Surgery

inlet13inlet13 Posts: 1,979
edited October 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
I got a hernia surgery scheduled for tomorrow. I'm nervous about it. I'm more nervous about the anesthesia than anything. When I asked the Doctor he said it was the same drug Michael Jackson used, which obviously doesn't sit well.

Anyone have experience with this sort of thing?
Here's a new demo called "in the fire":

<object height="81" width="100%"> <param name="movie" value="https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/28998869&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt; <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param> <embed allowscriptaccess="always" height="81" src="https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/28998869&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%"></embed> </object> <span><a href=" - In the Fire (demo)</a> by <a href="
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    I had hernia surgery in February 2007. I've also had five or six other surgeries as well. Just relax and you will be fine. Michael Jackson was an extreme case of abuse and neglect by his doctors. Thousands of surgeries go on daily throughout the World and the vasy majority without incidence. One word of advice. Don't try and be a hero while recovering from the hernia surgery. My doctors told me to stay off my feet as much as possible for the first week and to not return to work for two weeks...I was back to work three days after surgery and I caused the hernia to come back. Good luck! :thumbup:
  • P23JP23J Posts: 103
    They gave it to me when I had knee surgery. As far as I was concerned, it just put me to sleep for the process. Woke up from surgery a few hours later and was cold as shit though!

It's pretty common to use it for surgeries. Good vibes coming from me! Good luck!
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    edited July 2011
    I've under gone 5 surgeries where I've been put completely out, it is a little scary but don't they moniter all your vitals throughout the whole process. You'll be fine. Good luck to you.

edit: they DO monitor the whole time, didn't mean to make it sound as they may not.
    Post edited by PureandEasy on
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Took Mr. RK to get his hernia repaired, Mr. RK actually drove home, he felt so good, and your doctor probably shouldn't have compared the anesthetic to MJ's. :?

Propofol is a very safe anesthetic when used properly, it is usually used as a lighter anesthesia (you wake up faster, and don't feel so dopey), and is used for patients that are prone to seizures. (I worked as a surgical assistant in a vet clinic). Deaths usually happen under anesthesia when the surgical assistant/doctor isn't monitoring your vitals...virtually ALL monitors will have alarms when you get into a 'stressed' state.

I had hand surgery last year, and was given Propofol so settle my nerves, but I'm such a lightweight, I zonked out. I woke up and didn't remember talking to the doctor or anything...didn't sing any weird songs to Mr. RK's dismay. :lol:

You'll be fine, take the pain pills BEFORE you feel pain, easier to keep pain away than to make it go away.
    Good Luck, and relax!
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    I haven't had hernia surgery but I've had a few other surgeries, mostly working on the female plumbing. ;)

I've never been crazy about the idea of somebody putting me to sleep and cutting on me. The first time I had surgery, I kept telling my friends that I was more afraid of the anesthesia than the surgery. Everyone kept telling me that I was ridiculous, that thousands of people have surgery every day, look at all the advances in medicine, blah blah woof woof. :roll:

So when my doctor asked me if I was concerned about anything, I told him I was afraid of the anesthesia. He said that was a logical thing to be afraid of because anesthesia is very dangerous. But he said that he was confident in the other doctors he worked with and that he considered them very professional. He made them sound trustworthy.

I don't know what drug they used to knock me out (or if it was the MJ drug of choice :lol: ) so I can't answer your question from that perspective. But there are many drugs that can kill you if you get too large a dose. Doesn't look like you have time to talk with the doctor about it more. But the anesthesiologist will come by to talk to you prior to surgery, so tell them your concerns and ask questions.

Good luck!
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Had my gall bladder out a couple of years ago and was very glad they used an anesthesia that knocked me out, really wouldn't want to have been awake.

Good luck :)
  • inlet13inlet13 Posts: 1,979
    Thanks for the comments, everyone. I'm hoping it goes ok and I fall asleep fast.... and don't wake-up in the middle of the surgery! :o

<object height="81" width="100%"> <param name="movie" value="https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/28998869&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt; <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param> <embed allowscriptaccess="always" height="81" src="https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/28998869&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%"></embed> </object> <span><a href=" - In the Fire (demo)</a> by <a href="
    DS1119 wrote:
    I had hernia surgery in February 2007. I've also had five or six other surgeries as well. Just relax and you will be fine. Michael Jackson was an extreme case of abuse and neglect by his doctors. Thousands of surgeries go on daily throughout the World and the vasy majority without incidence. One word of advice. Don't try and be a hero while recovering from the hernia surgery. My doctors told me to stay off my feet as much as possible for the first week and to not return to work for two weeks...I was back to work three days after surgery and I caused the hernia to come back. Good luck! :thumbup:

Mind if I ask, what you do you do for a living? Does it involve lifting?

• Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    I've had several major surgeries, including a hernia operation when I was a young lad.
    I have a VP shunt which was put in when I was months old, but that one never really worked. So had that "fixed" once and then replaced. Later on I had a wreck and supposedly shattered the shunt, so I had it all over again then. Thank God it's been 15 years since that one and no trouble whatsoever.

Being put under has never really frightened me or anything I guess just because I was accustomed to it from such a young age.

Earlier this year I had my wisdom teeth cut out and they used twilight sleep for that. That was a bit odd to be aware of what that dude was doing in my mouth, even feeling him bearing down on them, but not feeling a thing. That was bizarre....I was conscious the whole time.

But good luck to you....I'm sure you have nothing to worry about at all.
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
    edited July 2011
    inlet13 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

Mind if I ask, what you do you do for a living? Does it involve lifting?

No lifting. I'm in sales and I'm constantly moving around and on my feet. My advice really is to stay off of your feet for as long as possible. If I could go back, I would have done that without a doubt. By the way, what you see in my profile pic is what caused the hernia in the first place. Do not get too close to a dolphin!! :D
    Post edited by DS1119 on
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,080
    inlet13 wrote:
    Thanks for the comments, everyone. I'm hoping it goes ok and I fall asleep fast.... and don't wake-up in the middle of the surgery! :o
    you will be fine. i have had about 15 surgeries on various body parts where i had to be put completely out, mostly ears, nose, and throat, but have had a few ortho procedures as well.

from what i remember they give it through your iv line and for me it entered through my hand and i could feel it get very cold traveling up my arm up to about my shoulder. at which time they asked me "do you taste garlic yet? " and i was like "no..." then they said to try to count backwards from 10 and the last thing i remember was saying "7" and then the next thing i remember was waking up in the recovery room.

just be very compliant with your presurgery instructions. if they say "don't eat or drink anything after midnight" be sure you obey. i observed what was supposed to be a total hip replacement with my team physician a few years ago and the patient had eaten after midnight. they put him under and he immediately began vomitting and nearly choked on it. the physician called off the surgery immediately and the patient had to have it re-scheduled. as long as you follow instructions you will be golden.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Just had coronary-by-pass surgery (open heart surgery) on July 7th.....had no problems being knocked out or awaking up after the procedure. Godspeed
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    tybird wrote:
    Just had coronary-by-pass surgery (open heart surgery) on July 7th.....had no problems being knocked out or awaking up after the procedure. Godspeed
    :o glad you are OK!

I have had several surgeries...hernia and thyroidectomy for 2. My only problem has been getting sick from the anesthesia afterwards which really worried me with the thyroid surgery but they gave me anti-nausea meds so no problem.

You will be fine!
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • PissBottleManPissBottleMan Posts: 4,154
    After 5 colonoscopies, 2 surgeries to remove a strictures in my small intestine and lipotripsy for some awful kidney stones, I can honestly say you'll be alright.

You go to sleep and wake up on the other side.

Good luck on the surgery. Take it slow...allow yourself ample time to heal.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Lizard wrote:
    tybird wrote:
    :o glad you are OK!

I have had several surgeries...hernia and thyroidectomy for 2. My only problem has been getting sick from the anesthesia afterwards which really worried me with the thyroid surgery but they gave me anti-nausea meds so no problem.

You will be fine!
    Recovering nicely, Thank you....the heart attack news at the ER came with a second "little" surprise. The ER doc asked how long had I been a diabetic....he knew there was a problem when my wife and I looked at our watches...and said about 3 seconds. My blood sugar at the time was 580.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    Good luck tomorrow! You'll do just fine. I'm another one who's had numerous surgeries and no problems from anesthesia.
    tybird wrote:
    Recovering nicely, Thank you....the heart attack news at the ER came with a second "little" surprise. The ER doc asked how long had I been a diabetic....he knew there was a problem when my wife and I looked at our watches...and said about 3 seconds. My blood sugar at the time was 580.
    :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Woah, I'm glad you are doing better and hope your blood glucose is down to more manageable levels.
  • Hands boundHands bound Posts: 534
    Definitely ask for anti-nausea meds with the anesthetic. I have a strong stomach, but being put under makes me sick everytime.
    Underneath this smile lies everything
    all my hopes, anger, pride and shame...
    edited July 2011
    inlet13 wrote:
    I got a hernia surgery scheduled for tomorrow. I'm nervous about it. I'm more nervous about the anesthesia than anything. When I asked the Doctor he said it was the same drug Michael Jackson used, which obviously doesn't sit well.

Anyone have experience with this sort of thing?

I'm sure at this point you're recovering but when you feel up to it let us know how the surgery went. Just rest up and take the pain meds! :thumbup:
    Post edited by DS1119 on
  • pinkbutterflypinkbutterfly Posts: 1,391
    I hope you feel better soon.
    My last message to you ~

You're right. You are a monster! You are sick! Get help!

At least, I am not a fuck-up! A lying fuck-up!
  • ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505
    I hope your are recovering well. Take it easy. Love and light to you.
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    Hope all went well....
    I bet you're happy to have it over with
    Take it easy for a bit
    Best to you
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
    You guys/girls are the best!

I'm sitting on my couch having some ice cream and almost back to doing what I always do. Thanks for the kind words. Honestly, the anesthesia was no problem at all. I went in, and didn't even know when they put it in because I was chatting with the Docs and Nurses. Next thing I knew I woke up. Was silly to get so worked up about it before hand... but, I do that a lot. ;)

Thanks again!

• Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    Man that's great to hear. I know it's scary but was sure it would be good. Take it easy
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
    inlet13 wrote:

I'm sitting on my couch having some ice cream and almost back to doing what I always do. Thanks for the kind words. Honestly, the anesthesia was no problem at all. I went in, and didn't even know when they put it in because I was chatting with the Docs and Nurses. Next thing I knew I woke up. Was silly to get so worked up about it before hand... but, I do that a lot. ;)

Thanks again!

Very cool! Don't push it and take your pain meds!! :thumbup:
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,080
    inlet13 wrote:

Thanks again!
    great news! speedy recovery to you.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    So happy everything went so smoothly for you.

Even though you feel a lot better prob a good idea to take it easy for a while.

Great news!
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    Good to hear the procedure went smoothly. :)
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
    Glad to hear your surgery went well! Now take it easy and soon you'll be out catching the waves again.
  • of.the.girlof.the.girl Posts: 10,026
    Glad to hear it went well. Don't be intelligent like I was after my brain surgery and walk to get your pain meds and anti nausea pills. Or drive to go get some fruit b/c thats what you want. Believe you me....it doesnt' go well.

Rest easy and wishing you a speedy recovery.