America: Land Of The Fat

2»

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    RW81233 wrote:
    The 81 wrote:
    RW81233 wrote:
    the real question is would you rather be large and in charge in America, or "normal" or "low" BMI in Somalia?

i find your descriptions to be degrading. please edit your post. thanks in advanace
    I'm not sure what you're finding degrading here? i was using another poster's words in terms of "large and in charge" if you didn't like that wording. Either way the point of my post was that many people attribute ill-health to high body fat here in the US. we do this despite the fact that there is very little evidence that having a high (obese) BMI leads to poor health outcomes (it can lead to joint pain later in life but that's about it...that fat=diabetes, cancer, premature death, etc. is pretty much bullshit). Simultaneously, in poor countries, like Somalia, or even poor parts of the US people don't have access to very much food if at all. As such they land on the "low" or "normal" BMI scale (being low BMI actually correlates to a higher death rate than being morbidly obese), which, it seems even on this board, most people find desirable even if it means that the individual is literally starving.

maybe i should have ended my post with :P
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    man...i was feeding my baby and you gotta get all sarcastic with me. damn it.
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    fat-american.jpg
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    RW81233 wrote:
    man...i was breast feeding my baby and you gotta get all sarcastic with me. damn it.

:shock:

:lol:
    :wave:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Why I oughtta!
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    "fat=diabetes" Pretty sure that one has some merit...
    i thought so too, but the research says that it's spurious at best...crazy what a multi-media machine, a bunch of well paid of researchers who get tenure primarily through private grant funding, and the food, diet, and pharma industries can do to public perception
    RW81233 wrote:
    i thought so too, but the research says that it's spurious at best...crazy what a multi-media machine, a bunch of well paid of researchers who get tenure primarily through private grant funding, and the food, diet, and pharma industries can do to public perception

What research are you quoting? I have a degree in nutrition and have counceled many overweight patients with diabetes who were able to stop thier medication after losing anywhere from 30-80 pounds.
    check michael gard, paul campos, eric oliver, deb burgard and others. my guess is that your people got off the meds because they were eating more nutritious food not because they were less fat. that's why shows like the biggest loser are so stupid, it's not the weight that makes you healthier.
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,968
    RW81233 wrote:

What research are you quoting? I have a degree in nutrition and have counceled many overweight patients with diabetes who were able to stop thier medication after losing anywhere from 30-80 pounds.

Like that avatar. Great beer!
    RW81233 wrote:
    check michael gard, paul campos, eric oliver, deb burgard and others. my guess is that your people got off the meds because they were eating more nutritious food not because they were less fat. that's why shows like the biggest loser are so stupid, it's not the weight that makes you healthier.

Paul Campos the law professor? I will check this suff out...but I'm not convinced that if you can get a 400lb man to only eat 1 bucket of fried chicken per day instead of 3, and he loses 200lbs that he won't be healthier.
    Go Beavers wrote:
    Like that avatar. Great beer!

Thanks! Still trying to find it in my local liquor stores...
    RW81233 wrote:

Paul Campos the law professor? I will check this suff out...but I'm not convinced that if you can get a 400lb man to only eat 1 bucket of fried chicken per day instead of 3, and he loses 200lbs that he won't be healthier.
    i agree that the one bucket instead of 3 is going to be healthier for you, but just losing weight doesn't do it. plus you are citing the outliers...as fat as we think america is not very many people weight 300-400 lbs, most diets end up being detrimental to people's health.

and yes paul campos the law professor...he was doing the same as me researching obesity to help "the problem" and found that the research itself contradicted the conclusions the researchers made. the conclusions like "300k people die from obesity a year" get published in papers because it gets read at a higher rate than most people are going to get diabetes in their lifetimes whether they eat well or not.
    RW81233 wrote:
    and yes paul campos the law professor...he was doing the same as me researching obesity to help "the problem" and found that the research itself contradicted the conclusions the researchers made. the conclusions like "300k people die from obesity a year" get published in papers because it gets read at a higher rate than most people are going to get diabetes in their lifetimes whether they eat well or not.

But to the argument you appear to be making...it shouldn't matter if the person is 200, 400, 800lbs - if they eat the same foods they should all be in the same "health".
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,968
    RW81233 wrote:

But to the argument you appear to be making...it shouldn't matter if the person is 200, 400, 800lbs - if they eat the same foods they should all be in the same "health".

I think there's too much focus on numbers, when the only number that matters is body fat %. The BMI says I'm overweight but my body fat is probably around 8%. I see teenage girls focusing on the # of pounds too much. They pick an "ideal" weight and don't take into effect muscle mass or height. The 5'10" girl wants to be the same weight as the 5'4" girl.
    RW81233 wrote:

my belief is that eating nutritious food will help your health no matter what you weigh. weight is ancillary to a healthy lifestyle. being "fat" or "thin" doesn't equal good health, it's a secondary component. what "scientists" have done is lower the BMI score so more people are considered overweight helping convince most of us that weight is the thing we need to focus on, rather than eating nutritious food (think about the fact that everyone smoke in the 60s which generally keeps off 10 pounds, but is not good for you). even the notion that a certain amount of exercise has not been inconclusive.

the fear of fat in america has turned into a secondary form of class hatreds since rich people can afford PTs, time to work out, better health care, etc, while the poor feast on 4th meals that aren't good for you. obviously these are broad stroke generalizations, but that's what sociologists and marketers work in.