just glossing over the fact that they have sold millions. Pioneered concert bootlegs. Sold out MSG.....The list goes on....

none of which have anything to do with politics... first line "Pearl Jam has always been a political sort of band"
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    I still wish I knew what they were thinking with that whole "Rock Around Barack" thing ...
  • Options
    stickboystickboy Posts: 2,981
    miami new times :rolleyes: ...pffftt.what the fuck ever...the only thing they know down there musicwise is Lil Wayne, and some other Durty South crap, House music and Reggaeton...they dont know shit about Rock other than the one they smoke and sniff down there...twas another reason I left, going thru withdrawals of good rock concerts and a good scene.
    So I wouldn't really look into what cornball Linn said cause obviously he's clueless
    Aah, fuck it, I’m just gonna go home, turn on the fuckin’ TV...
    Watch the nightly news and drink a beer...
    Like I could even change the world, yeah right...
  • Options
    sweet adelinesweet adeline Posts: 2,211
    John \ wrote:
    In early May, they backed an Oregon senatorial candidate, Steve Novick, a tiny (four-foot-nine) liberal Democrat, even pledging concert proceeds to his campaign if he won his primary. He lost.

they also supported john tester (d - montana) who won.
  • Options
    chromiam wrote:
    none of which have anything to do with politics... first line "Pearl Jam has always been a political sort of band"

He said "POOP"
    :)
  • Options
    samnationsamnation Los Angeles, CA Posts: 277
    chromiam wrote:

I'm not calling him a liar. I'm just saying he's focusing only on what he has concluded as failures. He's not acknowledging at all the fact that PJ has always kept their ticket prices reasonable compared to almost every other arena act out there, they have a long-standing dedicated and independent fan club, retail operation, and ticketing system all in-house, they have made raising money for charity a constant priority, and they have always maintained a high standard for their music and concerts. I know he's just some asshat in FL, but his readers should know more than just his one-sided view.
    Sam
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,009
    "Everyone Poops"
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    He called the shit, "POOP"!!!

Oh my God, Old Man Clemens hates shit!
  • Options
    PearlJen22PearlJen22 Posts: 106
    Jason P wrote:

I was just going to write that!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,242
    Jason P wrote:

Father of the Year here!

I just watched this with my 7 year old and he laughed so hard at that line!
  • Options
    jonbond1779jonbond1779 London, UK Posts: 1,556
    Obviously this guy writing the article has no idea who Pearl Jam are as a band - he knows the name and recalls the news. The guy is a hack. The fact is that 'Pearl Jam' has evolved from its inception - from a band into a movement! Pearl Jam (and thier fans) are a different breed. Does it matter that PJ 'dropped off the rader' in the 90's? No - cause we all still got the records and continued to give them a fourm to play and allow them to give us, as fans, their music, message and self-expression.

We all know that Pearl Jam stand for something - they step up and speak out when they have to and are not robots manufactured by record labels - like SO many band out there. Also the fact they that have stayed together for almost 20 years! and have not sold out or comprimised their music is a testament to their ethics and longevity.

Thems the facts.
    "Bring it back, to the clean form. To the pure form"

28/09/04 - Boston, 20/04/06 - London [\\mm//Astoria\\mm//] - 18/06/07 - Wembley Arena, 11/08/09 -  London [\\mm//Shepherds Bush Empire\\mm//],18/08/09 - 02 Arena, 25/06/10 - Hyde Park, 26/06/12 - Amsterdam, 27/06/12 - Amsterdam, 08/07/14 - Leeds,11/07/14 - Milton Keynes, 13/06/18 - Amsterdam, 18/06/18 - London 02 Arena, 17/07/18 - London 02 Arena, 08/08/22 - Hyde Park, 9/08/22 - Hyde Park - 25/08/22 - Amsterdam, 29/07/24 - London {*Tottenham Stadium TBC*}
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    If you give any feedback or corrections, please do it politely as it reflects on us all.

xo
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,696
    Who really gives a rat shit about some headache jibbersh written by an 8th page job on the line junior hack writer from The Miami New Times anyways?

He's just a muted voice in the crowd and his nonsence article is a lame ass attempt to boil someones blood, and stir up some shit.

Blast him if you'd like...but your only gonna give this swine what he wants.

If he gets a hundred responses (good or bad) his editor will think people actually read this bullshit. Next thing you know...you just helped this clown get more articles.

Leave him be. He's probably a Nickelback fan.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,730
    stickfig13 wrote:
    Not at all.....

yeah exactly. the writer is probably just a dork in his mid-30's who was probably the only one in his high school that didn't "get" Pearl Jam, Nirvana, etc. and he holds a grudge about it to this day.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    TiaMijaTiaMija Posts: 597
    He's a nincompoop!
  • Options
    smile05smile05 Posts: 600
    FUCK,cant believe they didn't realise that J Records somehow links back to Epic,Mr K Curtis has a lot to answer for now!!!!!
    1:Black 2:Corduroy 3:All Those Yesterdays 4:I Got ID 5:Smile

They can buy but cant put on my clothes
    Throw down my ace in the hole~~~~~~

Let's go for three in a row, no sorry i can't think of anything thats not funny. - Paul Merton

London96,Manchester00,Berlin06,London07
  • Options
    stonegstoneg Posts: 1,940
    Jason P wrote:

Billy Madison Rules!! OK now let's ask him what other bands have the greatest fans in the world who do fundrasier before each show?
    Ft. Lauderdale 96'
    Tampa 00'
    West Palm Beach 03'
    House of Blues 03'
    Tampa 03'
    Kissimmee 04'
    West Palm Beach 08'
    Tampa 08'
    Eddie Vedder Clearwater both nights 2012
  • Options
    stonegstoneg Posts: 1,940
    "This band is unstoppable, this weenkend we rock Portland."
    Ft. Lauderdale 96'
    Tampa 00'
    West Palm Beach 03'
    House of Blues 03'
    Tampa 03'
    Kissimmee 04'
    West Palm Beach 08'
    Tampa 08'
    Eddie Vedder Clearwater both nights 2012
  • Options
    Given to...Given to... Wyoming Posts: 4,977
    chromiam wrote:

It is actually a decent recounting of our favorite band. And it sounds like he might also back Obama. No harm, no foul.
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,009
    stoneg wrote:
    Billy Madison Rules!! OK now let's ask him what other bands have the greatest fans in the world who do fundrasier before each show?
    Creed? :)
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    firecrotch23firecrotch23 Posts: 586
    i dont give a poop what this poopface has to say, this tour will be the poop!:)
    Small my table, seats just 3, its not crowded, its just lucky me
  • Options
    mdgsolomdgsolo Posts: 785
    Hey, everyone's entitled to an opinion. I thought it was pretty funny, really. He had some points. Maybe the next album can be like Yield- more about peace than war, anyway.

Edit: Maybe if everybody got poopfaced and re-read it, they would laugh too
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,688
    chromiam wrote:

You're right. He actually left some things out like them supporting Nader in 2000 and Kerry in 2004.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    Don't forget, it was a Miami reporter who got old Jimbo arrested, by claiming Mr. Leather Keks got his todger out on stage, when it's most likely that never happened. Factual integrity isn't the prerogative of these Miami journos. ;)