New Car Advice..Help I Can't Decide

Comments

• Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,359
    RKCNDY wrote:
    and they tried telling me that a Lexus was 'just like a Toyota...same thing!' :twisted:

It is. An ES is just a fancy Camry. What was the problem?

I freely admit my car is a Nissan. (sorry I keep mentioning my Infiniti - I'm not trying to brag or anything - it's just the topic at hand)
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    RKCNDY wrote:
    and they tried telling me that a Lexus was 'just like a Toyota...same thing!' :twisted:

It is. An ES is just a fancy Camry. What was the problem?

I freely admit my car is a Nissan. (sorry I keep mentioning my Infiniti - I'm not trying to brag or anything - it's just the topic at hand)

because I can't afford insurance on a luxury car and I'd rather buy a camry and take all the 'T' emblems off it and slap 'L' emblems on it if I really cared that much...

...should I take the 'H' off my car and replace them with Acura emblems? :lol:
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    RKCNDY wrote:
    are you buying a 'NEW' car are a 'new to you' car?

Hondas and Toyotas are excellent cars, I've owned both, and converted Mr. RK to a 'Honda person'. My Honda is in the shop getting a 90K tuneup now. Even the mechanic said that Hondas and Toyotas are by far the best cars to own (heard it from lots of other mechanics too) reliability wise.

Honda Fits are very inexpensive $10-12K brand new.

If you do end up getting a Honda/Toyota, DO NOT buy a warranty, you don't need it. The dealership was pushing the warranty hard, and Mr. RK was being impatient, and ok'd it. I read thru it, and it didn't cover jack. Basically the engine would have to blow up for them to cover anything. 'Normal wear and tear' i.e. timing belts, rotors, pumps, etc are NOT covered. Google it, and you'll see what I'm talking about. (we got out $ back when I cancelled the warranty)

My negotiating skills were: 1. decide on the make/model I want 2. look at other cars in that same group on the net (autotrader.com) 3. print out all the cars I liked and wanted to look at 4. when I see the car I want, I show the dealer the other cars I can buy and tell them I want the vehicle in that price range

I hate dealerships, and if I'm out there looking at a car in the rain, and nobody comes out within 3 minutes, I leave. I have also got up and left the table when they are being asses. Go with a specific car in mind, if they don't have it, they will try to sell you a different car...I went looking for a Honda, and they tried telling me that a Lexus was 'just like a Toyota...same thing!' :twisted:

New Car

Brand new

It has to last a long while

I won't be doing this again any time soon

So I have to make a wise decision
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
    RKCNDY wrote:
    because I can't afford insurance on a luxury car and I'd rather buy a camry and take all the 'T' emblems off it and slap 'L' emblems on it if I really cared that much...

...should I take the 'H' off my car and replace them with Acura emblems? :lol:

Yeah, I agree with you. Just didn't understand your point. It sounded like you disagreed that a Lexus is just like a Toyota. ;)
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i never viewed infiniti as a luxury brand. :lol:

Lexus is for old people

give me a pontiac. :(
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    StillHere wrote:

New Car

Brand new

It has to last a long while

I won't be doing this again any time soon

So I have to make a wise decision

Honda Accords have a 6 cylinder engine, so they'd be funner to drive than a 4 cylinder-I loved driving the Camaro...V8=vvvvrrrrooooommmmmmm! (also lots of speeding tickets)

A Honda/Toyota may cost a little more up front than a new Ford/Chevy, but maintenance wise, the import will cost you far less in the long run. (I own a Chevy as well)
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:
    I own a Chevy as well

victorvanampen.jpg
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:
    I own a Chevy as well

victorvanampen.jpg

hey! my chevy is still all the same color! :evil:

- Christopher McCandless
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    my girlfriend used to sell cars, so she knows all the tactics and is relentless at negotiating. Thank goodness she can do it as buying a car is something I hate to do. Two years ago she bought a new 2009 Honda Accord, I thought the salesman was going to pull his hair out. There was a lot of back and forth, a lot of details I can't remember. But one thing she did, she told them the payment she wanted, they came back close, but then added taxes, and she goes "oh, no, no, no....I want that payment including everything, I want that to be the amount I write the check for each month, and I am still only willing to put x down."

One thing to remember - always be ready to walk away from the deal. Once they see that you are set on buying a particular car, they know they have you.
    81 wrote:
    i never viewed infiniti as a luxury brand. :lol:

The purpose of mine was to get a manual-tranny sporty 6-cylinder sedan, something which is rather hard to find. I think of Infiniti as a sporty kind-of luxury brand. Also, I think it's more independent from its parent co. than Lexus. i.e. G37 is RWD and has 3.7 engine but Maxima is FWD with 3.5 engine.
    RKCNDY wrote:
    Honda Accords have a 6 cylinder engine, so they'd be funner to drive than a 4 cylinder-I loved driving the Camaro...V8=vvvvrrrrooooommmmmmm! (also lots of speeding tickets)

Base Honda Accord is 4-cylinder. The V6 comes with the, um, Accord V6. Accord V6 sedan doesn't come in manual. :roll: (4-banger sedan and V6 coupe do come in manual)

• front spacerfront spacer Posts: 3,246
    HONDA, HONDA, HONDA!!!

I own a 2009 Civic and an 2007 Element.

If you need a medium size car that gets close to 40 mpg, than get a Civic. They are fun, sporty, economical, and fun to drive.

If you need something with a little more size and functionality, get an Element. I think 2011 is the last year Honda is going to offer the vehicle as it is currently styled. But the Element is absolutely awesome for dogs, kids, camping, tail-gating, road-trips, etc. It is AWD and still gets close to 25 mpg. You'll see my PJ Element in Wisconsin in September!! :D
    Indy - 08.17.98
    Indy - 08.18.00
    Indy - 06.22.03
    Indy - 05.07.10
    EV StL - 07.01.11
    Alpine Valley - 09.03.11, 09.04.11 (PJ20)
    ATL - 09.22.12 (Music Midtown Festival)
    EV Jax - 11.24.12
    Chicago - 07.19.13
    Pittsburgh - 10.11.13
    Moline - 10.17.14 (The No Code Show)
    Milwaukee - 10.20.14 (The Yield Show)
    FtL - 04.08.16
    Miami - 04.09.16
    Tampa - 04.11.16
    Lexington - 04.26.16
    Chicago - 08.20.16, 08.22.16
    Chicago - 08.18.18, 08.20.18
    Boston - 09.02.18, 09.04.18
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    I just bought a new car about 3 weeks ago. God, glad I don't have to do that again anytime soon...

Do lots of research. Edmunds, Consumer Reports, Car and Driver, etc.
    Edmunds is great because not only do they have detailed reviews, but they also show what other people in your area are paying for the same car.

I know you don't want to finance, but if you do...
    Go to a local credit union or bank and see what rates they can get ya'. Then take that to the dealer, and see what they can offer, and make them match it (with incentives) or beat it.
    My local credit union gave me an awesome rate. Took that in, the dealer tried to get me at a rate 1.5% higher. Then after I told them what I was approved for, they matched the rate plus took an additional $500 off the car for financing with them.
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,788
    I agree with the Honda people

I was the original owner of a 99 prelude and it ran so well...... Until the douchebag next door to my Job plowed into it with one of his recycling trucks....... Totaled it :(

I got a sweet settlement and bought a 2011 GMC Terrain v6 AWD. So far I love it! Has alot of standard features others charge for..... Rearview camera kicks ass. Obviously worse on gas than my 2.2L Honda Vtec....... It's great having the room to actually take roadtrips. I'm also excited to drive her to Wisconsin
    mca47 wrote:
    I just bought a new car about 3 weeks ago. God, glad I don't have to do that again anytime soon...

Do lots of research. Edmunds, Consumer Reports, Car and Driver, etc.
    Edmunds is great because not only do they have detailed reviews, but they also show what other people in your area are paying for the same car.

I know you don't want to finance, but if you do...
    Go to a local credit union or bank and see what rates they can get ya'. Then take that to the dealer, and see what they can offer, and make them match it (with incentives) or beat it.
    My local credit union gave me an awesome rate. Took that in, the dealer tried to get me at a rate 1.5% higher. Then after I told them what I was approved for, they matched the rate plus took an additional $500 off the car for financing with them.

in her case, it might be worth "financing" the car for one month if a $500 discount came in to play. you'd need a 30% intrest rate to not come out ahead. (500*12)/20000. even at 6%, it'd only be $100 bucks in intrest, although a bit more hassle
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    StillHere wrote:
    imo manual is the only way to go with a smaller car

thanks for all the input :D

hyundai dealer offers a 20 yr warranty ????

i have yet to check that out...only read up on the standard hyundai warranty which is one of the best as it is

on my way to check out honda on the web

have looked at subarus...like the awd feature too!

I was looking at Subarus too. I like the new Outback, but I would have had to get it with the 3.5 V6...because the 4 cylindar is slow as shit. 0-60 in 10seconds+
    I also was looking at the Forrester. That's a nice little SUV/crossover. I was especially looking at the Forrester with the turbo...but they are damn near impossible to find.
    Subaru stock and parts are way down due to the psunami.

I ended up getting a 2011 Nissan Rouge SV All wheel drive. It was a little more than the Forrester, but it had a ton more options, and drove much better...really hugs the road!
    I really like it...just not liking the montly payments! :( :lol:
    honda...looks good...i hear many many many good things

subaru...i love it...the outback sport looks great

hyundai...the elantra touring ...can't get past that awesome warranty...and it compares..at least on paper (or webpage)

and YES I am most def prepared to walk away if they don't meet my price...most definitely
    peace,
    jo

"Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • ponner1usponner1us Posts: 738
    My wife was offered the 20yr/200,000 warranty as well. Be aware: we asked what the catch was, it seems ALL (including regular maintenance like oil changes) of your service work must be done at the dealer you purchased from, and documented. And that would definitely add up $. Just wanted to let you know to ask your dealer about that.
    Journey Begins: 1992-08-15, Montage Mountain Performing Arts Center,
    Scranton, Pennsylvania

Journey Ends:
    ponner1us wrote:
    My wife was offered the 20yr/200,000 warranty as well. Be aware: we asked what the catch was, it seems ALL (including regular maintenance like oil changes) of your service work must be done at the dealer you purchased from, and documented. And that would definitely add up $. Just wanted to let you know to ask your dealer about that.

last i knew, documentation was all that was needed when performing service. ie, do an oil change at home? keep the reciepts for oil and filter, or if you take it someplace else, keep the reciept.

sounds like a sales hole tatic

it also seems the warrenty is split into two. 10 year/100,000 mile factory warrenty with an second after market warrenty tacked on.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,692
    If you don't mind the occassion verbal jab about being a yuppy, I'd would suggest a Prius. My wife and I went to a Toyota dealership knowing from experience that Toyotas are long lasting and have good resale value. We looked at Corollas but then realized for a little more we could get a Prius. We also noticed that a new Prius was not that much more than a used one (because they REALLY hold good resale value). I'd never owned a new car before (and I'm almost 60, so that says a lot about how dedicated I've been to buying used!) but it made sense to go with new. The savings in gas- we average 45 MPG- actually has helped with the payments quite a bit. Also, check out Consumer Reports. They rate the Prius very high and rightfully so.

What I like about the Prius:
    -Great gas mileage
    -Comfortable
    -Versatile- the back seats fold down allowing surprisingly big cargo space
    -Hatch back allows easy loading, unloading
    -Stereo has great sound (important for music lovers!)
    -Knowing the car will last a long time and has great resale value.
    -Knowing I'm using much less gas than ever before.

What I don't like:
    After three years, nothing!

I must add that I drove a 2011 Prius (called a "third generation" Prius) . I didn't like the dash board or interior arrangement as much, but it's still basically the same car. If I had to find a new car, I'd look for a 2008 or 2009 second generation Prius with low mileage.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux wrote:
    -Stereo has great sound

the stereo and speakers in my tacoma were absolute junk. thank goodness for such a robust aftermarket
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,692
    81 wrote:
    brianlux wrote:
    -Stereo has great sound

the stereo and speakers in my tacoma were absolute junk. thank goodness for such a robust aftermarket

I was surprised at how good the Prius stereo was when I first got it. Standard sound systems in new cars are often marginal. Not so with the Prius. But I will say that having hyperaccusis, I don't push the thing much so maybe others would find my take to be false.

Never-the-less, I'm a big Prius fan. My sister had one when I was looking and I asked her how she liked hers. She said, "I don't know why anyone would buy anything else." My sentiments exactly!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• GivenToLukinKPGivenToLukinKP Posts: 3,076
    brianlux wrote:
    If you don't mind the occassion verbal jab about being a yuppy, I'd would suggest a Prius. My wife and I went to a Toyota dealership knowing from experience that Toyotas are long lasting and have good resale value. We looked at Corollas but then realized for a little more we could get a Prius. We also noticed that a new Prius was not that much more than a used one (because they REALLY hold good resale value). I'd never owned a new car before (and I'm almost 60, so that says a lot about how dedicated I've been to buying used!) but it made sense to go with new. The savings in gas- we average 45 MPG- actually has helped with the payments quite a bit. Also, check out Consumer Reports. They rate the Prius very high and rightfully so.

What I like about the Prius:
    -Great gas mileage
    -Comfortable
    -Versatile- the back seats fold down allowing surprisingly big cargo space
    -Hatch back allows easy loading, unloading
    -Stereo has great sound (important for music lovers!)
    -Knowing the car will last a long time and has great resale value.
    -Knowing I'm using much less gas than ever before.

What I don't like:
    After three years, nothing!

I must add that I drove a 2011 Prius (called a "third generation" Prius) . I didn't like the dash board or interior arrangement as much, but it's still basically the same car. If I had to find a new car, I'd look for a 2008 or 2009 second generation Prius with low mileage.

I went to Toyota to look at the Prius with my (now ex) boyfriend, and he ended up instead with a Camry Hybrid. Infact, we BOTH did :lol: I bought one as well. That was 3 1/2 years ago, and I absolutely love my car still. I sold the dealer my pontiac grand am (I did not trade it in) and it was the best decision ever.
    mileage is super for a larger car--I think I average around 34 miles per gallon (made it from Chicago to Kansas City, MO on one tank of gas).

I know it doesnt meet your specifications, Jo, but just want to say Toyotas are excellent! Good warrantees too. I think nowadays, you may actually get a better warranty on thier "certified" used cars than you do with a new car purchase.
    Makes much more sense...

2011: East Troy, WI 1 & 2; Toronto ON 1 & 2; Hamilton ON
    2012: Berlin, Germany 1& 2; Stockholm Sweden; Oslo Norway; Copenhagen Denmark
    2013: Wrigley Field- Chicago, IL; Philadelphia, PA 1 & 2; Hartford, CT; Vancouver BC; Seattle, WA.
    2014: Cincinnati, OH; St. Louis, MO; Moline, IL; Milwaukee, WI
    2016: Wrigley Field- Chicago 1&2
    hadn't considered the toyotas

thanks guys...something to check into :D
    peace,
    jo

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,672
    I just bought a '12 Outback Limited 2.5i. I love it so far. I got the 4 Cylinder for the gas mileage and the pickup really isnt any worse than my V6 Xterra I just got rid of. Its such a comfortable drive too.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    StillHere wrote:
    would really really love a zippy little mini cooper but don't wanna spend 30 grand
    You could probably find one w/ 40K miles at $20K. The bad part to consider is that it is an import and repair / parts will be costly. But they are a blast to drive, just like a go-kart. Plus, if you reinforce the car with some mod work, you can pull off bank heists. :)
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,962
    Jason P wrote:
    StillHere wrote:
    would really really love a zippy little mini cooper but don't wanna spend 30 grand
    You could probably find one w/ 40K miles at $20K. The bad part to consider is that it is an import and repair / parts will be costly. But they are a blast to drive, just like a go-kart. Plus, if you reinforce the car with some mod work, you can pull off bank heists. :)

Great car. I got an '05 Mini Cooper S two years ago with 44k for $14,400.
    Jason P wrote:
    StillHere wrote:

got an empty box car hanging around for the getaway?
    hehehheee :lol:
    peace,
    jo

the mini runs 30K new. :fp:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Buy a Certified Pre-owned Camry and run the fucker for 20 years.
    DS1119 wrote:
    Buy a Certified Pre-owned Camry and run the fucker for 20 years.
    no
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg