New York Rangers sign Brad Richards to 9 year deal.

Jeremys SpokenJeremys Spoken Posts: 7,578
edited July 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Oh, I enjoyed waking up to this news:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=5682 ... L|NHL|home

Contract is obviously front loaded, what an addition!
2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
2010 - Newark 5/18 MSG 5/21
2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
2012 - MIA Festival 9/2
2013 - Wrigley Field 7/19 Brooklyn 10/18-10/19 Philly 10/22
2015 - Colbert show - 9/23 Global Citizens Festival 9/26
2016 - Philly 4/28-4/29 MSG 5/1-5/2

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,796
    The Rangers sign all the big FA's

Yet light on cups????
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Nothing like overpaying for a dude with concussion problems. He's also never scored 30 goals in a season.

As a flyers fan I love this signing :thumbup:
  • Jeremys SpokenJeremys Spoken Posts: 7,578
    The Fixer wrote:
    Nothing like overpaying for a dude with concussion problems. He's also never scored 30 goals in a season.

Overpaying?

It's 6.5 per.

Front loaded, and a small cap hit. It's a very smart signing.
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2

The Fixer wrote:

Overpaying?

It's 6.5 per.

Front loaded, and a small cap hit. It's a very smart signing.

9 years for a dude with concussion issues is overpaying IMO.

We'll see how it works out. The flyers were in the running for richards as well...I didn't want any part of him
    Stanley Cup champion and Conn Smythe winner with 716 points in 772 career games.

we just got MUCH better.

It's all front loaded money. What do you not understand?
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Isnt the cap hit equal over the life of the deal?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    The 81 wrote:
    Im not too sure...

but I can't believe we got this type of deal, good job Sather!
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2

• neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    Stanley Cup champion and Conn Smythe winner with 716 points in 772 career games.

we just got MUCH better.

you can't argue with the fixer..he is the authority on all sports related stuff

meanwhile his squad just signed a goalie(that has never won anything) for 15 years :lol:

yes richards is a risk..but the fact is he can put up points and quarterback our horrible power play
    so we had no choice but to roll the dice
    not to mention he will be playing with an elite player who didn't produce last year becasue he was on a line with me and you
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • small town becksmall town beck Posts: 6,691
    Richards if from back home. My friend used to be his personal chef whenever he was on the island.

It is the only hockey talk I engage in outside of the Oilers :lol:

we just got MUCH better.

you can't argue with the fixer..he is the authority on all sports related stuff

meanwhile his squad just signed a goalie(that has never won anything) for 15 years :lol:

yes richards is a risk..but the fact is he can put up points and quarterback our horrible power play
    so we had no choice but to roll the dice
    not to mention he will be playing with an elite player who didn't produce last year becasue he was on a line with me and you

I'm not a fan of the Bryzgalov contract either. Goalies typically age better than position players though (especially position players with concussion histories). Also, last time I checked lunqvist hasn't won anything either.

Love that someone said he's a stanley cup winner. Like that means every guy that wins a cup is good.

Do whatever you guys gotta do to sleep at night. I'll be waiting to say I told you so
    Fixer he won the conn symthe also..means his showed up in the big games...so yes he is pressure tested
    Fixer he won the conn symthe also..means his showed up in the big games...so yes he is pressure tested

Yep, I know. Flyers were the team TB beat in the ECF that year. I'm not saying the guy isn't a decent player. I just don't think he's a guy I would have overpaid for.

We will see what happens. 9 years is long time for a 30 year old with concussion problems that's never scored 30 goals in a season in IMO. If my squad signed him to the same deal I would not be happy.
    The Fixer wrote:

Yep, I know. Flyers were the team TB beat in the ECF that year. I'm not saying the guy isn't a decent player. I just don't think he's a guy I would have overpaid for.

We will see what happens. 9 years is long time for a 30 year old with concussion problems that's never scored 30 goals in a season in IMO. If my squad signed him to the same deal I would not be happy.

Yes but you know it's really. A 5 or 6 year contract in reality..just as your goalie deal is

We don't need him to score 40...we need him to set up gabby for 40 or 50 and quarterback the pp
    He is a playmaking center ,not a sniper

Of course the injuries are a concern..but we needed someone for gabby so we had no choice but to roll the dice
    Fact is the rangers are a way better offensive team today then they were Friday..
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    All those free agents were overpaid...imo. Richards motivation to go the Rangers was a Cup? really!!!! If that was his primary motive then he should have considered Tampa or approached Boston or Vancouver with 1 or 2 year deals in the 4-5 million range. In the Rangers he found someone willing to give a guy with concussion history a 9 year contract.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    lukin2006 wrote:
    All those free agents were overpaid...imo. Richards motivation to go the Rangers was a Cup? really!!!! If that was his primary motive then he should have considered Tampa or approached Boston or Vancouver with 1 or 2 year deals in the 4-5 million range. In the Rangers he found someone willing to give a guy with concussion history a 9 year contract.

ut oh
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
    lukin2006 wrote:

Ummm he passed on 3 teams with higher offers...

He wanted to play in new York with an up and coming team
    lukin2006 wrote:

He passed up on Toronto...Toronto doesn't give out 9 year contracts...it was never released what the other teams were offering in terms of length...was it? he's a guy with concussion history who found a team willing to give him a 9 year deal...imo.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

lukin2006 wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

He passed up on Toronto...Toronto doesn't give out 9 year contracts...it was never released what the other teams were offering in terms of length...was it? he's a guy with concussion history who found a team willing to give him a 9 year deal...imo.

Calgary offered 9 years 63 million..and the leafs and the kings offered more also
    lukin2006 wrote:

Calgary offered 9 years 63 million..and the leafs and the kings offered more also

I can't see the leafs offering a 9 year deal...Burke is supposedly against long deals...if those were the only teams that were serious he probably went to the right team...but in my opinion if cup was primary motive, then 1 year deal with Boston or Vancouver would have made sense, but I'm not the one with concussion history...so 9 year deal makes sense. I still say all those free agents are overpaid.

• RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    The 81 wrote:
    Im not too sure...

but I can't believe we got this type of deal, good job Sather!
    Cap hit should be equal for the life of the deal.

I think 9 years was too long, and he was overpaid, but whatever, that's the nutty nature of free agency.

How many concussions has he had? I didn't think very many...
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    these are the kind of deals that pay dividends if you contend for the first few years ... the cap hit is averaged out over the length of the deal ... unless the cap skyrockets - it will for sure be a burden down the road ... rangers just hope it isn't in year 2 or 3 ... i'm glad the leafs didn't get him ... with concussions the way they are ... who knows how long he can play? ... and for sure the leafs would not have offered richards this deal ... no way ...
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    It's basically a six year deal... the last three years are at $1 million each, and he'll be 38, 39 & 40 years old.

The cap hit sounds great now, and if he retires after 6 years, it's not a bad thing. But if he's playing at 39-40 with a cap hit of $6.67 million, that's gonna suck...
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    It's basically a six year deal... the last three years are at $1 million each, and he'll be 38, 39 & 40 years old.

The cap hit sounds great now, and if he retires after 6 years, it's not a bad thing. But if he's playing at 39-40 with a cap hit of $6.67 million, that's gonna suck...

doesn't the cap hit stay the same even if he retires!? ... i thought they would need to buy him out and at that point a percentage would be applied ...
    polaris_x wrote:

doesn't the cap hit stay the same even if he retires!? ... i thought they would need to buy him out and at that point a percentage would be applied ...

No... with guys who sign prior to turning 35, if they retire, they are off the books.

That was a lot of the criticism with the Flyers/Chris Pronger extension (and another example of Paul Holmgren being clueless). Pronger signed a deal that would start when he was 35, so even if he retires before the end of the deal (he'll be 41 I think at the end), the cap hit is still there through all 7 years (unless he's bought out).
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    this deal could finally show sather the door if the rangers miss the playoffs next year.

OR could make him look like a fucking genius.

i just ask that they give the C to cally, not richards.
    polaris_x wrote:
    these are the kind of deals that pay dividends if you contend for the first few years ... the cap hit is averaged out over the length of the deal ... unless the cap skyrockets - it will for sure be a burden down the road ... rangers just hope it isn't in year 2 or 3 ... i'm glad the leafs didn't get him ... with concussions the way they are ... who knows how long he can play? ... and for sure the leafs would not have offered richards this deal ... no way ...

speculation is that the cap is actually supposed to decrease next year.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    The Fixer wrote:

while it could happen, that would suprise me. NHL seems to be on an upswing lately. And assuming no NBA this season, seems like the demand for hockey tickets (consessions, jersesy's etc) could go up as people search for something to do during the winter months.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    The 81 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

while it could happen, that would suprise me. NHL seems to be on an upswing lately. And assuming no NBA this season, seems like the demand for hockey tickets (consessions, jersesy's etc) could go up as people search for something to do during the winter months.

just telling you what I read. this was one of the reasons the flyers decided against offering stamkos a major deal

the richards contract is no bueno
    The 81 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

I think that's why it went up so much this year... the potential of no NBA, the new US TV deal, and adding Winnipeg (while subtracting Atlanta), mean much more revenue for the league.

But for the next season, unless something happens like Phoenix moving, I don't see another big jump. I do think that some teams (and all players) will do whatever they can to prevent a decrease, I don't think it will increase again much next season.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    ― Abraham Lincoln