Houseguests

unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
edited July 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
...so a couple of weeks ago Mr. Unlost says, "A friend of mine is going to stay with us over the 4th of July weekend."

So I grunt, or nod, or gesture in some meaningless way that made him think I was actually paying attention.

A day or two before the arrival, he mentions it again and I go :o and tell him he has to put fresh sheets on the spare room bed.

Turns out the guest is someone he hasn't seen since high school... they reconnected on FaceBook... and he's staying for a WEEK, not the weekEND. :?

No, thus far he hasn't slaughtered us in our sleep, stolen our identities or (as far as I can tell) pranced around the house wearing my underwear and Mr. Unlost's fire department helmet.

The evening before last, Houseguest says, "Oh, by the way _ I have to apologize..." (at this point my stomach clenches and my teeth start grinding) "...I had the hungry horrors in the middle of the night and came downstairs and ate half of a tuna sub that was in the fridge. I hope it wasn't yours."

So I'm thinking, a. What if that was my lunch for the next day? 2) What else are you doing in the middle of the night in my kitchen? and iii: What tuna sub?

Later, I ponder the latter question. What tuna sub? So I ask Mr. Unlost the next day. "Did you have a tuna sub in the fridge?" No he did not. But then we remembered that one night the previous week, I was going to be coming home late so he bought me a tuna sub that I didn't finish.

My my calculations, it was about 10 days old when our houseguest ate it.

:sick:
15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    HAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!!!!!

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    I hope it wasn't yours."

does this guy know of others living in your house besides you & mr unlost? i'd be concerned ;) :think: :problem:
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,435
    ...so a couple of weeks ago Mr. Unlost says, "A friend of mine is going to stay with us over the 4th of July weekend."

So I grunt, or nod, or gesture in some meaningless way that made him think I was actually paying attention.

A day or two before the arrival, he mentions it again and I go :o and tell him he has to put fresh sheets on the spare room bed.

Turns out the guest is someone he hasn't seen since high school... they reconnected on FaceBook... and he's staying for a WEEK, not the weekEND. :?

No, thus far he hasn't slaughtered us in our sleep, stolen our identities or (as far as I can tell) pranced around the house wearing my underwear and Mr. Unlost's fire department helmet.

The evening before last, Houseguest says, "Oh, by the way _ I have to apologize..." (at this point my stomach clenches and my teeth start grinding) "...I had the hungry horrors in the middle of the night and came downstairs and ate half of a tuna sub that was in the fridge. I hope it wasn't yours."

So I'm thinking, a. What if that was my lunch for the next day? 2) What else are you doing in the middle of the night in my kitchen? and iii: What tuna sub?

Later, I ponder the latter question. What tuna sub? So I ask Mr. Unlost the next day. "Did you have a tuna sub in the fridge?" No he did not. But then we remembered that one night the previous week, I was going to be coming home late so he bought me a tuna sub that I didn't finish.

old friends/acquintances wanting a place to stay - reason number 4,872 not to be on Facebook :D
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    norm wrote:
    I hope it wasn't yours."

does this guy know of others living in your house besides you & mr unlost? i'd be concerned ;) :think: :problem:

Well, Eyed has been in my basement for quite some time now.

:shh:
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013

No, thus far he hasn't .... (as far as I can tell) pranced around the house wearing my underwear and Mr. Unlost's fire department helmet.

:lol::lol::lol: I just got the funniest picture in my head...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTLxKZqEoAwIuSPCHV3rhKcDXjdVR3WfJWyEW815pA-XAGfpGaB +images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSz_U0o0wolarHPWHcbVzR9mF5ZGWp7MKjlo2RBZDEYMSPStTi_Mg

:lol::lol::lol:

reminds me of the time some friends came to stay...I had made peanut butter dream bars, and they were really rich...if you eat too much, you'll get sick. So our houseguest has eaten the rest of the pan (it was 2/3 full). I came home and he tells me...where's your pepto or alka seltzer? and he's moaning and groaning...
    I ask, 'Are you ok?!?!" he goes..."that peanut butter stuff was awesome..." Mr. RK and I start to go : :lol::lol::lol:

I'm sure 'everything will come out ok' for your houseguest at some point or another....
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    mmmmm......tuna sub. now I am hungry
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Tuna sub? Is that kind of like a grinder?

In my neck of the woods, a grinder is a girl who dances with a pole.

Some might say "Hogie!"
    ;)
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    yikes!
    a week?!
    :o :shock: :o
    i can handle a houseguest 1-2 days max....and that's even if they are my friend or family.
    :lol:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    norm wrote:
    I hope it wasn't yours."

Well, Eyed has been in my basement for quite some time now.

:shh:

really, who did he think it belonged to, the boogey man?

And what ever did happend to Eyed? Does anybody know?
    Other names

Blimpie (shaped like a blimp) From the Hoboken, New Jersey founded chain, Blimpie.
    Bomber (shaped like a bomber plane)— Upstate New York
    Cosmo (cosmopolitan)—North Central Pennsylvania near Williamsport
    Filled Roll—New Zealand
    Barb Mills, (Ham and provolone cheese, baked)—North Central Pennsylvania, Jersey Shore, Pennsylvania in the 50's and 60's
    Grinder (Italian-American slang for a dock worker)—New England, Inland Empire of Southern California.[4] Called grinder because it took a lot of chewing to eat the hard crust of the bread used. In parts of Pennsylvania, the terms grinder and hoagie are both used, with the term grinder referring to a sandwich that has been heated. In eastern Massachusetts a Grinder is a toasted sub, for example the sub is toasted in a pizza oven.
    Hoagie—Southern New Jersey and South-East Pennsylvania - Usually denotes lettuce, tomato and onions included.
    Italian Sandwich—Maine and other parts of New England.
    Poor boy—St. Louis
    Po' Boy—Louisiana
    Rocket (shaped like a rocket)—various areas.
    Continental Roll Australia[18]
    Sous-marin—a variety popular in Montreal
    Spuckie (Italian-American slang for a long roll)—Boston, Massachusetts (used particularly in Italian immigrant neighborhoods)
    Sub—New Jersey, Massachusetts
    Torpedo (shaped like a torpedo)—New York, New Jersey, other areas.
    Tunnel—Various New England areas.
    Spiedie Southern Tier of New York, especially Binghamton.
    Wedge (served between two wedges of bread)—Prevalent in Yonkers, New York and other parts of Westchester County, New York, The Bronx, lower Fairfield County, Connecticut, and portions of Upstate New York.[19]

My gawd! 13 different names for a 'sandwich'!
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,435

In my neck of the woods, a grinder is a girl who dances with a pole.

Some might say "Hogie!"
    ;)

H-O-A-G-I-E - amateurs in Ma. :lol:

and a Grinder is a hot hoagie.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146

he didn't renew

that or the mountain goats finally got him :lol:
    norm wrote:

he didn't renew

that or the mountain goats finally got him :lol:

Yes, that's the story. One of those.

Off to go rattle some chains and toss him a chipmunk carcass...
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    I get a bit nervous about house guests, I worry they'll go through my cupboards and fiddle with things.

Maybe I could make them put on boxing gloves as soon as they arrive.
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    ...or (as far as I can tell) pranced around the house wearing my underwear and Mr. Unlost's fire department helmet.

evanfirehat-1.jpg

i dunno... midnight firemen are kinda cute sometimes ;)
    at least at my house
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
    StillHere wrote:
    ...or (as far as I can tell) pranced around the house wearing my underwear and Mr. Unlost's fire department helmet.

evanfirehat-1.jpg

at least at my house

I agree, that is cute.

Does he like tuna?
    :shock: :lol: :?
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    StillHere wrote:

evanfirehat-1.jpg

at least at my house

I agree, that is cute.

Does he like tuna?
    :shock: :lol: :?

could be your culprit
    (even he wouldn't touch 10 day old tuna) :lol:
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    That's just horrific, unlost. The sub is just the stale frosting on the cake. I'm pretty sure whatever he felt afterward was punish enough for doing that. So how much longer is this lasting? You guys should pull pranks on him till he leaves. By the way RKCNDY, great list on subs. I had no clue on more than half those.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    That's just horrific, unlost. The sub is just the stale frosting on the cake. I'm pretty sure whatever he felt afterward was punish enough for doing that. So how much longer is this lasting? You guys should pull pranks on him till he leaves. By the way RKCNDY, great list on subs. I had no clue on more than half those.

He actually is a sweet guy. The sub thing threw me for a loop, though. :shock:

It has given me a great idea for what I can bring to PJ20 tailgating... tuna salad.

Maybe I'll make you some for before the MMJ show. I'll make it this weekend. When's the show, Aug. 14?
  • LoulouLoulou Posts: 6,247
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    Alas, no PJ20 means no PJ20 tuna salad for me. Damn.

Yup. August 14. :mrgreen: I'm actually trying to convince youngster to come as well. Should be a blast.

By the way, a week-old half tuna sub with dog hair all over it is probably one of the most disgusting things I can think of. I physically want to be sick just typing that.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    holy crap
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    ***insert picture of dog pop here***

This is depressing I cannot post pics for posterity from my phone :(

Dog pop? EMma you auto correct!

- Christopher McCandless
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    Not that I am trying to kill time at work, but I just discovered that SUBWAY uses the term "footlong" in metric-system countries.

53 more minutes until I leave for the Eddie show tonight!
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,722
    This story gives new meaning to the old adage that company, like fish, stink after three days. I try very hard to keep to that rule- both are out after three days.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• KatyzKatyz Posts: 838
    brianlux wrote:
    This story gives new meaning to the old adage that company, like fish, stink after three days. I try very hard to keep to that rule- both are out after three days.

Ben Franklin was a wise man!!! Unlost....I'm amazed you kept your cool about the week long stay....but how funny is that story...no tuna for me for a while :?

BTW which day are you seated at PJ20?
    I believe the seats will be Sunday night. You?

Fenway, can I interest you in a jar of mayo I found at the back of the cabinet, with a 2006 expiration date? It's never been opened, I'm sure it's fine.

(see, about at this point I wish I was kidding.)
  • KatyzKatyz Posts: 838
    I believe the seats will be Sunday night. You?

Fenway, can I interest you in a jar of mayo I found at the back of the cabinet, with a 2006 expiration date? It's never been opened, I'm sure it's fine.

(see, about at this point I wish I was kidding.)

Fenway...don't do it!!! :lol::lol::lol:

I'm seated on Sunday too! Lawn party Sat????
    Oh, and where are you staying?
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    psst....all the cool kids are on the lawn on sunday
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg