Options

RIOT ACT (why it sucks ) ANDITDOES

Comments

• Options
    yosi wrote:
    I completely agree. I love Ghost :D. Totally underrated song.
    Every comparison I drew was to previous pj stuf, not comparred to like stp, or queens of the stone age or something.
    You have to admit its not on the level or key like light years, or lowlight, or even given to fly, or even courdory. I mean its not a real big (goose pimple)album

Thats what I mean.
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • Options
    yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    Every comp[arison I drew was to previous pj stuf, not comparred to like stp, or queens of the stone age or something.
    You have to admit its not on the level or key like light years, or lowlight, or even given to fly, or even courdory. I mean its not a real big (goose pimple)album

Thats what I mean.

I don't know, I get goosebumps listening Save You, Ghost, All or None, LBC, etc.

Sure, Ed's not screaming, I agree. But I don't think screaming = emotions.

Aright, I gotta go. We will continue this discussion later I'm sure :D
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Options
    yosi wrote:
    Again, I don't see it that way as a lack of, even compared to other PJ albums. Just different.

Take 1/2 full out, there really aerent any climatic or progressive breakdowns at all.
    Like the end of dissedent, middle of cordoroy, the whole wstructure of a song like hard to imagine, or present tense.It never erally reaches the feeling from a song like hold on. I enjoy it. I am not ripping it. But that is something thats differant.
    I enjoy the structuring of bushleager, the fills in on ghost, the flow on I am mine, even lbc where they could have did this they opted for the sweet piano of boom which sends the measage the days can be bright before they get dark again.
    Which isnt always the case with the music.

no more shows
  • Options
    yosi wrote:
    I don't know, I get goosebumps listening Save You, Ghost, All or None, LBC, etc.

Sure, Ed's not screaming, I agree. But I don't think screaming = emotions.

Aright, I gotta go. We will continue this discussion later I'm sure :D

I didnt mention screaming from Ed, I think its more guitar chords.
    If you get goose bumps from those songs it truly is your favorite, but you have to understand where Im coming from.
    I get goose bumps from not for you. My favorite.

no more shows
  • Options
    dirtyTdirtyT Posts: 3,620
    bdgavin wrote:
    It's Bush League compared to PJ's other stuff...

The only good songs were I Am Mine, Save You, Green Disease, and Bushleaguer. Ed sounded like he was going through the motions. He sounded off key on a few songs that could have been great. He mumbled through Thumbing My Way and sounded off on Love Boat Captain. He sounded like he wanted to get in and out on a lot of the songs.

For much of the album I thought maybe his voice was done and that's why he didn't go balls out like he did on Yield. (I thought he was muddled on Binaural, too, but came to the conclusion that maybe that's what they were going for because most of the songs were very good, just understated.) Bushleaguer had awsome music, yet Ed did it spoken word. Then he does Arc, thumbing his nose, saying, STILL GOT THE GREAT PIPES, JUST DON'T ALWAYS USE EM!!!

I think a lot of time PJ flies or falls on whether or not Ed comes with it. I don't think he brought his A game with Riot Act. His work on Into the Wild is vintage genius Ed. That's the stuff I like. The songs that affect you long term. On the recent Integral interview, Stone mentioned the small songs that you shake your head at upon first listen and then after a while you realize how awsome they are. No Code and Binaural crept up on me way later. Riot Act hasn't yet.
    Thank you Randy Jackson.

1/2 Full in my opinion of course, is the best song on both Riot Act and Binural. Maybe I feel this way because of the steller performance I saw of it in Grand Rapids 04. Thank you.
    Cuyahoga Falls 98, Columbus 00, Cleveland 03, Columbus 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, Kitchener 05, Cleveland 06, Cincinnati 06, Washington DC 08, Philadelphia IV 09, Columbus 10, Cleveland 10, Chicago 13, Pittsburgh 13, Cincinnati 14, Chicago (1) 16, Chicago (2) 16
  • Options
    pjstarrpjstarr Posts: 270
    I don't dislike any PJ album. They are all perfect IMO. :)
    I agree with you completely, Every album is great and anyone that says any one album sucks is not a true dedicated fan. Sure not every song on every album works for everyone, but there are enough killer songs on each and every album to consider them especially great. Let the guy continue to listen to candlewax or three dog night or whatever he said. Riot Act has some great jams on it, like all their material. Everyone is entitled to there own opinion, but damn, sucks is pretty harsh for a so called fan to say.
    "I think this is the coldest red wine I've ever had"
    E.V- Ice Bowl, Alpine Valley 2000

Alpine Valley 6 -27-98 Palace 10-7-00 Alpine Valley 10-8-00
    Shoreline 6-1-03 DTE 6-25-03 DTE 6-26-03
    Pepsi Center 7-2-06 Pepsi Center 7-3-06
    Riverside Theater E.V solo 8-19-08
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,759
    bdgavin wrote:
    . He mumbled through Thumbing My Way and sounded off on Love Boat Captain.

Whatever. These are the two best songs on the album. Let me ask you this, when we had hearing tests in elementary school, are you 100 percent positive you heard all the beeps?
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    mattosbornemattosborne Posts: 339
    Funny this thread came about now, the past few days I've been listening to Riot Act non-stop for the first time in probably 2 years or more. It's a different kind of vibe for sure but, I love it.
    jjstarr wrote:
    Anyone that says any one album sucks is not a true dedicated fan.

I completely 100% disagree with this statement. While I do like all their albums a lot, to question someone's love for PJ because they don't like a particular album is dumb.
    The Official Matt Cameron appreciation signature!
  • Options
    ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    eddie didnt show up to play .(emphasis on the period! {emphasis on the exclamation point})

wrong
  • Options
    pjstarrpjstarr Posts: 270
    Funny this thread came about now, the past few days I've been listening to Riot Act non-stop for the first time in probably 2 years or more. It's a different kind of vibe for sure but, I love it.

I completely 100% disagree with this statement. While I do like all their albums a lot, to question someone's love for PJ because they don't like a particular album is dumb.

Just my opinion, if someone is a true and dedicated fan I don't think they would shit on anything the band poured their heart and time into. Like I said just my opinion, he can have his and I can have mine.
    "I think this is the coldest red wine I've ever had"
    E.V- Ice Bowl, Alpine Valley 2000

Alpine Valley 6 -27-98 Palace 10-7-00 Alpine Valley 10-8-00
    Shoreline 6-1-03 DTE 6-25-03 DTE 6-26-03
    Pepsi Center 7-2-06 Pepsi Center 7-3-06
    Riverside Theater E.V solo 8-19-08
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    i thought Riot Act was the beginning of the end for Pearl Jam
  • Options
    morgie2morgie2 Posts: 1,065
    To each his own, but there is some gold here:

Can't Keep
    Save You
    Love Boat Captain
    I Am Mine
    Thumbing My Way
    You Are
    1/2 Full
    Arc
    All Or None

Pearl Jam loses part of it's "soul" without some of these.
    Boston II 94 Boston II 06 Mansfield I 08 Mansfield II 08 Seattle I 09 Seattle II 09
    Hartford 10 Boston 10 Wrigley 13 Worcester I 13 Worcester II 13 Hartford 13
    NYC I 16 NYC II 16 Fenway I 16 Fenway II 16  Fenway 1 18  Fenway II 18
    E.V. Boston II 08 E.V. Albany II 09 E.V. Providence 11, E.V. Boston 11
    Troubled Souls Unite
  • Options
    morgie2 wrote:
    To each his own, but there is some gold here:

Can't Keep
    Save You
    Love Boat Captain
    I Am Mine
    Thumbing My Way
    You Are
    1/2 Full
    Arc
    All Or None

Pearl Jam loses part of it's "soul" without some of these.

Yup, that would pretty much be my list, although I'd add Green Disease, in there, too.

Another point: Ed handled the lyrics on all those songs but one. I don't think that's a coincidence.
  • Options
    mattosbornemattosborne Posts: 339
    jjstarr wrote:
    Just my opinion, if someone is a true and dedicated fan I don't think they would shit on anything the band poured their heart and time into. Like I said just my opinion, he can have his and I can have mine.

Just because you truly don't like something doesn't mean you're shitting on it.
    The Official Matt Cameron appreciation signature!
  • Options
    i'll just pile it on a little, but first i'll say that i like Green Disease, Cant Keep and Half Full.

the rest sucks, but its not all Ed's fault. The guitar parts on this album are some the weakest, most generic, moderate rock, adult contemporary shit Mike ever played.

he needs to lose the dye job.
  • Options
    1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Worcester, MA Posts: 2,841
    I'll say this, Riot Act is certainly more unique than Avocado was.

You Are is an amazing tune.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Boston I, Boston II 
    2018 Boston I, Boston II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 Boston I, Boston II
  • Options
    Riot Act is 10X better than Avocado.
  • Options
    alright kids let me break it down for you, firstly if you say that someone isnt a true fan if they dont like a portion of an artists catalogue and you are over 21 just go kill yourself (or at least have your gonads removed before you start to breed). secondly Riot Act does indeed suck and the reson it sucks is not the songs nor the production But is in fact the keys and vocal stylings of eddie he is either singing in a key that is way the fuck out of his range (lve boat captain) or he is not even singing at all (thumbing my way) >>I suspect, and this is only a theory that it was indeed intentional. it was a very raw sounding record and i suspect he figured singing in that manner was his "raw style" . this, i believe is evidenced by that last song.. Go and listen to what he does on the last verse of the last song >>>>HE STARTS TO SING!!!!! ,which I read as a little ,wink wink nudge nudge to everybody(its just too bad he didnt do that on the entire album!!!) ok ,kids , now youve learned your lesson for the day, now go and run along to the sand box but be sure to be back before the street lights come on!!
  • Options
    pjpitt89pjpitt89 Posts: 1,825
    why does thumbing my way get no love? i happen to LOVE it, along with most of riot act
    9/1/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/12/03, 10/1/04, 9/28/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 8/7/08 (EV), 6/12/09 (EV), 10/27/09, 10/28/09,10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 6/15/11 (EV), 9/2/12, 7/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/27/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/7/16, 11/4/16 (TOTD), 8/18/18, 8/20/18, 9/24/21 (EV&Earthlings), 9/26/21, 9/11/2022, 9/14/2022
  • Options
    its because it is such a good song that isnt sung
  • Options
    bacojbacoj Posts: 120
    I've got your back JJ. I think it's completely fair and within any fan's rights to be critical of PJ's work. To say you don't like an album or maybe put it last on your list is an honest, objective opinion. Further, to say that an album sucks or you hate it is also a rightful opinion. But when you voice your opinion in such a harsh way and in such a negative manner it does call into question your true, bottomline level of fanhood. Wouldn't you defend Riot Act when being totally slammed by a fair-weather PJ fan or anyone else for that matter? I think what JJstarr was trying to say was that there's beauty in every PJ record and the most dedicated and hard-core PJ fans will have no trouble finding it. The fair-weather fans or more critical ones will be much quicker to point out a PJ record that has "bad songs" or to dump on it completely and say "it sucks".
    mmmmm, it does go well with the chicken.....delicious again peter

E. Troy 98, E. Lansing 98, Barrie 98, Hartford 98, Noblesville 00, Detroit 00, E. Troy 00, Champaign 03, Detroit 03 x 2, Grand Rapids 06, Detroit 06, EV Milwaukee 08, SLC 09, Missoula 12
  • Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    ok ,kids , now youve learned your lesson for the day, now go and run along to the sand box but be sure to be back before the street lights come on!!

do me a favor and....... shut up.

you trying to sound intelligent = you not sounding intelligent

you trying to be funny = not funny

now get off of your daddys computer b4 he gets home and you get in trouble for hanging out in a "big Kids" place.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    bacoj wrote:
    I've got your back JJ. I think it's completely fair and within any fan's rights to be critical of PJ's work. To say you don't like an album or maybe put it last on your list is an honest, objective opinion. Further, to say that an album sucks or you hate it is also a rightful opinion. But when you voice your opinion in such a harsh way and in such a negative manner it does call into question your true, bottomline level of fanhood. Wouldn't you defend Riot Act when being totally slammed by a fair-weather PJ fan or anyone else for that matter? I think what JJstarr was trying to say was that there's beauty in every PJ record and the most dedicated and hard-core PJ fans will have no trouble finding it. The fair-weather fans or more critical ones will be much quicker to point out a PJ record that has "bad songs" or to dump on it completely and say "it sucks".

Here's my deal. I got into this band for one reason and one reason only: Ed's lyrics.

If not for them, I probably wouldn't have cared about this band so much. I mean, the music is good ... sometimes spectacular ... but it's ed's way with poetry that really sets them apart.

As far as I can tell, Ed has written lyrics on every single album so far ... therefore, every single Pearl Jam album has some value to me. All these "I wanna rock" meatheads can blow off Binaural, RA and Self-Titled ... they are some of my favorites, because Ed's lyrics went to another level on those albums, IMO
  • Options
    you trying to sound intelligent = you not sounding intelligent (5$)

you trying to be funny = not funny (10$)

now get off of your daddys computer b4 he gets home and you get in trouble for hanging out in a "big Kids" place. (priceless)

the very fact that you accuse me of sounding intelligent leads me to believe that my words struck you as intelligent (N'EST PAS!!) the same with being funny ,, so , when all is said and done, thanks for the compliment,(your inferiority is my nector and ambrosia)
  • Options
    you are so profound
  • Options
    jxchambjxchamb Posts: 55
    Sounds like somebody got themselves a broke copy of Riot Act because when I play mine only awesome music comes out of my speakers.
    All Or None is one of the best songs they have ever done. You can not dispute that.
  • Options
    satansbedbugssatansbedbugs On Tour Posts: 2,410
    Riot Act is better than Avocado.

EHHHHHHHH..
    *Marker in the Sand Fanclub * HNIC

Philly- 2005, 2013, 2016
    Camden 2000, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2022
    Philly Spectrum 2009 x4 - We closed that MFER Down Proper
    DC- 2006, 2008
    New York- 2008, 2010
    Boston - Fenway 2016
    New Jersey- 2006
    Chicago - 2007
    Seattle- 2005
    EV Solo- DC x2, Baltimore x2 , Newark NJ x2,  Tower Theater x2 

- Given To Fly
  • Options
    no, no i cannot
  • Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    you trying to sound intelligent = you not sounding intelligent (5$)

you trying to be funny = not funny (10$)

now get off of your daddys computer b4 he gets home and you get in trouble for hanging out in a "big Kids" place. (priceless)

the very fact that you accuse me of sounding intelligent leads me to believe that my words struck you as intelligent (N'EST PAS!!) the same with being funny ,, so , when all is said and done, thanks for the compliment,(your inferiority is my nector and ambrosia)

well, take it how you will. but i mean what i said. it sounds like you are trying really hard. trying being the key word.

whatever bro, its all good. im sure your the life of the party for your friends.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    come one, you have a bad day or something??