Stuff you don't want to see on the road.

2»

Comments

• threefish10threefish10 Posts: 7,392
    Oh a stinger. Never heard them called a stop stick before.
    condescending and sarcastic since 1980
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Illinois drivers.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • dr0ptheleashdr0ptheleash Posts: 1,264
    Definitely the trash - I still see people toss entire fast food bags out their windows. It drives me crazy. I beep at them. Cigarette butts too, another one that drives me mad. Hate it when the person in front of me chucks one and it lands on MY windshield.

Dead animals. So sad. Just last night I was on my way home, it was pitch black and not many other cars were on the road, and I see these glinting eyes ahead, like when you see a cat in darkness. I checked the other lane, swerved out of the way, and I could see very clearly that it was a small/young raccoon. It looked like it had just been struck, but it was still alive. The struggle on it's face was tormenting, and the fact that I knew it would probably be run over within the next few minutes was very tough to swallow down.

What do you do in those situations though? I am a huge animal lover, but is it worth the risk to get out in the middle of the night and risk being struck yourself, in your attempt to help an animal that may very well attack you and/or give you rabies? Sadly, but rightfully so, I decided on 'no.'
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    81 wrote:
    Illinois drivers.

you guys are weirdos...westies call them spike strips...more descriptive

I don't like seeing cherries and blueberries on the side of the road
    and the trash bugs me...we actually have a hotline where people can call in and report people that toss trash in the road...they get a 'friendly reminder' in the mail-from the popo
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    Dead animals. So sad. Just last night I was on my way home, it was pitch black and not many other cars were on the road, and I see these glinting eyes ahead, like when you see a cat in darkness. I checked the other lane, swerved out of the way, and I could see very clearly that it was a small/young raccoon. It looked like it had just been struck, but it was still alive. The struggle on it's face was tormenting, and the fact that I knew it would probably be run over within the next few minutes was very tough to swallow down.

What do you do in those situations though? I am a huge animal lover, but is it worth the risk to get out in the middle of the night and risk being struck yourself, in your attempt to help an animal that may very well attack you and/or give you rabies? Sadly, but rightfully so, I decided on 'no.'

i won't swerve for animals. no telling what is in the lane beside you if it's a four lane road. cars have a way of coming out of nowhere, and around here, there are always other cars on the road. i will slow if i can, but i'm not swerving.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

i won't swerve for animals. no telling what is in the lane beside you if it's a four lane road. cars have a way of coming out of nowhere, and around here, there are always other cars on the road. i will slow if i can, but i'm not swerving.

don't stop for animals...especially on the freeway...

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/l ... crash.html
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:
    81 wrote:

don't stop for animals...especially on the freeway...

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/l ... crash.html

stupid. :lol:

around here, the stupid geese are always in the road. if it wasn't such a big no no, i'd run those fuckers over.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,722
    RKCNDY wrote:
    81 wrote:
    Illinois drivers.

you guys are weirdos...westies call them spike strips...more descriptive

I don't like seeing cherries and blueberries on the side of the road
    and the trash bugs me...we actually have a hotline where people can call in and report people that toss trash in the road...they get a 'friendly reminder' in the mail-from the popo

Cherries and blueberries tossed out or cherries and blueberries growing? :)

Yes, trash on the side of the road- not good! One of the women I work with saw a guy stuck in traffic on the street in front of the bookstore toss a cigarette out the window. She ran out picked it up off the ground and tossed it back through the car window and said, "Here, I think you lost this!" (I'm not sure if it was still lit!)
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    I hate seeing lost dogs on the road.

I have to stop. I know the risks, but I just can't live with myself if I don't do anything. If the dog was vicious on approach, that's different, I'd call the cops & that would be it.

Stopped 8 1/2 years ago to help a stray. Couldn't find an owner, she'd been on her own for a long time.

Now she hogs the couch and the bed, and occasionally shreds magazines.

She is... The Unlost Dog.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
    brianlux wrote:

Cherries and blueberries tossed out or cherries and blueberries growing? :)

cherries and blueberries:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQaCab9euJD_XxBV2cPBr_kNu1Yb47vRXOAOO6UcX458AB2Vgft

- Christopher McCandless
    84 chevy's
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    I hate seeing lost dogs on the road.

I have to stop. I know the risks, but I just can't live with myself if I don't do anything. If the dog was vicious on approach, that's different, I'd call the cops & that would be it.

Stopped 8 1/2 years ago to help a stray. Couldn't find an owner, she'd been on her own for a long time.

Now she hogs the couch and the bed, and occasionally shreds magazines.

She is... The Unlost Dog.

ha...and now we know....the rest of the story
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    84 chevy's

smoking babies that don't know how to do math...

- Christopher McCandless
  • Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    81 wrote:

I learned that the hard way...well it seemed like a good idea to swerve anways. But i almost killed myself and three friends back in college because I topped a hill, not speeding at all, and there was a big ass deer standing there. Hit the brakes and swerved, ended up flipping a t-top camaro but luckily none of us were seriously injured at all.
    Since then....and i hate to hit anything at all....a poor possum or armadillo or raccoon better hurry cuz I'm only slowing down, no more swerving.
    That car was much easier to replace than my ass.
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    “People who claim to know jackrabbits will tell you they are primarily motivated by Fear, Stupidity, and Craziness. But I have spent enough time in jackrabbit country to know that most of them lead pretty dull lives; they are bored with their daily routines: eat, screw, sleep, hop around a bush now and then… No wonder some of them drift over the line into cheap thrills once in a while; there has to be a powerful adrenalin rush in crouching by the side of a road, waiting for the next set of headlights to come along, then streaking out of the bushes with split-second timing and making it across to the other side just inches in front of the speeding front tires.” - Hunter S. Thompson

i too have spent a lot of time in jackrabbit country however there have been several times where the rabbit didn't make it...in fact, my mom's mechanic called her the jackrabbit killer because a couple times the rabbit hopped into the air and right into her grill...rabbits really don't get that they can't beat a Mercedes going 80 :P
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    norm wrote:
    “People who claim to know jackrabbits will tell you they are primarily motivated by Fear, Stupidity, and Craziness. But I have spent enough time in jackrabbit country to know that most of them lead pretty dull lives; they are bored with their daily routines: eat, screw, sleep, hop around a bush now and then… No wonder some of them drift over the line into cheap thrills once in a while; there has to be a powerful adrenalin rush in crouching by the side of a road, waiting for the next set of headlights to come along, then streaking out of the bushes with split-second timing and making it across to the other side just inches in front of the speeding front tires.” - Hunter S. Thompson

i too have spent a lot of time in jackrabbit country however there have been several times where the rabbit didn't make it...in fact, my mom's mechanic called her the jackrabbit killer because a couple times the rabbit hopped into the air and right into her grill...rabbits really don't get that they can't beat a Mercedes going 80 :P

eurp_0712_01_z+1984_vw_rabbit+custom_fender_flares_euro_bumpers_shaved_side_markers2.jpg
  • dr0ptheleashdr0ptheleash Posts: 1,264
    norm wrote:

eurp_0712_01_z+1984_vw_rabbit+custom_fender_flares_euro_bumpers_shaved_side_markers2.jpg

Hunter S and a pretty vdub all in one post?! <3 hahah
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,722
    One thing I DO like to see on the side of the road is money! Only a quarter today but once, walking down the road, I found six bucks (no , not deer, dollars!)
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505
    I don't like to see kids. I was coming home the other night from visiting a friend, it was 9pm. There was 3 year old girl in just a bathing suit, walking alone, no one, anywhere along the road with her. She was looking around pretty nervously. By the time I was able to turn around to ask her what was going on, a cop had come and picked her up. :shock: I hope she is okay. :?
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,823
    dead pets. can handle roadkill though (raccoons, squirrels, deer, etc...)
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    Hoons.
    P Platers.
    Run over Nickelback fans.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014