hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
edited July 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
http://www.time.com/time/specials/packa ... 80,00.html

not at all what you will expect! Sad none the less

I FEEL OLD
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    That first one made me laugh, the camera film.

My sister gave her 10 year old son a disposable camera to take on a class trip. He took the pictures, then threw the camera away. He thought they automatically went to their computer. :lol:
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    i disagree with the first 3. there are people who still shoot film, still have landlines and still buy real books. as to the other 7, most really aren't truly losses, except maybe for getting lost....:P
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    I still read books and newspapers, there's just something about turning the pages as you read that I will never give up.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    kids will never experience typewriters...went to a street fair-a lady makes jewelry from old typewriter keys, and these 2 little girls 5/6 were fascinated with the typewriter...

and I read an article that said kids today know what the 'SAVE' button is...but they don't know what the picture is of, because they have never seen a disk before

also on some cell phones, there is a picture of a cassette for voicemail...kids don't know what that is either
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    i think i've told this story before so short and sweet

when one of my daughters was in middle school
    she had basketball practice after school on an unscheduled day and hadn't remembered to tell me
    she needed to call me from the youth center where practice was held to let me know that she wouldn't be coming home after school
    after worrying for a bit at what was keeping her so long
    i received a call from a good humored basketball coach
    and my daughter in the background sobbing loudly (she does that)
    seems my daughter was late for basketball practice
    not because she was not in the building
    but because she had spent a good deal of time at the payphone in the hall
    trying to call me to say she'd be late
    seems the payphone was an old dial phone
    which she'd never seen before!
    she had no idea how to operate it
    and couldn't make the call
    after showing up at the coach's office crying her eyes out with frustration
    the openly amused coach gave me a call from his office phone
    she was just beside herself!
    (this was in the mid-90s)
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    i disagree with the first 3. there are people who still shoot film, still have landlines and still buy real books. as to the other 7, most really aren't truly losses, except maybe for getting lost....:P

yes there are but do you think your average 15 year old does? me thinks not ;) :P
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889

Funny about kids not experiencing getting lost. In my younger days, I loved to just drive and get lost on back roads and through small towns. You knew certain routes & rivers and stuff, so you were never really lost, but you got to see a bunch of stuff that you'd never see otherwise.

We actually just recently got a landline again for the first time in 10 years. We switched to verizon fios, and it was actually cheaper in getting the package with a phone than without. I guess it kind of comes in handy, both my wife and I's cell phone numbers are a different area code, so having a local number is easier for stuff like doctors and school etc.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    funny, #10 - my kids got me the double dvd set of Conan The Barbarian and Conan The Destroyer for Christmas, so they have experienced that, plus they enjoy most of the Arnold movies, we are always quoting from them in the accent- good fun

and most things on that list were not experienced by the generation that came before.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Funny about kids not experiencing getting lost. In my younger days, I loved to just drive and get lost on back roads and through small towns. You knew certain routes & rivers and stuff, so you were never really lost, but you got to see a bunch of stuff that you'd never see otherwise.

i still do that...although it sucks that there are no back roads around here.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    That's too bad about the being lost thing. Seems there is no time allowed for just meandering for the sake of it. You can find some amazing stuff just roaming about!
  • PissBottleManPissBottleMan Posts: 4,154

My sister gave her 10 year old son a disposable camera to take on a class trip. He took the pictures, then threw the camera away. He thought they automatically went to their computer. :lol:

That's gold.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    On 4th of July at Lake Welch, NY (my Dad is still the Head Lifeguard there at the age of 63) there were 68 children reported missing and he said there must have been at least 50 that weren't reported.

Also, books will never die and The Terminator is a timeless piece of science fiction.
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    yeah the kids nowadays are never outside, always playing fucking video games or texting/tweeting.

Arnold may be a pig of a person, but his movies are downright guy gold
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,968
    RKCNDY wrote:
    kids will never experience typewriters...went to a street fair-a lady makes jewelry from old typewriter keys, and these 2 little girls 5/6 were fascinated with the typewriter...

and I read an article that said kids today know what the 'SAVE' button is...but they don't know what the picture is of, because they have never seen a disk before

also on some cell phones, there is a picture of a cassette for voicemail...kids don't know what that is either

I still always call the enter button the 'return' button. When I'm giving someone directions on the computer, I'll say "hit return", and they just look at me like 'what the eff's return?"
  • whispering handswhispering hands Posts: 13,527
    RKCNDY wrote:

The kids that come over to my house do.. but that's because I have an OLLLLLLLLLLLLLDDDDDD Corona with the round keys and the ACTUAL "Backspacer" key. It is so old that it requires the "hold film" to delete, and the only other option for this is to either "x" out your mistakes, or start over. I write all my poems and short stories on this old thing, and my Niece is just as in love with it as I am. Only when I first moved out to Colorado, and she got to see it for the first time, she was like, "Wow so this is what Computers used to look like.." Of course her brother, (whose five years her senior) had to correct her saying.. "No, this is called a type writer and they don't even make them anymore because of computers.." And poor Lily was just so saddened to know they were obsolete. She asked for one for her Birthday this year, so I've been looking in old Thrift shops everywhere for one..Her brother thinks she's mad, I think it kicks ass!! Some kids are just born with old souls!!
  • tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    We use our landline heaps more than our mobiles (mainly because of the ridiculous cost of cell calls in NZ). When our daughter was born we only had a film camera so have stacks of photos of her. When our son was born we had a digital and have hardly any physical pics of him, they are all on the computer.
    all you need is love, love is all you need

that was one of the great fun things in our younger days! hop on the hawg and ride..who cares :D
    peace,
    jo

"Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
    RKCNDY wrote:

The kids that come over to my house do.. but that's because I have an OLLLLLLLLLLLLLDDDDDD Corona with the round keys and the ACTUAL "Backspacer" key. It is so old that it requires the "hold film" to delete, and the only other option for this is to either "x" out your mistakes, or start over. I write all my poems and short stories on this old thing, and my Niece is just as in love with it as I am. Only when I first moved out to Colorado, and she got to see it for the first time, she was like, "Wow so this is what Computers used to look like.." Of course her brother, (whose five years her senior) had to correct her saying.. "No, this is called a type writer and they don't even make them anymore because of computers.." And poor Lily was just so saddened to know they were obsolete. She asked for one for her Birthday this year, so I've been looking in old Thrift shops everywhere for one..Her brother thinks she's mad, I think it kicks ass!! Some kids are just born with old souls!!

I bought one of the gal's necklaces...yup it says 'back space' looks just like the PJ 'backspacer' logo :D

I'm looking for an old typewriter just for the reason you still have yours...had one when I was a kid, and you had to either use a real eraser, or 'X' out your mistake.

and I still get lost..I have GPS on my phone, but all the roads here are changing so fast, when I take the road I know is the correct way, the GPS freaks out and keeps telling me 'make a legal u turn when possible' and I just don't trust it...I still use my landmarks and can figure my way around pretty well.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • I don't feel like my kids will miss anything not using film but I do think about switching back just because I never get pictures developed now. If I had to develop them to be able to see what turned out I would be much better about it. I don't have a sinlge snapshot developed of my youngest and she will be 2 next week.
    \
    Emily
    norm wrote:

yes there are but do you think your average 15 year old does? me thinks not ;) :P

i still disagree. ;)
    while the average 15 year old may not, their parents may....thus the "experience" factor still exists.
    i actually see a lot of nostalgia for film in photography emerging. no it will never be what it once was, but there are many - young - people interested in the medium. that said, i have my MA in photography, a darkroom in my basement, and i've not shot film or developed my own negatives/prints since 2003/2004. :P however, i do still have a landline and i buy real books...and many, many people i know have/do the same, and they have children. :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    well what do i know...i'm a misanthrope ;) :P :lol:
    norm wrote:
    well what do i know...i'm a misanthrope ;) :P :lol:

you're sumthin' else, that's for sure...;)
    :mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,577
    That first one made me laugh, the camera film.

the office had a funny take on that:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0TJeocV3S0
    www.myspace.com
  • dr0ptheleashdr0ptheleash Posts: 1,264
    They made tan M&M's??????!
  • iamicaiamica Posts: 2,628
    Tan M&Ms? I won't miss those...long live blue!
    I did feel old not long ago when I was talking to an 11-year old and I mentioned something that happened before cell phones were invented, and she looked at me with these really big eyes and said, "You mean there was a time before cell phones? I thought those have always been around!" :? :lol:
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
    They made tan M&M's??????!

hmmm I don't remember those at all :?
    peace,
    jo

• ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,765
    gas is too expensive now to get lost for too long...
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    How about... the clatter of a screen door _ a real, wooden screen door with a hook-and-eye lock _ slamming shut on a summer day as you step out onto your porch?

Curse these well-fitting, lightweight, perfectly sealed and nearly silent modern screen doors.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
    How about... the clatter of a screen door _ a real, wooden screen door with a hook-and-eye lock _ slamming shut on a summer day as you step out onto your porch?

Curse these well-fitting, lightweight, perfectly sealed and nearly silent modern screen doors...because I still walk into them on occasion...

fixed!

- Christopher McCandless
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    tinkerbell wrote:
    We use our landline heaps more than our mobiles (mainly because of the ridiculous cost of cell calls in NZ). When our daughter was born we only had a film camera so have stacks of photos of her. When our son was born we had a digital and have hardly any physical pics of him, they are all on the computer.

This is so true- I have albums and albums of my daughter - but my son's photo's are all digital and since I'm not computer smart - they seem forever stuck on the computer ... :)

my kids are (4) yrs apart and what a big difference in technology in just 4 yrs.
    ********************************************************************************************* image