Options

RIOT ACT (why it sucks ) ANDITDOES

billyshearsbillyshears Posts: 71
edited April 2008 in The Porch
eddie didnt show up to play .(emphasis on the period! {emphasis on the exclamation point})
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    I don't know what you're talking about. Riot Act kicks ass. Fact.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Options
    DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    Worst THREAD ever?

or

Worst Thread EVER?
  • Options
    yosi wrote:
    I don't know what you're talking about. Riot Act kicks ass. Fact.

What makes it fact. Mr. music is all subjective.
    Is your Ass physically bruised from it or something.

I cant wait for the shows!!!
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • Options
    walkthamilewalkthamile Posts: 349
    eddie didnt show up to play .(emphasis on the period! {emphasis on the exclamation point})

Go and listen to Candlebox, 3 Doors Down and Creed!! Double emphasis!!! Triple emphasis!!!...
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour:Member #9-+--+
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    *spits on this thread*

Riot act owns!
  • Options
    HushBullHushBull Posts: 996
    Why it sucks...because it's good?
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
  • Options
    bdgavinbdgavin Posts: 123
    It's Bush League compared to PJ's other stuff...

The only good songs were I Am Mine, Save You, Green Disease, and Bushleaguer. Ed sounded like he was going through the motions. He sounded off key on a few songs that could have been great. He mumbled through Thumbing My Way and sounded off on Love Boat Captain. He sounded like he wanted to get in and out on a lot of the songs.

For much of the album I thought maybe his voice was done and that's why he didn't go balls out like he did on Yield. (I thought he was muddled on Binaural, too, but came to the conclusion that maybe that's what they were going for because most of the songs were very good, just understated.) Bushleaguer had awsome music, yet Ed did it spoken word. Then he does Arc, thumbing his nose, saying, STILL GOT THE GREAT PIPES, JUST DON'T ALWAYS USE EM!!!

I think a lot of time PJ flies or falls on whether or not Ed comes with it. I don't think he brought his A game with Riot Act. His work on Into the Wild is vintage genius Ed. That's the stuff I like. The songs that affect you long term. On the recent Integral interview, Stone mentioned the small songs that you shake your head at upon first listen and then after a while you realize how awsome they are. No Code and Binaural crept up on me way later. Riot Act hasn't yet.
  • Options
    glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    i like it
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • Options
    urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    Riot Act = Awesome :)
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Options
    it doesn't suck. not the best, but doesnt suck.
    "The world is dangerous, feel safe here tonight..." EV 9/17/06

38+6 shows at the age of 27 and counting...but still no Undone

My podcast: Hotel Manager Talk- Dedicated to Hotel Employees, tell your friends. http://www.HotelManagerTalk.com
  • Options
    its abit like marmite...
  • Options
    Fu_ManchuFu_Manchu Posts: 422
    Have you ever had Riot Act on toast?
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
  • Options
    Riot Act is better than Avocado.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options
    DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    I think it's neat.
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Options
    corduroidcorduroid Posts: 293
    Riot Act with Avocado, there's a combo
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Guys he registered in April of this year. Don't feed the trolls.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    PJ_LukinPJ_Lukin Posts: 2,049
    Why? Just keep that shit to yourself. Some people really like Riot Act.
    ~!~ Peace ~!~ Love ~!~ Pearl Jam ~!~
  • Options
    you are,live, is one of the best joints in the PJ catalog!!

save you

i am mine

can't keep

all fucking great tunes!!!!

who let this dufus in? :D
  • Options
    fugawzifugawzi Posts: 878
    Riot Act is a good album
    West Palm 2000 I & II/West Palm '03/Tampa '03/Kissimmee '04/Vic Theater '07/West Palm '08/Tampa '08/NYC MSG I & II '08/Philly Spectrum III & IV '09/Cleveland '10/Bristow '10/PJ20 I & II 2011/Pensacola '12/Pittsburgh '13/Denver '14
  • Options
    DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    you are,live, is one of the best joints in the PJ catalog!!

save you

i am mine

can't keep

all fucking great tunes!!!!

who let this dufus in? :D

Hahahaha I agree but I can't believe you called You Are a "joint"!
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Options
    I agree with the op. I find it pretty boring in comparison to the others. At the end of the day, I want an album that I find fun or exciting to listen to.
  • Options
    JaneNY wrote:
    Guys he registered in April of this year. Don't feed the trolls.

He is not a troll, I checked, just misguieded.

no more shows
  • Options
    bdgavin wrote:
    It's Bush League compared to PJ's other stuff...

The only good songs were I Am Mine, Save You, Green Disease, and Bushleaguer. Ed sounded like he was going through the motions. He sounded off key on a few songs that could have been great. He mumbled through Thumbing My Way and sounded off on Love Boat Captain. He sounded like he wanted to get in and out on a lot of the songs.

For much of the album I thought maybe his voice was done and that's why he didn't go balls out like he did on Yield. (I thought he was muddled on Binaural, too, but came to the conclusion that maybe that's what they were going for because most of the songs were very good, just understated.) Bushleaguer had awsome music, yet Ed did it spoken word. Then he does Arc, thumbing his nose, saying, STILL GOT THE GREAT PIPES, JUST DON'T ALWAYS USE EM!!!

I think a lot of time PJ flies or falls on whether or not Ed comes with it. I don't think he brought his A game with Riot Act. His work on Into the Wild is vintage genius Ed. That's the stuff I like. The songs that affect you long term. On the recent Integral interview, Stone mentioned the small songs that you shake your head at upon first listen and then after a while you realize how awsome they are. No Code and Binaural crept up on me way later. Riot Act hasn't yet.

Heres what I just posted on rito act somewhere else.

Its like this, not even close to my fav material. But I have to admit I listen to this album more. It has a quick overview of some old sounds and than an array of very differant, almost (generic for pearl jam standards vibe). I think they need more music like this. Its a good thing ! Its like for once they just played and didnt try to aim for any kind of sound. Like basic rock. Which can be great if the singer is Ed and the band is tight.
    The songs you like are the ones that are kind of rehashed roots. Green disease has a vs feel, ala rvm, save you remeind me of vitalogy, throw in cant keep, classic pj ten sound, and thumbing is classic pj folk. While all or none is the classic pj old school album closer. After that songs like get right, bushleager, ghost, help help, cropduster, are just joyfull to listen to, I get happy with not much emotion when I play those. Sometimes lack of emotion can be a good thing. I constantly cant be all teary eyed and physched out when I listen to pj cover to cover. Like lbc, Ed is kinda out of key for him, but it makes it easier to understand the measage.
    Into the wild is vintage Ed, but the sign of good singer is to change it up, I look at Ed on riot as pulling off a more simple vibe, to get his measag across to more people rather than muffing the lyrics with hidden measages, or behind heavy drop down punk chords. I mean before this album they had alot to be upset about, and propbably considered breaking up, with 911 and their own traddgedies.
    I completley understand why people would like into the wild better. But when people say Riot Act sucks they forget its a rock band who is allowed to not be alternative all the time, and they still bring their talents, Ed on Riot Act is still way above most singers.

no more shows
  • Options
    What makes it fact. Mr. music is all subjective.
    Is your Ass physically bruised from it or something.

I cant wait for the shows!!!

Come on dude. Don't go giving the OP too much credit :D
  • Options
    yosi wrote:
    Come on dude. Don't go giving the OP too much credit :D
    What about my writeup.

Went to my playlist before this post and went right to ghost, mikes guitar work is simple and great, stones riffs same thing, I enjoy when they play differant notes, instead of their combined sound soemtimes.

no more shows
  • Options
    What about my writeup.

Well, I agree with some of your comparisons to other albums and where they fit in. The only thing I kind of don't agree with, is the stuff about lack of emotion.

I don't think because Ed isn't screaming, that he is emotionless. I think that his style of singing on Riot Act is full of emotion, and is a very good indicator of the emotions he was feeling at that time. Sadness over Roskilde, anger and resentment and also a little bit of giving up because of the war/bush. I think that the way he sings on that album is perfect for the songs they wrote.

And I guess I understand what people mean when they say that the music is more generic, but I just see it as Pearl Jam's attempt to make a classic rock album, and I think they did it brilliantly, and that the album is amazing.
  • Options

Went to my playlist before this post and went right to ghost, mikes guitar work is simple and great, stones riffs same thing, I enjoy when they play differant notes, instead of their combined sound soemtimes.

I completely agree. I love Ghost :D. Totally underrated song.
  • Options
    patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    I don't dislike any PJ album. They are all perfect IMO. :)
  • Options
    yosi wrote:
    Well, I agree with some of your comparisons to other albums and where they fit in. The only thing I kind of don't agree with, is the stuff about lack of emotion.

I don't think because Ed isn't screaming, that he is emotionless. I think that his style of singing on Riot Act is full of emotion, and is a very good indicator of the emotions he was feeling at that time. Sadness over Roskilde, anger and resentment and also a little bit of giving up because of the war/bush. I think that the way he sings on that album is perfect for the songs they wrote.

And I guess I understand what people mean when they say that the music is more generic, but I just see it as Pearl Jam's attempt to make a classic rock album, and I think they did it brilliantly, and that the album is amazing.

lack of compared to other pj albums

its not typical emotional like long road, or release, or oceans type stuff.

no more shows
  • Options
    lack of compared to other pj albums

its not typical emotional like long road, or release, or oceans type stuff.

Again, I don't see it that way as a lack of, even compared to other PJ albums. Just different.