i think i should rename my dog

decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
edited July 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
KILLER.
:shock:

about 2 weeks ago, my beautiful chloe, right in front of me and a friend, killed a squirrel.
yesterday while my mom was visiting, she captured and killed a mouse.
today, she was going nuts in the yard and i knew there was another animal lurking....she lept over a 2 foot fence i have around some plantings into part of the garden she knows she's not allowed (and has never done that before) then lept back out with a baby raccoon in her mouth that she proceeded to quickly and violently shake until she broke the poor things neck.

:? :( :cry:
ack!

she then proudly laid down next to her kill, as she did yesterday and a few weeks earlier. she is not a young dog either, 11, but she apparently still got it going on. and yes, i am way too much of a pussy to pick up the dead carcass......thank bejeebus mr. dream gets home in less than 2 hours.

i present to you the face of a killer:
chloemay-1.jpg
Stay with me...
Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• You may need some tips from Norm on how to rid Chloe Killer of the skunk smell in the future... :?
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    You may need some tips from Norm on how to rid Chloe Killer of the skunk smell in the future... :?

luckily, in the 15 years we've owned our house, never seen a skunk.
    honestly, it just amazes me, apparently our suburban backyard has turned into animal kingdom, and apparently our pointer mix turned into a killer! i mean, she is supposed to be a pointer, not killer! :D
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    What a vicious looking beast! ;)

Many years ago we had a dog named Sadie that was quite the mighty huntress. She chased anything that moved and killed a few mice over the years. She also used to chase the lizards in our yard which we thought was pretty funny since they were WAY faster than she was. But one day she cornered a big one by the porch and killed it. She came trotting up the steps with the lizard hanging out of her mouth and all we could say was AAGH! :wtf: :sick:

So years later, with a change of residence and doggie line-up, we've been living at our present residence 3-4 years. There are many feral cats in the neighborhood and we often see them in the yard of the vacant house behind us. I go outside one morning to find Pete and Buffy strangely interested in one part of the yard. When I go to check, there are 2 dead kittens. They aren't newborns but are still fairly small. Doesn't look like the dogs killed them but there they are. Since handling dead animals is my prince's responsibility, I wasn't going to do anything until he got home. But then I look up to see the dogs dragging the kittens. This is too much and I am forced to dispose of them myself. :sick:

I told my vet about it not long after that and he pointed out that even though dogs have been domesticated a long time, they are descended from wild animals and they still have strong hunting instincts.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
    honestly, it just amazes me, apparently our suburban backyard has turned into animal kingdom, and apparently our pointer mix turned into a killer! i mean, she is supposed to be a pointer, not killer! :D
    Well, my dogs are supposed to herd, not hunt! They do tend more toward herding though.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    You may need some tips from Norm on how to rid Chloe Killer of the skunk smell in the future... :?
    my tip is you can't...well not completely :(

and norm is a retriever...well, part retriever...it's the other parts (probably terrier) where the hunting trait comes out...and he's a shitty hunter...yeah he caught the skunk but skunks aren't speedy animals...hence the spray :x
  • Cree NationsCree Nations Posts: 2,247
    what a killer, maybe shes just making sure she still gots it in her old age :lol:
    >>>>
    >
    ...a lover and a fighter.
    "I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
    Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
    Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,969
    norm wrote:
    my tip is you can't...well not completely :(

and norm is a retriever...well, part retriever...it's the other parts (probably terrier) where the hunting trait comes out...and he's a shitty hunter...yeah he caught the skunk but skunks aren't speedy animals...hence the spray :x
    but he retrieved that spray quite nicely didnt he? :mrgreen:
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    Could I please borrow her for a few days? We have a rat and mouse problem...
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    sounds like the cat we had growing up, always killing things :?
    she even put a dead bird on my sisters pillow once :shock:
    conman wrote:

awwww....in cat speak, that's saying i love you. :P
    and i know the killer instinct has never been bred out of dogs or cats, but yea...chloe has never killed anything in her 11 years until now....and 3 in under 2 months! :o
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

tinkerbell wrote:
    Could I please borrow her for a few days? We have a rat and mouse problem...
    cats are better for that, my parents got a cat when i was a kid because we mice in the house..... never had mice after that. the cat killed them all.
  • Green CircleGreen Circle Posts: 5,192
    conman wrote:

and i know the killer instinct has never been bred out of dogs or cats, but yea...chloe has never killed anything in her 11 years until now....and 3 in under 2 months! :o

Maybe she is doing it to seek praise? Considering after she kills it she lies next to it as a presentation?

I have no idea, shot in the dark..i guess
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    conman wrote:

Maybe she is doing it to seek praise? Considering after she kills it she lies next to it as a presentation?

I have no idea, shot in the dark..i guess

Maybe she is rabid.
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    Many murderers are not what you picture them to be.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Many murderers are not what you picture them to be.
    Exhibit "A"
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ3jUogfkoSM0n40WCPEi7rFA9BI_ybQTF7dOphw7j3xN6NBVO1
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    Many murderers are not what you picture them to be.
    Exhibit "A"
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ3jUogfkoSM0n40WCPEi7rFA9BI_ybQTF7dOphw7j3xN6NBVO1

damnit... beat me to it.

I was going to say "Rename her Casey".
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
    Exhibit B:

Bush.jpeg
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Exhibit B:

Bush.jpeg

I almost just punched my computer screen.

• CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    You may want to consider curbing your dog's behavior. I'm sure there are articles on how to do this. Poor animals she's killing. Soon it will be a neighbor's cat who is accidentally walked in your yard.

As an animal lover (and a vegetarian) I'm pretty concerned with all animals, but if my dog started doing this I'd consider getting a paintball gun or something else that you can quickly from afar shock the dog with to stop it from killing. If every time he goes after an animal he gets a hard snap on his butt, I think he'll not want to do it any more... but that's just me. ...and I'm sure a number of you will disagree.

But either way, I wouldn't let my animal kill other animals.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • CJMST3K wrote:
    You may want to consider curbing your dog's behavior. I'm sure there are articles on how to do this. Poor animals she's killing. Soon it will be a neighbor's cat who is accidentally walked in your yard.

As an animal lover (and a vegetarian) I'm pretty concerned with all animals, but if my dog started doing this I'd consider getting a paintball gun or something else that you can quickly from afar shock the dog with to stop it from killing. If every time he goes after an animal he gets a hard snap on his butt, I think he'll not want to do it any more... but that's just me. ...and I'm sure a number of you will disagree.

But either way, I wouldn't let my animal kill other animals.

Thats a really good point u make there
    And it kinda relates to my thoughts in that animals dogs can't differentiate between these animals. You cant teach them the difference between a squirrel and a skunk, a rabbit and a cat. So while it may not be a huge deal to some if your cat or dog kills small rodents, it is to me and may be to others, different if your pet killed a cat or a neighbors pet rabbit, or whatever. And i know the OP was concerned w/ the kittens...whether or not they died at the paws of chole killer, we dont know now, but you would have to assume that they did. Even if you just shot off a bb gun into the air or tossed a can filled with change onto the ground, to scare the dog from going after that animal...just something to try and curb the behavior...because you certainly dont want to be responsible for the neighbor's pet turning up dead in your back yard.

edited July 2011
    you are confusing my post with whoprincess....never had any kittens in our yard.
    and believe me, i AM concerned about my dog killing other animals, absolutely. i feel terrible for the animals, and even for my own dog, i worry about disease. that said, our backyard is fully fenced in with a 6 foot wood fence. any animal that gets in has to climb/fly/burrow into our yard. also, we had a cat for 20 years, so chloe does know the difference there. suburban wildlife is all that need worry, and trust me, i DO try to stop her...but no, i am not shooting her with a paintgun. besides, i am usually lounging around when it occurs, so i'd have to always have this 'weapon' within close range....so yea, no thanks. usually chloe is VERY compliant, and she does drop the animal and stay away once i tell her to.....but the finding/killing happens sooooo fast. i am just amazed she jumped into an area she's not allowed...but i think the little raccoon was just too big a temptation b/c there have been numerous squirrels over the years that ran thru there and she'd stalk and point, but never jump in. and no, she's not rabid...her shots are all up to date. it's just natural instinct.
    Post edited by decides2dream on
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

if you want to get rid of her, i'm sure Michael Vick would take her :wink:
    Rename your dog Santa's Little Murderer
    you are confusing my post with whoprincess....never had any kittens in our yard.
    and believe me, i AM concerned about my dog killing other animals, absolutely. i feel terrible for the animals, and even for my own dog, i worry about disease. that said, our backyard is fully fenced in with a 6 foot wood fence. any animal that gets in has to climb/fly/burrow into our yard. also, we had a cat for 20 years, so chloe does know the difference there. suburban wildlife is all that need worry, and trust me, i DO try to stop her...but no, i am not shooting her with a paintgun. besides, i am usually lounging around when it occurs, so i'd have to always have this 'weapon' within close range....so yea, no thanks. usually chloe is VERY compliant, and she does drop the animal and stay away once i tell her to.....but the finding/killing happens sooooo fast. i am just amazed she jumped into an area she's not allowed...but i think the little raccoon was just too big a temptation b/c there have been numerous squirrels over the years that ran thru there and she'd stalk and point, but never jump in. and no, she's not rabid...her shots are all up to date. it's just natural instinct.
    Yes, I wondered quite a bit if my dogs had killed the kittens I found but it didn't seem likely, as far as I could tell. When I let the dogs out that morning and found the kittens, they were already cold and stiff. There were no signs of trauma. The kittens were too large to be newborns but still had their eyes closed. There was no sure way to tell how they'd died or ended up in my yard. My dogs acted extremely interested in them, so that I suspected that they'd just discovered the kittens. I might have read it wrong but I didn't think dogs would show that much interest in something they might have killed the night before.

At the time we had many feral cats in the neighborhood due to so many people feeding them and the cats were always breeding. We sometimes saw mama cats carrying their kittens from place to place. I don't know why these 2 were in my yard. Neither of these dogs ever killed anything else that I'm aware of, so it seemed strange to think they'd killed the kittens. It bothered me a lot at the time to think my dogs might have done it and trying to figure out what happened. But it was quite a few years ago and there's no way of knowing.
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    I think the dogs name should be changed to "Kowalski".
  • shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    KILLER.
    :shock:

i present to you the face of a killer:
    chloemay-1.jpg

well, she is a hunting dog....right? maybe she's bored and needs more activity.
    i wonder if putting a bell on her collar (when she's outside) would scare away any critters.
    did you see me? i saw you.
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    I think the dogs name should be changed to "Kowalski".

Not many of *us* are old enough to remember him... you tipped your hand, my dear fellow.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
    *sigh*

i really was just sharing an anecdotal story, and sure, a wee bit amazed/saddened by it all...didn't think i had to go into such exacting details, but really, i should know better here. :P

so hereya go:
    no, the dog is not bored. i did mention..she's eleven. i think if she were bored with her lifestyle, it would've been exhibited far earlier. also, if anything, she is enjoying life even more nowdays b/c i am home with them all the time, a lot more active, outdoors, etc. secondly, chloe IS a good, compliant dog. she wants to please you, but yes, she is a dog.

the more my husband and i discussed it, the more we're convinced the raccoon was injured. firstly, raccoons are nocturnal animals, and this occurred smack dab in the middle of the day. also, i believe i mentioned, we have 2 foot fencing surrounding probably 85% of our garden beds, mostly to keep the dogs out, to stop them from trampling my plants, and also to keep them a distance from the 6 foot wood fence that surrounds the perimeter of our yard b/c one of our neighbors have 2 pit bulls, and yea, we don't look for trouble. yes, i knew chloe could more than likely jump the fencing, but as i said, she is a good dog and understands the space is off limits, she has never jumped it before, ever. and there have been plenty of other temptations - squirrels running about, etc.

here's the thing - the raccoon was out in the daytime, it was in the garden bed running around. chloe ran around the perimeter of the fence a good 5-10 minutes. the raccoon had ample time to escape - run up any number of trees, up the outer fence, however it got there in the first place. it didn't. looking back, its more my fault than chloe's as is usually the case with pets. i should've brought her in. i just thought whatever was in the garden bed would move on. so yea, i think the animal was injured. so even if i brought chloe in, the thing more than likely would've died out there in any case....or maybe somehow got out, idk. thing is tho, eventually something would need to be done.

as to the squirrel, well that was just dumb luck. the squirrel ran under our outdoor dining table, then the dogs spotted it, and instead of running to the outer fence, it ran into the center of the lawn. i am sorry but ANY dog would case something running, it's like a game to them, and yes...pure instinct. as to the mouse...poor little guy happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time - a small area of the garden the dogs have access to. again, it is merely instinctual. i doubt any other dog would behave otherwise, and to suggest i shoot my dog with a paintball gun or anything else, basically to punish it for it's natural instincts, well, i just disagree with that.

when i was a child we had a cat that used to hunt birds and mice, and then bring them home...as a prize, and yes...as a sign of affection. dogs like to chase and hunt and catch, you cant change that. we've done much to protect the wildlife around but we can't do everything. and yes of course i yelled at chloe when she went after all 3 animals, but again, you can't punish an animal for doing what comes naturally. thereya go.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    This morning Tessie shook the hell out of her stuffed squirrel.

My eclectic pack collectively are very poor hunters.

Evidence #1: One night the three of them ran out the basement door, directly past a table that held a bin of fish food. A full-grown adult possum was on the table, trying to get at the fish food. It played dead (as possums are wont to do) and they never even noticed it. They went out, did their business, trotted by the possum again, and all ran back upstairs to the kitchen to stand by the treat jar for their goodnight Milk Bone.

Evidence #2-783: Every single day, squirrels run along the top of the six-foot-high wooden fence at the back of our yard. Every day Sweet Pea, the Treeing Walker Coonhound, runs to the edge of the second-floor deck, stands up on her hind legs to survey the yard, spies the squirrels, lets out a mighty howl (thereby alerting squirrels in a quarter-mile radius), and runs down the stairs. By the time she reaches the fence, the squirrels are in the yard next door, openly mocking her.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    *sigh*

i really was just sharing an anecdotal story, and sure, a wee bit amazed/saddened by it all...didn't think i had to go into such exacting details, but really, i should know better here. :P

so hereya go:
    no, the dog is not bored. i did mention..she's eleven. i think if she were bored with her lifestyle, it would've been exhibited far earlier. also, if anything, she is enjoying life even more nowdays b/c i am home with them all the time, a lot more active, outdoors, etc. secondly, chloe IS a good, compliant dog. she wants to please you, but yes, she is a dog.

the more my husband and i discussed it, the more we're convinced the raccoon was injured. firstly, raccoons are nocturnal animals, and this occurred smack dab in the middle of the day. also, i believe i mentioned, we have 2 foot fencing surrounding probably 85% of our garden beds, mostly to keep the dogs out, to stop them from trampling my plants, and also to keep them a distance from the 6 foot wood fence that surrounds the perimeter of our yard b/c one of our neighbors have 2 pit bulls, and yea, we don't look for trouble. yes, i knew chloe could more than likely jump the fencing, but as i said, she is a good dog and understands the space is off limits, she has never jumped it before, ever. and there have been plenty of other temptations - squirrels running about, etc.

here's the thing - the raccoon was out in the daytime, it was in the garden bed running around. chloe ran around the perimeter of the fence a good 5-10 minutes. the raccoon had ample time to escape - run up any number of trees, up the outer fence, however it got there in the first place. it didn't. looking back, its more my fault than chloe's as is usually the case with pets. i should've brought her in. i just thought whatever was in the garden bed would move on. so yea, i think the animal was injured. so even if i brought chloe in, the thing more than likely would've died out there in any case....or maybe somehow got out, idk. thing is tho, eventually something would need to be done.

as to the squirrel, well that was just dumb luck. the squirrel ran under our outdoor dining table, then the dogs spotted it, and instead of running to the outer fence, it ran into the center of the lawn. i am sorry but ANY dog would case something running, it's like a game to them, and yes...pure instinct. as to the mouse...poor little guy happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time - a small area of the garden the dogs have access to. again, it is merely instinctual. i doubt any other dog would behave otherwise, and to suggest i shoot my dog with a paintball gun or anything else, basically to punish it for it's natural instincts, well, i just disagree with that.

when i was a child we had a cat that used to hunt birds and mice, and then bring them home...as a prize, and yes...as a sign of affection. dogs like to chase and hunt and catch, you cant change that. we've done much to protect the wildlife around but we can't do everything. and yes of course i yelled at chloe when she went after all 3 animals, but again, you can't punish an animal for doing what comes naturally. thereya go.

that there is a lot of words missy.