Stuff you don't want to see on the road.

brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,722
edited July 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
There are some things you just don't want to see on the road.

For me, one of them is some guy who can't control his neanderthal instincts (not that those instincts can't be useful, but you know that kind of guy I'm talking about) and seems to think that driving is some kind of contest to prove male prowess. Ok, ladies, you're not totally off the hook because I know some of you drive this way too, but really, this is mostly a guy thing. When some dude cuts me off or tries to out-gun me on the road, I don't compete and I don't give him the finger- I hold out thumb and forefinger indicating a length of approximately one inch. These guys really have a problem with the size of their member.

The other think I really don't want to see on the road is more dead animals. Just in the last few weeks I've seen several road kills including possum, raccoon, skunk, squirrel, birds a lovely doe and her fawn lying side by side on the the shoulder of a highway and just as heart-breaking, two young coyotes laying dead side-by-side and just today, a soft grey young rabbit that looked like it was peacefully sleeping... but no, dead. True, sometimes these untimely deaths cannot be avoided, but I'm willing to bet a lot of them are caused by careless driving habits.

In the liner to his self-titled CD, Grandpaboy (AKA Paul Westerberg) wrote the following:

"I'd like to aknowledge all my grey & furry brothers, whose gallant attempts at stopping your confounded vehicles has left them crumpled by the roadside. -Don't worry honey, they're only resting.

-Grandpaboy"

Paul Westerberg does not drive. He rides a bicycle. Those of us who do drive- let's be more careful.
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• cbrunelle783cbrunelle783 Posts: 1,025
    Dead cats, don't like seeing dead cats on the side of the road.
    Boston 5/17/10
    Tres Mts. 3/27/11
    EV Solo:Providence 6/15/11 Boston 6/16/11 Hartford 6/18/11
    PJ20 9/3/11-9/4/11

Concert Wishlist: I am Mine, Marker in the Sand, Parachutes, In Hiding, All Those Yesterdays, I Got Shit, Long Road, Light Years
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    I don't want to see on the side of the road "RIP DS1119".
  • Trash! I can't believe people still throw shit out of their car. Get a fucking WalMart bag already.
    Emily
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,870
    Walmart Bags
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • washedinblack91washedinblack91 Posts: 3,078
    pee bottles. no, that's not apple juice..
    and i found dirty panties
    and a used pad.

...maybe it's just the same dirty skank walking around everywhere... :?
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
    eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
    SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!
  • LoulouLoulou Posts: 6,247
    I hate seeing Kangaroos and Koalas. My Father-in-law picked a koala in the park once, bit him on the arm and left a massive bruise. We all pissed ourselves laughing! :lol:
    I heard through some people we know about a family who hit an Emu. It actually smashed through the windscreen, lost it's legs and all it knew was it was being attacked so it started pecking the crap out the people in the front seat. :?
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    pee bottles. no, that's not apple juice..
    and i found dirty panties
    and a used pad.

...maybe it's just the same dirty skank walking around everywhere... :?
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

dead animals is something i never wanna see on the road
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• threefish10threefish10 Posts: 7,392
    edited July 2011
    Loulou wrote:
    I heard through some people we know about a family who hit an Emu. It actually smashed through the windscreen, lost it's legs and all it knew was it was being attacked so it started pecking the crap out the people in the front seat. :?

epic.

i saw a massive snake on the side of the road once, as i drove passed it kinda struck out as if it wanted to try and bite my car, i was like "good luck with that buddy." i came past again not more then 10 minutes later and it was gone.

i once saw a New Era cap on the road and considered pulling over and grabbing it, seeing as they cost about $80 here, but then i thought, "if i do that, how long before i start pulling over and scooping up dead possums off the road for dinner?"
    Post edited by threefish10 on
    condescending and sarcastic since 1980
    Loulou wrote:

epic.

i saw a massive snake on the side of the road once, as i drove passed it kinda struck out as if it wanted to try and bite my car, i was like "good luck with that buddy." i came past again not more then 10 minutes later and it was gone.

i once saw a New Era cap on the road and considered pulling over and grabbing it, seeing as the cost about $80 here, but then i thought, "if i do that, how long before i start pulling over and scooping up dead possums off the road for dinner?"
    :lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Aaah it's fine line between scoring a new cap and eating road kill. :lol:
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Loulou wrote:

ha, but sometimes you gotta feed the family.
    Loulou wrote:

ha, but sometimes you gotta feed the family.
    :lol::lol::lol: And a lizard only goes so far. ;)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    funny-picture-hitchhiking-totally-legit.jpg
    Of my family eating a lizard????? Naaaaah! You don't wanna see that, it's not pretty. ;)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    1103_large.jpg

Sshhh it's a secret.
  • titchinellotitchinello Posts: 3,139
    I hate when your running late, and see a cop car on the side of the road.

also hate seeing dead animals, especially cats.

hate when you drive past a bad road smash, when its not long happened, and you can still see the aftermath.
    Glasgow cathouse-1992-2-23, San diego sports arena-1995-11-06 & 07, Glasgow secc-2000-06-03, Tampa st petes times forum-2003-04-13, London O2 arena-2009-08-18, Belfast odyssey arena-2010-06-23.Leeds 2014 - 07-08
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    Speed humps.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    other cars
  • Green CircleGreen Circle Posts: 5,192
    other cars

:lol: bad traffic day? :lol:

animals in general but cats, birds and beleive it or not geese and ducks...just find it so bizzare to see them dead on the road
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,435
    brianlux wrote:
    There are some things you just don't want to see on the road.

For me, one of them is some guy who can't control his neanderthal instincts (not that those instincts can't be useful, but you know that kind of guy I'm talking about) and seems to think that driving is some kind of contest to prove male prowess. Ok, ladies, you're not totally off the hook because I know some of you drive this way too, but really, this is mostly a guy thing. When some dude cuts me off or tries to out-gun me on the road, I don't compete and I don't give him the finger- I hold out thumb and forefinger indicating a length of approximately one inch. These guys really have a problem with the size of their member.

The other think I really don't want to see on the road is more dead animals. Just in the last few weeks I've seen several road kills including possum, raccoon, skunk, squirrel, birds a lovely doe and her fawn lying side by side on the the shoulder of a highway and just as heart-breaking, two young coyotes laying dead side-by-side and just today, a soft grey young rabbit that looked like it was peacefully sleeping... but no, dead. True, sometimes these untimely deaths cannot be avoided, but I'm willing to bet a lot of them are caused by careless driving habits.

In the liner to his self-titled CD, Grandpaboy (AKA Paul Westerberg) wrote the following:

"I'd like to aknowledge all my grey & furry brothers, whose gallant attempts at stopping your confounded vehicles has left them crumpled by the roadside. -Don't worry honey, they're only resting.

-Grandpaboy"

Paul Westerberg does not drive. He rides a bicycle. Those of us who do drive- let's be more careful.

when someone doesn't realize that driving slow in the left lane or exactly next to someone else going the same speed only INCREASES traffic. get out of the way. no one should have to change lanes to pass you. in the instance i describe the two people driving exactly the same speed next to each other (or going slow in the left lane) are the ones causing the unsafe situation, not the guy trying to pass.

people on the cell phone and/or texting. put it down until you stop people. 99% chance you're not important enough to have to be on the phone and talk to someone at that very second.

large trucks like 18-wheelers next to me. can't stand being anywhere near those things.

smokers throwing their butts out the window. see this everyday. it's littering people. stop it.
  • peacegirlpeacegirl Posts: 835
    TRASH

You don't notice it as much when you are driving but when I'm out running or biking you really see how much trash everywhere...seriously? people can't wait until they get home or to a gas station or anywhere for that matter and put it in the trash can?
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    This happened several yrs ago - but there was a dead person on the side of the road and ppl were calling the Police and Rangers to notify them of this dead person....

The police would tell the callers - we are aware of the dead dear on the side of the road - but everyone kept telling them - Its NOT a dear - Its a dead person !!!! Finally after several hours the police finally decided to investigate since there was so many calls on it - and sure enough - it was a dead woman :(
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    when out in washington state i saw dead porcupines all the time. i lived on the coast and had a 20 mile stretch of hwy to get to (Aberdeen) town. this made me sad everytime. terrible. i never saw a live porcupine out in the woods either. timid creatures.

now back home in iowa i see a lot of smashed raccoons, sometimes 4 at a time. this is fucked up to my notion and could have been prevented if done by a 4-wheeler (4-wheeler = car) and not a semi truck.

the other week a bird flew under my tire. i felt so bad and shouted out "no" and felt terrible. wish we had horses and was 200 years ago or something.

years ago u.s. highway 61 took our land and erected a hwy through it.
    progress will not ever stop in regards to roadways
    today, i cannot drive down our old gravel road where we grew up
    i'll go there sometimes though, sit in our driveway and smoke and think
    cry a bit on the inside

off topic a bit... all that heavy equipment work bulldozing the earth
    good job @ ruining the iowa countryside
    that place is full of indian artifacts
    we used to find that stuff all the time, arrowheads, axes and other flint type tools and weapons
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Seeing dead dogs is really tough for me and I see too many.

I don't remember seeing back home in WI
    the memorials of loved ones who died in car accidents marking the spot
    by the side of the road.

There are a few near me I pass regular with multiple crosses and stuffed toys.
    Names of children on the crosses, parents....the whole family killed.
    Good to remember but sad for the heart.

Once on a rural road going to Alabama we saw dozens on the same winding road.
    That was a little overwhelming.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    skunks...cause you know your car is going to stink for a minute.

ice. i don't like seeing that for sure.

stop sticks aren't the best thing to see either. :lol:

i also don't like seeing car jackers.

bums bug me.

i also hate the people that stand at intersections collecting for charities. only a matter of time till one of them gets run over.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    stop sticks aren't the best thing to see either. :lol: .

Huh? You just won "stump the Aussie". What the fuck is a stop stick?
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    81 wrote:

20080414_spike-strips.jpg

they are used by cops to flatten tires.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    81 wrote:

Stump the American too, I have no clue what a stop stick is :lol:
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    ah, got it.