edited August 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Switched to sports talk
My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    was that a music station?

they are dying off left and right
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    81 wrote:

Yeah Rock station

• Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,393
    81 wrote:

Yeah Rock station

They tried to switch to talk before, right? And went back to tired music. Problem with that station is that it sucks.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    WMMR 93.3 still standing as a rock station

• Options
    81 wrote:

Yeah Rock station

They tried to switch to talk before, right? And went back to tired music. Problem with that station is that it sucks.
    Yeah... FREE FM... it was horrible

• Options
    One awesome thing Flyers Hockey in FM!

:thumbup:

• Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,393
    Yeah... FREE FM... it was horrible

Yep, it was.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,192
    WYSP was pretty bad. If it wasn't for Howard Stern it would been gone in the late 80s. They could never figure out a format. They always seemed to want to be a Metal station. Way too much hair band metal on that station over the years and they always had the worst DJs in the world. I don't think it will be missed much although WIP is not really much of an improvement. Adding Flyers to the FM band I would agree is good though.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,726

A shitty rock station with self-absorbed DJs.....but a rock station nonetheless.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    This was a pretty crappy station. Now there will be three sports talk stations though... Seems a little much!
  • Options

A shitty rock station with self-absorbed DJs.....but a rock station nonetheless.
    Matt Cord still there?

• Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,192

Matt Cord still there?

yes Matt is still there.
  • Options
    I like him for obvious reasons

I never understood YSP and their un dying love for METALLICA

It was a bit over the top

• Options
    rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 between a rock and a dumb place Posts: 12,632
    WWWHHHAAATTT?!?!?!!?

no way. I've been listening to WYSP (and WMMR) forever. I liked the latest - "rock that you grew up with" format that they were doing.

truly sad
  • Options
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    WWWHHHAAATTT?!?!?!!?

no way. I've been listening to WYSP (and WMMR) forever. I liked the latest - "rock that you grew up with" format that they were doing.

truly sad

I thought it was just OK

YSP has been dying a slow death for awhile now

• Options
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    WWWHHHAAATTT?!?!?!!?

truly sad

I thought it was just OK

yes, maybe they have, but I think it is more an industry thing. Stations like that are closing all over. I will miss it as I like to have a few stations to pick from that play music I like. I don't like everything WYSP or WMMR play, and I don't like talk radio, but it was nice to have a few stations on rotation while I work.

...and WYSP is playing Alive by PJ right now..
  • Options
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    WWWHHHAAATTT?!?!?!!?

truly sad

I thought it was just OK

yes, maybe they have, but I think it is more an industry thing. Stations like that are closing all over. I will miss it as I like to have a few stations to pick from that play music I like. I don't like everything WYSP or WMMR play, and I don't like talk radio, but it was nice to have a few stations on rotation while I work.

...and WYSP is playing Alive by PJ right now..

104.5 started out well but now it stinks imo

When im in the car I usually listen to my ipod mostly

It sucks how radio has died off..I remember recording songs off the radio as a kid

:lol:

• Options
    you are right. 104.5 had promise! but they play some things I like too.

i guess Video killed the radio star, then satellite radio and internet killed it even more.
  • Options
    jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    I think the switch is great. I also agree that 104.5 started out awesome and went down hill since. 93.3 is deff the better of the two. But neither rock station in Philly is really good imo.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    I think the switch is great. I also agree that 104.5 started out awesome and went down hill since. 93.3 is deff the better of the two. But neither rock station in Philly is really good imo.

They sucked us in with all the PJ they were playing in the beginning

Where's Bonaduce end up now ?

:lol:

• Options
    jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    I love the Oc md/Del stations,hate the dj's but love the tunes. Every time we go down there i say why can't are rock stations play this style. I think they get newer songs on before a bigger market like Philly does.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,849
    Oooops just posted a thread on this in the music section.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    marcosmarcos Posts: 2,111
    Does anyone remember WDRE back in the early grunge days? I think it was around 103 or something? They were really good. And MMR has some good guys with Pierre Robert and Matt Cord but I don't like the music they play either.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,258
    the only good music station in philly right now, and has been for a long time, is 88.5 and that is not nearly a debate. i can't believe how many people still listened to wysp and mmr. once mmr did away with the tenclub at 10, i was done with them.

ipod.
    sirius.

that's all you need...when you're not getting a lil sports fix every now and then.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    the only good music station in philly right now, and has been for a long time, is 88.5 and that is not nearly a debate. i can't believe how many people still listened to wysp and mmr. once mmr did away with the tenclub at 10, i was done with them.

ipod.
    sirius.

that's all you need...when you're not getting a lil sports fix every now and then.

totally agree with this post.

610 blows. Getting rid of eskin helps some...now they just need to get rid of cataldi and macknow.
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

ipod.
    sirius.

610 blows. Getting rid of eskin helps some...now they just need to get rid of cataldi and macknow.

macnow is cool.

cataldi is a turd. :mrgreen:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    The Fixer wrote:

ipod.
    sirius.

macnow is cool.

I had a few classes in college with cataldis son. real nice dude...and smart as hell. not loud or annoying like his father.

macnow is too casual of a sports fan. IF I have sports radio on I want the host to be able to tell me something I didn't already know (every time I have mike francessa on I learn something). I don't respect macknow because I feel like I know more about sports than him. He'd rather talk about TV, movies, or food.
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

macnow is cool.

I had a few classes in college with cataldis son. real nice dude...and smart as hell. not loud or annoying like his father.

macnow is too casual of a sports fan. IF I have sports radio on I want the host to be able to tell me something I didn't already know (every time I have mike francessa on I learn something). I don't respect macknow because I feel like I know more about sports than him. He'd rather talk about TV, movies, or food.

cataldi's daughter works at my company....

i liked macnow's casual style on the midday show. the other stuff he talks about (seinfeld, movies, beer, food) is stuff most guys can relate to. gargano is the more hard core sports guy. i think they work well together. him and jodi mad had the same kind of chemistry with jodi being the more knowledgable guy.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    marcos wrote:
    Does anyone remember WDRE back in the early grunge days? I think it was around 103 or something? They were really good. And MMR has some good guys with Pierre Robert and Matt Cord but I don't like the music they play either.

:thumbup:

92.7 on Long Island... Donna Donna, Malibu Sue, Larry the Duck and The Mighty Maximizer!

For fun... http://www.wlir.fm/screamers.htm
  • Options
    marcos wrote:

103.9 if i'm not mistaken....started with Alive, ended with Alive.

quite possibly the coolest radio station that ever existed. there is, or used to be, a video on youtube of their last moments on the air. whole staff had a party and were bombed out of their minds singing Alive at the top of their lungs. fucking awesome.

i miss the 90's. :mrgreen:
    chinese-happy.jpg