Options

Eddie's Voice and the direction of pj

billyshearsbillyshears Posts: 71
edited May 2008 in The Porch
how much (i was going to write "damage" here , but instead i am going to write "altering" as i suspect some people prefer the change in eddies voice),, how much ALTERING have American Spirit cigarettes done to eddie's voice.

IMHO faster songs with eddie on the guitar while singing demonstrate this "change" the most. THE VH1 storytellers is, for me, the worst sounding Eddie i have ever heard (although, with that said, still an awe-inspiring set of pipes).

i am just curious on other people's opinion on the "change" and wheter or not they suspect an ensuing "change" in the direction of PJ (key-changes, different tempos etc.)

NB i do understand how people's voices change with years, whether or not one is a smoker, but i think his American Spirits have exacerbated this evolution?/devolution? of my favorite singer's voice
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Smellyman2Smellyman2 Posts: 689
    crikey. another ed voice/smoking thread
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    his voice was out of this world good on the solo tour.....he's not a dumb guy.....if the cigs start to affect his voice he'll know....
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    I don't Ed's voice is good for big heavy fast-pace songs as it was pre-95. I seem to enjoy and love the more mellow/soft songs from PJ this decade. That's what I get from his voice, it just seem really really scratchy for "rocker" tunes. Just my opinion though.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    if this has appeared already i am sorry, i don't spend that much time here as i am also a part of Creed's Message Board
  • Options
    muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    His voice definately isn't what it was, and I prefer his 'earlier' voice. But today, it's still fucking great. He sounds a bit more, er "squawky" but it's a good, rock and roll type of "squawk." Am I making sense?

Didn't like his vocals on the latest album though.
  • Options
    how much (i was going to write "damage" here , but instead i am going to write "altering" as i suspect some people prefer the change in eddies voice),, how much ALTERING have American Spirit cigarettes done to eddie's voice.

IMHO faster songs with eddie on the guitar while singing demonstrate this "change" the most. THE VH1 storytellers is, for me, the worst sounding Eddie i have ever heard (although, with that said, still an awe-inspiring set of pipes).

i am just curious on other people's opinion on the "change" and wheter or not they suspect an ensuing "change" in the direction of PJ (key-changes, different tempos etc.)

NB i do understand how people's voices change with years, whether or not one is a smoker, but i think his American Spirits have exacerbated this evolution?/devolution? of my favorite singer's voice

I'd definitely call it damage. Why sugar-coat it? We all know cigarettes hurt your pipes. Anyone who says smoking isn't damaging Ed's voice is blinkered - look at what happened to Cornell when he smoked too much for too long.

More importantly, look what happened when he quit.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    eh, he's just getting old. still pretty awesome voice though.
  • Options
    he should start dipping, still get his nicotine while keeping his lungs nice and PJ-c.93-Powerful.

I'm gonna send him a tin (whats his mailing address???)

"Dear Eddie, this is called skoal, put it behind your lip and throw those fucking cigarettes away!!!"
  • Options
    muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    I'd definitely call it damage. Why sugar-coat it? We all know cigarettes hurt your pipes. Anyone who says smoking isn't damaging Ed's voice is blinkered - look at what happened to Cornell when he smoked too much for too long.

More importantly, look what happened when he quit.

I don't think he's has bad as Cornell (yet). Cornell in Audioslave was almost unbearable, although he seems to have improved.
  • Options
    OneLoveOneLove Posts: 563
    I dunno...after seeing Ed in San Diego I have a hard time seeing his voice as anything short of perfection.

Sometimes I think people make waaaaay to big a deal out of Ed's smoking. Yes we know its bad for you...but if he didnt' smoke would anyone be talking about "the change"? I don't think so :)

Or maybe we would all be chalking it up to the fact that he sings his heart out at every show...after 15 years one could assume it could wear on the vocal chords.

Arc in San Diego...thats all I gotta say ;)
  • Options
    muppet wrote:
    I don't think he's has bad as Cornell (yet). Cornell in Audioslave was almost unbearable, although he seems to have improved.

I agree - Ed is still one of my favourite singers, whereas Cornell dropped off after I heard him mangle Hunger Strike a few times.:o (He's well and truly back now though.)

But I'd still say the cigs are having a noticeable effect on Ed's voice - listen to Release from 03, and then from 06. He can't go as deep, or as high anymore. The exact same thing that happened to Cornell.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    Sometimes I think people make waaaaay to big a deal out of Ed's smoking. Yes we know its bad for you...but if he didnt' smoke would anyone be talking about "the change"? I don't think so

you don't think people would be noting a change if he didnt smoke?? i dunno about that one. there is a noticable change in his voice (no value judgement here) and i suspect people would be discussing it. AT THE VERY LEAST BECAUSE PEOPLE HERE DISCUSS EVERTHING FROM THEIR FAVORITE ALBUM TO WHAT EDDIE"S BUGGERS MIGHT TASTE LIKE
  • Options
    He sounded phenomenal at berkely 2. Masters of War was jaw dropping.
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,402

Ed's voice still belongs to him even though he is your favorite singer.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    justam wrote:

:)
  • Options
    UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    he should start dipping, still get his nicotine while keeping his lungs nice and PJ-c.93-Powerful.

I'm gonna send him a tin (whats his mailing address???)

"Dear Eddie, this is called skoal, put it behind your lip and throw those fucking cigarettes away!!!"

hmmmm.......Ed's voice changed back in the no code/yield era. From then on, i think he has refined his singing.

It will never go back to the way it sounded in the early 90s, and I don't really want it to. I like where it is right now, the band is putting out very solid performances.
  • Options
    simplemansimpleman Posts: 425
    I gotta gets me some of dem french fried padadas....

i like his voice very much...
    " Jump from a cliff to fly, not to fall..."
  • Options
    OneLoveOneLove Posts: 563
    Sometimes I think people make waaaaay to big a deal out of Ed's smoking. Yes we know its bad for you...but if he didnt' smoke would anyone be talking about "the change"? I don't think so

you don't think people would be noting a change if he didnt smoke?? i dunno about that one. there is a noticable change in his voice (no value judgement here) and i suspect people would be discussing it. AT THE VERY LEAST BECAUSE PEOPLE HERE DISCUSS EVERTHING FROM THEIR FAVORITE ALBUM TO WHAT EDDIE"S BUGGERS MIGHT TASTE LIKE

OK, save the people who would discuss Ed's buggers, I think far fewer people would be discussing his voice sans the smoking.
  • Options
    vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,861
    i don't spend that much time here as i am also a part of Creed's Message Board
    :eek:
    well at least you have the balls to admit it ;)
    How about the nickelback boards ??
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • Options
    Sexy2aFaultSexy2aFault Posts: 388
    Lollapalooza was an indictment of Ed's voice being effected by his lifestyle. You could tell he spent 3 days straight drinking and smoking and, being in his 40's, he got tired... so while musically the band was in amazingly faqst grooves and totally rocking, Ed could not keep up.

Now withthat said, when Ed rests and has the energy he can still totally bring it, compare MSG1 03 where he was blown away by Ben Harper (again Ed was out o gas) with Mansfield 3 where he, for whatever reason, was able to bring it hardcore.

Anyway, that is only noticeable on the boots, in concert- in the venue- I haven't noticed any let down or any change from 98 when I attended my first PJ gig, to my last one in 06.

The fact that it is sometimes noticdeable on the boots is precisley why we will not get anymore of them offered to us.
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    I really don't give a shit if he smokes or not. Simply put, ed has a great sounding voice. He can wear it out beyond belief or slur his words during a song and his "actual voice" will still sound great.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    In My DreamsIn My Dreams Posts: 299
    Smoking affects voices. Doesn't matter if it is our beloved Eddie or any one else. How many of you know people that are not really as old as they look and have a deep raspy (sp?) voice? How many of you will sound like that in a few years?
    A real possibility I may meet you in my dreams ~ I go to sleep
  • Options
    ClariceClarice Posts: 256
    justam wrote:

Perfect.
  • Options
    JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,257
    Lollapalooza was an indictment of Ed's voice being effected by his lifestyle. You could tell he spent 3 days straight drinking and smoking and, being in his 40's, he got tired... so while musically the band was in amazingly faqst grooves and totally rocking, Ed could not keep up.

Now withthat said, when Ed rests and has the energy he can still totally bring it, compare MSG1 03 where he was blown away by Ben Harper (again Ed was out o gas) with Mansfield 3 where he, for whatever reason, was able to bring it hardcore.

this is spot on. anyone who was at Werchter will say the same, (eddie openly admitted that he'd been hanging around drinkin and smokin all day with QOTSA & KOL) at werchter and that was the reason he sounded like crap....and he did sound exhausted at that show.
    Then again i had friends there who hadnt seen PJ before who thought he sounded amazing!

but three days before in Copenhagen and the week before in Dusseldorf (when he had prepared better) he put out the two best vocal performances ive ever heard.

Its a combo of age & lifestyle:

Cornell August 03 - with audioslave, sounded incredible. pulled off all the crazy screaming from the album perfectly....then July 05 saw them again and he could barely talk let alone sing

Bono - 2001 and 2005 shows sound like two singers, he's just plain auld losing his voice, and doesnt have the energy to sing at full strength throughout a show..

compared to him Eds lasting very well
  • Options
    too picky.

the shows are more consistent night in and night out now. just listened to Birmingham 98 and it was kinda hard to listen too, starting w/ the opener Release. It hurt my ears.

He rarely has off nights like he did anything pre 2000, but he also doesn't try and scream his head off every night now too. It's a give and take.
  • Options
    rasty10rasty10 Posts: 68
    You can't compare the depth and strength of his voice circa ten and now. Listen to 'once' and it's obvious.
    BUT, we can't expect the same consistency during live performances. I saw them in camden '98 and I couldn't believe how scratchy his voice was, and then I saw them again almost 10 years later and his voice was much better. it's physiologically impossible for vocal cords to maintain their patency day in and day out.
    So, what is the conclusion? on the albums it's blatantly obvious he has lost, to whatever degree, some of that characteristic depth that gives his voice so much power...I put my hope in a change of direction for the next album.
    96-Prague
    98-Camden
    03-Camden
    06-Prague, Berlin, Vienna, Zagreb
    07-Katowice
    08-NYC I/II, Hartford, Mansfield I/II
  • Options
    HailRoad24HailRoad24 Posts: 133
    To me, there was a drastic drop off in his vocal range from 2003 to 2006. While I can understand having trouble with the faster paced songs as he has been singing them for quite some time, songs like Release he should still nail easily. Unfortunately, smoking does affect the voice. Burying one's head in the sand and saying that it hasn't affected him is laughable.

If he quit, he would hopefully regain that strong, rounded baritone from 1998-2003 era. 2006 just sounded whiney and squawky and Lollapalooza was a clunker for Ed.
    -PUSH ME AND I WILL RESIST!
  • Options
    Worldwide Suicide & Lukin @ Lolla are perfect examples of whats being said here.

However, If you listen to the Soldier Field show.. you see how much better his voice is now. 95-96 was rough in terms of Ed's voice.
    2004 - 10/1, 10/11
    2005 - 9/15, 9/16, 9/30, 10/1, 10/3
    2006 - 5/5, 5/12, 5/13, 5/27, 5/28, 5/30, 6/1, 6/3, 6/23, 7/22, 7/23, 12/2
    2007 - 6/27, 8/3
    2008 - 6/14, 6/19, 6/20, 6/22, 6/24, 6/25, 6/27, 6/28, 6/30, 7/1
  • Options
    digsterdigster Posts: 1,293
    I think the problems Eddie has had are a common one with smokers; breath control. You can hear it on the faster paced songs, like Worldwide Suicide for example. Pretty much every 07 version of that song I've heard Eddie has had difficulty getting the screams right and runs out of breath on some of the lines. On slower songs, it's a little better probably cause as a singer he has more time and control over how he sings his lines, etc. But there's no doubt his voice has taken a beating, and alot of the power is gone. He still has a great voice, but I'm surprised that people keep saying his voice is better now than it ever was. I mean, after thousands of shows and thousands of cigarettes, his voice is somehow improving? I don't really understand what shows they're listening to.
  • Options
    On the solo tour, his voice was unbelievable. There's nothing bad to be said about it. But, on songs requiring excessive shouting and screaming, yes, his voice doesn't have the power to belt it out in quite the same way. But that's just a minor issue with me, as his voice is perfect in every other respect.