sad list from Time- stuff kids today will never experience

2»

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    RKCNDY wrote:
    How about... the clatter of a screen door _ a real, wooden screen door with a hook-and-eye lock _ slamming shut on a summer day as you step out onto your porch?

Curse these well-fitting, lightweight, perfectly sealed and nearly silent modern screen doors...because I still walk into them on occasion...

fixed!

holy crap
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    The 81 wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:
    How about... the clatter of a screen door _ a real, wooden screen door with a hook-and-eye lock _ slamming shut on a summer day as you step out onto your porch?

Curse these well-fitting, lightweight, perfectly sealed and nearly silent modern screen doors...because I still walk into them on occasion...

fixed!

holy crap

Wait, what?!? That wasn't me, that was Sailor the Lab!
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    mikalina wrote:
    tinkerbell wrote:
    We use our landline heaps more than our mobiles (mainly because of the ridiculous cost of cell calls in NZ). When our daughter was born we only had a film camera so have stacks of photos of her. When our son was born we had a digital and have hardly any physical pics of him, they are all on the computer.

This is so true- I have albums and albums of my daughter - but my son's photo's are all digital and since I'm not computer smart - they seem forever stuck on the computer ... :)

my kids are (4) yrs apart and what a big difference in technology in just 4 yrs.

I am the opposite of this - most of the pictures of my kids when they were young are physical pics and it drives me nuts. I love having all the digital pics, its a lot easier for me to organize them and look through them all.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    mikalina wrote:
    tinkerbell wrote:
    We use our landline heaps more than our mobiles (mainly because of the ridiculous cost of cell calls in NZ). When our daughter was born we only had a film camera so have stacks of photos of her. When our son was born we had a digital and have hardly any physical pics of him, they are all on the computer.

This is so true- I have albums and albums of my daughter - but my son's photo's are all digital and since I'm not computer smart - they seem forever stuck on the computer ... :)

my kids are (4) yrs apart and what a big difference in technology in just 4 yrs.

I am the opposite of this - most of the pictures of my kids when they were young are physical pics and it drives me nuts. I love having all the digital pics, its a lot easier for me to organize them and look through them all.

I like the old school pics...when they were square (4"x4") with the rounded corners.....and also the ones with the date in the corner...not the burned in kind...they would print them in the corner...I think when you got them developed.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    RKCNDY wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    mikalina wrote:

I like the old school pics...when they were square (4"x4") with the rounded corners.....and also the ones with the date in the corner...not the burned in kind...they would print them in the corner...I think when you got them developed.

some of my baby pictures are black and white, I am old
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

the kids are taking retro B&W pix on their cell phone cameras again these days
    so much more expressive in many instances

but yep, we're old
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    StillHere wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

but yep, we're old

do you have the b/w pics with the white border and the fancy edging on them too? :lol::lol::lol:

my dad was a camera freak...he'd take pics of me with all the old cameras he'd fix up. I have lots of those 12x18 old school pics taken with...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSwMTNNROjumx3dOxbV0Jra4Yg-bSDASrs_ggFt_Ko79oKBHEL3

I even still have a case that he'd keep the plates in...for all you kiddies out there, there were these plates (like for an x-ray) and you'd have to load the camera with a plate, take the picture with the huge dinner plate sized flash bulb that would blind you, then pull the plate out, and go to the dark room to develop it. I usually looked like a deer caught in headlights... :lol:
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    RKCNDY wrote:
    StillHere wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

but yep, we're old

do you have the b/w pics with the white border and the fancy edging on them too? :lol::lol::lol:

my dad was a camera freak...he'd take pics of me with all the old cameras he'd fix up. I have lots of those 12x18 old school pics taken with...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSwMTNNROjumx3dOxbV0Jra4Yg-bSDASrs_ggFt_Ko79oKBHEL3

I even still have a case that he'd keep the plates in...for all you kiddies out there, there were these plates (like for an x-ray) and you'd have to load the camera with a plate, take the picture with the huge dinner plate sized flash bulb that would blind you, then pull the plate out, and go to the dark room to develop it. I usually looked like a deer caught in headlights... :lol:

i do! B&W photos w the white rippled edge...very shiny!

even better...i have a plate engraving of my great grandmother that was used in a newspaper article about her waaaaaayyyy back in the day! now that's Old! :)

My mom has shoe boxes FULL of those old B&W photos...so much fun to look through them all and try to see if we can tell who's who...for the most part we can...like my dad for instance, seems he looked the same when he was 30 as he did when he was 80!!! LOL! to funny
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    I love phyiscal photos, in albums. I feel guilty that my daughter has a full album and my sons is barely half. Although that may have more to do with the exitement of the first born :?

All my childhood pics are the rounded edged square & rectangle pics.
    all you need is love, love is all you need