Peyton Manning takes LESS $$ than is offered

Hugh Freaking DillonHugh Freaking Dillon Posts: 14,010
edited August 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
He signed a 5 year $90 million deal with the Colts. He was offered $20 million per year, but he counter offered the lower amount so the Colts could spend the money elsewhere on the team to make the team better.

"Sure, that's pocket change to him" you say. But still, what pro athlete has ever done that? And let's look at it in relative terms.......if I make X amount of dollars per year (the amount is irrelevant), and they offer me a 5% raise, how many people would say "you know what, give me 4%, and spend the other 1% somewhere else in the company".

NO ONE WOULD.
Gimli 1993
Fargo 2003
Winnipeg 2005
Winnipeg 2011
St. Paul 2014
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    I've only heard the name, don't know who he is NFL player?

well good on him... ridiculous amount of money
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,870
    ..if I make X amount of dollars per year (the amount is irrelevant), and they offer me a 5% raise, how many people would say "you know what, give me 4%, and spend the other 1% somewhere else in the company".

how many people would say "you know what, give me 4%, and spend the other 1% somewhere else in the company and print this good deed in the media so that it gains national attention and I'll be a seen as true team player and genuine leader".

Intangible benefit > monetary cost
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    We've had people here (though its rare) stay in a team for cheaper....

We don't deal in that sort of money. In the NRL there is a salary cap of $3m per season pocket quite low considering it is one of our premier sports in the country...

The reason why they take less is to chase a premiership... Is it about the $$$ or the title?
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    ..if I make X amount of dollars per year (the amount is irrelevant), and they offer me a 5% raise, how many people would say "you know what, give me 4%, and spend the other 1% somewhere else in the company".

how many people would say "you know what, give me 4%, and spend the other 1% somewhere else in the company and print this good deed in the media so that it gains national attention and I'll be a seen as true team player and genuine leader".

Intangible benefit > monetary cost

+1
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    edited July 2011
    this all came after his agent turned down muliple offers to make him the highest paid player in the NFL because peyton wanted more money

the guy makes enough in endorsements. I know he has re-done his contract to help out the colts, but he's not a boyscout

the thread title here is just wrong. peyton is solid until the pressure is on...his ring is a joke. 3 TDs, 7 picks...way to lead your team to a title nerd (he also could never beat florida...year after he left tennessee, TEE MARTIN won the NC).

he's a great QB, that chokes when it matters
    Post edited by The Fixer on
  • PJ88PJ88 Posts: 1,074
    Ted Williams gave back a portion of his salary when he felt that his performance did not justify the pay. I want to say that happened in the 50's.
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Yeah, alot of athletes have "restructured their contracts" or "taken less for their team". Not really anything new.
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    Tom Brady took less at the end of the 06 season so that they could sign Randy Moss. Re-structured his contract so that the team could sign Moss and still stay under the cap.

Also, Larry Bird had signed a contract for X amount of years in the 80's and because of his severe back problems that forced him to retire, he gave the last year ssalary back to the team. Legally he could have kept it because it was a signed contract but he did the decent thing and never accepted that money.

Good for Peyton though. I personally don't like him as a player because he is my fave team's rival and the one team that we seem to always play in the playoff's. But as a person I'm sure he's a great guy and I enjoy the commercials he does. Classy thing he did for his team. Hope he never wins a SB again though. :D
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • And in other news, seniors and people with disabilities may not get their social security cheques next week. what a messed up society.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,577
    And in other news, seniors and people with disabilities may not get their social security cheques next week. what a messed up society.

what a bunch of nonsense that is.
    www.myspace.com
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    And in other news, seniors and people with disabilities may not get their social security cheques next week. what a messed up society.

I was thinking of that yesterday while reading all these free agent signing

Might have to go into work at 1am tonight to open on London time :?

Oh boy
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    +1
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276

Oh boy

should have taken monday off
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    81 wrote:

Oh boy

should have taken monday off

Partner is on vacation this week...it wasn't an option
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    does ed & guys each make $20 mill a year?
    i highly doubt it

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,577
    chadwick wrote:
    i highly doubt it

no. but they are not hurting. :mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com
    chadwick wrote:
    i highly doubt it

no. but they are not hurting. :mrgreen:
    oh i know that. and i love ed and the guys and am not taking shit on them.

when ed and guys and peyton manning retire and or become disabled they won't get paid because their government is bankrupt

manning and vedder better have cash buried in the sand somewhere
    yes/no?

high dollar atheletes scare the hell out of me.
    it shows the truth of were our priorities lie.
    very scary to me

(im moving to a cave in Poland)...(goodbye)

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853
    So apparently he's not greedy enough to take what's offered but his ego is big enough to take almost the exact contract Brady has.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    So apparently he's not greedy enough to take what's offered but his ego is big enough to take almost the exact contract Brady has.

Manning and Brady are the best NFL QB's since Montana and Elway. They should be making top $$ for their position. I agree that 18M per season is insane but that is what the market calls for. Many baseball players make more than that so it's all relative.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853
    youngster wrote:

Manning and Brady are the best NFL QB's since Montana and Elway. They should be making top $$ for their position. I agree that 18M per season is insane but that is what the market calls for. Many baseball players make more than that so it's all relative.

Yeah baseball players are all way overpaid so let's not even compare them. I know that Manning and Brady are great. But this rhetoric that the Colts (and NFL.com for that matter) are spouting out is silly. Peyton took less than offered. But even that is still the tied for the most all-time. If he took less than Brady, I'd say he was trying to help the team. But man, Peyton has made more money than any NFL player ever and they still feel they have to break the bank for him.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,824
    youngster wrote:

Yeah baseball players are all way overpaid so let's not even compare them. I know that Manning and Brady are great. But this rhetoric that the Colts (and NFL.com for that matter) are spouting out is silly. Peyton took less than offered. But even that is still the tied for the most all-time. If he took less than Brady, I'd say he was trying to help the team. But man, Peyton has made more money than any NFL player ever and they still feel they have to break the bank for him.

Like youngster said, Manning is one of the top 2 players at the most important position in the NFL. It's an insane amount of money, but it's what the market calls for in the NFL.
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    Peyton is just the best, there are few who compare to him in terms of outright awesomeness in how he goes about everyday life. His dad raised him to be humble, think about the team first, and to give back to those who gave to him in fan support and community support.

If all pro-athletes, no people, conducted their business and life like Peyton, the world would be a better place.
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,870
    hrd2imgn wrote:
    If all pro-athletes, no people, conducted their business and life like Peyton, the world would be a better place.

They do....dividends.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • some of you people have no faith in the human spirit.

it's all relative people. people in ethiopia could use US as an example of greedy rich bastards who spend money on band fan clubs rather than sending money to the poor.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • And in other news, seniors and people with disabilities may not get their social security cheques next week. what a messed up society.

it doesn't have to be all doom and gloom all the time, friend. just light fluffy fare for those who need a dose of anti-reality every now and again.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    youngster wrote:

Football season: 16 games
    Baseball season: 162 games

So the elite MLB players should be making ten times the amount NFL players make.
  • maybe, but most NFL players don't stand around all game in the field doing virtually nothing. you don't see too many people falling asleep at a football game, now, do you? :lol:
    VoidOfMan wrote:
    youngster wrote:

Football season: 16 games
    Baseball season: 162 games

So the elite MLB players should be making ten times the amount NFL players make.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    Got me there Dillon. haha!
  • brother123brother123 Posts: 792
    I see a woman in the night
    With a baby in her hand
    Under an old street light
    Near a garbage can
    Now she puts the kid away,
    and she's gone to get a hit
    She hates her life,
    and what she's done to it
    There's one more kid
    that will never go to school
    Never get to fall in love,
    never get to be cool.

fucking ridiculous. Pro sports are a fucking joke yet I love my teams..... The amount of money these people make can help fight poverty and such like
  • brother123 wrote:
    I see a woman in the night
    With a baby in her hand
    Under an old street light
    Near a garbage can
    Now she puts the kid away,
    and she's gone to get a hit
    She hates her life,
    and what she's done to it
    There's one more kid
    that will never go to school
    Never get to fall in love,
    never get to be cool.

fucking ridiculous. Pro sports are a fucking joke yet I love my teams..... The amount of money these people make can help fight poverty and such like

fighting poverty and the like isn't all about money. playing Robin Hood won't make all the worlds problems go away.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014