****Official Metallica thread****

Comments

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195

SELF-TITLED (1991). AKA ”The Black Album” AKA ”When Metallica ended”. There are some albums that have so many classic songs and singles that it feels like a Greatest Hits album. Nevermind is one example of that - this is another. Hard to not consider this a masterpiece and Metallicas peak. Whatever those ”only Metallicas 80s albums count”-headbangers say. 
    How this gets a 5 and puppets a 3 is beyond me...

Still a good album though.  My guess would be that this album was your introduction to the band?

*edit:  I wanted to add that the solo in Unforgiven is one of Hammets finest moments.
    What you have is 5 really great songs and the rest is mediocre. Side B just doesn't compare to any previous Metallica side B by far.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    tbergs said:

SELF-TITLED (1991). AKA ”The Black Album” AKA ”When Metallica ended”. There are some albums that have so many classic songs and singles that it feels like a Greatest Hits album. Nevermind is one example of that - this is another. Hard to not consider this a masterpiece and Metallicas peak. Whatever those ”only Metallicas 80s albums count”-headbangers say. 

Still a good album though.  My guess would be that this album was your introduction to the band?

*edit:  I wanted to add that the solo in Unforgiven is one of Hammets finest moments.
    What you have is 5 really great songs and the rest is mediocre. Side B just doesn't compare to any previous Metallica side B by far.
    The B side was still good.  There wasn't a kick in the teeth song though, Enter Sandman was it and wasn't that punchy, nor on side B.  It was a reject from Justice too, imagine that?
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited July 2019
    tbergs said:

Black Album has the most consistent string of songs. The Metallica Side B issue I find more troublesome on some of the 80s albums. Reload and Hardwired has the worst case of it though.

EDIT: Or "second half" I should say. CD forever!
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

Hmm. Was it.. I remember listening to Master of Puppets at a friends house when I was 11-12 and looking at his Ride the Lightning poster... and before that I remember us kids choosing between a live VHS of a Metallica show and a live VHS of a Guns show to watch while drinking lemonade. Must have been like 8-9 at the time.

But ofc the songs from the Black album are in large part what you heard on MTV. They are just so perfectly crafted. As I said, sounds like a Greatest Hits album. Like Nevermind and Ten also does.

I will say that Metallicas greatest release all in all though is:

It was different and pushed the envelope, I will say that.

My fav non-album is Garage Inc though.

It has re-revisited, revisited, all their B sides like Breadfan and newer covers.  This is a fun album.
    Image result for garage inc
    edited July 2019

Hmm. Was it.. I remember listening to Master of Puppets at a friends house when I was 11-12 and looking at his Ride the Lightning poster... and before that I remember us kids choosing between a live VHS of a Metallica show and a live VHS of a Guns show to watch while drinking lemonade. Must have been like 8-9 at the time.

But ofc the songs from the Black album are in large part what you heard on MTV. They are just so perfectly crafted. As I said, sounds like a Greatest Hits album. Like Nevermind and Ten also does.

It has re-revisited, revisited, all their B sides like Breadfan and newer covers.  This is a fun album.
    Isn't it somewhat weird they taped Jasons head onto Cliffs body?

Kind of similar thing going on visually to Lost Dogs though...
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

RELOAD (1997). Plagued by similar problems as Load. Strong start, than turns bland. Should have combined the best songs of each into one album. 
    edited July 2019

LOAD (1996). There is a pretty great album here surrounded by a lot of bloat - whether from overconfidence coming off the success of The Black Album or from the band being lost. Keep the first seven songs and then skip to The Outlaw Torn and you have a really solid album. Until it Sleeps is one of their best songs.
    Until it Sleeps is a very underrated song.
    Load is completely underrated. Just did a complete listen through the past 2 days and the only song I still skip is Ronnie. I've never really liked that song. Guitar sound ruins it for me.

Oh, and Bleeding Me + The Outlaw Torn > the entire Black Album. Masterpieces.

This album was the first full album new release I got on CD (Merkinball was my first new purchase of any CD). All my previous Metallica had been a cassette purchase and was all I owned of them when this came out. My parents almost didn't buy it because they saw Ain't My Bitch was the first song. My next new release CD purchase, No Code. Good times back in '96. Ripped most of Load to cassette so I could listen to it while mowing the lawn all summer.
    Post edited by tbergs on
    tbergs said:

LOAD (1996). There is a pretty great album here surrounded by a lot of bloat - whether from overconfidence coming off the success of The Black Album or from the band being lost. Keep the first seven songs and then skip to The Outlaw Torn and you have a really solid album. Until it Sleeps is one of their best songs.
    Load is completely underrated. Just did a complete listen through the past 2 days and the only song I still skip is Ronnie. I've never really liked that song. Guitar sound ruins it for me.

This album was the first full album new release I got on CD (Merkinball was my first new purchase of any CD). All my previous Metallica had been a cassette purchase and was all I owned of them when this came out. My parents almost didn't buy it because they saw Ain't My Bitch was the first song. My next new release CD purchase, No Code. Good times back in '96. Ripped most of Load to cassette so I could listen to it while mowing the lawn all summer.
    Late to the CD game, huh?

I had to start collecting CD's a few years earlier because Vinyl was harder to find and CD's were sooooo much easier to locate.

Power of Lard was the true begining of my CD buying binges.  Dabbled in it the last few years but had to have that one.

Last cassette I bought was Vs.
    S&M2 will be shown in theaters on October 9th. 

Play Unforgiven 1,2 and 3 in order or I aint going.
    tbergs said:

Late to the CD game, huh?

I had to start collecting CD's a few years earlier because Vinyl was harder to find and CD's were sooooo much easier to locate.

Power of Lard was the true begining of my CD buying binges.  Dabbled in it the last few years but had to have that one.

Last cassette I bought was Vs.
    Yeah, I couldn't afford a discman and didn't get a stereo with CD capabilities until Christmas of '95. When my sister came home from college she would bring all her CD's and stereo so I listened to those all summer. I loved the Queen greatest hits CD she had. Rock radio was my only friend and thankfully we had a good one that was able to be heard at most times. It's how I heard all the awesome Rock of the 90's.  I would tape every song I liked. Man, that was a lot of work, but well worth it. Anytime we went on school trips, I would borrow my friend's CD players so I could spin, STP, AIC or PJ. I think the last new cassette I actually bought was Def Leppard Adrenalize. Never owned a PJ cassette. Most times I would just have my friends rip me a cassette of their CD. That's how I got in to Nirvana. Another great cassette for mowing, especially those 90 minute cassettes. They were more likely to get eaten, but it was great to get that much music on a single cassette.

I had a record player on the Hi-Fi in my room, but not much selection to choose from. I actually had more 8 tracks than vinyl. First vinyl purchases were Born in the USA and Sgt. Peppers. Sadly, I can't find my Bruce record. I think I lost it in one of many moves after college.

GARAGE INC (1998). Not familiar with most of these covers. The first disc with all the new recordings is fun and a breeze to get through. You can see why Turn the page and Whiskey in the jar were huge songs on MTV (not only because of their risky music videos). Most of the old songs on disc 2 are a bit boring.

GARAGE INC (1998). Not familiar with most of these covers. The first disc with all the new recordings is fun and a breeze to get through. You can see why Turn the page and Whiskey in the jar were huge songs on MTV (not only because of their risky music videos). Most of the old songs on disc 2 are a bit boring.
    Dude Breadfan can carry a whole album of filler if needed too.

Shut yo mouth son!

So not sure if you know the timeline of disc 2 or not?  I'm glad you don't know the songs, upon first hearing them neither did I.  Metallica is the reason I became a Misfits fan.

Off the top o my head here we go...

The first set of songs were from Re-revisited.  The ep wrote after Cliffs untimely death and an absolute friggin classic.

The 2 songs after are Am I evil and Blitzkrieg(I actually knew Blitzkrieg) were from the Killem-Lightning years.  They were released as an EP with Creeping Death but were eventually put on the Killem all album after signing w Elektra.

The next group are the b sides from Justice.  The Queen song was from a Queen aniversary thing from Elektra records.

The last were Motorhead songs.  Metallica loved a few bands and Motorhead was one of them.  A tribute to the King if you would.

So for disc 2 what did you like?  Damaged case I could live without but the rest are pretty damn solid.  Plus like I said if Breadfan doesn't move you then you must be dead.

Check out Budgies OG version, pretty cool to see what Metallica did to it.  Queens Stone Cold?  I actually chuckled when I first heard the Queen version.

Shut yo mouth son!

So not sure if you know the timeline of disc 2 or not?  I'm glad you don't know the songs, upon first hearing them neither did I.  Metallica is the reason I became a Misfits fan.

The first set of songs were from Re-revisited.  The ep wrote after Cliffs untimely death and an absolute friggin classic.

The 2 songs after are Am I evil and Blitzkrieg(I actually knew Blitzkrieg) were from the Killem-Lightning years.  They were released as an EP with Creeping Death but were eventually put on the Killem all album after signing w Elektra.

The next group are the b sides from Justice.  The Queen song was from a Queen aniversary thing from Elektra records.

The last were Motorhead songs.  Metallica loved a few bands and Motorhead was one of them.  A tribute to the King if you would.

So for disc 2 what did you like?  Damaged case I could live without but the rest are pretty damn solid.  Plus like I said if Breadfan doesn't move you then you must be dead.

Check out Budgies OG version, pretty cool to see what Metallica did to it.  Queens Stone Cold?  I actually chuckled when I first heard the Queen version.
    Will take a look.
  • manitoumanmanitouman In My Head Posts: 1,073
    The Prince? WTF!!! Seen them play this album live in Chicago. Hammet had just had his appendix out and played from a stool. Caught a Hetfield pick after losing my mind to The Prince.
    Soldier Field, Chicago, IL 7-11-1995; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-29-1998; MGM Grand, Las Vegas, NV 10-22-2000 ~PJ10~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 4-1-2003; Cricket Pavilion, Phoenix, AZ 6-7-2003; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-18-2003; Alpine Valley, East Troy, WI 6-21-2003; Fox Theatre, St. Louis, MO 10-5-2004; The Gorge, George, WA 9-1-2005; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-16-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-17-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-2-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-3-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-23-2009; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-24-2009; Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC 12-4-2013; Key Arena, Seattle, WA 12-6-2013; iWireless Arena, Moline, IL 10-17-2014 ~No Code Show~; Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul, MN 10-19-2014; Bradley Center, Milwaukee, WI 10-20-2014 ~Yield Show~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 10-22-2014 ~PJ24~: Wrigley Field 1 & 2, 2016; Safeco Field, Seattle Home Shows 1 & 2; Wrigley Field, Chicago Away Shows 1 & 2....
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808

Jason played on garage days. it was his first release. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited August 2019

Jason played on garage days. it was his first release. 
    Right... of course.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    edited August 2019

Shut yo mouth son!

Helpless - boring (should have been the Neil Young song instead)
    The Small Hours - boring but not superboring. Has groove.
    The Wait - boring
    Crash course in Brain Surgery - boring
    Last Caress / Green Hell - Fun in the beginning, The Green Hell part boring.
    Am I Evil - Like. 
    Blitzkrieg - short atleast. Works
    Breadfan - okey but a tad boring
    The Prince - boring
    Stone Cold Crazy - Like
    So What - Like
    Killing time - boring
    Overkill - boring
    Damage case - Like (bit not Hetfields Lemmy impersonation(?))
    Stone Dead Forever - okey
    Too late too late - okey

PEARL JAM FORUM, DO YOU LIKEEE HEAVVYYY?

• ST ANGER (2003). Right from the start you notice something is off. Not only by the weird trashcan-drumsound but also James singing. It sounds like he sings in character. Weird. Maybe I am biased by the Some Kind of Monster-doucumetary but I don’t enjoy this album at all. Sounds like leaked (on Napster) rough demos.

Shut yo mouth son!

Helpless - boring (should have been the Neil Young song instead)
    The Small Hours - boring but not superboring. Has groove.
    The Wait - boring
    Crash course in Brain Surgery - boring
    Last Caress / Green Hell - Fun in the beginning, The Green Hell part boring.
    Am I Evil - Like. 
    Blitzkrieg - short atleast. Works
    Breadfan - okey but a tad boring
    The Prince - boring
    Stone Cold Crazy - Like
    So What - Like
    Killing time - boring
    Overkill - boring
    Damage case - Like (bit not Hetfields Lemmy impersonation(?))
    Stone Dead Forever - okey
    Too late too late - okey

PEARL JAM FORUM, DO YOU LIKEEE HEAVVYYY?

Dead to me... again...

Breadfan has such a damn cool riff that you find boring?
    The crunchy riff in Helpless does nothing for you either?

How are you listening to these songs?  If you are hearing it through a computer you'll definitely miss things.  

A proper soundsystem must be used whilst listening to this type of music.

And yes Het is channeling his inner Lemmy on the Motorhead songs. I also can't believe u don't like overkill...  That is one I always crank up to hear the little things loud...

ST ANGER (2003). Right from the start you notice something is off. Not only by the weird trashcan-drumsound but also James singing. It sounds like he sings in character. Weird. Maybe I am biased by the Some Kind of Monster-doucumetary but I don’t enjoy this album at all. Sounds like leaked (on Napster) rough demos.
    Take the stupid tomtom drum out and this album is good.

Re-do the sound levels so the highs don't pierce my friggin ears and this album is great.

Metallica fans were, are still pissed at the way they recorded this.  It was meant to be listened through shitty computer speakers...

Stupes.

Give me the remix...
    and while yer at it, add bass to Justice. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

listening to the ramones covers from the st anger b sides. always dug those. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• DEATH MAGNETIC (2008). This sounds like a good Metallica album that somehow turned bland. That Was Just Your Life, All Nightmare Long and Cyanide are pretty cool. Unforgiven III is lacking something. 
  • Anyone seen this?

https://youtu.be/sUIESf0g56M
  • Horse2345Horse2345 Posts: 3,225
    UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13

• HARDWIRED... TO SELF-DESTRUCT (2016). I really want this to be a great album. The first half is really solid with a few really great songs. But the second one doesn’t have much to offer. And Lars looks goofy on the cover. 
  • manitoumanmanitouman In My Head Posts: 1,073
    ^^^ the Ronnie Rising Medly from the bonus disc is a real bone crusher. Love when I'm out on the bike and it comes on. Kick into another gear for sure.
    Soldier Field, Chicago, IL 7-11-1995; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-29-1998; MGM Grand, Las Vegas, NV 10-22-2000 ~PJ10~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 4-1-2003; Cricket Pavilion, Phoenix, AZ 6-7-2003; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-18-2003; Alpine Valley, East Troy, WI 6-21-2003; Fox Theatre, St. Louis, MO 10-5-2004; The Gorge, George, WA 9-1-2005; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-16-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-17-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-2-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-3-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-23-2009; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-24-2009; Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC 12-4-2013; Key Arena, Seattle, WA 12-6-2013; iWireless Arena, Moline, IL 10-17-2014 ~No Code Show~; Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul, MN 10-19-2014; Bradley Center, Milwaukee, WI 10-20-2014 ~Yield Show~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 10-22-2014 ~PJ24~: Wrigley Field 1 & 2, 2016; Safeco Field, Seattle Home Shows 1 & 2; Wrigley Field, Chicago Away Shows 1 & 2....

• "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

HARDWIRED... TO SELF-DESTRUCT (2016). I really want this to be a great album. The first half is really solid with a few really great songs. But the second one doesn’t have much to offer. And Lars looks goofy on the cover. 
    There are quite a few songs on here that are great..  It's the first album in a long while that actually sounds like a Metallica record.

Now that we're dead is a damn classic with some of the guitar riffs.

I just can't take you seriously though.  Anyone that loves the Black album best just doesn't get Metallica...

SHOTS FIRED!!!!
    All you other Metallikatz need to give me your top 5 Metal-Lica songs!