Options

Eddie's Voice and the direction of pj

13»

Comments

• Options
    October22 wrote:
    what happened when he quit?

This: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEBwrtjusiM
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    Smellyman2Smellyman2 Posts: 689

that sounded awfully whiny
  • Options
    Smellyman wrote:
    that sounded awfully whiny

You're crazy. :p That's the best live performance of Hunger Strike I've heard, including Lolla 92.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    dserverdserver Posts: 25
    I saw Audioslave back in 05 and Cornell sounded just fine, I don't know what your all complaining about.

As for Eddie, his voice is just getting older. He doesn't have that young spirit in him to really push his voice out, if you know what I mean.
    Hartford 06
    Hartford 08
    Hartford 10
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    He sometimes doesn't do so well on the faster, harder songs. You know why? He's 40-something fucking years old. It's hard to shriek for 20 years.

But guess what? Though ed is a worse *screamer* than he was in 1993, he's a far better *singer*.

And I prefer the Ed who sings more than the Ed who screams at this point in my life. Maybe there was a time when that was different.

Another thing I'll note, i have some boots from '95 on which Ed's voice is *almost* unbearable. Everything is kind of oversung, and a lot of times he sounds like one of those mid-90s fucks trying to do an Ed impression. I just think that level of screaming is impossible to sustain night in and night out.

Nowadays, he knows how to harness his voice. He doesn't often oversing. And on songs that call for him to *sing* instead of *scream* he is far and away better than 25-year-old EV could have ever hoped to.

I couldn't imagine EV being able to pull off Arc in 1995, could you?

I agree completely. It really only took him 5 years of abuse to his voice before it became nearly unbearable. anything after the 95/96 shows he started to sing softer and scream less, and that is where everything improved. Could you imagine him trying to sing like he did in 95 now? it would be much more unbearable, his voice would probably just cut out screaming like that. And I agree with you, I'll take Ed singing alive or black today then he did in the 90's. and personally, i love his raspier voice much more when he does decide to scream. His voice was the best in 2000 i will admit though.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    nowayimfaithfullnowayimfaithfull Posts: 2,051
    I'm not so sure I agree with you... his *singing* isn't quite as fluid as it used to be. He stops notes short to take breaths more often which can be annoying. I also think he tries to hard to have a "mellow" singing voice on some songs, he practically whispers Immortality and Black now...

Yes from that angle maybee, but Ed has improved greatly with his technigue, and has added some diversity to his sining, Avocado has Ed singing on a higher level, he has learned to become a better singer, is his voice as stron, prob not, and he does run ragged in shows, but he also sounds way better on some of the no code thru Avocado tunes.
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • Options
    kai23kai23 Posts: 16
    my concern is for his health...I don't want Eddie TO GET LUNG CANCER!!!! OR
    have to be on oxygen in his later life. Eddie has a family that might just want him around for a long time besides us fans
    Shauna Kai Boone

- Darkness comes in waves--tell me--why invite it to stay--I will not lose my faith--it's inside job today--life comes from within my heart...just for today I am free...Eddie/Mike- Inside Job

10/7/96, 9/22/98, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 4/11/03,6/11/08
  • Options
    Alive-2005Alive-2005 Posts: 8
    Smellyman wrote:
    people keep mentioning the fact on faster paced songs he is sounding out of breath. I believe a lot of that is also due to the fact they seem to play WAAAAY faster live now.

It is shocking to hear how much slower songs like SOLAT, GTF, Evenflow, RVM etc. used to be played. they should slow it down again.

This is a great point! Listen to how fast they pick up the pace in Betterman. Not complaining here...but the difference is very noticeable.
    the world has come undone
    like to change it everyday
    change don't come at once
    it's a wave
    building
    before it breaks