Up Next, the U

2»

Comments

• RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    It looks like Game Over for the U. This is why I love them though they are a case study in everything that is wrong about everything and shove it down peoples throats. Think about how illogical the NCAA is. Take a bunch of kids who have been sold out by the American educational system to the point that they value a chance at professional sports and a 2.3 year working lifespan over school, then give them FREE SCHOOL so they can take classes with kids whose parents are probably supporting the laws and government that are creating their desperate situation, and with teachers who have no idea how to reach them. On top of this you don't pay them a wage, or allow them to make money while you make money off of them. Additionally, their FREE SCHOOL is a one year renewable contract (the myth that you get 4-5 years for free is not reality) based on your health, and on-field performance. Moreover, if a new coach comes in he can just revoke your FREE SCHOOL even if you're a senior with 12 credits left to graduate. At the same time you allow T.Boone Pickens (an oil crook) to donate millions to Oklahoma State, and Phil Knight (a sneaker crook) to donate millions to Oregon with no recourse. And then we get shocked when this all fails? We get mad at the kids for taking those "improper benefits"? I hope the U has a magical season and has all sorts of celebrations involving cash signs, stripper poles, and riding boats with 3 hookers surrounding you. Likely they are headed for another 6-5 and the death penalty. Then what do they do with those kids who may have to rely on the FREE SCHOOL only to watch that go away because there is no team to get a scholarship from?
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,433
    RW81233 wrote:
    It looks like Game Over for the U. This is why I love them though they are a case study in everything that is wrong about everything and shove it down peoples throats. Think about how illogical the NCAA is. Take a bunch of kids who have been sold out by the American educational system to the point that they value a chance at professional sports and a 2.3 year working lifespan over school, then give them FREE SCHOOL so they can take classes with kids whose parents are probably supporting the laws and government that are creating their desperate situation, and with teachers who have no idea how to reach them. On top of this you don't pay them a wage, or allow them to make money while you make money off of them. Additionally, their FREE SCHOOL is a one year renewable contract (the myth that you get 4-5 years for free is not reality) based on your health, and on-field performance. Moreover, if a new coach comes in he can just revoke your FREE SCHOOL even if you're a senior with 12 credits left to graduate. At the same time you allow T.Boone Pickens (an oil crook) to donate millions to Oklahoma State, and Phil Knight (a sneaker crook) to donate millions to Oregon with no recourse. And then we get shocked when this all fails? We get mad at the kids for taking those "improper benefits"? I hope the U has a magical season and has all sorts of celebrations involving cash signs, stripper poles, and riding boats with 3 hookers surrounding you. Likely they are headed for another 6-5 and the death penalty. Then what do they do with those kids who may have to rely on the FREE SCHOOL only to watch that go away because there is no team to get a scholarship from?

here you go again :roll: poor exploited athletes getting free hummers (cars and uhh the other type). i feel so much sympathy for the players who play for these big time programs -puh-leeze. you're arguments might have merit at the lower levels and non-BCS schools but trust me the benefits these athletes get as 'scholarship' athletes at these universities far outweigh the negatives.
    From what sort of experience are you coming from? Did you go to one of these schools? I went to Maryland for 7 years, and can say those kids definitely did not have it easy - completely altered my perception of even those programs.
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    Can't say I'm shocked but WOW

NCAA is so dirty
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    RW81233 wrote:
    From what sort of experience are you coming from? Did you go to one of these schools? I went to Maryland for 7 years, and can say those kids definitely did not have it easy - completely altered my perception of even those programs.

what was hard for them?

shall we list some of the benefits off the top of my head they get (whether half or more choose to use them or not) lets see---free tutors, 'athlete-friendly' professors, team meals (of a much higher quality than standard college cafeteria food), free gear like shoes and sweatshits, woman and parties whenever and wherever, if they graduate easy access to alumni/jobs, lack of college loan debt in their future...and that's just about 30 seconds of thought worth of things they get over regular students.

edit: and not to mention that 90% of them would never sniff the inside of the colleges they get into if not for the athletic ability. and i have nothing wrong with allowing atheltes into a school but they ones that do choose to use it correctly can get a degree at a level most likely wouldn't have had the opportunity to attain if not for them being 'exploited' on scholarships'
    pjhawks wrote:
    RW81233 wrote:

what was hard for them?

shall we list some of the benefits off the top of my head they get (whether half or more choose to use them or not) lets see---free tutors, 'athlete-friendly' professors, team meals (of a much higher quality than standard college cafeteria food), free gear like shoes and sweatshits, woman and parties whenever and wherever, if they graduate easy access to alumni/jobs, lack of college loan debt in their future...and that's just about 30 seconds of thought worth of things they get over regular students.

edit: and not to mention that 90% of them would never sniff the inside of the colleges they get into if not for the athletic ability. and i have nothing wrong with allowing atheltes into a school but they ones that do choose to use it correctly can get a degree at a level most likely wouldn't have had the opportunity to attain if not for them being 'exploited' on scholarships'
    Just for frame of reference I had several athletes over all sports, some were great some were bad, but just from football I had: D'Qwell Jackson, Nick Novak, Jordan Steffy, Josh Allen (my fave), Josh Wilson (2nd fave), Do'rell Scott, and Alex Wocjiak to name a few. I'm not name dropping to do it (none of these are real good pros outside of Jackson), but rather to say these kids were the best at the school and they did not have a whole lot of fun outside of the team. Wilson once wrote a fantastic article for the Diamondback when he was in my bowling class showing how "easy" it is to be a college athlete. Found it: http://www.diamondbackonline.com/2.2792 ... s-1.294563
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    RW81233 wrote:
    . Wilson once wrote a fantastic article for the Diamondback when he was in my bowling class showing how "easy" it is to be a college athlete. Found it: http://www.diamondbackonline.com/2.2792 ... s-1.294563

:roll: cry me a river.

bowling class? :lol: makes my skeet shooting class look like rocket science.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    you have to take a certain amount of activity courses to graduate from UMD...basically all are taught by grad assistants. i don't think wilson was asking you to feel bad for him, he just basically debunked your mythological "great time" that athletes have. where are you getting your info that being a student athlete at a big school is all fun and games?
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    RW81233 wrote:
    where are you getting your info that being a student athlete at a big school is all fun and games?

http://news.yahoo.com/photos/y-sports-p ... slideshow/

;):lol:
    RW81233 wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:
    RW81233 wrote:

what was hard for them?

Just for frame of reference I had several athletes over all sports, some were great some were bad, but just from football I had: D'Qwell Jackson, Nick Novak, Jordan Steffy, Josh Allen (my fave), Josh Wilson (2nd fave), Do'rell Scott, and Alex Wocjiak to name a few. I'm not name dropping to do it (none of these are real good pros outside of Jackson), but rather to say these kids were the best at the school and they did not have a whole lot of fun outside of the team. Wilson once wrote a fantastic article for the Diamondback when he was in my bowling class showing how "easy" it is to be a college athlete. Found it: http://www.diamondbackonline.com/2.2792 ... s-1.294563

read the article. 1st he tries to compare a regular student paying up to $100,000 to attend Maryland to him having to be in the dorms in January which makes his educaiton not 'free'? wow ok. secondly he mention s 'free' dinner he has to attend. i'm sure the mommy and daddy's of those students paying $100,000 wouldn't mind some of those free 'dinners'. as for his schedule plenty of college students put in almost as much time WORKING at a real job to help pay for college as he does on football. i mean he has be awake from 5:30 am until like 9:00 pm working on school and football which is like so hard. i guess none of the rest of the students at aryland have to work to help pay bills and such. this dude has no perspective of what real middle class type students go through.
    RW81233 wrote:
    you have to take a certain amount of activity courses to graduate from UMD...basically all are taught by grad assistants. i don't think wilson was asking you to feel bad for him, he just basically debunked your mythological "great time" that athletes have. where are you getting your info that being a student athlete at a big school is all fun and games?
    For not having any free time, you would think there wouldnt be time for strip clubs

I was going to take a scuba class as an elective but couldnt afford the extra fee. Do student athelets get those fees covered
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 I actually think they do get those covered. Again you guys are saying $100k-$250k in free education, and that's not completely true. Say you go to Maryland and it's $30k for tuition out of state. You get $30k plus those extra bennies you talk about (I'm sure some schools have more beneficial things than others) for one academic year. If you get injured and can no longer play, fall out of favor with the coach, don't perform well on the field (regardless of academic effort), the coach gets fired and a new one comes in, etc. you don't get your scholarship renewed. So it's not a 4 year promise, it's a 1 year promise. a

On top of that what Wilson is saying is that being a student-athlete is not a fun and games. It's hard work...I had to pay part of my way through Ithaca College (a private school) and never worked from 5.30am-9pm at night. For many of my classmates mommy and daddy paid for their full-ride so they didn't have to work at all (or go to class much). I worked extra jobs and had to do things on the side, but nothing like that. He never asked for sympathy either, just gave an actual understanding of what's going on for him. Do some people have it harder than I did or he did yes. At the same time is the school using that middle-working class kids likeness to garner millions of dollars? I don't think so. I suppose that's a key question: what did you do for your University that equals what they did?

As I said before Miami is the apex of crazy. Rich alums, boosters, and students with cash and connections meshing with athletes that come from the primarily poor areas surrounding the campus is going to lead to stuff like this. My original comment is that we shouldn't be surprised given the context of the situation.
    on a lighter note at least we know where Ryan Braun got the nickname Hebrew Hammer :lol:
    RW81233 wrote:
    81 I actually think they do get those covered. Again you guys are saying $100k-$250k in free education, and that's not completely true. Say you go to Maryland and it's $30k for tuition out of state. You get $30k plus those extra bennies you talk about (I'm sure some schools have more beneficial things than others) for one academic year. If you get injured and can no longer play, fall out of favor with the coach, don't perform well on the field (regardless of academic effort), the coach gets fired and a new one comes in, etc. you don't get your scholarship renewed. So it's not a 4 year promise, it's a 1 year promise. a

On top of that what Wilson is saying is that being a student-athlete is not a fun and games. It's hard work...I had to pay part of my way through Ithaca College (a private school) and never worked from 5.30am-9pm at night. For many of my classmates mommy and daddy paid for their full-ride so they didn't have to work at all (or go to class much). I worked extra jobs and had to do things on the side, but nothing like that. He never asked for sympathy either, just gave an actual understanding of what's going on for him. Do some people have it harder than I did or he did yes. At the same time is the school using that middle-working class kids likeness to garner millions of dollars? I don't think so. I suppose that's a key question: what did you do for your University that equals what they did?

As I said before Miami is the apex of crazy. Rich alums, boosters, and students with cash and connections meshing with athletes that come from the primarily poor areas surrounding the campus is going to lead to stuff like this. My original comment is that we shouldn't be surprised given the context of the situation.

if it's so hard, than perhaps he should have just gone to class and skipped out on football.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    RW81233 wrote:

1) again 99.9% of parents paying for their children's education would kill for one free year.

2)and you've used the argument of how much money the school makes on these athletes before. 1st off that is the price of a free education. we give you a free education and you perform an athletic service to help offset that cost. simple business transaction. players don't have to accept that deal if they don't choose.

3) as for accepting the boosters gifts and such i don't think it's a economic situation leading to that. i grew up in a suburban middle-class area and played high school sports and if i was good enough to have been recruited i would have been right there with these players taking the perks. and i would have known of the consequences if i got caught which means unlike the Terrelle Pryor's of the world i wouldn't complain i was exploited after the fact.
    pjhawks wrote:
    RW81233 wrote:

1) again 99.9% of parents paying for their children's education would kill for one free year.

2)and you've used the argument of how much money the school makes on these athletes before. 1st off that is the price of a free education. we give you a free education and you perform an athletic service to help offset that cost. simple business transaction. players don't have to accept that deal if they don't choose.

3) as for accepting the boosters gifts and such i don't think it's a economic situation leading to that. i grew up in a suburban middle-class area and played high school sports and if i was good enough to have been recruited i would have been right there with these players taking the perks. and i would have known of the consequences if i got caught which means unlike the Terrelle Pryor's of the world i wouldn't complain i was exploited after the fact.

1) Many, not all, of these kids come from poor backgrounds and can't afford to go to the school they started playing at. Case in point, Josh Allen tore his ACL in 2004/5, and was done with football. They took away his scholarship. 3 years later I see him going into his senior thesis class and asked him what took him so long, he said he had to go save for 2 years just to afford the tuition to graduate. Great kid, very good student, got his "free education" taken from him even though he gave 3+ years of football to the school. You are making it sounds as if the NCAA is benevolent in all this. They are a bunch of crusty old motherfuckers looking for a way to extract every ounce of profit from the bodies performing on the field that they can. Then they kick them to the curb. They don't care about the "free education" they trumpet about, they care about the money. And when someone breaks their arbitrarily set rules they punish a bunch of kids, families, etc.

2) The reason I've used this argument before is because it's a very valid argument. A business transaction would be one where a negotiation happens, and there are viable options outside of that transaction. Here the kid takes it or leaves it. What better/alternative option do the kids have? I mean could the kids say "take your "free education" and give me the $30k instead"? No. So essentially the NCAA operates as a cartel where they decide the terms upon which its "performers" get 'reimbursed'. To legally operate as a cartel like MLB, NBA, NFL, and the NHL the terms upon which performers get reimbursed and all the bylaws etc. are Collectively Bargained between owners and players. There is no semblance of that in the NCAA they power is with one side, and it's technically illegal. If the players unionized they could sue the shit outta the NCAA and it would crumble.

3) You are correct. K2 was in those photos, and I'm pretty sure he was brought up with money. Rich kids would and make the same mistakes. However being rich means you have more of a decision to make right? I mean this is your fun vs. your image. For a poor kid it may be the difference between putting food on their family's table vs. their image. We are talking about degrees of exploitation here (I mean even A-Rod is exploited by the Steinbrenner's b/c he makes them more than he gets paid - even though his level of exploitation is much less than that of the extremely poor kid who has no other chance in life but playing college football). The same mistake may not be made for the same reason.
    so when does the death penalty come down?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    81 wrote:
    time to start working on naming the OSU/Miami matchup

The Infraction Bowl
    The Booster Bowl
    The Tats/Stripper Bowl
    The Disgrace Bowl

The Boats and Hoes Bowl

Poor Al Golden. I genuinely feel bad for the guy

Miami ain't getting the death penalty. Aren't they supposed to build a new stadium (I know they knocked the orange bowl down to make room for the new Marlins stadium)?? If that team goes away so does ACC football. Ain't gonna happen
    The Fixer wrote:
    81 wrote:

The Infraction Bowl
    The Booster Bowl
    The Tats/Stripper Bowl
    The Disgrace Bowl

The Boats and Hoes Bowl

Miami ain't getting the death penalty. Aren't they supposed to build a new stadium (I know they knocked the orange bowl down to make room for the new Marlins stadium)?? If that team goes away so does ACC football. Ain't gonna happen

nice article on why they won't get it.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... th-penalty
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,572
    the reverend was out in full force today, eh? :lol:
    www.myspace.com
    i didn't mention race once...i think it was the Karl Marx in me that was out in full force today
    RW81233 wrote:
    i didn't mention race once...i think it was the Karl Marx in me that was out in full force today

it was implied i'm sure. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    81 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    81 wrote:

The Infraction Bowl
    The Booster Bowl
    The Tats/Stripper Bowl
    The Disgrace Bowl

The Boats and Hoes Bowl

nice article on why they won't get it.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... th-penalty

I wonder if the downfall of a high profile program like miami would finally steer the corrupt NCAA towards implementing a playoff system (or folding the NCAA altogehter as the author mentions).

How ironic would that be? the NCAA buries miami, in turn burying itself. Now I know what I'm hoping for. That would be tremendous
    The Fixer wrote:
    I wonder if the downfall of a high profile program like miami would finally steer the corrupt NCAA towards implementing a playoff system (or folding the NCAA altogehter as the author mentions).

How ironic would that be? the NCAA buries miami, in turn burying itself. Now I know what I'm hoping for. That would be tremendous

it'll be interesting, but i doubt the ncaa is going away anytime soon, even if they kill miami.

now the talk of the 64 team mega confrence would be interesting.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    I like the idea someone had above about just having a semi-pro league, but another person brought up the fact that the traditional rivalries would be gone. How about this make it so they just play on the college campuses, the players wouldn't have to be students or anything they are just there to represent the school in name only...oh wait.
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    The Fixer wrote:
    81 wrote:

The Infraction Bowl
    The Booster Bowl
    The Tats/Stripper Bowl
    The Disgrace Bowl

The Boats and Hoes Bowl

Good point about the ACC.....wonder what effect SMU's time in the Death Penalty Pokey contributed to the demise of the old SWC?
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
    RW81233 wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:
    RW81233 wrote:

1) Many, not all, of these kids come from poor backgrounds and can't afford to go to the school they started playing at. Case in point, Josh Allen tore his ACL in 2004/5, and was done with football. They took away his scholarship. 3 years later I see him going into his senior thesis class and asked him what took him so long, he said he had to go save for 2 years just to afford the tuition to graduate. Great kid, very good student, got his "free education" taken from him even though he gave 3+ years of football to the school. You are making it sounds as if the NCAA is benevolent in all this. They are a bunch of crusty old motherfuckers looking for a way to extract every ounce of profit from the bodies performing on the field that they can. Then they kick them to the curb. They don't care about the "free education" they trumpet about, they care about the money. And when someone breaks their arbitrarily set rules they punish a bunch of kids, families, etc.

2) The reason I've used this argument before is because it's a very valid argument. A business transaction would be one where a negotiation happens, and there are viable options outside of that transaction. Here the kid takes it or leaves it. What better/alternative option do the kids have? I mean could the kids say "take your "free education" and give me the $30k instead"? No. So essentially the NCAA operates as a cartel where they decide the terms upon which its "performers" get 'reimbursed'. To legally operate as a cartel like MLB, NBA, NFL, and the NHL the terms upon which performers get reimbursed and all the bylaws etc. are Collectively Bargained between owners and players. There is no semblance of that in the NCAA they power is with one side, and it's technically illegal. If the players unionized they could sue the shit outta the NCAA and it would crumble.

3) You are correct. K2 was in those photos, and I'm pretty sure he was brought up with money. Rich kids would and make the same mistakes. However being rich means you have more of a decision to make right? I mean this is your fun vs. your image. For a poor kid it may be the difference between putting food on their family's table vs. their image. We are talking about degrees of exploitation here (I mean even A-Rod is exploited by the Steinbrenner's b/c he makes them more than he gets paid - even though his level of exploitation is much less than that of the extremely poor kid who has no other chance in life but playing college football). The same mistake may not be made for the same reason.

do you feel the same about non-revenue sports? wouldn't they be exploited just as much or more or is the so-called exploitation strictly from a financial standpoint? the supposed 'the school makes money off said player'. at least in the revenue sports of football and basketball if you perform at a high level you garner publicity that can lead to a financial benefit in endorsements and such unlike say a woman's field hockey player. and women's field hockey players are under the same year-to-year scholarship pressures or is it not an issue because most women's field hockey players come from middle-class to well-to-do backgrounds?

i respect your passion for this topic. clearly we are on opposite sides of opinion. Let me say that in no way do i think the colleges and the NCAA are clean or always above-ground in their dealings with these kids but if used correctly these kids and their parents can end up getting a pretty good deal and a deal that 90% of normal middle class parents would kill for. and using your story above any rational parent would say getting 3 free years of education is a pretty damn good deal even if you had to pay for year 4. bottom line is said player ended up getting a college degree he most likely wouldn't have ended up with if not for said 3-year football scholarship. i also think the amount of kids who use it to their advantages outweighs the numbers who don't. and the number of kids being exploited are far less than those not in my opinion.