what age did you get into the band

Comments

• Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    12 in 1991
  • Options
    Sian-of-the-deadSian-of-the-dead Posts: 8,963
    16 in 2000.
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options
    Gossard_Is_GodGossard_Is_God Posts: 1,031
    14 in 1999
    Pearl Jam - London Astoria 20/4/06....One hell of a night :)

Reading 2006 - WOOOOW!!!!!

Paris 2006 - Fucking amazing

Wembley 2007 :D
  • Options
    35 in 1992
    The wisdom that the old can't give away

How I choose to feel is how I am
  • Options
    ChadsStillAliveChadsStillAlive Indianapolis Posts: 450
    I was 9 years old in '92, which was when I most likely first heard them. I remember listening to the radio and watching MTV a lot back then (oh, how things have changed!) and hearing/seeing Jeremy a lot and being vaguely familiar with the songs Alive and Even Flow. I was young and hadn't made my big rush into music yet, so although I liked what I heard, I wasn't quite ready to get into it. I remember hearing the other singles as Vs. and Vitalogy came out and enjoying them, but it wasn't until '95 or '96 that I finally started buying albums and listening to the band closely. I bought Vitalogy first at age 13 and was blown away by how fucking weird and awesome it was. By the time Yield came out in February '98, I was at the record store bright and early to pick it up, raced home and blasted it all the way through. Do the Evolution and In Hiding just lambasted my brain. Incredible.

As the next couple of years went on and I got older I got deeper and deeper into drugs and started losing interest in most of my passions and became more and more depressed. Unfortunately, PJ fell by the wayside. I went to rehab in Summer of 2000 and was at the facility for two years. When I graduated in 2002, I enrolled at Butler University here in Indianapolis.

My freshman year R.A. was (and still is) a HUGE PJ fan. Thus, my passion was reignited. He helped my fandom move to another dimension. I finally went to my first show in Noblesville on June 22, 2003 and it changed my life forever, more than any of their albums ever did, have, or could. They went from one of my favorite bands of the 90's (I had always ranked them 2nd behind Rage) to the ultimate band of their generation and easily the finest rock band since Led Zeppelin. Then in 2006 that same R.A. took me with him to five east coast shows (Camden 1 & 2, D.C., and E. Rutherford 1 & 2) and after that it's been complete and utter obsession.

He and I are trekking to Madison Square Garden for both shows in June and I'm trying to work out a way to afford to get to Bonnaroo. I am so grateful to have this band in my life and to have discovered how spiritual and intensely powerful their live shows are. Thank you Pearl Jam.
    I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side.
    I am right by your side.
  • Options
    kenshuntkenshunt London, Ontario, Canada Posts: 2,863
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    I got Ten on tape the Christmas after it came out (Dec. 1991).

I was 2 months away from being 9 years old.

But don't think I was cool for a 9 year old... I got other tapes that would make some people on here cringe (myself included) but I was new to music at the time.
  • Options
    kh65kh65 Posts: 946
    Age 28 in '93.
    "If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much room."

Gambling=a taxation on stupidity.

Remember, you can walk anywhere, as long as you have the time.

http://www.ryanmontbleauband.com/

http://www.myspace.com/jessedee
  • Options
    whichwaysignwhichwaysign Posts: 229
    while sitting home alone at age 13 listening to Alive, true story
    'I'm like an opening band for the sun'
  • Options
    Alive_268Alive_268 Posts: 213
    Holy sh... i wish i knew pearl jam for alonger time, i got into them when i was 12, on 2006. I watched the world wide suicide video and thought "mmm, this is a cool band", then saw life wasted and i was "ok, i have to listen some more about them!", and when i listened to jeremy (i think i listened to it like 20 times), i couldn't stop listening to them
  • Options
    InHiding19InHiding19 Posts: 2,385
    man some of you guys are old :)
    Out of the Blue and Into the Black................Uncle Neil Philly 08 here I come!!!!
  • Options
    kh65kh65 Posts: 946
    Oxxys wrote:
    man some of you guys are old :)

Hey, we generally aren't any older than the members of the band.
    "If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much room."

Gambling=a taxation on stupidity.

Remember, you can walk anywhere, as long as you have the time.

http://www.ryanmontbleauband.com/

http://www.myspace.com/jessedee
  • Options
    zeroenvyzeroenvy Posts: 40
    age 20, 2007.

I knew all the hits for years though.
    6/27/08!
  • Options
    18 in 1992
  • Options
    RedMosquito02RedMosquito02 Posts: 2,560
    I was twelve back in '92 when I walked to Strawberries and bought Ten on cassette...I think I also picked up Eddie Murphy Raw the same day...I still can't believe that dude sold me "Raw" at age 12!

Anyway, wore the cassette out and purchased Ten on CD, one of my first discs....
  • Options
    nadja_veddernadja_vedder Posts: 291
    I was 14 in 1998, I had a tape of TEN that my friend gave it to me, which was the best thing that ever happened to me. But the first time I was able to see them live was in 2003 when I was 19!
    "makes much more sense, to live in the present tense"
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    30-ish, very early 30's. i remember being so happy to hear some NEW good music again after suffering through the crap of the 80's!

Viva La Pearl Jam!!!
  • Options
    piaget77piaget77 Posts: 156
    age 13 in 2002.
  • Options
    93/94 is when i seriously fell in love...so i was 16.
    (ha! you know you're getting old when you have to do the math!)
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    21 in '91
  • Options
    HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    12-13
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Options
    BlackCorduroyBlackCorduroy Posts: 1,374
    13 in 2003
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    probably 33?
    i know i joined 10c in 2002 at the age of 34, or soon to be anyway. :p
    i was a late pearl jam bloomer.
    :D
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    I think I may beat him. I was either 2 or 3, can't quite remember, though I do remember when Ten was the only album of theirs out, and also when Vs. came out. This is all thanks to my dad of course, he got way into them back them and thus passed it on to me. I'm 19 now.

Well same here, except not quite 2 or 3 years old. maybe 4 or 5. But did you honestly become a huge fan at 2 and continued one since? I think the message starter means when we became huge fans. I've been a fan since 13 and knew about them since i was like 4, but i havent been a huge fan since i was 16 in 2004. im turning 20 this year.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    bernmodibernmodi Posts: 631
    31, around 1998, with Yield.
  • Options
    pirlo21pirlo21 Posts: 534
    I was 14 in 1991. Borrowed a friend's copy of TEN and was blown away.
    Had been into Soundgarden through the same friend since Louder Than Love and kinda heard about the whole 'Seattle' thing. But hearing TEN for the first time was awesome!
    Cymru Am Byth

PJ albums, at the moment!! -
    1,Vs 2,Vitalogy 3,No Code 4,Yield 5,Ten 6,Backspacer, 7Pearl Jam 8,Binaural 9,Riot Act.
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    1991 - I was 15.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    moonbootsmoonboots Posts: 8
    I vividly remembering getting a package from Columbia House with 12 cassette tapes in it, Ten was one of them, but of course there was some Bell Biv Devoe in there as well. I believe I was 12 or so at the time. That tape didn't leave my yellow Sony Walkman for quite some time. I "high speed" dubbed it for my friends on blank Maxell cassettes. That album is really the anthem and soundtrack for my adolescence. I'm 28 now, have driven all over god's green earth to see them live countless times, and can't freaking wait for these East coast shows...
  • Options
    moonbootsmoonboots Posts: 8
    "I vividly remembering"

hahaha- along with my taste for music, I guess my grammar hasn't changed much since the age of 12 either...
  • Options
    GalianaGaliana Posts: 554
    39 in 2000 when I saw them in concert for the first time.
    Don't threaten me with a good time.