Options

London's fucked

HinnHinn Posts: 1,517
edited August 2011 in A Moving Train
I think that just about sums it up.

Day 3 of rioting, gathering speed. Not just North London anymore. East London. South East London. Fires. Stores smashed. Looting.

This is one of those times when I'm glad I'm in a part of London that people always overlook.
115 bucks for half a haircut by a novice? I want my money back!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    stay safe..looks like Athens
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    the people there have had some anger building up for some time now ...
  • Options
    titchinellotitchinello Posts: 3,139
    your right there.... its just madness.... fucking madness, been watching the news of it happening since about 5pm, and its just getting worse and worse.

fucking idiots
    Glasgow cathouse-1992-2-23, San diego sports arena-1995-11-06 & 07, Glasgow secc-2000-06-03, Tampa st petes times forum-2003-04-13, London O2 arena-2009-08-18, Belfast odyssey arena-2010-06-23.Leeds 2014 - 07-08
  • Options
    inlet13inlet13 Posts: 1,979
    Stay safe.
    Here's a new demo called "in the fire":

<object height="81" width="100%"> <param name="movie" value="https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/28998869&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt; <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param> <embed allowscriptaccess="always" height="81" src="https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/28998869&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%"></embed> </object> <span><a href=" - In the Fire (demo)</a> by <a href="
  • Options
    I wouldn't be surprised if there where some reprecusions for the london olympics because of this.

but is it too late to pull the plug on it.
    Glasgow cathouse-1992-2-23, San diego sports arena-1995-11-06 & 07, Glasgow secc-2000-06-03, Tampa st petes times forum-2003-04-13, London O2 arena-2009-08-18, Belfast odyssey arena-2010-06-23.Leeds 2014 - 07-08
  • Options
    I wouldn't be surprised if there where some reprecusions for the london olympics because of this.

I'm surprised they haven't hit up Stratford after Deptford/Lewisham got hit, and swung round to Croydon/Dulwich/Camberwell instead.
  • Options
    Hinn wrote:

I'm surprised they haven't hit up Stratford after Deptford/Lewisham got hit, and swung round to Croydon/Dulwich/Camberwell instead.

just watching croydon burning now... is deptford where the olympic stadium is??
  • Options
    BALLBOYBALLBOY Australia Posts: 996
    I love London it has a been big part of my life but sadly it has been hi jacked by people who only care about themselves & it really sad to see how it is spreading like the great fire or the plague.
    Eastern Creek 95,Syd 1 98,Bris 2 98, Syd 1&2 03, Reading Fest 06, Bris 1 06, London 09, Hyde Park 10, Gold Coast BDO 14
  • Options
    i here its happening in birmingham too. where next.. manchester....?????
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    polaris_x wrote:

Nothing to do with anger, protest, politics, etc. Just wanton destruction & looting. No further agenda than that. Disgusting. It's the people who have their homes torched and their little business burned down who have the right to be angry. Not those idiots with their hoodies and scarves around their faces.
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    redrock wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

Nothing to do with anger, protest, politics, etc. Just wanton destruction & looting. No further agenda than that. Disgusting. It's the people who have their homes torched and their little business burned down who have the right to be angry. Not those idiots with their hoodies and scarves around their faces.

Absolutely. I just hope nobody gets caught in any of those fires - like you said, some of these places they're burning have homes above them.

Time to bring in the army?
  • Options
    F***ing gangs. Police having to guard the doors of the Children's Hospital... despicable.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    We've seen smaller cases like this breakout in the States over the weekend. Philly had to issue a youth curfew after "flash" mobs of youth damaged stores and beat people at random. And the Wisconsin state fair had issues with young gang members just randomly beating patrons as they were stuck in traffic.

I hope the violence is contained soon. Good luck!
  • Options
    DreadDread Posts: 6
    Just idiots with nothing better to do ,using any excuse to smash and rob,pathetic
  • Options
    ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    It's all so terrible.

Don't know what else to say.

:(
  • Options
    redrock wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

this is it ^

for no reason. just violence for the sake of violence. stupid, irresponsible, moronic people who don't think about any of the consequences that others will have to face.

on the news, there was a woman whose home - flat - was burnt down. to the ground. destroyed. why? what has she done? absolutely nothing.
    those hooded and cloaked people who are doing all of this - disgusting and pathetic and i hope karma gives them what they deserve.

i'm very angry about this, i have family there and loved ones and now it's spreading to birmingham too?
  • Options
    This is what they've done to the main street in the next train station down from mine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gqj1N9qe ... ture=share
  • Options
    Hub.Hub. Posts: 1,987
    don't get it.

As someone just said on the BBC: They don't care, they have no respect for human lives.
  • Options
    Hub. wrote:
    don't get it.

As someone just said on the BBC: They don't care, they have no respect for human lives.

they have no respect for their own areas
    their own community
    their own neighbours
    their own shops

it's disgusting and a disgrace for the country
  • Options
    I'm kinda terrified. In a minor way. Even put my passport in my pocket, put on jeans even though it's 11pm, put my Alpine Valley flight details in my bag, along with my mullet wig and my flag, ready to make a run. Obviously I'm doing this in my way where I don't really take things seriously.

Combine that with the fact that these kids have clearly have no respect for safety of others in causing wanton public damage...

Doesn't that make them terrorists?

Doesn't that translate into shoot to kill, when people with the guilty mind cannot be deterred from their ongoing actions?

Sounds like there ought to be a PROPER hunt. With rifles and whatnot.
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,394
    What triggered this? People don't just explode for no reason! Has something recently happened that pushed them into a corner somehow? :(
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    BALLBOY wrote:
    I love London it has a been big part of my life but sadly it has been hi jacked by people who only care about themselves

Yeah, they're called bankers.
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    edited August 2011
    justam wrote:
    What triggered this? People don't just explode for no reason! Has something recently happened that pushed them into a corner somehow? :(

Well, there's no simple cause and effect. On Thursday, a man called Mark Duggan was shot by police. Initial reports stated that he was armed and there was an exchange of gunfire. However, ballistics reports suggest that the only bullets fired - including one found in a police officer's radio originally claimed to have been fired by a gun from Duggan - were police- issue dum dum bullets. A gun was found near Duggan, but it emerged that it hadn't been fired.

An angry crowd descended on Bruce Grove police station in Tottenham on Saturday night, peacefully demanding answers. They had to wait five hours for police to appear. What happened next is sketchy. Some people say that a sixteen year- old girl who had been at the church across the road started shouting at police; others say she threw a stone. What did happen next was that she was 'set upon' by police:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX9qZVsMQP8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcwUyZ68C0k

This incident was allegedly the event that sparked the following riots. However, after a couple of hours, looters were arriving from various locations in London to pillage and commit arson in Tottenham. Police numbers, cut by the government, were already stretched. Wilful opportunism and entrenched hatred of the police have led to mass rioting and lootings, co-ordinated via Blackberry phones and social media, across the capital and beyond. There have been three nights of rioting all over the capital now. Tonight, there are reports of riots in Birmingham, Leeds and Liverpool. The violence right now seems to have no direct connection with the circumstances and indignation regarding Duggan's death: it seems to be people erupting partly spontaneously, often psychotically, but as I say with some strange method of premeditated co-ordination between united gangs, at the expense of struggling businesses. Shopkeepers and business people have no right to bear arms, so they're defenceless while the police are stretched to breaking point.

Basically, it's mad. One could sociologise that this is an inevitable event in the evolution of late capitalism, predicted by Marx (with the underclass mimicking the aggressive thefts of the City), or one could blame the hot summer nights or interplanetary allignments. Or Yoko Ono. Fuck knows. I don't know anymore.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msid=2 ... 2C0.298691
    Post edited by FinsburyParkCarrots on
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,394
    Thanks for a thoughtful reply Richard.

This is awful. :cry:
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    Byrnzie wrote:
    BALLBOY wrote:
    I love London it has a been big part of my life but sadly it has been hi jacked by people who only care about themselves

+1
    NERDS!
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,519
    Byrnzie wrote:
    BALLBOY wrote:

+1

+2

Seeing this in Hong Kong first hand. The expat bankers thinks the sun rises and sets because of them.
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    Dread wrote:
    Just idiots with nothing better to do ,using any excuse to smash and rob,pathetic

and i qoute from some douche trying to break thru a wall at lallapolllooaazzza or something like that

i'm just here for the mob, i don't care about the music.

kids now a days suck. just go look at vancouver
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    edited August 2011
    The Dead Kennedy's - Riot

03:45 seconds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Aw2UtpOUN0

Rioting-the unbeatable high
    Adrenalin shoots your nerves to the sky
    Everyone knows this town is gonna blow
    And it's all gonna blow right now:.

Now you can smash all the windows that you want
    All you really need are some friends and a rock
    Throwing a brick never felt so damn good
    Smash more glass
    Scream with a laugh
    And wallow with the crowds
    Watch them kicking peoples' ass

But you get to the place
    Where the real slavedrivers live
    It's walled off by the riot squad
    Aiming guns right at your head
    So you turn right around
    And play right into their hands
    And set your own neighbourhood
    Burning to the ground instead

[Chorus]
    Riot-the unbeatable high
    Riot-shoots your nerves to the sky
    Riot-playing into their hands
    Tomorrow you're homeless
    Tonight it's a blast

Get your kicks in quick
    They're callin' the national guard
    Now could be your only chance
    To torch a police car

Climb the roof, kick the siren in
    And jump and yelp for joy
    Quickly-dive back in the crowd
    Slip away, now don't get caught

Let's loot the spiffy hi-fi store
    Grab as much as you can hold
    Pray your full arms don't fall off
    Here comes the owner with a gun

[Chorus]

The barricades spring up from nowhere
    Cops in helmets line the lines
    Shotguns prod into your bellies
    The trigger fingers want an excuse
    Now

The raging mob has lost its nerve
    There's more of us but who goes first
    No one dares to cross the line
    The cops know that they've won

It's all over but not quite
    The pigs have just begun to fight
    They club your heads, kick your teeth
    Police can riot all that they please

[Chorus]

Tomorrow you're homeless
    Tonight it's a blast
    Post edited by Byrnzie on
  • Options
    FiveB247xFiveB247x Posts: 2,330
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2TYKmQc0L4&NR=1

White riot - I wanna riot
    White riot - a riot of my own

Black people gotta lot a problems
    But they don't mind throwing a brick
    White people go to school
    Where they teach you how to be thick

An' everybody's doing
    Just what they're told to
    An' nobody wants
    To go to jail!

All the power's in the hands
    Of people rich enough to buy it
    While we walk the street
    Too chicken to even try it

Everybody's doing
    Just what they're told to
    Nobody wants
    To go to jail!

Are you taking over
    or are you taking orders?
    Are you going backwards
    Or are you going forwards?
    CONservative governMENt

Our government is the potent, the omnipresent teacher. For good or for ill, it teaches the whole people by its example. Crime is contagious. If the government becomes a law-breaker, it breeds contempt for law; it invites every man to become a law unto himself; it invites anarchy. - Louis Brandeis
  • Options
    It's great posting all these lyrics but in the meantime, reality means that two of my drivers have been assaulted (one in hospital), a friend had his business burnt down, another one his car torched (he is self employed and needs the car for work). Non of these people are rich, two of them have had their livelyhood taken away from them. Insurances probably won't pay for their material loss either.

There is no excuse for this.
This discussion has been closed.