How can I say no?...How can I say yes?

2»

Comments

• polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    before your brother-in-law goes to rehab ... i would send him in for a catscan ... i suspect he has a brain injury ... possibly from many years ago ... even when he was a kid that was not properly diagnosed ... these brain injuries can lead to sudden mood swings and anger issues as well as dependency on things such as drugs ... it's easy to say he just got addicted to drugs but sometimes its something else altogether ...
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Children are like little sponges, watching, listening, learning 24/ 7.

They understand far more than they can share and will store,
    if even in their subconscious, what they experience.

This for a caring adult can be a bit overwhelming when you think about it,
    when you are trying to protect and teach.

Every word, every moment counts and makes a child the adult they will be,
    mixed with inherent personality traits.

Loved family members need to be on board to this fact and know the importance
    of their interaction with a child. An addict, recovering or otherwise,
    going through their own hell,
    may not be able to be the example they would like to be.

IMO
  • of.the.girlof.the.girl Posts: 10,026
    As hard as it may be, I'd say NO! He needs rehab first and foremost. Him getting clean on his own is going to be tough and more of a chance on him relapsing.

I know first hand how drugs and alcohol can affect a family. My brother has been using off and on for 10 plus years. Fines, jail, more fines, more arrests. Like another person said, How can you NOT say NO! You have to put your children first. As much as you want to help him and give him a place to stay, you can't put your own family in harms way with an addict. To this day I will not allow my brother to my home. He came down twice while he was suppose to be "clean" and stole from me to get a fix. Since then, I will not allow him near me, my house, or my children.

My mother I believe has a drinking problem, won't allow my kids around her either.

You never realize how affected your own family becomes until you let an addict or alcoholic around them for a short period of time. It's the kids who pay the price first. You need to protect them.