"I called in because I can;t fucking take it anymore" UPDATE

starmap3333starmap3333 Posts: 3,925
edited March 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
I called in yesterday... a BS excuse about a fever... a young child.... an ear infection.. and no child care. I cook, clean, run a cash register... deal with truckers. anybody else? I want to quit so bad but have a mouth to feed and cannot do such things.

well, there's the vent. thanks for listening. 26 fucking days to go....

UPDATE: i'm still stuck in this fucking place 7 months later....nothing around here... just nothing. i can drive again in the next month or so finally. does there ever come a time where, when your job is making you unhappy to the point where YOU are making everyone around you unhappy, you just radically depart with no safety net when you have a wife and child to support?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    they're called mental health days, we all need them, just don't abuse them
  • Jokertt14Jokertt14 Posts: 2,566
    Yeah . truckers hitting on you all day . Would make it a long one .
  • I think everyone has had to do that at least once! Thank God my job hasn't gotten to me like that yet, but at this pace, I can see it coming in the next year or so.. let's sere how long it takes..LOL
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    I definitely take more personal day off/mental health days when I don't like my job.

Last year was a difficult year, and I definitely needed them. I would notify my boss I wasn't feeling well, which was totally true. I could hardly get up out of bed.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    I called in yesterday... a BS excuse about a fever... a young child.... an ear infection.. and no child care. I cook, clean, run a cash register... deal with truckers. anybody else? I want to quit so bad but have a mouth to feed and cannot do such things.

actually you are my new hero for not quitting

and yes

26 fucking days and counting . . .
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • they're called mental health days, we all need them, just don't abuse them
    I have a coworker who calls in to say she has diarrhea at least once a week. I want to ask her if she thinks I'm an idiot.
    Emily
  • I know where you're coming from. I should be working as an Elementary teacher, but since my requests to transfer out of my school - even with medical notes supporting this, have been denied, I've been on an unpaid sick leave for the last year... and who knows when anything might happen.
  • I called in yesterday... a BS excuse about a fever... a young child.... an ear infection.. and no child care. I cook, clean, run a cash register... deal with truckers. anybody else? I want to quit so bad but have a mouth to feed and cannot do such things.

I'm in the same boat. Hate my job with a passion. Have two young daughters. Have continuously asked my wife if I could just quit to find something I really love.........no dice. But seriously...........together we make about $90K. About 60% her. No real (non-investment) debt, just one car payment and house payment. I'm pretty sure we could scrape by even if I didn't find a job, and plus we'd save bundles on daycare!
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • brother123brother123 Posts: 792
    i'm taking 3 weeks off. New job starts after that so. . . told the other job to stuff it
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    what the fuck is a mental health day?
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Mikee JMikee J Posts: 1,323
    Someone told me once that "mental health days" are a legit and part of the normal working life in some Scandinavian countries. Its accepted that some days you just need to stay under the duvet and block the world out.. pretty cool i recon.
    "My body's nobody's body but mine"
  • starmap3333starmap3333 Posts: 3,925
    hey thanks for the responses. i've made many mistakes in my life that have led me to this shitty and intolerable job. iwas a cps worker and then a medicaid service coordinator for a total of 11 years but i was fired when i lost my license for dwi. can't seem to get anything decent with this on my record but i do get my license back in january finally and i am praying that i will be able to get back into my profession once i can drive and am able to make meetings, home visits, etc. for now i will have to keep waiting on these fuckers for $9 an hour. so discouraging and, frankly, psychologically painful. 23 fucking days!!! :0)
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    fuckin A

i could use a mental health month
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    brother123 wrote:
    i'm taking 3 weeks off. New job starts after that so. . . told the other job to stuff it

I love you Max, that Who thing is fucking awesome. :D
    Mikee J wrote:
    Someone told me once that "mental health days" are a legit and part of the normal working life in some Scandinavian countries. Its accepted that some days you just need to stay under the duvet and block the world out.. pretty cool i recon.

I work in HR and I know our HR manager fully accepts and understands the need for mental health days. She's a great boss.

I just wish the rest of management around here was more like her.
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    I have a coworker who calls in to say she has diarrhea at least once a week. I want to ask her if she thinks I'm an idiot.

...or if she washes her hands properly upon exiting the restroom.

:shock:
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Great advice.

I took a mental health day recently and went on a hike in the Utah woods with just myself and my dog. It was truly fantastic. The next day though I ended up catching a gnarly cold.

WTF? Bittersweet.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
    Mikee J wrote:

I work in HR and I know our HR manager fully accepts and understands the need for mental health days. She's a great boss.

I just wish the rest of management around here was more like her.

It's great you acknowledge your one of a kind manager.

Mine makes me sick to my stomach. :evil:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    She was brought in from another region because basically the last one was a nightmare. She was literally forced out through responses in an employee survey. Some of the responses were down right nasty. And it was across the board, no one wanted to go to HR for anything.

She was hated and feared.

And now, this woman has been here about 3 years and has made a tremedous amount of progress, but like I said, some of the other management staff just have too much power and it holds us back here in HR.
    She was brought in from another region because basically the last one was a nightmare. She was literally forced out through responses in an employee survey. Some of the responses were down right nasty. And it was across the board, no one wanted to go to HR for anything.

She was hated and feared.

And now, this woman has been here about 3 years and has made a tremedous amount of progress, but like I said, some of the other management staff just have too much power and it holds us back here in HR.

Sounds all too familiar. :cry:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    See and that's appalling, we're all adults, can't we act like that? Apparently not, some managers treat their staff like children.

My job before this, the CEO asked me if I would consider being his personal assistant. I agreed, but told him not to yell at me because I WILL cry. :D

And he never did.
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    I'm taking a mental health week next week, yippie!!! Now just to figure out how to spend all that time...
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
    i'm still stuck in this fucking place. does there ever come a time where, when your job is making you unhappy to the point where YOU are making everyone around you unhappy, you just radically depart with no safety net when you have a wife and child to support?
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    last time I called out of work, I was fired. I was developing a fever, and knew if I went to work valeting cars in 30 degree weather I would feel like complete shit. The boss told me I had to go to work and started getting real pissed at me so I told him no and hung up on him. Hes a real piece of shit.

fast forward to the night time and I felt like complete shit, even though I DIDNT go to work. I had a nasty fever for the next 3 days. Fucking scum bag.

I also dont have a family to feed as I am 23. But if you ever have a boss like that I would just recommend searching for a new job before you quit. You should never lower yourself to scum like that.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
    last time I called out of work, I was fired. I was developing a fever, and knew if I went to work valeting cars in 30 degree weather I would feel like complete shit. The boss told me I had to go to work and started getting real pissed at me so I told him no and hung up on him. Hes a real piece of shit.

fast forward to the night time and I felt like complete shit, even though I DIDNT go to work. I had a nasty fever for the next 3 days. Fucking scum bag.

I also dont have a family to feed as I am 23. But if you ever have a boss like that I would just recommend searching for a new job before you quit. You should never lower yourself to scum like that.

yep, the customers, the boss... all of it out there... is fucking scum. truckers (sorry if you are, or know one... or two) are a, generally, disgusting and vile population. they have this fucking sense of entitlement like you're some fucking servant to them. the prices are terrible there so after the fuckers make you tell them the price on everything they're like, "yeah, screw this place!!". yeah, you are really punishing me by not eating. fuck you asshole. it's not my fault you decided to haul trash for a living, never see your family, smell like shit, and sleep in your truck every night.

they're a bunch of fucking overgrown babies. the manager is a cunt too. over 2 years... no raises... ololllolool.

i really cannot take it much longer.
  • i'm still stuck in this fucking place. does there ever come a time where, when your job is making you unhappy to the point where YOU are making everyone around you unhappy, you just radically depart with no safety net when you have a wife and child to support?

Right here with ya! :wave:
    Been hating my job for a while now.
    It just seems to get worse, and worse.
    Can't shake the hate that this place generates within me.
    Been applying to jobs like crazy... Some interviews (which means using vacation days)
    It just seems like there are more people who need jobs, than there are jobs available.

Then you think, maybe you should be happy you at least have a job
    Yeah, maybe... but some days its hard.

Considered just saying fuck it some days...I dont have children to support. My pets eat well. I can survive on a Ramen Noodle daily dinner.
    I can go work at Dunkin Donuts or some shit for minimum wage and not hate life so much...
    And then PJ will tour, and I'll be broke...
    Hopefully there will be room on the credit cards...

Sometimes it feels like it will never end.

But it HAS to end. Some day. Hopefully sooner than later.
    So, I wait for that day.
    It's gotta come soon...
    Shit, I'll even hold on to eventually!

"Its been a long, a long time coming
    But I know a change is gonna come"
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    See and that's appalling, we're all adults, can't we act like that? Apparently not, some managers treat their staff like children.

It's a power trip. They want to remind you as often as possible that they are higher up on the food chain than you. Not every boss is like this, but a great deal of them are.
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,901

yep, the customers, the boss... all of it out there... is fucking scum. truckers (sorry if you are, or know one... or two) are a, generally, disgusting and vile population. they have this fucking sense of entitlement like you're some fucking servant to them. the prices are terrible there so after the fuckers make you tell them the price on everything they're like, "yeah, screw this place!!". yeah, you are really punishing me by not eating. fuck you asshole. it's not my fault you decided to haul trash for a living, never see your family, smell like shit, and sleep in your truck every night.

they're a bunch of fucking overgrown babies. the manager is a cunt too. over 2 years... no raises... ololllolool.

well sir, some of us "fucking scum" truck drivers DO appreciate the employees of the overpriced truck stops we are forced to shop at.We're kinda limited on where we can get our trucks into. I myself make an effort to say thank you and have a nice day as we conclude our business. So I'll ask you if you are able to recall any of the pleasant guys and gals you've come in contact with?

BTW, pm me which TS you work at. I wanna say Hello if I'm ever in the area.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    :shock:
    mickeyrat wrote:

well sir, some of us "fucking scum" truck drivers DO appreciate the employees of the overpriced truck stops we are forced to shop at.We're kinda limited on where we can get our trucks into. I myself make an effort to say thank you and have a nice day as we conclude our business. So I'll ask you if you are able to recall any of the pleasant guys and gals you've come in contact with?

BTW, pm me which TS you work at. I wanna say Hello if I'm ever in the area.

Yep, there are a few regulars who are pleasant and kind... and appreciative that they can get good service and shoot the shit with someone for a few. Very few and far between and, hey, I'm sure you're one of them. There is one guy who gives me $1 everytime he comes in for "your kid's piggy bank".... there's another i talk sports at length with.... there's a guy i talk politics with... and then there's a handful of guys who are like, "jesus, what the fuck are you doing working here? you're too smart for this place.". so, yeah, there are some good clean human beings coming through... i prefaced my statement i think saying i didn;t want to offend anyone who IS NOT a scumbag fucker who wipes his ass and sticks the toilet paper to the wall.... or can't rinse his phlegm out of the sink... or his toothpaste... or the ones that leave their BAGS OF FECES AND BOTTLES OF PISS IN THE LOT. Or the ones who dump shit all over the place... coffee, soda, etc and don;t even fucking clean it up.... every now and then there's someone who is like, "i am so sorry man can i have a towel to clean up my mess?" then i say, "oh thank you but don;t worry about it i'll take care of it, have a good day!" It's the fuckers that act like it's my job to clean your shit off the wall, cook your food, ring you out, and suck your &habn while i'm at it because, hey, truckers are rockstars mentaility. the false sense on entitlement. am i being clear yet?

You fucking KNOW this goes on and I'm sure you're smart enough to know, if you're an over the road trucker that THESE ARE THE PEOPLE I'm talking about.... not you.

I hope this will clear up any insinuations... I may have been perceived to have made regarding the population... there are good and bad in every social class... more bad than good in this particular one. :mrgreen: