Options

Why is selling posters looked down upon here?

JeffAment's-FloorJeffAment's-Floor Posts: 88
edited August 2008 in The Porch
I realize we are all so self-righteous about our Pearl Jam fan-cred but if I could remake all of the money that I spent on an event by selling the poster on an open market, then yea, I should be able to do it. I don't understand the "immorality" of the situation.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    AtlantaJammerAtlantaJammer Posts: 2,611
    Never understood why posters were so "cool" to have anyways.
  • Options
    over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
    Hope you feel proud of "earning" money off of someone else's work.

That rolling and stuffing in a tube must have been so tough for you!!

Good job!
    Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

• Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    I realize we are all so self-righteous about our Pearl Jam fan-cred but if I could remake all of the money that I spent on an event by selling the poster on an open market, then yea, I should be able to do it. I don't understand the "immorality" of the situation.
    In a way, you're ripping off those fans who also spend their hard earned money on PJ by trying to redeemed your own lost of money.

That's just my take on it, if somebody's willing to overpay for something then it's choice and it's their money.

I still haven't paid for any PJ material over the face value price.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    NoelMichaelNoelMichael Posts: 1,630
    Scalping-- That's what ebay is for. This forum is for people that actually want to help each other out.
    9-28-96 Randall’s Island NY; 9-01-00 Camden NJ; 7-05-03 Camden NJ; 10-01-04 Reading PA; 10-03-05 Philly PA; 5-27-06 Camden NJ; 5-28-06 Camden NJ; 6-19-08 Camden NJ; 6-20-08 Camden NJ; 6-24-08 NYC NY; 8-7-08 EV Newark, NJ; 6-11-09 EV Philly PA; 6-12-09 EV Philly PA; 10-27-09 Philly PA; 10-28-09 Philly PA; 10-30-09 Philly PA; 10-31-09 Philly PA; 5-15-10 Hartford CT; 5-18-10 Newark NJ; 5-21-10 NYC NY; 6-21-11 EV NYC NY; 6-22-11 EV NYC NY; 6-25-11 EV Philly PA; 7-1-11 EV StL MS; 9-3-11 E Troy WI; 9-4-11 E Troy WI
  • Options
    LongRd. wrote:
    In a way, you're ripping off those fans who also spend their hard earned money on PJ by trying to redeemed your own lost of money.

That's just my take on it, if somebody's willing to overpay for something then it's choice and it's their money.

I still haven't paid for any PJ material over the face value price.

But said it yourself. They are willing to put out that money. How is that "ripping" off anyone? If they decide to buy it, they decide to buy it.
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    But said it yourself. They are willing to put out that money. How is that "ripping" off anyone? If they decide to buy it, they decide to buy it.
    They are paying more than the original value. Why are you even going to their shows if you're looking to restore your wallet?

Most fans go for the experience and memories. I wasted a lot of cash in June, probably more than I wanted to but I'm not gonna say "fuck, I need my money back"...it kinda devalues the experience.

If you don't understand a fan's aspect of going to see your favorite band then you should find a new hobby.

you're making your money back on another fellow fan mate.

that's just my opinion on it.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options

The difference is you are a realist and everyone here thinks they are "above" that, like they all act like they are a better person then you because they dont do it, its the silly, holier than thou, elitist attitude that most pitters have.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    duggroduggro Posts: 1,343
    The difference is you are a realist and everyone here thinks they are "above" that, like they all act like they are a better person then you because they dont do it, its the silly, holier than thou, elitist attitude that most pitters have.
    feel better now with that nonsense of your chest? :)
    Dublin Leeds Berlin Wembley
  • Options
    flyinwhole313flyinwhole313 Posts: 1,651
    Scalping-- That's what ebay is for. This forum is for people that actually want to help each other out.

That truly defines the phrase "Hitting the nail on its head". Look no further than this as the simple explaination. THIS is a fan site. Help a brother out, not gouge a brother out.

However, like anything else, there is another side of the tale. This site is solely fans (supposedly) and a large condensation of the market for merchandise. WE are always a market. Pearl Jam/ Ames/ Klausen, etc. KNOWS we will buy posters, so they keep making them to make money. If they can make money on us, and Market value of an item is higher than face-due to supply and demand, then what is the harm? I can go to the grocery store and buy a 2 liter bottle of soda for what $0.80? Yet the 7-Eleven wants $2.75 for the same bottle? Why? Convenience. Someone in Texas can't get the Boston Poster themselves unless they make a vacation out of it, so it costs them a few bucks extra...Is this really a problem? We are all paying anyway.

Personally, if anyone of you self-righteous drones who cries about this will sell me a DC 06 for face, I will hear your case and advocate it, but even Brad Klausen is selling posters for more than original face...
  • Options
    aus_suzaus_suz Posts: 9,364

U are ripping the Artist's work off by selling at a higher price.....
    The Artist tries to keep the poster at a price that the fan can afford...
    If anyone should get extreme prices for the posters it should be the Artist after all its their work and their bread and butter thats getting flipped....
  • Options
    For me....it's more the ones that buy the posters with the intention of re-selling them for proffit :mad: So many of us who want the posters to keep and hang on our walls as a piece of art we love, miss out on posters in the sales, because flippers have bought them :(

I've said it before and I'll say it again...Scalpers and Flippers are lower than a snakes belly!! :mad:
  • Options
    aus_suz wrote:
    U are ripping the Artist's work off by selling at a higher price.....
    The Artist tries to keep the poster at a price that the fan can afford...
    If anyone should get extreme prices for the posters it should be the Artist after all its their work and their bread and butter thats getting flipped....

Are you serious? Klausen is selling his own posters for more than original face. "Market Value" Lets have this debate after the sale. DUMB argument.
  • Options
    The person selling it has ripped not only the artist off....but someone who genuinely wanted to buy that piece of art in it's original sale and missed out because of a flipper.

It's called Green Disease! :( at the expense of fellow fans.
  • Options
    but even Brad Klausen is selling posters for more than original face...

And so he should its his fucking poster!!!
    That is the only way to stop all the extreme prices is for the Artist to put the prices up....Imagine how he must feel when he sees his art selling for hundreds of dollars..........a bit pissed I would imagine...........:)
  • Options
    HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,319
    That truly defines the phrase "Hitting the nail on its head". Look no further than this as the simple explaination. THIS is a fan site. Help a brother out, not gouge a brother out.
    How do you know how much people paid for these posters they're selling? 90% of the posters I'm selling here I bought on ebay. When I first started buying I wasn't privy to the market so I paid more than market value at the time. Most of my posters I'm selling for my cost plus the little bit that pays for paypal fees. In a lot of cases others offer trades and if they have something I want I make the trade. Like most people in life, we assume. I've dealt with a good deal of members here and to be honest with you they're great people and not once have I ever felt cheated or cheated anyone. Remember, if you don't like the price then don't buy.
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    Are you serious? Klausen is selling his own posters for more than original face. "Market Value" Lets have this debate after the sale. DUMB argument.
    Ummmm....it's HIS art to sell at whatever price he likes. I say good on him for doing this.....he know if he doesn't, chances are flippers are gonna make money off of HIS work, so why not.
  • Options
    aus_suz wrote:
    And so he should its his fucking poster!!!
    That is the only way to stop all the extreme prices is for the Artist to put the prices up....Imagine how he must feel when he sees his art selling for hundreds of dollars..........a bit pissed I would imagine...........:)

See the vicious cycle? You are now justifying "it". In the end, the posters are being sold for more than face. I wish I could afford an Easy Street poster, but $500? Maybe even $100, and it would be hanging on this fans wall. It is shitty, but the Market will always supercede the desires of fans. Money always wins. THAT, my friend, is fucked up.
  • Options
    How do you know how much people paid for these posters they're selling? 90% of the posters I'm selling here I bought on ebay. When I first started buying I wasn't privy to the market so I paid more than market value at the time. Most of my posters I'm selling for my cost plus the little bit that pays for paypal fees. In a lot of cases others offer trades and if they have something I want I make the trade. Like most people in life, we assume. I've dealt with a good deal of members here and to be honest with you they're great people and not once have I ever felt cheated or cheated anyone. Remember, if you don't like the price then don't buy.

Hey dude, did you read the rest of that post? obviously NOT, so chill the fuck out.
  • Options

Im not arguing...........they are his posters he can put whatever price he likes....They are too cheap at face anyway....
    I dont need to debate anything after the sale I recieved the email the other day.
    Brad said, "the prices of these posters will be set pretty close to market value".
    The only ppl that wouldnt be happy with that would be the flippers...
    I dont have a problem paying a higher price if the Artist is receiving the money...
  • Options
    And Hollis,
    The point was. If you want to gouge, sell on EBAY. NOT HERE. Who cares what you bought it for on ebay? go sell it back over there!
  • Options
    I'm not talking about situations like that....I'm talking solely about the people that buy the posters, either at shows, from 10c, Artillery etc; with the only intention to re-sell for a profit and usually a large profit.
    Sooooo, many times I see posters , that flippers have bought at the sales, put on eBay before they've even got them!! :mad: While we are still sitting back spewing that we missed out.....they're rubbing our noses in it. Yay for those who can afford and choose to pay the flippers prices, but not everyone can do that. Brad gives everyone a fair go to be able to own his art at an affordable price and when ya miss out because some arsehole has snatched it our from under you to sell.....Grrrrrr!
  • Options
    How dare someone sells an artist's work for more than the artist sold it for originally. Picasso, Dali they sold for a price and watched their works appreciate 1000 fold. I'm sure they didn't sit around their typewriters sending letters to the editors complaining. They just made more pieces do to the higher demand for their art. Hey people. It's art and that's what happens.
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
  • Options
    LizardkingLizardking Posts: 936
    See the vicious cycle? You are now justifying "it". In the end, the posters are being sold for more than face. I wish I could afford an Easy Street poster, but $500? Maybe even $100, and it would be hanging on this fans wall. It is shitty, but the Market will always supercede the desires of fans. Money always wins. THAT, my friend, is fucked up.

I got my Easystreet for $20!!!!
    Lizardking

http://www.myspace.com/lizardkings1

(This Post May Have Been Edited By AT&T)
  • Options
    Lizardking wrote:
    I'll give you $25 and I'll pay the shipping
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
  • Options
    I wish I had bought posters from the shows I've gone to. They'd look sweet in my basement. Argue with that!
  • Options
    Lizardking wrote:
    $26 and I will get the shipping...HAHAHA! who's next?
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,597
    Lizardking wrote:

dang, my S/N Easy Street cost me $80 a year ago,...still, i'm not complaining ;):D
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    I wish I had bought posters from the shows I've gone to. They'd look sweet in my basement. Argue with that!
    What shows did you go too. Maybe I have them and can work something out.
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
  • Options
    100 Pacer wrote:
    dang, my S/N Easy Street cost me $80 a year ago,...still, i'm not complaining ;):D
    How'd you get one for $80, just curious?
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org