Options

*** EV Tour - St. Louis Fanviews Here 07/01/11 ***

Comments

• Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    Wow that's a nice looking set list right there! Bet it was over the top. Longest show yet?
  • Options
    AstarteAstarte Posts: 5
    Amazing show! This was the first time I've seen Eddie solo, and I was floored! 'Thumbing my Way' and 'So you want to be a rock n roll star' absolutely made my night. I <3 Eddie :) If it is possible, I think I'm even more excited for Alpine Valley now, come on September!
    Someone handed me a picture and said, "This is a picture of me when I was younger." Every picture of you is when you were younger. "...Here's a picture of me when I'm older." Where'd you get that camera man?
    ~ Mitch Hedberg 1968-2005
  • Options
    BlangstonBlangston Posts: 1
    Someone asked about time. He came on at 845ish and wen't till 1105ish if I remember correctly. First time I had heard Arc. That was wild. Trouble was a treat. The storytelling was non-stop. The whole show was amazing.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,908
    aaaah drifting, one song i've never heard live. congrats st. louis, awesome set list. how were the hecklers?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    :D:D:D:D:D

My favorite story of the night was Eddie talking about a pregnancy. How you wait and wait and are so excited for the moment to finally arrive. He said when his daughter was born he was "higher than he has ever been, and that's saying a lot because he's hung out with Keith Richards." Then he added that when he first got to see the baby he was, "what the fuck is this? It looked like the most beautiful Filipino baby he had ever seen. And we're not Filipino, not even way back."

Both Eddie and Glenn shared awesome stories at the show. I love when there is that much talking during the show. It makes it such a unique experience.

I gotta say Ed and Glenn need to do an album together, "Falling Slowly"---AMAZING!!
  • Options
    dasvidanadasvidana Grand Junction CO Posts: 1,318
    about the hecklers, there really weren't any from where I was sitting. One guy yelled out "we love you Glen" and another yelled, "we love you too Eddie". Then Eddie said we were in a really loving mood and that he and Glen shouldn't take advantage of us. Then after a pause, he said "well maybe we will take advantage of you..... well just that guy".

Other than that I didn't hear any disrespectful hecklers at all. Just a lot of "Eddieeeee" and "We love You"
    It's nice to be nice to the nice.
  • Options
    NoWayNoWay St. Louis Posts: 347
    Yeah Chicago night 2 in 08 was allright, the first night in Chicago that year was absolutely one show that is tough to top.
    Exhausted people. That blew away 08' CHI 2 by a light year. Comedy, dedications, 34 songs?! Nighty night....

I was at that 1st night in Chicago 08 in the 2nd row. It was really special and will always be a favorite of mine. The STL show is in that class, though, thanks to both Ed and Glen. They brought it to STL in a big way. Falling Slowly was just incredible, along with Sleepless Nights. I can't wait to see more of Glen at PJ20. Such a treat. And the Havana Moon lead in to You're True was a classy nod to St. Louis' own Chuck Berry who's still playing in his 80s and is a (the?) founding father of Rock n Roll. Made me listen to the whole song this morning. Ed's little Improve to the ASL translator was pretty damn funny too. Can't wait to hear it on a boot, if such a thing existed. ;)

As usual, I met a lot of great PJ fans outside the venue before the show. That's another highlight for me, and this was the most respectful yet loud EV crowd I've seen - - the way it should always be. Hope to see you all again soon.

And special thanks to my wife who's a true PJ fan herself and allowed me to relay the setlist, which was a lot of fun. Have fun Minneapolis!
    St. Louis - 7/27/92, 4/22/03, 10/5/04, 5/4/10, 7/1/11 (EV), 10/3/14
    Chicago - 5/17/06, 8/21/08 (EV), 8/23/09, 7/19/13, 8/20/16
    Champaign - 4/23/03
    East Troy - 9/3/11, 9/4/11
    Kansas City - 5/3/10
    Las Vegas - 6/6/03
    Memphis - 6/20/09 (EV)
    Moline - 10/17/14
    Oklahoma City - 11/16/13
  • Options
    JasonEJasonE Posts: 531
    Unreal setlist. Man I wish I could have been there. How was So You Want To Be A Rock 'N' Roll Star? I've always wanted to hear Ed sing it live.
    "If you're not confused, you're not paying attention."

"Rise above principal and do what's right."
  • Options
    JasonE wrote:
    Unreal setlist. Man I wish I could have been there. How was So You Want To Be A Rock 'N' Roll Star? I've always wanted to hear Ed sing it live.

Awesome. A real surprise to hear at a solo show and he killed it.
    Champaign - 4/23/03
    Kansas City - 5/3/10
    Las Vegas - 6/6/03
    Memphis - 6/20/09 (EV)
    Moline - 10/17/14
    Oklahoma City - 11/16/13
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    :D:D:D:D:D

My favorite story of the night was Eddie talking about a pregnancy. How you wait and wait and are so excited for the moment to finally arrive. He said when his daughter was born he was "higher than he has ever been, and that's saying a lot because he's hung out with Keith Richards." Then he added that when he first got to see the baby he was, "what the fuck is this? It looked like the most beautiful Filipino baby he had ever seen. And we're not Filipino, not even way back."

Both Eddie and Glenn shared awesome stories at the show. I love when there is that much talking during the show. It makes it such a unique experience.

I gotta say Ed and Glenn need to do an album together, "Falling Slowly"---AMAZING!!

Gawd, this is why we need boots! Would love to hear all the stories! :mrgreen::mrgreen: Would be interested to hear Falling Slowly too now that they've performed it a few times; I think I saw the first one at Beacon 2.

More fanviews please!! Thank you!
  • Options
    PJ2010MOM and I were there with my two girls. They didn't know they were going to the show until we stood at the corner across from the theatre and they wanted to know why all of those people were over there... They both loved the show, as did mom and I. The best comment though was my 8 yr old when Eddie started playing Lukin - she's heard this before but it's not one I play on a regular basis with them... she looked at my mom and said "is he singing about cookie dough?" when he said "can't find the keys to my own fucking home". My 11 yr old and I had beer poured on us as we walked to our seats. She didn't like the smell of beer combined with sweat. Both said it was the best night they ever had. My oldest yelled "bye eddie!" multiple times as he left the stage.

Awesome evening. Thanks Ed and Ten Club! Oh, and a special thanks for playing Porch!

DOA
  • Options
    pjsycopjsyco Wilmington, NC Posts: 642
    Two words: fucking awesome. Great set list and show and also had a blast at the Wishlist pre-party. Mindi, GREAT job on setting up and pulling off the party. Met a lot of awesome people there!
  • Options
    IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
    I apologize in advance, Kat and Sea, for jumping in here when I wasn't there! Like you peeps get excited seeing other PJ peeps, I also get excited about ASL peeps! I want to try to get in touch with the peeps in attendance that requested the ASL service for EV show!!

I laughed at his "upgraded" dirty words. :P "Designated signer". HAHAHAHA!

I'd love to know who these interpreters are and the peeps in attendance so I can get in touch with them and find out more!

What did it look like with "Asshole" and "Prick"? Dang, gotta see it in person right? Hard to describe it in English for me? That's why I want to get in touch with them... I'm pretty sure the former is the same as we use here in Detroit. But Prick.... hmm, curious what the interpreter demonstrated.

Wish I was there!!! I also enjoyed other tidbits shared here... great setlist and stories shared. Very cool of EV to decidate I Am Mine (also my favorite!) to Chris and his family that lost everything in Joplin and big props to Wishlist for hosting a party in his honor.

Glad everyone had a great time!! :mrgreen: I think it's so fricken cool to read about ASL at a show I wasn't at!! Finally feeling like I wasn't alone and some other peeps also enjoy EV like I do. :D Rock on!!!
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
  • Options
    rw279303rw279303 Posts: 1
    The show was amazing.

And I have to thank my wife for sneaking off and giving the letter to "a woman in a headset" who worked for Eddie. My name is Robbie and it was a complete surprise that he dedicated "Just Breathe" to us. I am still shocked and all my friends and family are so excited.

I have been a PJ fan since 91. I have seen them 7 times and I saw Eddie on the last solo tour. The setlist was amazing. Glenn was amazing. Hearing my name was amazing. For a lifelong Pearl Jam fan planning on raising another lifelong Pearl Jam fan, it was a dream come true.

Thanks to Eddie, the woman who worked for him, and my lovely wife.

p.s.
    The STL crowd was sublime.
  • Options
    jopetto75jopetto75 Posts: 397
    what to say except how far to the next show
    thumbing my way !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for me was i dreaming
    think I will pack my shit and go 8 to MN, hrs i can make it
    thats how good the show was! That I am in St Louis by myself until Monday why not?
    I dont have a ticket but I am still going anybody want to go come on!
    we will come back tomorrow you want regret it pm me but i am headed notrh to
    see him again thats how good the show was
    Don't need to say more!
    until next time......
  • Options
    NoWay wrote:
    Yeah Chicago night 2 in 08 was allright, the first night in Chicago that year was absolutely one show that is tough to top.
    Exhausted people. That blew away 08' CHI 2 by a light year. Comedy, dedications, 34 songs?! Nighty night....

I was at that 1st night in Chicago 08 in the 2nd row. It was really special and will always be a favorite of mine. The STL show is in that class, though, thanks to both Ed and Glen. They brought it to STL in a big way. Falling Slowly was just incredible, along with Sleepless Nights. I can't wait to see more of Glen at PJ20. Such a treat. And the Havana Moon lead in to You're True was a classy nod to St. Louis' own Chuck Berry who's still playing in his 80s and is a (the?) founding father of Rock n Roll. Made me listen to the whole song this morning. Ed's little Improve to the ASL translator was pretty damn funny too. Can't wait to hear it on a boot, if such a thing existed. ;)

As usual, I met a lot of great PJ fans outside the venue before the show. That's another highlight for me, and this was the most respectful yet loud EV crowd I've seen - - the way it should always be. Hope to see you all again soon.

And special thanks to my wife who's a true PJ fan herself and allowed me to relay the setlist, which was a lot of fun. Have fun Minneapolis!

Good to meet you last night! We had a blast!
    Straight down the center for a hot chicken dinner!
  • Options
    WOW! That show was utterly fantastic! I loved hearing I Am Mine and Thumbing My Way! I left the theatre in awe and am so glad I was finally able to go to one of these solo shows.
    My brother loved the show so much he said he had to buy a t-shirt afterwards so he could remember this amazing event! (I of course bought one right away though :lol: )
    Thank you, Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,175
    amazing show. had good seats, 4th row of the balcony, which was closer than a lot of people that had floor tix because the balcony hangs over a good portion of the floor. the guy next to me was one of the people screaming "i love you eddie" and "woooooooooooooo" and "oowwwwwwwwww" at completely random times while ed was trying to talk, so aside from that it was the perfect night.. great set, great energy, and i could tell that everyone there were bigtime fans. no heckling, or negativity that i could tell. my only issue, (that i wouldn't even call negative, just that they were overwhelmed) was with the logistics of how the merch booth and beverage/food lines were set up. very inefficient, and very slow. aside from that it was fucking amazing.

i stood next to chris from joplin at the preparty for awhile and did not even know it was him. it was awesome to hear the shout out to him and ed said that they would be in touch and the band would be doing some things to help out him and his family. that was really touching. how many other bands would do something like that?

a few random notes...
    i was standing on a corner on washington st outside and kind of behind the venue and i came across a group of kids, maybe age 10 or so with who i am guessing was their mom. they left to go to the preparty and i looked down where the kids had been sitting and the kids had spelled out "eddie vedder" on the curb with candy and some shards of mulch that was taken from the landscaping. i thought to myself "now THOSE kids are pretty cool".... i snapped a pic of it and may post it here if i can figure out how to do it.

loved the comedy. ed could do standup if he wasn't doing the music thing.

the duets with glen were amazing, like hair-on-the-back-of-your-neck-raising amazing..especially falling slowly and sleepless nights...

the end of the show was interesting. they came out and played hard sun and afterward ed was trying to leave the stage, as it was just after 11:00, and every time he made a move towards the side of the stage the crowd volume swelled. ed realized that they were not going to let him leave so he kind of stood there for a minute as if he was thinking, turned around like he was looking for something, and then you could kind of see a light go off in his head and he walked over and grabbed a uke and sat down and played dream a little dream. it was a pretty cool moment.

after the show there was a group of maybe 75 people standing behind the venue and ed came out and talked to us for a few minutes and thanked us for all of the support and for coming out and making it a great show. people were able to snap some pics which i thought was cool. and he was rocking an old school 70's style san diego padres hat, which was awesome lol...

if you ever have a chance to catch ed on one of these tours, do it. don't let yourself miss out.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    SawyerSawyer Posts: 2,411
    is that poster some kind of sick joke?
  • Options
    VedHead2VedHead2 Posts: 112
    My God!! How could I have forgot to mention arc? I had the goosebumps. It was unbelievable!
  • Options
    VedHead2VedHead2 Posts: 112
    Thanks. I was a little too young when I had him but I wouldn't have it any other way. My sons are so cool. And they have great taste in music!!
    Thanks again to you!

VedHead2 wrote:
    The energy was astounding!! He even commented on how great we were. "god damn this world!! Fucking snoopy is a terrorist too" lmao!!
    It was my 2 sons 14 and 8 first show. And my first Ed show. We will never forget it! Falling slowly was breathtaking, and unthought known was insane! Porch!!!! I love that man!
    Going to bed.

You don't look old enough to have a 14 year old son! Hope they both had a blast. You and your niece as well.
  • Options
    blkhwk21blkhwk21 Posts: 18
    amazing show. had good seats, 4th row of the balcony, which was closer than a lot of people that had floor tix because the balcony hangs over a good portion of the floor. the guy next to me was one of the people screaming "i love you eddie" and "woooooooooooooo" and "oowwwwwwwwww" at completely random times while ed was trying to talk, so aside from that it was the perfect night.. great set, great energy, and i could tell that everyone there were bigtime fans. no heckling, or negativity that i could tell. my only issue, (that i wouldn't even call negative, just that they were overwhelmed) was with the logistics of how the merch booth and beverage/food lines were set up. very inefficient, and very slow. aside from that it was fucking amazing.

i stood next to chris from joplin at the preparty for awhile and did not even know it was him. it was awesome to hear the shout out to him and ed said that they would be in touch and the band would be doing some things to help out him and his family. that was really touching. how many other bands would do something like that?

a few random notes...
    i was standing on a corner on washington st outside and kind of behind the venue and i came across a group of kids, maybe age 10 or so with who i am guessing was their mom. they left to go to the preparty and i looked down where the kids had been sitting and the kids had spelled out "eddie vedder" on the curb with candy and some shards of mulch that was taken from the landscaping. i thought to myself "now THOSE kids are pretty cool".... i snapped a pic of it and may post it here if i can figure out how to do it.

loved the comedy. ed could do standup if he wasn't doing the music thing.

the duets with glen were amazing, like hair-on-the-back-of-your-neck-raising amazing..especially falling slowly and sleepless nights...

the end of the show was interesting. they came out and played hard sun and afterward ed was trying to leave the stage, as it was just after 11:00, and every time he made a move towards the side of the stage the crowd volume swelled. ed realized that they were not going to let him leave so he kind of stood there for a minute as if he was thinking, turned around like he was looking for something, and then you could kind of see a light go off in his head and he walked over and grabbed a uke and sat down and played dream a little dream. it was a pretty cool moment.

after the show there was a group of maybe 75 people standing behind the venue and ed came out and talked to us for a few minutes and thanked us for all of the support and for coming out and making it a great show. people were able to snap some pics which i thought was cool. and he was rocking an old school 70's style san diego padres hat, which was awesome lol...

if you ever have a chance to catch ed on one of these tours, do it. don't let yourself miss out.

As for the end of the show- Ed did that both nights in Chicago, waving goodbye while exiting the stage and then rips off his scientist coat and is like "what the F" I'll play one more for you. Although he has done it several times now, I do believe it is a special thanks for those shows where the fans were exceptional- as both ST. Louis and Chicago were.

I attended Chicago night 1 in 08 and both shows this year. The 08 show and night 1 this year were just amazing. This show seems to be right along those lines - wish I could have been there as well- you all were treated to a very special night! A special shout out to Sue and Lou- Told you it would just get better!!! What an amazing trip- can't wait for PJ20, this was the perfect appetizer.
  • Options
    Good to meet you last night! We had a blast!

You too, B. It was a lot of fun. Sorry we couldn't catch up after the show. Had to leave right after because our daughter got sick. Hope you had a good night in STL afterwards. Send me your contact info if you'll be at PJ20.

I hope someone recorded Ed's cover of Substitute with Elvis Costello at the Pageant last night before his set at the Fox. How I wish I could've heard that. That venue isn't that close either, so EV had to really hustle to pull it off.
    Champaign - 4/23/03
    Kansas City - 5/3/10
    Las Vegas - 6/6/03
    Memphis - 6/20/09 (EV)
    Moline - 10/17/14
    Oklahoma City - 11/16/13
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,175
    i didn't know he had done that before. i did not look at any prior setlists so i did not want to be expecting something that might not happen, and i didn't want a spoiler, so it was a treat to just see what songs he was going to play as they happened.

does anyone know the significance of the labcoats?
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    iamicaiamica Chicago Posts: 2,628
    You guys got Thumbing My Way?! Jealous!!
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • Options
    yellowwhoyellowwho Posts: 1,661
    Wow!! is all I got to say. Can't really add anything that hasn't been said already...you just have to try and make one of these show If you can. It was my first solo show and I wasn't sure what to expect, but It was probably one of the best shows I have seen. Glenn,as I'm sure everyone knows was amazing. A few times I had to just sit back in my seat in amazement. He can really sing and play...great performer. Just him and his guitar up there, and he pours his heart out on every song! Leave was great, probably listen to that song many times in the past couple months and his vocals really shined on that live.
    Eddie came on and played for over 2 hours and I think he just killed it! I think these shows are really starting to pick up steam,as he seems to be really comfortable up there. He seemed to be having a great time and the stories and crowd interaction were really good. It really does give you a sense of intimacy being at one of these shows. All the Uke song were great live in my opinion, could have even listened to a few more. They really took advantage of the acoustics in the venue. Falling slowly was great, Rise, Immortally, Just breathe,the whole setlist was great. Eddie and Glen sharing the stage,they really brought it down!
    Not really to many bad commits to say about this show. I was sitting right behind the aisle in the balcony and seen a lot of people walking back and forth carrying giant cup holders of beer, I was almost expecting someone to bring back some nachos or a hot dog at one point was starting to think I was at a ball game :D But if someone wants to spend half the show waiting in line more power to em'. I was kinda just there to see the show. But other than that I thought the crowd had a pretty good energy. Didn't once have to worry about missing part of the show!

Really hope to able to see another one sometime, It was great!
  • Options
    crowes74crowes74 Posts: 273
    negatives first. poster was average (being kind) and the 3 frat boys next to me need to quit texting the whole show and enjoy themselves.

positives. really too many to mention. show was far better than i expected and i went in with high expectations.

the fox is a gem. its the forth time i've seen mr.vedder at this venue and it gets better every time. i remember when they played one of the 'vs' dates there eddie stated he wished they had booked the american. i believe the lack of a general admission area in front of stage wasnt to his liking in those younger years. that kinda went along with his signature on the painting by the dressing room remark. wiser with age i guess. was caught off gaurd by the construction walking in, but in all honesty the merch stands are always in the same spot and a bitch to get to OR around. (useless information: the dead tried to buy the fox alooong time ago(before it had been fixed back up), but they didnt want that kind of element around st.lou.

that glen fella was fantastic solo and with eddie, i will be looking into his catalog soon. seemed like a man who didnt take his stage time for granted either.

eddie was eddie. perfect from start to finish. best front man going in my opinion. i heard alot of songs that caught me by surprise. driftin' and porch id say was the major pj highlights for me. always love to hear the cover tunes, and he didnt disappoint last night either. the falling slowly duet was very special. as for arc, it was neat to see once, but give me a couple more songs next time please. stories from both gents made night flow along, damn shame they didnt start the show at noon and play till 11p.

does he always get his attention stolen by the signer's? remember him being taken back by one at riverport many years ago. anyway, that was a cool moment with the two of them.

eddie also seems to be a down to earth fella, kind of an every day fella with a dream gig. as for the opening vedder quote along the lines of ' its time to say something i dont get to say often, good evening st.louis', eddie talk to your booking agent, i'm sure st.louis will welcome you ( and whomever your playing with) every year if youd like.
  • Options
    nocode85nocode85 Posts: 133
    Everyone here has pretty much summed it up, it was an incredibly amazing setlist/show. I was a little worried about the "thieves of silence" ruining some of the more intimate parts of the show but other than a few loud 'woooo's' here and there it wasn't too bad. One thing worth mentioning is that Ed actually went to The Pageant a few miles away from the Fox and played a song or two with Elvis Costello prior to perfoming at the Fox. How lucky for those in attendance!
    St. Louis '00, St. Louis '03, St. Louis '04, Chicago '06, LA '06, Chicago '07, D.C. '08, Chicago '09, St. Louis '10, East Troy '11(1), East Troy '11(2), Atlanta '12, Chicago '13, Oklahoma City '13, St. Louis '14, Moline '14, Milwaukee '14, Lexington '16, Chicago '16, Chicago '16
  • Options
    neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    whats the story with the dedication to the board member?
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Options
    StL PJStL PJ Posts: 1
    From the St. Louis Post-Dispatch today

"With two major concerts in town on Friday night -- Elvis Costello at the Pageant and Eddie Vedder at the Fox -- some fans may have been hard-pressed to choose which show to attend.

Those who wanted to see both but opted for Costello wound up getting their wish. Just a few minutes into the show, Vedder strode out of the wings and joined Costello on a driving cover of the Who's "Substitute.""

Read more: http://www.stltoday.com/entertainment/a ... z1QyY3uEeO