FIFA Women's World Cup Germany 2011

124»

Comments

• Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    What does Go into Penalties mean?
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    What does Go into Penalties mean?
    Shoot out aka penalty kicks
    Go Birds!!!!
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    oh man, that's a terrible call
    am I the only one that thinks it's hilarious that the one US player's last name is boxx?
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Penalty time. Shit's about to get crazy.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,730
    The Fixer wrote:

The red? It's the only call she can make if its a foul.
    The Fixer wrote:
    am I the only one that thinks it's hilarious that the one US player's last name is boxx?

I have been saying this all day.
    This is such a shitty way to end a great game. Go to golden goal after the first 30 minutes.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

I have been saying this all day.

ah man. the boxx gets you every time
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

The red? It's the only call she can make if its a foul.

Yeah, I thought the japanese chick got more of the ball. I guess ref had to call it

Red card didn't really matter at that point
    What a shitty way to lose.
    Lloyd hasn't hit the net all fucking day
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,966
    this is such a young team. PK's from the USA look like pee wee shit.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    damn :(
  • Don't they want to win. Make a PK!!
    Memorial Stadium, Seattle - Jul 21 22, 1998
    Key Arena - Nov 05, 2000
    Gorge Amphitheater - Sep 01, 2005, Jul 22,23, 2006
    Key Arena - Sept 21,22, 2009
    Alpine Valley - Sept 3, 4 2011
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    Dominated and pressured all game too only go into defensive mode in the 2nd 15 cost them.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • That was a waste of 2 1/2 hrs of my life.
    Memorial Stadium, Seattle - Jul 21 22, 1998
    Key Arena - Nov 05, 2000
    Gorge Amphitheater - Sep 01, 2005, Jul 22,23, 2006
    Key Arena - Sept 21,22, 2009
    Alpine Valley - Sept 3, 4 2011
    That was a great game. If USA had to lose it's kinda cool that it was to japan. That country has been through a lot recently with the tsunamis
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    wow ... just wow ...

hard to watch a team get tight in the collar like that
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Congratulations to Japan. This is something they needed after what has happened to their country this year.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    What a shitty way to lose.

my senior year of high school we lost in the state semis and the semis of the state coaches postseason tourney both in PKs. I'm still bitter about it
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,823
    choking-method.jpg

just kidding. Great finals and congrats to Japan.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,385
    The Fixer wrote:
    That was a great game. If USA had to lose it's kinda cool that it was to japan. That country has been through a lot recently with the tsunamis

Surprisingly good perspective from you. :P

Congrats Japan.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    apparently i'm the only one here who was cheerin' for them...

NIPPON!!!!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    haffajappa wrote:

NIPPON!!!!!

Awesome for you... especially I gather after the disaster from the Canucks.

Congratulations to Japan and ALL that the country has had to endear this year.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    g under p wrote:
    haffajappa wrote:

NIPPON!!!!!

Awesome for you... especially I gather after the disaster from the Canucks.

Congratulations to Japan and ALL that the country has had to endear this year.

Peace
    The Canucks weren't a disaster. They took us to the final game of the stanley cup playoffs and gave us an amazing journey. Only one team can win, that's sports, that's life. Besides, I got to be in the building when we won the Western Conference which was an amazing game and I'm super thankful for that :D

As for today (though I didn't get to watch that game since I was on my way back from seattle :( )... Every time I watch Sawa lift that trophy I get goosebumps and can feel my eyes well up. I just spoke with my dad on the phone and we both agreed how much this meant to him and I and especially Nippon. Amazing! So proud of these girls! :D
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    horrible loss just totally horrible

that was a choke job to the purest form of sports that you can possibly get. when you have the lead you don't go for the 3rd goal, you pass the ball and kill the clock and pretty much not give a fuck. don't even get me started on the cute pass clearing attempt either. that was so pathetic to watch. i didn't know if that was 5 year old girls doing that or if it was professionals. the great hope solo was so good, not. i honestly woulda taken her outta the game after her injury. the PK was just the icing on the cake of the choke job. i've never been more disgusted with a us soccer squad than this one and i've been watching us soccer since the early 90's.

congrats Japan :)
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Cool Face RyanCool Face Ryan Posts: 1,254
    Alex Morgan First Team All Smoke Show. Slammin hottie
    MSG II 5/21/10
    Tres Mts. Gramercy Theatre 3/26/11
    *formerly manutd3581
  • Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    The Fixer wrote:

Surprisingly good perspective from you. :P

Congrats Japan.
    While I am hardly a first class journalist, I am the sports editor at the local paper and I wrote my column about this for this week. Truly, if they had to lose I'm glad it was to Japan. Sports can bring back pride and some sense of normalcy even in times when things aren't right. Everyone needs some kind of diversion.

But Metsfan is right....straight up choke job on the part of the US I would agree. They had enough opportunities within the first 30 minutes to put it away and they blew every one of them. Had two leads. Couldn't even get the ball on goal in PKs....really? Oh well, like i said, it's cool that japan won because they needed it more than we did.
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • EdsonNascimentoEdsonNascimento Posts: 5,519
    manutd3581 wrote:
    Alex Morgan First Team All Smoke Show. Slammin hottie

Did you hear the story where her dad promised her a Lexus for a certain number of goals in High School. Now forgetting that this is someone who now scored in the World Cup, so she must have been 100 x's better than anyone she was playing against at the time even if it was an Academy type setting - it's the cluelessness of how bad that sounds that you would even let anyone know that existed that astounds me.

The other thing on the telecast that stood out to me is the announcers commenting that this was the team's (Japan's) Lake Placid moment/Miracle on Ice.

Really? The #4 ranked team in the world beating the #1 ranked team in the world for the first time ever in a sitrring come back sounds a lot more like Red Sox/Yankees than a bunch of amateurs from a country that (for the most part) barely knows what ice looks like beating a bunch of professionals from the behind the Iron Curtain at the height of the Cold War. I realize international audience may not get the former, but the latter simply does not apply. So, why say anything?

I love when announcers mis-use allusions like that so badly.

The only shot that looked like a choke job to me is the one that skied it about 10 feet over the bar. Baggio would be proud. I hear the 49ers need a place kicker.

As someone else mentioned, it was nice to see Japan win if the US couldn't all things considered.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.