It's breast feeding month in IL

8181 Posts: 58,276
edited May 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
August is Breast-feeding Promotion Month in Illinois.

Gov. Pat Quinn has designated the month to increase public awareness about how some mothers feed their children.

Illinois Department of Human Services Secretary Michelle Saddler says the state supports and encourages breast-feeding. She also says it wants to remove the stigma that is sometimes associated with the practice.

The department says it promotes breast-feeding though the Women, Infants and Children food assistance program and a peer counselor program that helps women who want to breast-feed their babies.

Breast-feeding is not only being recognized in Illinois. The state recognition coincides with World Breast-feeding Week, which runs until Sunday.

Read more: http://dailyherald.com/article/20110803 ... z1U05QmYfb

:mrgreen:
81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Enjoy!

Seriously though, good on IL.
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    They should be celebrating like crazy in Washington DC - that place is FULL of boobs.

* i'm here all week, try the veal.. *
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • It is actually World Breastfeeding Week.

La Leche League was founded here in Illinois!

FACTS ABOUT BREASTFEEDING
    -According to the WHO Infants should be exclusively breastfed for the first six months.
    -Support from family members, employers, and the media makes a significant difference in the success of the breastfeeding mother.
    -Research shows a relationship between breastfeeding and weight control later in life.
    -Support from health professionals and lay counselors make a significant difference in outcomes for the breastfeeding mother and her baby.
    -Breastfeeding is protective against SIDS
    -Human milk supports optimal infant growth and development, with many benefits extending well beyond infancy.
    -There are unique immune factors present in human milk that protect the infant and benefit society by reduced health care costs.
    -Breastfeeding provides maternal protection against breast cancer and osteoporosis.

Happy nursing to all the breastfeeding mamas out there! Also, give your local IBCLC or Breastfeeding Educator (that's me!) a hug. We work hard for healthy babies and healthy mamas.
  • vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,109
    Say what you want about the benefits or ills of breast-feeding (for the record, I'm staying out of it!), but this is creepy.

http://www.startribune.com/opinion/othe ... 48828.html
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
    2023-08-31 Wrigley 2
    2023-09-15 Fenway 1
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,339
    -According to the WHO Infants should be exclusively breastfed for the first six months.

It's just that sometimes a mother can't produce enough to fill up a particular baby. Isn't it better to supplement so the damn kid isn't starving all the time? That was happening with my son for a couple days and we felt like we were gonna be committing a fucking crime by giving him some formula.

I mean, sometimes the "recommendations" get a little extreme.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • -According to the WHO Infants should be exclusively breastfed for the first six months.

It's just that sometimes a mother can't produce enough to fill up a particular baby. Isn't it better to supplement so the damn kid isn't starving all the time? That was happening with my son for a couple days and we felt like we were gonna be committing a fucking crime by giving him some formula.

Recommendations are just that. Every family needs to decide what is best for them and for their baby.

Sadly, I see too many times a mama give up breastfeeding because she feels like she isn't producing enough. Without support, and access to professionals that can make suggestions for increasing production, it is a huge daunting task for new families. While sad when breastfeeding is not successful, it is understandable why it isnt.

Great things are happening now though. Almost every state has Eats on Feets or Human Milk for Human Babies so that women that cannot or choose not to breastfeed, can still get breastmilk for their babes through a network of donations.
  • vant0037 wrote:
    Say what you want about the benefits or ills of breast-feeding (for the record, I'm staying out of it!), but this is creepy.

http://www.startribune.com/opinion/othe ... 48828.html

Not creepy at all. Children mimic what they see in their families. If they are raised to believe breastfeeding is normal, they will nurse their toy babies. Toy manufacturers don't need a doll to do this, kids do it already.

What is creepy is that breasts have become so sexualized that we limit children's imaginations by telling them that nursing their baby is disgusting or wrong.
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388

Gotta agree here. I was with my sister in the hospital not even two hours after she had her first child...the breastfeeding folks came in and when she told them she would not be breastfeeding, they ripped her a new one and said some very hurtful things to her. For crying out loud, the girl had just been through a major ordeal. I'm not saying that all breastfeeding advocates are like this, I'm just saying that every mother should be able to choose what works for her and not be judged for it.
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2

Recommendations are just that. Every family needs to decide what is best for them and for their baby.

Sadly, I see too many times a mama give up breastfeeding because she feels like she isn't producing enough. Without support, and access to professionals that can make suggestions for increasing production, it is a huge daunting task for new families. While sad when breastfeeding is not successful, it is understandable why it isnt.

Great things are happening now though. Almost every state has Eats on Feets or Human Milk for Human Babies so that women that cannot or choose not to breastfeed, can still get breastmilk for their babes through a network of donations.

Yep that's fine. It was frustrating to feel so guilty for her to not "exclusively" breastfeed, that is all. That's pretty tough when your baby is a Hoover. :lol: Sometimes reality gets in the way.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,823
    Mamasan23 wrote:

Gotta agree here. I was with my sister in the hospital not even two hours after she had her first child...the breastfeeding folks came in and when she told them she would not be breastfeeding, they ripped her a new one and said some very hurtful things to her. For crying out loud, the girl had just been through a major ordeal. I'm not saying that all breastfeeding advocates are like this, I'm just saying that every mother should be able to choose what works for her and not be judged for it.

Wow, that's pretty harsh only a couple hours after giving birth.

What's weird is new moms usually don't even produce anything for a few days, and they give you shit about the baby losing weight. Some of the nurses are just awful. We were thrilled to get out of the damn hospital.

• Wow, that's pretty harsh only a couple hours after giving birth.

What's weird is new moms usually don't even produce anything for a few days, and they give you shit about the baby losing weight. Some of the nurses are just awful. We were thrilled to get out of the damn hospital.

Usually when a mother gets an epidural, she is pumped full of fluids, so the baby comes out a little heavy. They weigh the little boogers before their first pee, and then send new families into a panic about breast milk production not being enough and baby losing instead of gaining.

Maternity care in the US is a completely flawed f'd up thing.
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    Sigh....there's no doubt that I'm going to breastfeed but I'm really not looking forward to how saggy it makes your boobs....mine are small and perky....not for fucking long. Damn babies! :x
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206

Some of these nurses can be quite rude - I was lucky by having some wonderful nurses... :D

I told them - no thanks - I'm not breast feeding, and that was the end of that. But, it was 13 yrs ago... :) nine yrs ago for my son.
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    Sigh....there's no doubt that I'm going to breastfeed but I'm really not looking forward to how saggy it makes your boobs....mine are small and perky....not for fucking long. Damn babies! :x

Don't worry - Ziggy, a good friend of mine ( she's small and perky ) and still hasn't changed much.

She breast fed (3) boys !!!! :shock:
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • LoulouLoulou Posts: 6,247

Totally agree with this. Of course breast milk is best, that's a no brainer but I am on specific medication for Epilepsy that ended up inhibited the amount of milk I was producing and I knew she wasn't getting enough so at 3 months I put her on a combination of both. Jeez did I hear about it from the nurses, they did make me feel like a monster. I was trying to explain to them that it's the medication I'm on and they were like, "Breast milk is best!". Very frustrating!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    I believe in a mothers right to choose but I also think there is a lack of education and help for new mothers. First time around I only breastfed for 10 weeks because I had bad advice from health professionals who were adamant that I had to stick to a 4 hour routine. 2nd time around I had a great midwife who said to relax and let my son feed when he was hungry for the first few weeks. I ended up nursing him for 18 months and really enjoyed it. I plan on training to become a midwife when my children are older.
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • LoulouLoulou Posts: 6,247
    tinkerbell wrote:
    I believe in a mothers right to choose but I also think there is a lack of education and help for new mothers. First time around I only breastfed for 10 weeks because I had bad advice from health professionals who were adamant that I had to stick to a 4 hour routine. 2nd time around I had a great midwife who said to relax and let my son feed when he was hungry for the first few weeks. I ended up nursing him for 18 months and really enjoyed it. I plan on training to become a midwife when my children are older.
    Yeah, I agree. I think sometimes it can come across very regimental and stressful and yet it doesn't have to be.
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
    It is normal for babies to lose weight in the first few days. In NZ there seems to be a stigma either way breast or bottle, everyone seems to have an opinion. It is no ones business other than the mothers. When I started bottle feeding my daughter I had nasty comments and when people found out I was still breast feeding my son after 6 months I got weird looks and comments about being a hippie. As long as the mother has had helpful and kind advice then it is up to her. Most of our generation were bottle fed and we turned out fine.
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    if a mother chooses to breastfeed, what's the normal amount of time they should do so?

i used to work with a woman who would brag about breastfeeding her son until he was 4 years old :wtf:
    i thought that was pretty creepy
    conman wrote:
    if a mother chooses to breastfeed, what's the normal amount of time they should do so?

i used to work with a woman who would brag about breastfeeding her son until he was 4 years old :wtf:

:lol: That reminds me of the movie Grown Ups!

The World Helath Organization recommends mothers feed exculsively until 6 months, then introduce solid food but continue to breast feed until the child is 2. I stopped at 18 months with my son because I went back to work, otherwise I probably would have continued until then.
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    mikalina wrote:
    ZiggyStar wrote:

Don't worry - Ziggy, a good friend of mine ( she's small and perky ) and still hasn't changed much.

She breast fed (3) boys !!!! :shock:

Phew! I hope I'm like your friend... :thumbup:
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632

That recommendation from WHO is complete bullshit and dangerous. Most important is that the baby feeds.

First son, sixteen years ago, we were told that he would have nipple confusion if we tried the bottle, then he wouldn't know how to latch onto the breast, they kept telling her to keep trying. He screamed and screamed, his mother was exhausted. He ended up in the hospital for a week for dehydration. A nurse there was from the Caribbean, she was very helpful, told us that where she was from, everyone shares in feeding the baby - breast and bottle and that there is no such thing as nipple confusion.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,779
    Butthead- Are you gonna feed him with your boob? That would be cool huh-huh :lol:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

That recommendation from WHO is complete bullshit and dangerous. Most important is that the baby feeds.

First son, sixteen years ago, we were told that he would have nipple confusion if we tried the bottle, then he wouldn't know how to latch onto the breast, they kept telling her to keep trying. He screamed and screamed, his mother was exhausted. He ended up in the hospital for a week for dehydration. A nurse there was from the Caribbean, she was very helpful, told us that where she was from, everyone shares in feeding the baby - breast and bottle and that there is no such thing as nipple confusion.

Yeah they make shit up to make you feel scared about giving him a bottle. My son had no "nipple confusion.". He was happy to be full. Duh. :roll:

• DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    81 wrote:
    August is Breast-feeding Promotion Month in Illinois.

Gov. Pat Quinn has designated the month to increase public awareness about how some mothers feed their children.

Illinois Department of Human Services Secretary Michelle Saddler says the state supports and encourages breast-feeding. She also says it wants to remove the stigma that is sometimes associated with the practice.

The department says it promotes breast-feeding though the Women, Infants and Children food assistance program and a peer counselor program that helps women who want to breast-feed their babies.

Breast-feeding is not only being recognized in Illinois. The state recognition coincides with World Breast-feeding Week, which runs until Sunday.

Read more: http://dailyherald.com/article/20110803 ... z1U05QmYfb

:mrgreen:

You being a smoking baby...what's worse smoker's breath or nipple breath?
    conman wrote:

I breast fed until I was 11. Little League was an awkward time for me.
    DS1119 wrote:
    conman wrote:

I was cut off right before prom night.

• conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    DS1119 wrote:
    conman wrote:

your buddies must have been jealous
    conman wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    conman wrote:

your buddies must have been jealous

Umm...you haven't seen my mom.