Options

London's fucked

Comments

• Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    redrock wrote:
    It's great posting all these lyrics but in the meantime, reality means that two of my drivers have been assaulted (one in hospital), a friend had his business burnt down, another one his car torched (he is self employed and needs the car for work). Non of these people are rich, two of them have had their livelyhood taken away from them. Insurances probably won't pay for their material loss either.

There is no excuse for this.

A lot of people always get hurt when the Tories are in Power - some directly, some indirectly.
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Tories or not Byrnzie, it's fucking yobs. Nothing to do with politics or their 'circumstances'. Yobs, pure and simple. Whether there is a tory or a labour or whatever government. Many riots under labour as well (Handsworth, Birmingham, Leeds, etc....). These pieces of shit are intent on destruction/looting, etc. and will find any excuse to do so.
  • Options
    redrock wrote:
    Tories or not Byrnzie, it's fucking yobs. Nothing to do with politics or their 'circumstances'. Yobs, pure and simple. Whether there is a tory or a labour or whatever government. Many riots under labour as well (Handsworth, Birmingham, Leeds, etc....). These pieces of shit are intent on destruction/looting, etc. and will find any excuse to do so.

I suppose that's one way to dismiss them all.

Either way, the people of the inner cities can't just be brushed under the carpet.
  • Options
    Decent article here on the problems that have led to this riots:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... unexpected

If the rioting was a surprise, people weren't looking

Yes, indefensible – but not unexpected. Clear signs of deep problems in our youth were ignored as being a black problem

Stafford Scott
    guardian.co.uk, Monday 8 August 2011

It's usual practice when someone is killed that their personal details are not made public until the next of kin has been informed. Mark Duggan's family saw in headlines that he had been killed as a result of a "terrifying shoot-out". Why such a difference in treatment? I was one of those who went to Tottenham police station on Saturday, with members of his family, to get an official acknowledgement that Mark had been killed. No official confirmation had been given to the family. As a community we were outraged they were being treated with such disregard by both the Met and the IPCC.

Why, 10 years after the Macpherson inquiry reported on institutional racism in the Met, should it still occur? We are from Tottenham: we have seen Cynthia Jarrett, Joy Gardner and Roger Sylvester killed by the police and do not expect finite answers from an investigation that has barely begun. All we really wanted was an explanation of what was going on. We needed to hear directly from the police. We waited for hours outside the station for a senior officer to speak with the family, in a demonstration led by young women. A woman-only delegation went into the station, as we wanted to ensure that this did not become confrontational. It was when the young women, many with children, decided to call it a day that the atmosphere changed, and guys in the crowd started to voice and then act out their frustrations.

I am appalled, dismayed and horrified by the level of destruction that took place. I wouldn't defend the indefensible; however I would like to provide an insight into the mindset of someone willing to burn down their own neighbourhood as I believe that on this point, little has changed since the disturbances on Broadwater Farm 26 years ago.

To behave in this manner young people have to believe they have no stake in the neighbourhood, and consequently no stake in wider society. This belief is compounded when it becomes a reality over generations, as it has done for some. If the riots at the weekend and the disturbances around London today have come as a surprise to the police and that wider society, the warning signs have long been there for those of us who engage with black youths.

First, looting comes from the belief that if you cannot get equality and cannot expect justice, then you better make sure that you "get paid". "It's all about the money!" is the motto of too many young black men, who have given up all hope of attainment in a white man's world. This is an absolute belief for those looting at the weekend – borne not only out of their experiences but their parents', too. They want to follow the rappers and athletes who live ghetto-fabulous lifestyles based on natural talents, as opposed to learned skills. They can't see that coming through education: those who live on estates generally survive from one wage packet to the next. Sadly this mindset also makes it easier to legitimise the selling of drugs, as that too "brings in the money".

Another sign was when they allowed themselves to be referred to by the n-word. They weren't simply seeking to reclaim a word. They were telling the world that they were the offspring of the "field negro", not the trained "house negro" from slavery days. The field negro's sole intent was to escape, and maybe even to cause a little damage to the master and his property.

A third obvious sign of major discontent was the creation of gangs and the start of the postcode wars. Yet all of these signs were largely unheeded by wider society: all perceived to be a black problem. It's black kids killing black kids, so it's our problem to address.

On Saturday, instead of imploding and turning inward and violent among themselves, as they have been doing for the past decade, the youths exploded. The trigger may well have been the killing of Mark Duggan and the insensitive treatment of his family, but this has been brewing for some time. The government cuts – especially the withdrawal of EMA; the new barrier of tuition fees; and rising youth unemployment have all added to their sense of isolation and lack of a stake in society.

Beyond all this, the Met also has to explain to the people of Tottenham just how it allowed this to happen. Since the 1990s I have engaged with the Met and gained a working knowledge of some of its operational processes, and I know of none that can be described as "let's just leave them to it". The police seemed intent on protecting the police station, leaving everything north of it free for the rioters to loot or destroy.

More cynical community members suggest the Met might have been playing politics. The more the police stood off, the bolder the youths became. Some question whether disturbances mean police can turn to government, and dare it to cut their numbers in a time of civil unrest. But I believe that just as they bungled the operation to arrest Mark Duggan, and bungled the way they broke the news, they bungled it again.
  • Options
    It's really not surprising that when the Tories carry out a sustained attack on the poor of Britain in order to bail out their rich banker buddies, that people's anger levels rise. Big cuts in social services...cuts in welfare payments...a tripling of university tuition fees, e.t.c.

A black man was shot in the face by police who weren't under attack - a gun was later found wrapped in a sock, so it clearly hadn't been fired - and then his family are snubbed for two days after the incident and then kept standing around outside a police station for five hours waiting for answers. Then the police attack a 16 year old girl in the street and beat her up, putting her in hospital.

And people wonder why the inner cities are now burning?
  • Options
    guypjfreakguypjfreak Posts: 2,281
    mindless thugs i hope anyone living anywhere near these riots stays safe :(
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Two songs for today...

The Clash - London's Burning
    Sex Pistols - Anarchy in the U.K
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Byrnzie wrote:
    It's really not surprising that when the Tories carry out a sustained attack on the poor of Britain in order to bail out their rich banker buddies, that people's anger levels rise. Big cuts in social services...cuts in welfare payments...a tripling of university tuition fees, e.t.c.

A black man was shot in the face by police who weren't under attack - a gun was later found wrapped in a sock, so it clearly hadn't been fired - and then his family are snubbed for two days after the incident and then kept standing around outside a police station for five hours waiting for answers. Then the police attack a 16 year old girl in the street and beat her up, putting her in hospital.

And people wonder why the inner cities are now burning?

so you think its the police because they shot a man in the chest (his girfriend says he was shot in the chest) after the Police appeal for him to put down his gun? But yet you dont question why the guy had a gun in the 1st place?

Dunno about you my old amigo... but if I was faced with someone who had a gun and might or might not use it then i too would shoot them.

Anyway, the rioting and looting is simple criminality of the worst kind... you're posting articles by the Guardian and the irony being that 93.8% of these guys don't even know such a paper exists.... it's like saying that the looting of L.A. was by disgruntled youths who had been disenfranchised and hurt by the beating of Rodney King when in actuality it was because they could go out and break shit and perhaps they might get to come home with a new TV.

The Tory-Lib coalition has been in charge for one year... the disaffected youth take longer than that to get their heckles up... also these looters and thugs have no concern about the University price rises.. but of course they will have a concern over their welfare being cut as that's what they use to pay for their SKY TV.

Their is a massive difference between rioting for political freedom, dissatisfaction of government, etc etc... and what is happening in London now... even the Duggan family have stressed that they would never want this... its opportunistic thuggery at best.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    Byrnzie wrote:
    redrock wrote:

I suppose that's one way to dismiss them all.

Either way, the people of the inner cities can't just be brushed under the carpet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Gex_ya4 ... e=youtu.be

seriously everyone should watch this... this is the level of people we're dealing with... not hard-up Uni students who can't afford the fees... or political activists fed up of a govt cutting costs all over the place... these people are degenerate scum intent on causing chaos 'cos they fink its a larf innit'
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    tumblr_lpnmybPA4T1r1pwklo1_400.jpg

a retard stealing a big bag of value rice.

fucking tit :D
  • Options
    http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/co ... 33991.html

from a lady on the 'shopfloor' as such and not some Guardian reporter sitting in his office.

read the bit about the Facebook messages, etc ... "come get free stuff" and all that.

Thats the point of this... they want to loot, not demonstrate
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    so you think its the police because they shot a man in the chest (his girfriend says he was shot in the chest) after the Police appeal for him to put down his gun? But yet you dont question why the guy had a gun in the 1st place?

His gun was found later at the scene wrapped in a sock. Therefore the police were not under attack when they shot him dead. So why did they use lethal force?
    Not that it all boils down to this though. People's anger was stoked by the fact that the police then proceeded to ignore all enquiries into what happened by members of his family, and kept them waiting outside the police station for five hours until things kicked off. And they kicked off when five police beat up a sixteen year old girl outside the police station who was shouting at them. They beat her up in front of everyone and left her bloodied and battered in the street.

dunkman wrote:
    The Tory-Lib coalition has been in charge for one year... the disaffected youth take longer than that to get their heckles up... also these looters and thugs have no concern about the University price rises.. but of course they will have a concern over their welfare being cut as that's what they use to pay for their SKY TV.

Their is a massive difference between rioting for political freedom, dissatisfaction of government, etc etc... and what is happening in London now... even the Duggan family have stressed that they would never want this... its opportunistic thuggery at best.

According to the people effected, the cutbacks of social services and welfare e.t.c have already hit hard.

Anyway, I'm not pretending it's as cut-and-dry as that. Obvioudsly mopst of these people are smashing up shops, attacking the police, and nicking stuff simply because it's fun. There's a lot of resentment against the police and the state by the people who have been most fucked by them all these years. It's only natural and expected when every 20 or so years they take their frustrations out onto the streets. Maybe we should try building a society that's less divided, and more equal?
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    white riot, I wanna riot, white riot, a riot of my own.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    Byrnzie wrote:
    dunkman wrote:

His gun was found later at the scene wrapped in a sock. Therefore the police were not under attack when they shot him dead. So why did they use lethal force?
    Not that it all boils down to this though. People's anger was stoked by the fact that the police then proceeded to ignore all enquiries into what happened by members of his family, and kept them waiting outside the police station for five hours until things kicked off. And they kicked off when five police beat up a sixteen year old girl outside the police station who was shouting at them. They beat her up in front of everyone and left her bloodied and battered in the street.

This the same 16 year old girl who threw bricks at the police? hmmmmm ... you reap what you sow.

Byrnzie wrote:
    dunkman wrote:

There is a massive difference between rioting for political freedom, dissatisfaction of government, etc etc... and what is happening in London now... even the Duggan family have stressed that they would never want this... its opportunistic thuggery at best.

According to the people effected, the cutbacks of social services and welfare e.t.c have already hit hard.

Anyway, I'm not pretending it's as cut-and-dry as that. Obvioudsly mopst of these people are smashing up shops, attacking the police, and nicking stuff simply because it's fun. There's a lot of resentment against the police and the state by the people who have been most fucked by them all these years. It's only natural and expected when every 20 or so years they take their frustrations out onto the streets. Maybe we should try building a society that's less divided, and more equal?

the people affected? I too would be fucking annoyed if someone cut my benefits after 14 years of sitting on my arse watching Sky Sports... imagine having to buy Tesco's basic lager instead of Stella... that kind of indignity would have me rioting as well... ;)

as for a more equal society.... of course we should... but you're speaking of a Utopian society that will never happen... Black people and Asian people are equally as racist as White people... subconsciously or consciously... the main thrust of this rioting/looting is exactly what you said above... its fun.

Community leaders are against it, youth workers, social groups, etc...

p.s. if you do plan on joining them Byrnzie... get me a Xbox360 big man... there's a sweetheart ;);)
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,590
    Would anyone be surprised if we started seeing riots here in America? I wouldn't. You push people down for so long and pretty soon that anger builds up and people have nothing to lose. It only takes a spark.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    ComeToTX wrote:
    Would anyone be surprised if we started seeing riots here in America? I wouldn't. You push people down for so long and pretty soon that anger builds up and people have nothing to lose. It only takes a spark.

i wouldn't be suprised...and not because of anger. look at vancouver, that wasn't anger, that was just kids being douche bags.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,179
    ComeToTX wrote:
    i have a bad feeling that we will start to see it here too.

i hope the streets of london will be quiet soon. wanton property destruction does nothing but make everyone angry. if this was really about protesting the government or protesting the police then these riots should be directed not at private businesses or property, but rather at police buildings or government buildings. but of course people will not attack the police because that is where all of the guns, bullets, teargas, riot gear, heavy armored vehicles, and the jails are...

i am all for civil disobedience, just have a good reason for it.

mob action for no good reason is no good at all.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    mikepegg44mikepegg44 Posts: 3,353
    ComeToTX wrote:
    i have a bad feeling that we will start to see it here too.

i hope the streets of london will be quiet soon. wanton property destruction does nothing but make everyone angry. if this was really about protesting the government or protesting the police then these riots should be directed not at private businesses or property, but rather at police buildings or government buildings. but of course people will not attack the police because that is where all of the guns, bullets, teargas, riot gear, heavy armored vehicles, and the jails are...

i am all for civil disobedience, just have a good reason for it.

mob action for no good reason is no good at all.

Mob mentality is an interesting phenomenon to say the least. People do things they wouldn't normally even think of...It is terrible what is going on over there and hopefully they can recover sanity quickly enough to stop anymore needless destruction.
    that’s right! Can’t we all just get together and focus on our real enemies: monogamous gays and stem cells… - Ned Flanders
    It is terrifying when you are too stupid to know who is dumb
    - Joe Rogan
  • Options
    ComeToTX wrote:

Looks like it's contagious, this rioting business. It's been kicking off in the Middle East now for a few months, and now England's caught the fever. Who's to say it won't spread across the pond?

Would be interesting to see if it catches on here in China too.
  • Options
    inlet13inlet13 Posts: 1,979
    ComeToTX wrote:

I would say this will happen here in the next 6 months.
    Here's a new demo called "in the fire":

<object height="81" width="100%"> <param name="movie" value="https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/28998869&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt; <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param> <embed allowscriptaccess="always" height="81" src="https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/28998869&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%"></embed> </object> <span><a href=" - In the Fire (demo)</a> by <a href="
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    dunkman wrote:
    This the same 16 year old girl who threw bricks at the police? hmmmmm ... you reap what you sow.

Not sure if she did that. Maybe she did. Either way, giving her a kicking in that place and at that time probably wasn't ever gonna end well.

dunkman wrote:
    the people affected? I too would be fucking annoyed if someone cut my benefits after 14 years of sitting on my arse watching Sky Sports... imagine having to buy Tesco's basic lager instead of Stella... that kind of indignity would have me rioting as well... ;)

as for a more equal society.... of course we should... but you're speaking of a Utopian society that will never happen... Black people and Asian people are equally as racist as White people... subconsciously or consciously... the main thrust of this rioting/looting is exactly what you said above... its fun.

The thing is, there are so many generalizations flying around at the moment with regards to this issue that my heads spinning. I think the bottom line is that there's no simple interpretation of these events as everyone involved has different motivations for being out there tearing it up. Probably most of them are just chavs who want some free shit. Probably a lot of them are black lads who want to let off steam, get some free shit, and take it to the old bill. And a lot of them are simply in on it because it's fun to smash windows and set fire to things.
    As for the bigger picture, I'm not sure there is any cut-and-dry picture to be made out of it. It would probably look something like a messy piece of abstract art. Either way, I reckon it includes many colours/ingredients such as racism, social deprivation, frustration, economic disenfranchisement (that's a long word! :o ), greed, anger, and a bunch of chillie peppers thrown in just to really spice it up.
    dunkman wrote:
    p.s. if you do plan on joining them Byrnzie... get me a Xbox360 big man... there's a sweetheart ;);)

I'll do what I can ;)
    Post edited by Byrnzie on
  • Options
    Actually I like that last post of mine so much that I think I'll stick it on my Facebook page too. :P
  • Options
    Byrnzie wrote:
    dunkman wrote:

Not sure if she did that. Maybe she did. Either way, giving her a kicking in that place and at that time probably wasn't ever gonna end well.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=16+yea ... =firefox-a

reports are that she threw rocks at the police... but i agree... rather than beating her up a bit they could have just contained her.

Byrnzie wrote:
    dunkman wrote:

The thing is, there are so many generalizations flying around at the moment with regards to this issue that my heads spinning. I think the bottom line is that there's no simple interpretation of these events as everyone involved has different motivations for being out there tearing it up. Probably most of them are just chavs who want some free shit. Probably a lot of them are black lads who want to let off steam, get some free shit, and take it to the old bill. And a lot of them are simply in on it because it's fun to smash windows and set fire to things.
    As for the bigger picture, I'm not sure there is any cut-and-dry picture to made out of it. It would probably look something like a messy piece of abstract art. Either way, I reckon it includes many colours/ingredients such as racism, social deprivation, frustration, economic disenfranchisement (that's a long word! :o ), greed, anger, and a bunch of chillie peppers thrown in just to really spice it up.

think we agree on that... i'm pretty sure that years of built up resentment is also surfacing during these riots... but i also think the majority of the looters are just in it for the kicks.

good man with that xbox btw ;);)
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,880
    Byrnzie wrote:
    ComeToTX wrote:

Looks like it's contagious, this rioting business. It's been kicking off in the Middle East now for a few months, and now England's caught the fever. Who's to say it won't spread across the pond?

Would be interesting to see if it catches on here in China too.
    Yeah, but China kinda brings it when it comes to quelling a riot or just plain passive civil disobedience.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    guypjfreakguypjfreak Posts: 2,281
    this is bang out of order :shock:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14456065

i hope the old bill get these people its sickening and they recon tonit its going to happen again :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
  • Options
    ilockyerilockyer Posts: 2,247
    dunkman wrote:

That's nearly as retarded as the looting of Primark in Birmingham. I understand why you'd loot Armani, House of Fraser etc. but fucking over Primark? That's either great intelligence because people won't notice new crappy threads but would notice if their lad came home all Armani'd up, or complete stupidity.

I just hope that this can all be ended as soon as possible. Hopefully Call Me Dave will have the sense to stop his planned cut in numbers on the Met, and will ease the cuts to put money back into youth projects etc. Without investment to deter these people we'll just see more of the same.
    The secret to a happy ending is knowing when to roll the credits
  • Options
    ilockyer wrote:
    I just hope that this can all be ended as soon as possible. Hopefully Call Me Dave will have the sense to stop his planned cut in numbers on the Met, and will ease the cuts to put money back into youth projects etc. Without investment to deter these people we'll just see more of the same.

fuck investing in youth projects... thats how i would deal with it... i'd go on TV and say "since we now have to spend millions sorting out the fucking mess you made, ergo, I have now cancelled all your shitty little youth centres"

ungrateful little shits... its times like this i'm glad i live in a wee village next to a wee town in a region of Scotland where cattle outnumber people. They'd only riot up here if someone blocked the milk lorry... and yet the youths in my area get virtually nothing in comparison to these dolts... those inner-city clowns moaning about how they get nothing and its shit living in inner city London... well fucking move then.. i'm sure our pathetic social services will ensure you get a new house somewhere, a sky dish of course as well as incapacity benefit for your sore toenail.

when i become dictator of Scotland i'm building a giant fucking wall... again.
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    ilockyer wrote:
    dunkman wrote:

That's nearly as retarded as the looting of Primark in Birmingham. I understand why you'd loot Armani, House of Fraser etc. but fucking over Primark? That's either great intelligence because people won't notice new crappy threads but would notice if their lad came home all Armani'd up, or complete stupidity.

Have you seen the looting of Poundland? There's a pic on FB and a large girl legging it out of Poundland with haribo and pringles. Class.

Seriously, this is all fucked up. Manchester has been hit tonight
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    DragonsAfter3or4DragonsAfter3or4 Bluegrass Posts: 325
    inlet13 wrote:
    ComeToTX wrote:

I would say this will happen here in the next 6 months.

If this happens (Which I believe it will happen within the next year), hope they don't get close to my house cause they'll be dropped like a ragdoll. Got my 9mm, 45 and my M4 ready along with my food and gold. Game on Biatches.
  • Options
    eldarion75eldarion75 Posts: 2,488
    dunkman wrote:

Hey look...it's Rice Cube :)
This discussion has been closed.