why you shouldnt trust gps

8181 Posts: 58,276
edited August 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Friends coming to town from northern ohio. They were following the gps directions. Gps told them to get off 80/90 in gary and head south. The drove 60 some old miles south before going wtf.

:lol:
81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    We were using gps to drive to Whitby last week and somehow a very easy trip turned into an extensive tour of the North Yorkshire moors.

2 adults, 2 teenagers and a dog were rather bemused.
  • Cool Face RyanCool Face Ryan Posts: 1,254
    yea I didnt like "Blade Runner" either.

woops......wrong thread.

RECALCULATING.......

get it?
    MSG II 5/21/10
    Tres Mts. Gramercy Theatre 3/26/11
    *formerly manutd3581
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    real truck drivers never use anything but a atlas and the like. that said, gps is stupid. gps will get a commercial driver fucked up in a quick hurry, it'll send them into places almost impossible to get out of, like unmarked low bridges that drivers who are fucked in the head will smash into cutting off the top parts of their tractor/trailer.

gps is for lazy stupid people who cannot read a map. people need more challenges than the struggles of 9-5 office work. get off your fannies and travel or study geography. everybody knows gary indiana is directly east of chicago.

81, why weren't you out front on the interstate waiting for your buddy with your cb radio fired up and a cooler fulla cold ones?

81?
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Hearts and thoughts they fade....
    fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.
    that is damn funny

off to the right of your video
    these are real folks doing real shit, not actors doing a tv show
    wtf :wtf:
    http://youtu.be/a2QIH2uz3p8

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    81's friends pulling up to 81's place
    http://youtu.be/5mqCHEf37qg

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Jokertt14Jokertt14 Posts: 2,566
    they might have to update there GPS .
  • Jokertt® wrote:
    they might have to update there GPS .

That's what I was thinking. Mine is 4 years old now and even the city I live in has undergone a lot of construction in that time. I'm not updating it though- I'd rather just buy a new one.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    Friends of mine from Seattle were here for some Camden shows a few years back. They used the GPS to get them out of Camden to their hotel in Cherry Hill. They ended up in Pennsauken, which in some parts, is one step above Camden.
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    after we saw Brad in October in Baltimore, my husband was driving and it told him to turn right -- it was a one way street, the other way...
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    my sister was trying to drive from upstate NY to Long Island, she ended up in Pennsylvania :lol:
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276

i guess, they sort of get what they deserved for listening to a device.

funny thing is, they had visited chicago before. anybody with common sense would go, hey, chicago and toledo are on teh same interstate....guess i will follow that interstate.

wait, what, gps says to go south. i will follow it, even tho i know chicago is west and north once i hit the IL border.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    my first real experience was in St louis seeing ED.

Made me crazy a bit but was glad JB was getting made at 'her' instead of me! :lol:
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,824
    81 wrote:
    Friends coming to town from northern ohio. They were following the gps directions. Gps told them to get off 80/90 in gary and head south. The drove 60 some old miles south before going wtf.

The GPS should have told them to drive through Gary as fast as you can.
    81 wrote:

The GPS should have told them to drive through Gary as fast as you can.

Gary is where they exited the interstate and headed south. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853

I was gonna post this but figured I should skim the thread because it was probably already posted.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    I will need to remember to go to AAA and get actual maps of Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio. Lately the GPS has led us astray, especially trying to navigate to and from stadiums. I don't want to end up in Lake Michigan
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    I will need to remember to go to AAA and get actual maps of Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio. Lately the GPS has led us astray, especially trying to navigate to and from stadiums. I don't want to end up in Lake Michigan

coming from PA, find I80/I90...whichever is closer. get on it headed west. follow that until it merges with I94. take I94 north into Wisconsin, exit at 333 (washington ave, aka 20) take 20 west to east troy. bam. done
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

coming from PA, find I80/I90...whichever is closer. get on it headed west. follow that until it merges with I94. take I94 north into Wisconsin, exit at 333 (washington ave, aka 20) take 20 west to east troy. bam. done

sounds about right, now let's see if I have an actual pencil or pen to write that down.....
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    81 wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

sounds about right, now let's see if I have an actual pencil or pen to write that down.....

they only question that remains is do you take the first or second I94 merger. :lol:

first one is free, but a few miles longer, second one makes the trip shorter, but you incur a hefty toll on the skyway.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    81 wrote:

they only question that remains is do you take the first or second I94 merger. :lol:

first one is free, but a few miles longer, second one makes the trip shorter, but you incur a hefty toll on the skyway.

that's not the exit in Gary is it?
    if you do it correctly, you should never need to exit the interstate between the time you enter it in PA, and when you exit it at mile post 333 in WI.

if you get off in Gary, you have no one to blame but yourself.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    I knew I should have turned left in Albuquerque........
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    GPS has always gotten me where I want to go, but sometimes not the way I'd like to get there.
    RW81233 wrote:
    GPS has always gotten me where I want to go, but sometimes not the way I'd like to get there.

that's why i prefer maps.

having a portable map on the phone is great.

we have started using the system of i drive out of chicago, and swap back and forth on the way down, and she finishes the drive while i navigate.

works good.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    yeah the iphone is great for that...i also usually google maps a long trip and just write down when not to listen to gps. that is particularly useful when i drive to the outer banks and don't end up going through newport news with wife and baby.
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

Don't use a GPS to get to Alpine - met a few people at a show there last summer that tried it and got stuck about 20 miles away in the middle of nowhere!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

Don't use a GPS to get to Alpine - met a few people at a show there last summer that tried it and got stuck about 20 miles away in the middle of nowhere!

head west to IL59. head north on IL59, to US12, to WI120. bam.

that's my route
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    81 wrote:
    if you do it correctly, you should never need to exit the interstate between the time you enter it in PA, and when you exit it at mile post 333 in WI.

if you get off in Gary, you have no one to blame but yourself.

:shock:

How does Gary feel about this?
    How does Gary feel about this?

i'd guess indifferent....i mean, he does stink and all.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg