Rise of the planet of the apes...

Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
edited December 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Anyone seen it? Opinions? Worth it?
Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• maj4emaj4e Posts: 605
    um.. I'll pass.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i thought the trailer looked solid. i might catch a mantinee if i can find something else to watch after it.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    watched it at work yesterday (fake dvd) ....i thought it would be bettter...

as soon as it got good...it ended 10 minutes later :?
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • NoCode416NoCode416 Posts: 416
    my brother said it was decent... i thought they did a fantastic job with the trailer...
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    NoCode416 wrote:
    my brother said it was decent... i thought they did a fantastic job with the trailer...

as usual..those were the few good parts
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    girl-biting-fingernails.gif
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329
    I'm a big fan of the entire series, minus the 2001 movie which was horrible. I thought Rise was very good. (4.5 out of 5). The references to the original movie were great and had me chuckling to myself.

I'd say if you're a fan it's a must see.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    I'm a big fan of the entire series, minus the 2001 movie which was horrible. I thought Rise was very good. (4.5 out of 5). The references to the original movie were great and had me chuckling to myself.

I'd say if you're a fan it's a must see.

Check the Movie Thread. Few comments about 'Rise'.

I loved the movie, thought it was one of the best films made in recent years. I don't think someone needs to be a fan of the originals to love or understand 'Rise' rather have a good/decent grasp on 'life' and the 'nature of man'. That should be enough for someone to really get into the movie.
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,796
    I liked it
  • Dru_CortezDru_Cortez Posts: 953
    I'm a big fan of the entire series, minus the 2001 movie which was horrible.
    I never can comprehend
    why even fans of the franchise seem to have
    so much hate on for Tim Burton's 2001 film.
    Granted, I'm a sucker for ANYTHING with
    Helena Bonham Carter!
    Anyways, I look forward to 'Rise,'
    but I reckon I'll wait for the DVD.
    Cheers.
    'Cause you don't give blood and take it back again.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Dru_Cortez wrote:
    I'm a big fan of the entire series, minus the 2001 movie which was horrible.
    I never can comprehend
    why even fans of the franchise seem to have
    so much hate on for Tim Burton's 2001 film.
    Granted, I'm a sucker for ANYTHING with
    Helena Bonham Carter!
    Anyways, I look forward to 'Rise,'
    but I reckon I'll wait for the DVD.
    Cheers.

i'm not a fan of the series, but tossed on that 2001 film sunday night. i could only stomach 2 minutes of it before moving on to a different show. brutal
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,811
    probably see it next week. Looks ok, heard it was pretty good though.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    really-ugly-face.jpg
  • brother123brother123 Posts: 792
    might have to check out the usual places to see if theres a good copy around
  • threefish10threefish10 Posts: 7,392
    brother123 wrote:

I watched a fairly decent copy last night. The only thing that was a bit annoying was it had dutch subtitles on the screen for the whole movie. But the film was in English and such. but it got a bit distracting at times, and there was one or two small parts that the ape signed and an English subtitle came up but it was cover by the Dutch.

As for the movie I thought it was great, but like someone else said I was watching and it was kinda not going anywhere and I realised there was like half an hour left and I was thinking they better wrap this up quick, and they did. The last 15-20 minutes was the most monkey breaking shit type action the rest was setting up to that. But it does look like there will be some sort of sequel.
    condescending and sarcastic since 1980
  • brother123brother123 Posts: 792
    brother123 wrote:

I watched a fairly decent copy last night. The only thing that was a bit annoying was it had dutch subtitles on the screen for the whole movie. But the film was in English and such. but it got a bit distracting at times, and there was one or two small parts that the ape signed and an English subtitle came up but it was cover by the Dutch.

As for the movie I thought it was great, but like someone else said I was watching and it was kinda not going anywhere and I realised there was like half an hour left and I was thinking they better wrap this up quick, and they did. The last 15-20 minutes was the most monkey breaking shit type action the rest was setting up to that. But it does look like there will be some sort of sequel.

might give it a week or two for an IMAGINE version
  • B-RockB-Rock Posts: 149
    I thought it was a great movie!

As a fan of the Ape movies I quite enjoyed watching Rise.

Could of been a tad more action though.
    Sydney 8-11-06, 18-11-06; Melbourne 20-11-09, Sydney 22-11-09, Manchester 20-06-12, 21-06-12
  • A friend of mine saw it last night and says it is worth it, up there with Jurassic Park...
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    Saw it at the drive in last night. Was really good.

The actor that was Gollum in LOTR played Caesar.

Lots of good laughs in it.
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    It's one of the better movies I've seen in a long time. I really liked the evolution of Cesar and his rise to being a leader. I was rooting for the apes to win the whole time.
  • Saw it yesterday - great flick. Made me wish I was a chimpanzee.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Saw it yesterday - great flick. Made me wish I was a chimpanzee.

:lol:

while discussing the new movie with my father last week and whether i would see it or not, i told him how the originals made me want to be a chimpanzee. he replied,is that right? clearly thinking he has a weirdo for a daughter.

saw 'rise' and i thought it was great. i loved the 'battle' scene on the bridge and i loved caesars frustration... and gosh i hope tom felton doesnt get typecast as an arsehole for the rest of his career... with this and harry pothead, its a possibility. anyhoo....

... i also liked how it set up the annihiliation of the human race.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    A friend of mine saw it last night and says it is worth it, up there with Jurassic Park...

aww jeez i dunno... jurassic park is a classic... seeing those dinosaurs brought tears to my eyes. but yeah cant see where they go with the next one.

SPOILER~ALERT!!!!!!!!

when he yelled out NO, my breath caught in my throat. so awesome.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    gonna see it later today
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,242
    It was very good ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    gonna see it later today

i enjoyed it very much. Thought it was cool that they filmed it in San Fran since i was just there a few days ago. Even more cooler that they filmed part of it in Muir Woods which I was also at :) Obviously there will be a sequel. I kinda feel bad for Tom Felton. He is not gonna get cast for anyone "good", First Draco and now this "a-hole"
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    a lot better than i thought it was gonna be, but you can probably wait and rent it

some of it was a little / very cheesy

SPOILER ALERT

Especially when harry potter kid said heston's line... and caesar's last line
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    A friend of mine saw it last night and says it is worth it, up there with Jurassic Park...

aww jeez i dunno... jurassic park is a classic... seeing those dinosaurs brought tears to my eyes. but yeah cant see where they go with the next one.

SPOILER~ALERT!!!!!!!!

when he yelled out NO, my breath caught in my throat. so awesome.

Great scene! me too! I think most people in the audience gasped loudly at that part. It was crazy! Love the movie,

Jurassic Park is a classic for sure!..But I think they messed up on the sequels big time.
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    a lot better than i thought it was gonna be, but you can probably wait and rent it

SPOILER ALERT

Especially when harry potter kid said heston's line... and caesar's last line
    I didn't think that line was cheesy at all.. Had it not been in the original, no one would even have noticed. It fit.

I really hope we get at least two more quality films out of this. I don't know what is planned, but I think a trilogy is in order..

Rise of Planet of the Apes
    Planet of the Apes?
    Fall of Planet of the Apes??

SPOILER ALERT

Especially when harry potter kid said heston's line...
    and caesar's last line

oh god yeah i groaned very audibly at that one.

and ummm no way did i ever get an inkling that the neighbour was a friggin' pilot.. did i miss something?????
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say