I am sad :(

tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
edited August 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Had to have my cat put down on Tuesday night. She had been hiding in the garden for a few days and when my husband found her on Tuesday afternoon she looked terrible. She had lost heaps of weight and just lay on the ground panting. I took her straight to the vet, who said that there wasn't much that could be done as she was severly dehydrated so I held her and said goodbye. The vet suspected bowel cancer. She was 15 and had led a happy life. RIP Little Kitty :cry:
all you need is love, love is all you need
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    I'm sorry tinkerbell. It's never easy to say goodbye to a loved animal.

My thoughts are with you and your little kitty who suffers no more.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    I'm so sorry. 15 is pretty old for a kitty. I bet she had a great life. But it's still hard. I'll say some extra pet prayers tonight for her.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,821
    :( sorry for your loss, glad she lead a happy life
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    Thanks everyone. Her mum Big Kitty (yes I know very original) is still going strong at 17.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    oh hugs to you Tink...
    sad and shocking for you... sudden

my heart and good thoughts coming your way... glad you have Big Kitty... mum to mourn with
    can't be easy for her either. :cry:
    pandora wrote:
    oh hugs to you Tink...

my heart and good thoughts coming your way... glad you have Big Kitty... mum to mourn with

Thanks Pandora. Big Kitty only seemed to notice this morning, when I put her out I watched her search around outside.
  • autumnautumn Posts: 191
    I am so sorry for your loss. :(
    Just remember how great of a life she had and how lucky you were to have her in yours. Cancer sucks!!!
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    tinkerbell wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    oh hugs to you Tink...

Thanks Pandora. Big Kitty only seemed to notice this morning, when I put her out I watched her search around outside.
    oh my that is sad ... now I'm crying... Moms :cry:

Big hug for Big Kitty too ... I like the names.
    My roommate in my 20's had a great big yellow cat named Kitty ...
    he was quite a kitty!
  • voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    Really sorry to hear that, must have been really difficult letting go like that.

*hugs*
  • titchinellotitchinello Posts: 3,139
    tinkerbell wrote:
    Had to have my cat put down on Tuesday night. She had been hiding in the garden for a few days and when my husband found her on Tuesday afternoon she looked terrible. She had lost heaps of weight and just lay on the ground panting. I took her straight to the vet, who said that there wasn't much that could be done as she was severly dehydrated so I held her and said goodbye. The vet suspected bowel cancer. She was 15 and had led a happy life. RIP Little Kitty :cry:

I feel your loss, a couple of years ago same sort of thing happened with one of my cats, lost a lot of weight very quick, and when we took her to the vet, we were advised it was best to put her down there and then, and now just a few months ago her sister cought a cat flu, and a virus, we took her to the vet and got pills which to start with helped, but she was a weak cat and the virus was too strong, best we could do was keep her comfortable for the last few hours.
    Glasgow cathouse-1992-2-23, San diego sports arena-1995-11-06 & 07, Glasgow secc-2000-06-03, Tampa st petes times forum-2003-04-13, London O2 arena-2009-08-18, Belfast odyssey arena-2010-06-23.Leeds 2014 - 07-08
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    Awww, I am so sorry. (((hug)))

You gave her the gift of release... I hope you find some small comfort in that. It's the hardest thing, to do right by them when they are so dependent on us, and so very trusting.

RIP Little Kitty.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    tinkerbell wrote:

I am very sorry. :( :(
    I feel your loss, a couple of years ago same sort of thing happened with one of my cats, lost a lot of weight very quick, and when we took her to the vet, we were advised it was best to put her down there and then, and now just a few months ago her sister cought a cat flu, and a virus, we took her to the vet and got pills which to start with helped, but she was a weak cat and the virus was too strong, best we could do was keep her comfortable for the last few hours.

:( It really is so hard. I have never really been an animal person (both cats came with my husband when we moved in together). She was a special friend to us all in the end and it has been particularly hard on my 6 yo daughter. My 3 yo son was cute though he pretended to cry when his sister and I were - made me laugh a little.

To everone that looses or has lost a pet, my heart goes out to you. I was always of the mind that its only an animal, but now see the light - they are part of your family.
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,687
    tinkerbell wrote:

My condolenses on your loss :( I feel your pain all so well :( I myself received a terrible call from my wife yesterday at work. She said you need to come right now, so hurray. When i got home she had to tell me that Jake had passed away. Jake was my 14 yr old golden retriever that I had as a pup from 8 weeks. A day later and I still have my moments, I miss my buddy :cry:

RIP Jake
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2
    Sorry about the one sentence in there, the missing word is home and I can't believe I missed that, sorry all
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2
    BLACK35 wrote:
    My condolenses on your loss :( I feel your pain all so well :( I myself received a terrible call from my wife yesterday at work. She said you need to come right now, so hurray. When i got home she had to tell me that Jake had passed away. Jake was my 14 yr old golden retriever that I had as a pup from 8 weeks. A day later and I still have my moments, I miss my buddy :cry:

RIP Jake

Oh I'm so sorry! RIP Jake. Big hugs to you.
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    I am so sorry for your loss :( I know all too well how difficult a decision it is to make. But you made the bravest and kindest choice for her. Lots of love to you.
  • ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505
    I am so sorry for your loss. Letting a pet go is very difficult. Lots of love and light to her and you.
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!
    tinkerbell wrote:
    BLACK35 wrote:

RIP Jake

Oh I'm so sorry! RIP Jake. Big hugs to you.

Thanks, I appreciate that :) All will eventually be good in do time
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2
  • ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505
    BLACK35 wrote:
    tinkerbell wrote:

RIP Jake

I am so sorry for you too. :( Hugs
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!
  • dr0ptheleashdr0ptheleash Posts: 1,264
    tinkerbell wrote:

I can 100% understand. I am so sorry for your loss. I had to put my little kitty down on Monday night, after 15 years also. I went to the vet expecting to hear good news and instead I had to leave alone. He also said my cat was severely dehydrated and suspected kidney failure. She was down to 5.2 lbs. I am so sad to give up the one thing that always listens and never talks back. I know how you feel, and you're not alone. Pets really are like family members.

Hope you're feeling a little better. I definitely know how hard it is to be at home without your pet. :(
    I can 100% understand. I am so sorry for your loss. I had to put my little kitty down on Monday night, after 15 years also. I went to the vet expecting to hear good news and instead I had to leave alone. He also said my cat was severely dehydrated and suspected kidney failure. She was down to 5.2 lbs. I am so sad to give up the one thing that always listens and never talks back. I know how you feel, and you're not alone. Pets really are like family members.

Hope you're feeling a little better. I definitely know how hard it is to be at home without your pet. :(

Hugs to you! It hasn't been a good week for a few of us here!
  • SCMike10SCMike10 Posts: 195
    My heart goes out to all the pet owners that have had to make that final, hardest, decision ever. Two years ago, it was my cat Mookie (yep- you know where the name came from). I raised that cat from 7 weeks until a little over 15 years. She developed cancer, and stopped eating. I still remember sobbing uncontrollably the Friday afternoon that she had to be put down. Fast foward to this past Monday; my wife brought her cat of 14 years (part of my life for only three) to the vet as he had not eaten or gone to the bathroom in four days. After an agonizing three hours of bloodtests and other "vet things", we got the call that Kitty Meow Meow was merely constipated. We cannot even imagine our lives without this damn cat waking us up at 4 in the morning to beg for food, lying on our laps while we watch crappy reality TV, or greeting us each day by licking and biting our noses when we return from work. As I type this he is lying on his back in front of me with one front paw pointed at the ceiling as if he has a question. Again, I am so sorry for your loss. I really hope the people out there with pets in their lives appreciate the extended (furry) parts of their families.
    Irvine Meadows - Sep 13, 1992
    Tweeter Center - Jul 02, 2003
    Tweeter Center - Jul 03, 2003
    Tweeter Center - Jul 11, 2003
    Fleet Center - Sep 28, 2004
    Dodge Music Center - Jun 27, 2008
    Tweeter Center - Jun 28, 2008
    Tweeter Center - Jun 30, 2008
    ALL FOUR 09 PHILLY SHOWS!!
  • FifthelementFifthelement Posts: 6,958
    I'm so sorry for your loss :(

((((hugs)))) and ((((good vibes)))) being sent your way.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
    BLACK35 wrote:
    tinkerbell wrote:

RIP Jake

I am so sorry for you too. :( Hugs

Thank you :)
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    RIP Little kitty and Jake.

It's so very hard when you lose a pet, any kind of pet tbh. Hugs to you both.
  • tinkerbell wrote:

Omg the exact same thing happened to my cat in 2009 so I know what you are feeling now.
    For over 2 months he was hardly eating and slowly he was getting thinner and weaker.
    It got to the point where we had to put him out of his pain, he was 11.
    I will never forget that night we had to put him down, burned in my memory forever.
    And before we took him to the vet he came up to me and just collapsed on my lap as if to seek comfort, damn sad moment.
    The vet could never tell me what was wrong, they done so many tests and could not determine it, they thought pancreatitis, another vet said cancer (didn't say what kind). Was so frustrating.
    Very sad times, sorry to hear.
    My thoughts are with you. :(
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • oona leftoona left Posts: 1,677
    I'm very sorry for your loss.

It's a terrible thing to lose a loved one of any species.
  • drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    I'm so sorry to hear about your loss -- I know how difficult it is to lose a pet. :(

The good thing is that she had a great owner and you gave her a life -- that's what you'll remember and at least for me I still think of all of the pets I've had fondly over the year. She was lucky to have you!
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    I'm so sorry to hear this tink...

{{{HUGS}}}

like unlost said, you gave her the best gift, release from the suffering.

Her body may not be here, but her spirit will live on forever in your heart...remember that.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless