edited July 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
I thought I knew what I wanted

Turns out that I actually have NO IDEA what to buy

The more I look the further away from a decision I get

I "need" a very very very good bumper to bumper warranty

Not planning on trading in

Not financing

Not leasing

Buying Outright and this will be my "last" new car for a long while so it needs to last and last and last and last

but a lot of those types seem pretty bland and boring

Price is a huge factor and I want to keep it as low as possible while still getting the best quality vehicle for the price

and one that's fun to drive

ALSO I need tips on getting the best price out of a dealer (maybe especially difficult since I'm not using their financing tricks)

Advice? all is welcome

Thanks guys

I know I can't count on you :D
peace,
jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
"How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
"Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dr0ptheleashdr0ptheleash Posts: 1,264
    What are some choices that you're looking at, Jo? Narrowed it down to any? Any makes/models you're opposed to? How about ones you just particularly like?? Wishing you the best of luck in your search, my brother's in this boat too... it can be really overwhelming.
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    What are some choices that you're looking at, Jo? Narrowed it down to any? Any makes/models you're opposed to? How about ones you just particularly like?? Wishing you the best of luck in your search, my brother's in this boat too... it can be really overwhelming.

I've had a couple of Ford Focus(es) (Foci??) before and I really really loved them.
    Zippy little car lots of fun to drive
    20K not bad (although my first one was around 10K...see what popularity does for a car?)
    and ford has some great sound tech these days..awesome for the pj collection :D
    not bad on the gas
    but the warranty is not all that fantastic

had a kia before...kinda cheaply made

chevy cruze looks promising but newer chevy's have been kind of unreliable for friends

I looked into the hyundai... great warranty though kind of a boring car

S.I.L. loves his nissan but i find it blah

daughter has a chrysler sneaker looking car forget what its called..but it gives her all kinds of trouble

son has a jeep compass..even MORE trouble...lots and lots of problems there

would really really love a zippy little mini cooper but don't wanna spend 30 grand

subaru awd ??? seems reliable...don't know much about them

there are so many to choose from...i was set on another focus for the longest time but then decided to check out some others and now i'm in a quandary

bottom line =
    fun to drive
    reliability
    eco
    price
    WARRANTY!!!!
    peace,
    jo

"Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    edmunds.com really helped me out a few months ago. first time ever buying a car and i didn't feel ripped off.

http://www.edmunds.com/new-cars/?mktcat ... cj50922506

ignore the msrp. it is meaningless. go online and get 3 quotes. the offer they give you online is always better than at the dealer because they realize you are smart and are shopping around. go with the best one.

figure out the actual cost to the dealer. edmunds will basically tell you. it's something like the invoice price plus delivery charge minus any rebates minus the hold back fee (this is usually 3% of the msrp-its like a commission the manufacturer gives a dealer for each car sold).......to make things easier edmunds will give you something called the true market value of the car, which is essentially the equivalent of that calculation.

my other advice is do this at the end of the month. like in most sales fields car dealerships/salesmen are trying to pad their numbers before the end of the month and are more likely to make a better deal with you.

also--i would suggest going in the evening a couple hours before they close. this way, and assuming this is also at the end of the month, they will have less time to go back and forth with you. just come in with your research and ask to talk to the internet sales guy you got a quote from. you'll know what the car cost them to keep it on the lot. they will realize you've done your homework. they know you have a good idea of their actual cost and, best of all, they've been working 10 hours and want to get the hell home. :mrgreen:

good luck my friend.
    www.myspace.com
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,359
    Maybe try the Honda Fit. It's basically what the Civic used to be before it became a mid-size sedan. I hear it has all kinds of cargo room for a small car. And Hondas are always zippy and fun to drive. I used to have a hatchback (Acura RSX) before I had to buy a 4-door - I loved the versatility.

For price to to edmunds.com and fill out a quote request - you'll get internet quotes from several local dealers. They have to give you the best price just to get you to come in the door. Just take the best quote to your closest dealer. My mom works for a newspaper classified dept and couldn't believe the quotes I got for my Infiniti. If you're trading in you still have to negotiate that at the dealer.

Good luck!!!

edit: looks like Jeags said the same thing. :lol:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    ok guys thanks

so..question

in your experiences

what amount/percent etc. is a fair offer OVER the invoice/cost to the dealer?
    peace,
    jo

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    research research research.....

determine what car you want, and the option package that you need. with all the research you have done, you will know a fair price.

and feel free to let them think you are going to finanace it, if it helps you get a better price.

not all sales people/dealers are the same...find one that you like.

end of the month is good.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    I own a Ford Focus :D
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    StillHere wrote:
    ok guys thanks

so..question

in your experiences

depends on the car. remember, the invoice isn't what the dealer pays....they get kick backs from the manufactuer for hitting certain targets
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    StillHere wrote:
    ok guys thanks

so..question

in your experiences

i got lucky because the quote i got online from this one dealership was actually less than the dealer's cost per edmunds. it was less than i was planning on offering so i was cool with it. so you may see something similar towards the end of the month too...

here's another site to help you:
    http://www.negotiationdynamics.com/Newc ... ng_Tactics
    www.myspace.com
    The 81 wrote:

determine what car you want, and the option package that you need. with all the research you have done, you will know a fair price.

and feel free to let them think you are going to finanace it, if it helps you get a better price.

not financing
    i think dealers probably prefer financing
    but i'm not that's why the actual price is so much more important than what a monthly payment would be
    peace,
    jo

and???

the last model yr focus i owned was an 07
    i hear they have gotten nicer
    and the price sure has risen
    peace,
    jo

seriously considering the hyundai elantra touring car (hatchback 4 dr manual tranx)

any thoughts?
    peace,
    jo

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    StillHere wrote:

and???

and I love it.
    2007 model zetec hatch.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    StillHere wrote:
    The 81 wrote:

not financing
    but i'm not that's why the actual price is so much more important than what a monthly payment would be

sure the dealers perfer financing. they get a cut from the in house banks.

even if you were financing, you shouldn't go in with a monthly number in your head. you should always line up credit before going in.

anyways, i'm not suggesting you finance, i do suggest you don't tell them you are paying cash. let them think they have a shot at finance, heck, let them think you are going to finance and it is likely you would be using their service.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    The 81 wrote:
    StillHere wrote:
    The 81 wrote:

not financing

sure the dealers perfer financing. they get a cut from the in house banks.

even if you were financing, you shouldn't go in with a monthly number in your head. you should always line up credit before going in.

anyways, i'm not suggesting you finance, i do suggest you don't tell them you are paying cash. let them think they have a shot at finance, heck, let them think you are going to finance and it is likely you would be using their service.

ahhhh..gotcha
    peace,
    jo

StillHere wrote:

and???

and I love it.
    2007 model zetec hatch.

same as i had
    zx3 i had 2 of them and my son had 1 as well
    liked them a lot
    peace,
    jo

The Hyundai Elantra Touring is designed by Hyundai Europe in Germany (it's the i30 over there)
    peace,
    jo

StillHere wrote:
    The Hyundai Elantra Touring is designed by Hyundai Europe in Germany (it's the i30 over there)

Manual tranny! Nice. 8-) You should save on the price of the car and on gas for being willing to use a clutch.

That's recently redesigned and supposed to be nice - the NYT just had an article about it this weekend - check it out.

I would still take a look at the Fit - Hondas of course have a better long-term record of reliability than Hyundai. Guy I used to work with was always getting his Sonata fixed up. :roll: And often a newly redesigned car can have more problems than usual.

One more thing, avoid Volkswagen AT ALL COSTS. Some of the worst cars being made.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    My grandpa has a Mazda 3, fun little car.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    Jo, I'd take a good hard luck at a Honda or Acura model that you think suits you. Those engines will run forever with the proper maintenance and tune-ups.
    We were but stones your light made us stars
    edited July 2011
    StillHere wrote:

Manual tranny! Nice. 8-) You should save on the price of the car and on gas for being willing to use a clutch.

That's recently redesigned and supposed to be nice - the NYT just had an article about it this weekend - check it out.

I would still take a look at the Fit - Hondas of course have a better long-term record of reliability than Hyundai. Guy I used to work with was always getting his Sonata fixed up. :roll: And often a newly redesigned car can have more problems than usual.

One more thing, avoid Volkswagen AT ALL COSTS. Some of the worst cars being made.

good point on the redsigned comment. i have a never buy a first model year rule. let them get the bugs sorted out.

its funny how different people have different issues with cars....i work with a gal that has a nissan (i forget the car name altima maybe). she's had nothing but problems with it, yet other owners have had no problems.

i also agree on the manual. in my case, the list price of an auto was 600 more than the manual. imo, manual's are much more trouble free, as long as you don't grind gears or toast the clutch.
    Post edited by 81 on
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Jo, I'd take a good hard luck at a Honda or Acura model that you think suits you. Those engines will run forever with the proper maintenance and tune-ups.

I had my RSX for 8 years and it still ran great, and I got pretty nice trade-in with 85K miles. Still loved the car, but with starting the family and all had to get a little bigger. My wife's Civic is fairly new but runs great after two run-ins with deer.

I love my Nissan (Infiniti) but I'm not a fan of their cheaper cars.

I always hear good things about the Mazda 3.

• ponner1usponner1us Posts: 738
    My wife has the Hyundai Elantra (not touring), great gas mileage, great warranty, very reliable. We've had it over a year and not one problem. I owned a Subaru Legacy and now have a Subaru Forester, love that. My opinion is you can't go wrong with either Hyundai or Subaru. Subaru's get a +1 in my book because the AWD comes in handy for PA winters. Good luck!
    Journey Begins: 1992-08-15, Montage Mountain Performing Arts Center,
    Scranton, Pennsylvania

Journey Ends:
  • pearljgirl2010pearljgirl2010 Posts: 3,428
    i debated between an Outback and a Honda CR-V...went with the CR-V and I LOVE IT!
    Need a tour Travel Agent??? Pick me :-)

Whatever you are, be a good one --Lincoln
    imo manual is the only way to go with a smaller car

thanks for all the input :D

hyundai dealer offers a 20 yr warranty ????

i have yet to check that out...only read up on the standard hyundai warranty which is one of the best as it is

on my way to check out honda on the web

have looked at subarus...like the awd feature too!
    peace,
    jo

so...Colonial Hyundai of Downingtown extends the warranty to 20 yrs/200,000 miles

ok off to honda.com to see what they have to offer
    peace,
    jo

• All points given about how to get best price are mostly correct. Email is probably best. We have to give best price just to get you in. (we meaning I sell cars for a job right now actually at work as I type). Also end of month is good time because yes we have numbers to meet by end of month. But this is not always the truth. I had incentives this month to start I was willing to give away cars because my bonus was more than what I was making on the actual car deal.
    Also don’t short yourself in the process. Let the salesman/woman do there job. That’s what I’m here for to help you make a qualified decision, one that you’re not going to regret in year or two. Go drive the cars you like but not more that 3. After that you lose track of what car had what options and how each car felt after the drive.
    If you have more ??’s PM me.
    You can spend your time alone, re-digesting past regrets, oh
    Or you can come to terms and realize
    You're the only one who can't forgive yourself, oh
    Makes much more sense, to live in the present tense!!
    All points given about how to get best price are mostly correct. Email is probably best. We have to give best price just to get you in. (we meaning I sell cars for a job right now actually at work as I type). Also end of month is good time because yes we have numbers to meet by end of month. But this is not always the truth. I had incentives this month to start I was willing to give away cars because my bonus was more than what I was making on the actual car deal.
    Also don’t short yourself in the process. Let the salesman/woman do there job. That’s what I’m here for to help you make a qualified decision, one that you’re not going to regret in year or two. Go drive the cars you like but not more that 3. After that you lose track of what car had what options and how each car felt after the drive.
    If you have more ??’s PM me.

peace,
    jo

• ponytdponytd Posts: 654
    StillHere wrote:
    imo manual is the only way to go with a smaller car

thanks for all the input :D

hyundai dealer offers a 20 yr warranty ????

i have yet to check that out...only read up on the standard hyundai warranty which is one of the best as it is

on my way to check out honda on the web

have looked at subarus...like the awd feature too!

Subaru's are great cars. I've got an 04 WRX (Imprezza) and love it. I'd like to get a newer one, but mine is paid off and I don't want a car payment right now. I've got 110k miles on it and it still runs great. Plus, Subaru's are some of the best cars to drive in the snow. They are very dependable cars. Honda's are very good too. I've owned 2 and loved both of them. Honda is probably the best car made in my opinion. Hyundai's are ok, but tend to have a lot of little things go wrong with them. That's why they have such long warranties.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    are you buying a 'NEW' car are a 'new to you' car?

Hondas and Toyotas are excellent cars, I've owned both, and converted Mr. RK to a 'Honda person'. My Honda is in the shop getting a 90K tuneup now. Even the mechanic said that Hondas and Toyotas are by far the best cars to own (heard it from lots of other mechanics too) reliability wise.

Honda Fits are very inexpensive $10-12K brand new.

If you do end up getting a Honda/Toyota, DO NOT buy a warranty, you don't need it. The dealership was pushing the warranty hard, and Mr. RK was being impatient, and ok'd it. I read thru it, and it didn't cover jack. Basically the engine would have to blow up for them to cover anything. 'Normal wear and tear' i.e. timing belts, rotors, pumps, etc are NOT covered. Google it, and you'll see what I'm talking about. (we got out $ back when I cancelled the warranty)

My negotiating skills were: 1. decide on the make/model I want 2. look at other cars in that same group on the net (autotrader.com) 3. print out all the cars I liked and wanted to look at 4. when I see the car I want, I show the dealer the other cars I can buy and tell them I want the vehicle in that price range

I hate dealerships, and if I'm out there looking at a car in the rain, and nobody comes out within 3 minutes, I leave. I have also got up and left the table when they are being asses. Go with a specific car in mind, if they don't have it, they will try to sell you a different car...I went looking for a Honda, and they tried telling me that a Lexus was 'just like a Toyota...same thing!' :twisted:
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless