Options

Rodger Daltrey...

alive25alive25 Posts: 124
edited July 2008 in The Porch
he's losin it. i know hes like 112 years old but last night we didnt see the same Rodger Daltrey we all know and love. I hate to say it but i think its time the who call it a day. ok now let me have it.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    alive25 wrote:
    he's losin it. i know hes like 112 years old but last night we didnt see the same Rodger Daltrey we all know and love. I hate to say it but i think its time the who call it a day. ok now let me have it.

i watched baba and it was played soo slowly... too used to the pj version and his singing wash horrible!

LOl pearl jam's version is like a billion times better.
  • Options
    dana_bdana_b Posts: 141
    alive25 wrote:

His name is Roger, not Rodger. No, it wasn't his best night (although they left out WGFA which was brilliant! also 2000 Years.) but he can still out rock most young guys. Did you hear The Flaming lips? Fuck - my ears were pierced from all the out of tune notes. Roger still has good nights, which I've seen in the last couple of years and will keep going as long as they're around.
  • Options
    alive25alive25 Posts: 124
    dana_b wrote:
    His name is Roger, not Rodger. No, it wasn't his best night (although they left out WGFA which was brilliant! also 2000 Years.) but he can still out rock most young guys. Did you hear The Flaming lips? Fuck - my ears were pierced from all the out of tune notes. Roger still has good nights, which I've seen in the last couple of years and will keep going as long as they're around.

sorry i cant spell for shit
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,508
    shut up everybody.......yes they are old!

gah come off it.

they are and always will be the

MOTHERFUCKING WHO!

sit on it.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options
    mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,286
    Let me preface by saying i LOVE The Who and am a strong believer in bands going as long as they can. I first saw them live at Bridge 99, and then again at the Gorge in 2000, at that time Roger could still pull off or come pretty close to nailing the songs. And when i saw them in 02 still pretty good. Fast forward to seeing them in 06 and especially the rock honors show, he REALLY is struggling to get anywhere near where those songs need to be. The rest of the band ironically is probably better than they ever have been. I have to admit that they're going to have to hang it up soon because (don't kill me, i'm a Who fan) Roger is going to start embarrassing himself pretty soon and no one wants to see that. Let's just hope he knows when times up. They've been more than generous allowing our generation to witness them live but it might be time to let go.
  • Options
    Tuolumne MamaTuolumne Mama Posts: 1,210
    He'll always be my first rocker crush with beautiful blonde curls, able to scream his lungs out and sing the next line spot on to me. I had tears in my eyes when he and Pete did Tea and Theatre. Guess to many of you I'm ancient too, even though Ed and the guys are only four years younger. I do believe he has been troubled with vocal chord problems over the years and Pete is nearly deaf now, but their music will always be genius and endearing to me.
    ======================================================================
    "What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal." Albert Pine.

• Options
    KaddikatKaddikat Posts: 1,194
    Roger sounded better on Wed nite at the rock band gig!! :D:D:D :eek: ;)
    **Get outa my way, just step aside, or pay the price ~ AC/DC**

You make me feel uncalm and I think I like it - 311

JEFF ROX MY SOX!

"Jeff is just a badass all the way across the board" ~aNiMaL~

"Chill out Kaddikat"
  • Options
    Lets talk about their lame excuse for a drummer!

;)
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    Kaddikat wrote:
    Roger sounded better on Wed nite at the rock band gig!! :D:D:D :eek: ;)
    That's because he was sick Saturday night. Got the word today at thewho.com. Yeah Rog can't sing like he used to but I don't quite think it's time to hang it up.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    Jimmydean55Jimmydean55 Posts: 1,132
    Lets talk about their lame excuse for a drummer!

;)

Good thing you're joking here, Drifitng...

We all know young Mr.Starkey kicks ass!

:)
  • Options
    digsterdigster Posts: 1,293
    I don't really feel that the Who should hang it up, considering that their last album showed they still had something in them. It wasn't as strong as their best work, but it was not embarassing by any stretch of the imagination. I think as long as a band can stay somewhat vital, they should continue. That's why I think there's life in bands like the Who and Bruce and the E Street Band, and why the Stones should hang it up.
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    I love Roger, but last night I just feel that he's lost the voice. Sometimes it happens, let's just hope it NEVER happens to Eddie.
  • Options
    digsterdigster Posts: 1,293
    Jeanwah wrote:
    I love Roger, but last night I just feel that he's lost the voice. Sometimes it happens, let's just hope it NEVER happens to Eddie.

It will...remember, Roger's pretty up there; he's older than Bruce and many others. The only singer that's his age that I can think of that sounds as good or better is Neil Young, and Neil was never a screamer. These Who songs are very hard on the vocal cords...imagine an Eddie in his mid to late 60s trying to sing Even Flow. For how old he is and the type of song's he is singing, Roger's not doing horribly.
  • Options
    writersuwritersu Posts: 1,867
    alive25 wrote:

It's weird but I thought he was a bit off too. His look is still better than most guys his age most likely, but the "preservative" look is a bit old and "Regis" like I think.

The sound was off on the concert and that was more disturbing. did anyone else notice that or was it my tv?
    Baby, You Wouldn't Last a Minute on The Creek......

Together we will float like angels.........

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
  • Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    dana_b wrote:

so why did you have to bash on him for spelling a name wrong?

you could have let that go.

with that being said, i agree. he had a bad night, but i have seen him also pull off really great shows in the past few years.

ill be a fan as long as they are around.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    Ian_LIan_L Posts: 101
    Roger sounded phenomenal to me.

I guess you had to be there. ;)
  • Options
    PJamGrunge10PJamGrunge10 California Posts: 594
    Ya know what, I was actually surprised. In a good way. I've never heard anything live by The Who so considering Roger Daltrey's age, I expected worse. He's still got some grit in his voice which most older rock frontment lose.
    Stone Gossard...riffmeister extraordinaire!

I am a man, I am advanced.....I am the first man to borrow Stone's leather pants!
  • Options
    ssdr18ssdr18 Posts: 121
    that was The Who I want to remember. If you watch vids of The who in the 70s (and ok in the 80s) they are clearly not the same. Roger's voice is pitiful. He can not hit notes anywhere near what he was able to in the past, and I am a believer in letting good memories linger, if he keeps at it, this will be what many remember. And worse to charge so much now, $325 a ticket. That is a bigger insult. Since age 12 I have been the biggest Who fan. I was one of those on line at the Zeiglfied for the opening of Tommy, the movie. and sat in front of Pete for the premier of Tommy the Broadway show. Musically they play great, but Roger's voice is done. Should Billy Jean King start playing tennis again?
  • Options
    dana_b wrote:

I love the flaming lips but they blow live. Roger did sound like ass. I heard he and pete aren't speaking at all any more.
    I like bands.
  • Options
    writersuwritersu Posts: 1,867
    I love the flaming lips but they blow live. Roger did sound like ass. I heard he and pete aren't speaking at all any more.

When I went to the rock n roll hall of fame in Ohio, they had this "Tommy" thing and it was so funny seeing Pete talk about how sick he was of seeing Roger's chest.

did anyone else catch that film on the Tommy days?
    Baby, You Wouldn't Last a Minute on The Creek......

Together we will float like angels.........

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
  • Options
    TDMize15TDMize15 Posts: 166
    I thought Baba was pretty rough last night. But I thought after that Roger sounded pretty good, especially on "Tea and Theatre".

The guy is mid 60s and has been screaming Townshend songs his whole life. His voice is rough and much deeper than it used to be, but he is still a great singer. Roger used to be a great singer with a great voice, now he's a great singer with an OK voice. His voice is definitely ragged, but I still think he does a great job with it.
    All the rusted signs, we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead...

And he who forgets, will be destined to remember...
  • Options
    Strangest TribeStrangest Tribe Posts: 2,502
    you whiny fucking pussies...

mommy mommy...... my diaper's wet

shut-up kid and just watch the goddamn rock concert and quit being a pussy
    the Minions
  • Options
    falconfalcon Posts: 163
    He's 64 years old and he's singing Baba O'Reilly! Most 64 year olds wear black socks with white shoes and move to Boca.
    Give the guy a damn break. He sounded fine to me.
    MANSFIELD 7/3/03, 7/11/03
    BOSTON 9/28/04, 9/29/04
    HARTFORD 5/13/06
    BOSTON 5/24/06
    MANSFIELD 6/28/08, 6/30/08
    EV BOSTON 8/1/08, 8/2/08
    CHICAGO 8/24/09
    HARTFORD 5/15/10
    BOSTON 5/17/10
    EV PROV 6/15/11
    WORCESTER 10/15/13, 10/16/13
    HARTFORD 10/25/13
  • Options
    TaftTaft Posts: 453
    the wolf wrote:
    so why did you have to bash on him for spelling a name wrong?

you could have let that go.

How about bashing him for starting this thread in the PEARL JAM forum and not the Other Music forum?

Did alive25 think he came up with such an awesome topic that it didn't matter where he posted? Lame.
  • Options
    Ian_LIan_L Posts: 101
    I still can't believe they cut out WGFA. :(

His scream was spot on.
  • Options
    spryguy09spryguy09 Posts: 446
    What can you expect - they're getting up there in age, but will always be the Ma'Fukin' WHO!!!
    What I did learn (or was reminded of, is a better way to put it) is how brilliant a guitarist Mr. McCready is. All the piano/audio tracks for Baba and Love Reign, Mike can rip off on the bloody guitar!!!
    Toronto Sept 96. Barrie Aug 98. Toronto Oct 00. Toronto June 03. Hamilton Sept 05. Toronto May 06. Toronto Aug 09. Toronto Sept 11. London July 13. Toronto May 16 (I & II).
    Eddie solo. Aug 08 (Massey Hall II)
  • Options
    Slip KidSlip Kid Posts: 1,175
    dude you can't even spell his name
    I just don't trust anything that bleeds for five days and doesn't die.
  • Options
    Strangest TribeStrangest Tribe Posts: 2,502
    yeah, starting a thread like this is the equivalent of taking a shit on the street in front of your home...show some respect.

tell me that nobody here wouldn't wash Roger's nutsack with a warm wet rag if he asked.
    the Minions
  • Options
    SBC03SBC03 Posts: 502
    Imagine eV in 20 yrs??
    See this needle...a see my hand...
    Drop drop dropping it down...oh so gently...
    Well here it comes...I touch the plane...
    Turn me up...won't turn you away...
  • Options
    Eliot RosewaterEliot Rosewater Posts: 2,684
    Good thing you're joking here, Drifitng...

We all know young Mr.Starkey kicks ass!

:)
    Okay...I knew he played with Johnny Marr but I didn't realize until just now that he's Ringo's kid. Crazy.