New York Rangers sign Brad Richards to 9 year deal.

2»

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    The 81 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    speculation is that the cap is actually supposed to decrease next year.

while it could happen, that would suprise me. NHL seems to be on an upswing lately. And assuming no NBA this season, seems like the demand for hockey tickets (consessions, jersesy's etc) could go up as people search for something to do during the winter months.

I think that's why it went up so much this year... the potential of no NBA, the new US TV deal, and adding Winnipeg (while subtracting Atlanta), mean much more revenue for the league.

But for the next season, unless something happens like Phoenix moving, I don't see another big jump. I do think that some teams (and all players) will do whatever they can to prevent a decrease, I don't think it will increase again much next season.

it's based on prior years revenue, although i could see them making an adjustment for the TV contract. i wouldn't be suprised if it jumped again next year, and then came down a bit the following year as people migrate back to the NBA.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    The 81 wrote:
    The 81 wrote:

while it could happen, that would suprise me. NHL seems to be on an upswing lately. And assuming no NBA this season, seems like the demand for hockey tickets (consessions, jersesy's etc) could go up as people search for something to do during the winter months.

I think that's why it went up so much this year... the potential of no NBA, the new US TV deal, and adding Winnipeg (while subtracting Atlanta), mean much more revenue for the league.

But for the next season, unless something happens like Phoenix moving, I don't see another big jump. I do think that some teams (and all players) will do whatever they can to prevent a decrease, I don't think it will increase again much next season.

it's based on prior years revenue, although i could see them making an adjustment for the TV contract. i wouldn't be suprised if it jumped again next year, and then came down a bit the following year as people migrate back to the NBA.

I assumed it was based on projected revenues... if it is based on prior, than yeah, it could jump next season. I do think the Winnipeg for Atlanta swap will be huge numbers as far as ticket sales, merch, and another TV market.

But then, you have the elephant in the room of the CBA expiring after this season. Hopefully there isn't a mess, but with Donald Fehr in the picture, who really knows...
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln