Options

Why is selling posters looked down upon here?

2»

Comments

• Options
    :rolleyes:

It's an endless debate.

I am only against the flippers. If someone buys a poster and later down the track decides they no longer want it.....I see no problem with selling or trading it. It's (as I've said!) when arseholes buy these posters at the sales, causing people that genuinely want this art to miss out, with the intentions to re-sell and make a $$$ - it totally shits me!! :mad:

Once again...I'll be sitting here til 3am waiting for the next sale......hoping I get the 1 poster I really want......and if I miss out because of flippers :mad:
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,612
    How'd you get one for $80, just curious?

can't say, sorry :)
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,319
    Hey dude, did you read the rest of that post? obviously NOT, so chill the fuck out.
    Yeah, I read the post and I chose to quote the one part.
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    aus_suzaus_suz Posts: 9,364
    Best of Luck for everyone trying for the poster sale@ Artillery... :)
  • Options
    flyinwhole313flyinwhole313 Posts: 1,651

It's an endless debate.

I am only against the flippers. If someone buys a poster and later down the track decides they no longer want it.....I see no problem with selling or trading it. It's (as I've said!) when arseholes buy these posters at the sales, causing people that genuinely want this art to miss out, with the intentions to re-sell and make a $$$ - it totally shits me!! :mad:

Once again...I'll be sitting here til 3am waiting for the next sale......hoping I get the 1 poster I really want......and if I miss out because of flippers :mad:

Yeah, it kills me how the "for sale/trade" area on Expresso Beans BLOWS up after a 10C Sale. But only if I got shut out myself:)
  • Options
    Yeah, I read the post and I chose to quote the one part.
    Yeah,......Well............ The Giants suck! :):):):):)
  • Options
    Yeah,......Well............ The Giants suck! :):):):):)

I've been waiting to say that to you...

PEACE!
  • Options
    HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,319
    I've been waiting to say that to you...
    PEACE!
    Yeah, well the Phillthies and the Eagles blow. :D:D:D:D:D
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329

It's an endless debate.

Agree with OZgirl.

People who buy posters with the only goal to flip them are total scum. ninersfan001 comes to mind.

He takes a poster out of the hands of a fan who went to the show and wanted one.

Because of this people miss out, get upset, and get pissed when someone comes on here to sell posters.

If you are entering the secondhand market, be smart and STAY off this Fan Club board. Go directly to eBay.

There is no official grace period, but after a year or two or ten, I personally have no problem if someone needs money and sells their artwork for the appreciated value. That is the nature of art.

I don't collect posters except for shows I went to. I'm proud to say I have every poster to every show I've been to.

I bought them ALL at shows except for the first 4 shows I attended. Wasn't into it yet. Paid "market" value for those four.

If/when I or my greatest grandson decides to sell there will be no shame in accepting market value in my opinion. Via eBay and NOT this site. ;p
  • Options
    pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    Wilds wrote:

If you are entering the secondhand market, be smart and STAY off this Fan Club board. Go directly to eBay.

There is no official grace period, but after a year or two or ten, I personally have no problem if someone needs money and sells their artwork for the appreciated value. That is the nature of art.

I guess it depends on each person...I just cant sell...I think if I do, karma will kick my ass(insert ass kiss remark here...;) ). I have only traded and never paid more than face for a poster. For me, it is about gettng the poster I want, fair trade or not(on my end). I traded a Boston 98(to bostonlou, God rest his soul) for an Ames Hawaii 06, when I prob could have got $4-600 on the bay? He was happy and I was too. That is pretty much all that counts for me. I could care less what people do with their own shit at the end of the day, but it does bug me a bit when someone comes here with a poster they paid $30 for and tries to sell it for 100's. While I understand they are WORTH that, I just dont care to do things that way... you can always find someone to trade with straight up regardless of values if you look hard enough.....just me...carry on...
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,018
    I guess it depends on each person...I just cant sell...I think if I do, karma will kick my ass(insert ass kiss remark here...;) ). I have only traded and never paid more than face for a poster. For me, it is about gettng the poster I want, fair trade or not(on my end). I traded a Boston 98(to bostonlou, God rest his soul) for an Ames Hawaii 06, when I prob could have got $4-600 on the bay? He was happy and I was too. That is pretty much all that counts for me. I could care less what people do with their own shit at the end of the day, but it does bug me a bit when someone comes here with a poster they paid $30 for and tries to sell it for 100's. While I understand they are WORTH that, I just dont care to do things that way... you can always find someone to trade with straight up regardless of values if you look hard enough.....just me...carry on...
    all very good points. The one show poster that I attended that I never got was B-Ham 98, but I refuse to pay $400 for it and that's what it always goes for on ebay. Oh well, maybe one of these days :)
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    I think it is all a matter of timing. If you go to a show and buy poster and have it listed on Ebay that same night/morning, I don't know, it just feels a little dirty to me. Especially since so many people end up getting shut out of getting posters from shows they actually attend.

Having said that, if you acquire a poster and you decide somewhere down the road (at least a few months) that it is just going to sit in a flat file forever (or god forbid, a tube) and it is not a worthy addition to your collection, then you should feel OK selling it. (I have done this myself and am not ashamed to admit it. Hopefully this doesn't get me banned, but with the amount of people listing "posters for sale" on this site lately, I think I am safe.)

Anyway, my thought on this has been that out of courtesty to your fellow fan, if you are buying a poster at a show that you know know know that you are going to turn around and sell the next day maybe think about not doing that because once you cross that line you have become more or less the same exact thing as ninersfan (i.e., a scalper). And I think that is really uncool, especially when it comes to a band with as much integrity as pearl jam.
    "Goddamn Romans. Sure know how to make a ... drum room." --Matt Cameron
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,753
    Never understood why posters were so "cool" to have anyways.

they're not cool. personally I think poster collecting is the lamest thing about pearl jam fandom.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    they're not cool. personally I think poster collecting is the lamest thing about pearl jam fandom.

How do you REALLY feel though? I am having a hard time understanding EXACTLY what you mean? ;)
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • Options
    duggro wrote:
    feel better now with that nonsense of your chest? :)

haha yeah, im glad someone saw the sarcasm in my post.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,874
    here is what makes me mad

People selling a poster 5 minutes after a show ends on e-bay already marking it up 200%.

Why? Because many of us really enjoy the posters and collect them, and since people just sit in line to flip them at huge profits actual fans of the medium are SOL.

For example: That dude we all know who hired homeless people to get in line for him at MSG and buy tons of posters while those of us who actually wanted one were shut out.

flippers also kill us because if we want the poster we eventually cave in and buy it at their inflated prices, it sets an artificially high price ending up costing us even more. That new tork poster set is not even good but we'll have to pay 150 for it since nonposter people see it as some kind of quick buck.

And as many have put it how much money does Brad Klausen see when someone paws his Kenyon Hall for 250 bucks...nothing. Yeah I know there are hundreds of examples of this in the art world, but it isn't like we are talking years later on many of these, we are talking minutes after it is sold people are marking it up from 35 to 200 bucks sometimes!

It is simple, if you don't want a poster to keep don't buy one! Let the people who want one get one.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,753
    How do you REALLY feel though? I am having a hard time understanding EXACTLY what you mean? ;)

the proof is the puddin'
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    But there is a certain level of hypocrisy going on. I mean you would never trade your Easy Street for say a Dusseldorf straight up and it has nothing to do with with your love for the putrid art that is Easy Street. It's because one sells for 6-700 on ebay while the other sells for 150-200...