Options

Has anyone bought a record of an artist just because the guys are fans?

into the jaminto the jam Posts: 54
edited October 2008 in The Porch
Personally I have bought Neil Yong records just because they are huge fans of Mr. Young and all that thing of him about being called the godfather of grunge

...and of course I think he is awesome...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    GivenToJam88GivenToJam88 NJ Posts: 1,187
    Neil Young is the man - MSG this December!!
    2006: 5/28
    2008: 6/19, 6/24, 6/25
    2009: 6/14 (EV), 10/27, 10/28
    2010: 5/17
    2011: 6/21 (EV), 6/22 (EV), 9/11, 9/12
    2012: 9/2
    2013: 10/15, 10/16, 10/19, 10/21, 10/22, 10/27, 11/23, 11/24
    2014: 10/19
    2016: 5/1, 5/2, 5/8
    2018: 8/20, 9/2, 9/4
  • Options
    Close... I bought Sleater-Kinney because they were going to be the opening band and I wanted to check them out and be familiar with some of their stuff prior to seeing them.

I couldn't even give away the thing and our family looked on with horror the first time I put it into our car's cd player. I've since learned that my taste varies quite a bit from what a lot of the guys in the band enjoy.
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    Yes and no. All of the older influences and contemporary bands I already have or know. I have checked out younger or new openers over the years and bought a few that I kind of liked. Idlewild (liked ), KOL (not too impressed), MMJ (don't like). I'm sure there are more but can't think right now. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    i've been looking for quadrophenia in vinyl but instead i've got who's next. still good i guess.. ;)
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
    eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
    SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!
  • Options
    they introduced me to ben harper and social distortion (mikes shirt on latg), but i checked out some songs before i bought their cds.
  • Options
    allstar340allstar340 NYC Posts: 804
    i've been looking for quadrophenia in vinyl but instead i've got who's next. still good i guess.. ;)
    I'd heard it before, but I listened to Tommy religiously after night 1 at MSG.
    pretty life changing.
    Never listened to anybody else just because of Pearl Jam though. And I dont think I even listened to Tommy specifically because of them, my friend was telling me the Who were amazing after Eddie made the comments about the vinyl.
    08 -MSG I.eV Newark.Stone in BK. 09 -Spectrum II,III,IV. 10- Prudential Center.MSG I,II. Bridge School Benefit Nights I, II. 11- eV NY I, II. Bridge School Benefit Night II (eV solo). 12- Made in America Festival. 13- Oakland. 14- Bridge School Benefit Nights I, II. 17- eV Ohana. 18- Seattle I, II. 21- SHN. 22- ev & Earthlings Beacon, MSG, Camden. 23- eV & Earthlings Ohana. 24 - MSG I, II
  • Options
    nothingman44nothingman44 Posts: 1,495
    i will never even entertain the thought of buying a Sleater-Kinney album.
  • Options
    i heard them on a DVD that i cant think of right now, the one where i think she fills in for chris on hunger strike, and i gotta say... that voice... eesh.... but you know, as long as she enjoys what she's doing, to each their own i guess
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
    eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
    SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!
  • Options
    allstar340allstar340 NYC Posts: 804
    yeah
    I never understood why they are considered to be so good by Eddie.
    I guess we dont have to agree on everything haha
    08 -MSG I.eV Newark.Stone in BK. 09 -Spectrum II,III,IV. 10- Prudential Center.MSG I,II. Bridge School Benefit Nights I, II. 11- eV NY I, II. Bridge School Benefit Night II (eV solo). 12- Made in America Festival. 13- Oakland. 14- Bridge School Benefit Nights I, II. 17- eV Ohana. 18- Seattle I, II. 21- SHN. 22- ev & Earthlings Beacon, MSG, Camden. 23- eV & Earthlings Ohana. 24 - MSG I, II
  • Options
    Soulfire42 wrote:
    Close... I bought Sleater-Kinney because they were going to be the opening band and I wanted to check them out and be familiar with some of their stuff prior to seeing them.

I couldn't even give away the thing and our family looked on with horror the first time I put it into our car's cd player. I've since learned that my taste varies quite a bit from what a lot of the guys in the band enjoy.

Funny I did same thing, to check out what they played. Never even made it a complete song. I kept hitting next, listen for about 40 seconds and hit Next again. I gave it to my 1 year old, she thought it looked pretty.
    Lizardking

http://www.myspace.com/lizardkings1

(This Post May Have Been Edited By AT&T)
  • Options
    gndcd402gndcd402 Posts: 2,558
    well...i picked up mmj stuff after i saw them open and have loved them ever since :)

how about an artist you should listen to cuz i say so ;) Serj Tankian (former singer of System of a Down) has a solo record that is PHENOMENAL!!!!
  • Options
    silas23silas23 SoCal Posts: 99
    I really got into The Clash and The Who because of them. Quadraphenia is now one of my favorites....

They got me into Neil awhile back to. I have seen Neil 21 times since, only 2nd to PJ.....
  • Options
    JP2026766JP2026766 Posts: 1,125
    Soulfire42 wrote:

Same with me.

Mansfield II '08

EV Solo Shows:

NYC I
    NJPAC

I. LOVE. YIELD.
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
    They have certainly helped me explore other bands like Neil and REM.
  • Options
    JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    I bought Neil young CDs because of the guys.
    There are bands that i discovered thanks to pearl jam: Kings of Leon, My morning jacket, the black keys. And obviously, bands like brad, wellwater conspiracy or temple of the dog.
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • Options
    The Who
    Neil young
    sleater kinney
    kings of leon
    bruce

love em all.
    ...The Moon is Rollin' Round....
  • Options
    Neil Young.

I want to investigate Ben Harper further too.
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options
    of course!

one of the best ways to find out about "new" music is to find someone who you think has similar musical tastes and work on their recommendations
  • Options
    I haven't bought any cd but I got into a couple of bands for the guys
    "You're the eve of my destruction in the garden of fears"
  • Options
    I bought the Dead Boys first album after hearing them play Sonic Reducer at a live show.
  • Options
    nope, just not my thing
  • Options
    bernmodibernmodi Posts: 631
    Neil Young and the Who. I'm glad about that. I also bought hovercraft's experiment below - not so glad about that one.
  • Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,696
    I've found some really great music through this band.
  • Options
    I usually check out the bands that open for PJ- that's how I discovered and now love KOL
    "I can't hear you, you're trailing off and did I catch a niner in there? Were you calling from a walkie-talkie?"

"No, it was cordless."
  • Options
    Wow, i guess i'm one of the few that actually understand why PJ or maybe just Ed liked Sleater-Kinney. Now, i agree the voice is an aquired taste, but these chicks rock. I've never heard anyone play guitar like Carrie Brownstein and Janet Weiss is up there with Matt as far as drumming goes. The lyrics can be pretty deep at times if you can get past the voice. I actually like the voice, I couldn't imagine SK with any other vocalist. Anyway, I think it was in a RS interview that Ed was asked what music he was listening to and he mentioned SK and Cat Power. I checked both out and I liked them. A few months later they annouced that SK would tour with them and It got even better. Anyway, yes there have been a ton of bands that PJ have introduced me to. It's better to get recommendations from your friends than from the mainstream media.
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,509

ditto.
    yuck!
    as for young and the who it's not because of pj, it's because my 'rents played them so i grew up listening.
    KOL - again not because of pj. because the sex on fire vid is kinda hot. hehehe...yeah, i said it. what.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options
    dpmaydpmay Posts: 643
    man, there's some real antipathy for sleater-kinney around here, eh? for me, i was sorta ambivalent towards 'em until i saw them open up for PJ in 03, and i gotta say those chicks won me over, they wail (in the good way...) i didn't find them to be an aquired taste at all and dug them right away once i started actually listening to them...to each their own i guess...

(but surely no one has a problem with corin tucker in hard sun...)
  • Options
    mjbmjb Posts: 1,315
    band introduced me to KOL, MMJ, Wintersleep and Liam Finn...all of which have become standard in the rotation for me (most have also been passed along to countless friends and family who have become fans) - seems my tastes have almost always aligned pretty well with music connected to the band (with a few notable exceptions - SK comes to mind)
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,780
    No

I've been a Who fan for 30 years, I ddn't need Ed or PJ to introduce me to them :D

and I've been a Neil fan for longer that PJ have been around

other than that, there's really no one else out there that i've heard that makes me want to go out and buy their stuff
  • Options
    After that Doug Pinnick performance with WMA Atlanta 94 I almost got tempted to getting into Kings X just for kicks, but keep forgetting. Maybe I'll go to Imeem later.
    model role model